2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

LSJ Mean Mini Jetboat

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
holy crap someone is going to die in that thing! haha
Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been warned the "P12 relies on too many BCM functions such as VSS". How does the speed effect the pcm?

The only maps I have stumbled upon are the in the transmission dialogue and torque management. Is this the only connection between VSS and engine functions?

Does anyone know of any other dependency issues on the BCM inputs?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
People run them in rail buggys without a problem
Old 03-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice work so far - did you build the entire hull?

In for vids of 70mph LSJ Mean Mini Jetboat
Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlexBC
I've been warned the "P12 relies on too many BCM functions such as VSS". How does the speed effect the pcm?

The only maps I have stumbled upon are the in the transmission dialogue and torque management. Is this the only connection between VSS and engine functions?

Does anyone know of any other dependency issues on the BCM inputs?

Not sure anymore what a missing VSS signal does to the P12 performance (I think mostly gearbox and speed dependent traction protections, but most are switched off) , but I ran quite some time wihout. (if problematic, make a VSS sensorl on your propshaft. )
Other BCM signals can be simnply ignored/deleted.

Edit; checked some old postst and in my car I at least needed a working VSS signal for the fan settings (bit tricky those settings in a swapped engine, pm me for more details) Otherwise it keeps running once trigegred, as the ecu thinks you're still standing still in a traffic jam... And I needed a good speed signal for my on-track logging.

Last edited by Speedytec; 03-02-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 PM

Why didn't you use a fiberglass hull? Stronger, lighter, and cheaper.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Would an average Joe notice the poor tune or just a well seasoned tuner? Standalone suggestions?

I have been quoted $1500 for a MEFI 4B unit without an LS throttle body. I'm thinking about giving the stock a go then just test some other systems.
That's what I run in a rail. Nice and simple and have never had a problem. I hope reversion is not a problem. I thought all newer engines had a lot of that and don't run long with a wet exhaust. I don't know much about it but the cam keeps the exhaust valve open long enough that water from the pipe gets sucked back in the cylinders. A change to a marine cam is needed on hot rod V8's but to be honest that's all I know about it from reading Hot Boat magazine for a few years. Good luck and hopefully sombody can clear up weather or not this engine has any exhaust reversion. I see you have a factory looking exhaust. Is it ecotec specific and have others run them with out problems?
Edit: Reversion explained here but now imagine adding water. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...ine-reversion/
More insite on what types of cams are best. Beyond my pay grade at this point but the cam numbers may help decifer what you have. http://www.cpperformance.com/c-1501-...sion-cams.aspx

Last edited by Stumpalump; 03-04-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by SaberD
Why didn't you use a fiberglass hull? Stronger, lighter, and cheaper.
...because it's weaker, heavier and more expensive.

Have a look at the boats intended purpose

Taking hits like these playing in the river you'd end up with a fiberous mess of a boat, you really want to be able to pound the dents back out and keep on going. I would be very impressed if you could build a hull out of fiberglass, as tough as this, for the 432lbs it weighs(bare hull welded out)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
i doubt the 2.2 stuff will clear your best bet is to plug the heater core hookups
You are correct dear sir, it did not fit with the heater core tubes in place. Luckily they are the are the perfect size holes to be tapped to 1/2"NPT

Name:  IMG_20150303_183850.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  119.4 KB
Old 03-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stumpalump
That's what I run in a rail. Nice and simple and have never had a problem. I hope reversion is not a problem. I thought all newer engines had a lot of that and don't run long with a wet exhaust. I don't know much about it but the cam keeps the exhaust valve open long enough that water from the pipe gets sucked back in the cylinders. A change to a marine cam is needed on hot rod V8's but to be honest that's all I know about it from reading Hot Boat magazine for a few years. Good luck and hopefully sombody can clear up weather or not this engine has any exhaust reversion. I see you have a factory looking exhaust. Is it ecotec specific and have others run them with out problems?
Edit: Reversion explained here but now imagine adding water. Race Engine Reversion - Understanding Reversion And How It Affects Power - Circle Track Magazine
More insite on what types of cams are best. Beyond my pay grade at this point but the cam numbers may help decifer what you have. CP Performance - Lightning High Performance Anti-Reversion Cams
The manifold has been run successfully on these motors for quite some time. I think you would need a very large pulse in the collector to suck the water back up the 3" ID of that bend. Probably in the order of 28in^3(~.45L) going back into the motor to suck water back up the manifold. Because it's in the collector and has such short runners, the manifold is not making use of a tuned length. Shouldn't be a problem but stranger things have happened I suppose.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:16 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Haha that boat sank fast
Old 03-06-2015, 08:58 AM

GoPro Jetboat sinks again! - YouTube

Taking hits like these playing in the river you'd end up with a fiberous mess of a boat, you really want to be able to pound the dents back out and keep on going. I would be very impressed if you could build a hull out of fiberglass, as tough as this, for the 432lbs it weighs(bare hull welded out)
Lol I have never seen that before!! That's crazy! How much does the hull weigh? I have a GW invader (about the same size), and the hull weighs about 50 -75 lbs.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 AM

