2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

MAX whp on the M62 with a BUILT motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAX whp on the M62 with a BUILT motor?

I'm bored on this saturday and feel like debating whats possible on the M62 with a built motor. Most people say 300whp is the MAX.... but say, lets say someone wants to go twincharge later, or run a large shot of nitrous on a built motor, wants to build the motor and see what they can get out of just the M62 and no nitrous before completing their build...

If you think this is a dumb idea, theres no need to post, I'm just trying to strir up a relaxed, friendly saturday afternoon thread to talk about motors and tuning...

Lets say you got a full port and polished head, oversize valves, upgraded valvesprings, neutral balance shafts, an 8000rpm tune, forged pistons with larger than stock bore and some new sleeves, maybe even a higher compression ratio if that would gain more hp on meth than just turning the timing up? 3" intake, larger TB, ported intake manifold, ported blower, header/dp, dual pass w/option b, cobra h/e, killer chiller, progressive meth, smallest pulley possble on an 8000rpm tune, a set of 60's. Once she's all built-up, a really good tune.

Let the debating/arguing begin,lol, but lets just try to keep this friendly.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
subscribed...
Old 08-30-2008, 12:59 PM

subscribed...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:00 PM

300whp is definately NOT the max. That is about the max with the M62 and the stock pistons lol. I don't think it has really been explored fully to be honest, but I would be willing to guestimate with a fully built motor and all supporting mods etc with the M62 maxed out you may see close to 400 with meth and all.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

I would also like to see what it can handle....
Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Nice input guys

I think you could push over 300whp but I wouldn't go too far past.

EDIT: wow, fast responses. My "nice input" comment was to the 2nd and 3rd posts
Old 08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's not that the engine can't be built over 300, but with the M62, you start to push so far beyond it's efficiency range that it no longer can provide the power. things like meth, and nitrous will push it still further, but they can only go so far.

now, if you had a 2.5, all the supporting cooling mods/meth/cams/ and then a full port and polish of the supercharger, and head, with a blue-printed block, you may see 320-340 whp. just my educated opinion, not based on experience.

if you plan on doing this, then kudos, and like i said, i'll be watching...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:11 PM

really at max boost the m62 is really innefficient because it generates so much heat...the money you'd spend building the motor to attain MAYBE 340-350whp would be too much IMO...you woud be able to just buy a harrop kit for less or do a turbo swap and make more power
Old 08-30-2008, 01:11 PM

There are a couple things that come into play here.

The biggest thing is it is dyno dependant what the whp reading will be. If you have a friendly dyno you need to have a very small pulley lots o supporting mods and stupid tune and most likely race gas.

I had all the above minus the race gas but on meth and did 253whp, the car trapped 110 but the dyno was low reading.

Adding the other things into the mix you may sit at 345 whp on a happy dyno, you want more power ditch that compressor and then you will be in business. The only way you will see whp on the m62 is with nitrous.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

QFT sean!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM

The idea isnt to just cram a super-small pulley on there. The idea is to use more agressive cams to make more power up high, and rev it to 8000rpm. Also to add displacement by going with a larger bore. Add the gains from better flow of not just full bolt-ons, but also ported intake manifold, ported blower, and a ported head with oversize vales. Then you can turn up the boost as much as possible without bringing the blower out of its efficiency range too much, get all the cooling mods especially meth, and tune the **** out of it. If I were to venture a guess, I'd guess at somewhere around 350whp, but I'm far from an expert here.

The main point of this would be to make the engine more efficient at cooling and making better power for whatever boost your putting through it... then you can twincharge it and you've allready got a built motor to handle mad amount of power and all you'd really need to support it would be throwing on a clutch and some stage 2 axels. I'm not gonna toutch the motor or s/c till the car's either paid for or the warranty is up beacuse this is my dd, and the only car I own right now..... but I was sitting around drinkin and talking with my buddy about the best way to progressivly build this car into the low to mid 300's, then into the 400's with room to go BIG later on and this seemed like the best idea. I mean if you can make the motor run efficient enough to produce 350whp or close to it on the M62, imagine what that motor would do once you twincharge it! You wouldnt need obscene amounts of boost to push some big numbers to the wheels... that being said, if your not shooting for 500whp+ in the end, and have the money to twincharge it from the start, then it'd probably be easier just to twincharge it and only throw in some stock bored forged pistons in there, and hook up the meth, tune it and call it a day.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM

whats the point of spending all that money building ur motor JUST to use the stock SC??? it's retarded.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:47 PM

x2 qft
Old 08-30-2008, 03:47 PM

Subscribed.

Can someone post up with links to products everything that would be needed for 300+WHP
Old 08-30-2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SS07
Subscribed.

Can someone post up with links to products everything that would be needed for 300+WHP
here you go SS07--------> http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...8-P930C53.aspx
Old 08-30-2008, 03:53 PM

You all are forgetting the main problem. Once you start flowing enough air on the eaton to make 300+whp the stock intake manifold (even with porting imo) will still cause alot of turbulence leading to unequal air distribution. So to make over 300+whp I would say full exhaust header back (catless) with a 2.8 or 2.9 pulley ported head ti valvetrain with 8k redline, ported sc, full cooling including meth, GMR cams and INTAKE MANIFOLD, with actual runners. I mean look at some jackson racing