The manifold has been run successfully on these motors for quite some time. I think you would need a very large pulse in the collector to suck the water back up the 3" ID of that bend. Probably in the order of 28in^3(~.45L) going back into the motor to suck water back up the manifold. Because it's in the collector and has such short runners, the manifold is not making use of a tuned length. Shouldn't be a problem but stranger things have happened I suppose.
Glad to hear you understand the issue.
I run a light weight 16' aluminum V hull. Valco Bayrunner. Not a jet but the mid eighties 60hp 2 cly two stroke Johnson uses the same powerhead as the SST class hydroplanes. I set it up like a rear center console so I can stand to absorb the hits. It's my tenth boat. I grew up on a river, worked for a marina and for two boat manufactures. Had all sorts and even a big block 21' Concord but small aluminum boats are the best to drive and beat. All jets use a ton of HP so to run the rocks the you have the ticket with the light LSJ. The snap, throttle control and torque coming in at 2100 will be perfect. When we run the LSJ sand rail the folks with the slow mushy and heavy LS powered rigs look at my wicket fast junk in bewilderment. That jet boat will be the same because of the weight and instant full torque at low RPM. The V8's throw sand and slog foward but the LSJ snaps to life and gets on top of the sand. In and out of turns is better because at the crest I can instantly spin it up to steer with the rear. By the exit it's flat out gone in comparison and I'm running with some bad ass cars at Glamis. My experiance would suggest impeller and or fast idle solinoid to keep that thing at 2000 rpm so it maintains the explosive snap. OMG are you going to have fun!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

You are correct dear sir, it did not fit with the heater core tubes in place. Luckily they are the are the perfect size holes to be tapped to 1/2"NPT

you may have to run without a tstat plugging the holes affects the coolant flow for some odd reason
Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude that's Nukkin Futs . . ya'all are like salmon swimming upstream - I wanna try!

That aluminum mini jet boat is badass tho . . . looks like a ton of fun.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM

you may have to run without a tstat plugging the holes affects the coolant flow for some odd reason
Plugging which holes? I just ran the heater core flow though the oil cooler. No holes were plugged.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

i see what you did now if you had plugged the heater hose hookups for some reason it wont circulate the coolant very well ran into that with a 2.4 and are you using the river water to cool the engine or are you using a radiator
Old 03-06-2015, 04:04 PM

i see what you did now if you had plugged the heater hose hookups for some reason it wont circulate the coolant very well ran into that with a 2.4 and are you using the river water to cool the engine or are you using a radiator
River water though a heat exchanger
Old 03-06-2015, 06:21 PM

Cool part available. CBM MOTORSPORTS 2.0L/2.2L/2.4L/L61/LE5/LSJ/LNF ECOTEC BILLET WATER NECK BLOCK
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 PM

Do you run an inline thermostat with those?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 PM

Do you run an inline thermostat with those?
You would have to. Maybe on yout heat exchanger line. On high performance or race car apps you don't run a thermostat but instead use a signal from the cpu to control fan relays. quick search..
Amazon.com: Meziere WN0072 Inline Thermostat Housing: Automotive Amazon.com: Meziere WN0072 Inline Thermostat Housing: Automotive

Edit: What ever you do stay out of the boost untill your engine is at operating temp. It may be tempting to get on it as soon as you launch it in a raging river but let it get fully up to temp before you beat it. I run 170-180 and may see 200 max. Your results may vary but mine runs cool so I spend a lot of time warming up.

Last edited by Stumpalump; 03-06-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 AM

You would have to. Maybe on yout heat exchanger line. On high performance or race car apps you don't run a thermostat but instead use a signal from the cpu to control fan relays. quick search.. Amazon.com: Meziere WN0072 Inline Thermostat Housing: Automotive

Edit: What ever you do stay out of the boost untill your engine is at operating temp. It may be tempting to get on it as soon as you launch it in a raging river but let it get fully up to temp before you beat it. I run 170-180 and may see 200 max. Your results may vary but mine runs cool so I spend a lot of time warming up.
Okay I think I'll stay with the 2.2 thermostat housing. Thanks for the heads up on warming it up. It's typical to warm up on the trailer, but in the water before heading out.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 PM

A company called CNC makes all aluminum foot throttles for a cable. Pacific Customs may be the best bet for customer service. The grey cables made by Control Cables are the good ones FWIW but check this guys throttle out near the end of the vid. I guess you can get used to anything. The one I use and like: http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/me...w=&range_high=

Last edited by Stumpalump; 03-07-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 PM

That's a pretty reasonably priced pedal. I've added it to my bookmarks if I ever have to leave the stock ECU. The motor is running with the stock pedal with minimal wiring ans should, fingers crossed, be good to go. Hopefully it doesn't do anything funny under load.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 AM

How are you going to plumb the inner cooler? It would love ice cold water. I guess if you are out of cold water ports you could do a simple secondary supply thue a sea strainer. Latham Marine

For reference the mefi stand alone computer is a Mercury/Mercruiser marine controller. It's so perfect. I know you will continue to dick with the stock stuff but if you eventually swap, my tunner had to swap knock sensors to one that the mefi can read.

Quick Reply: LSJ Mean Mini Jetboat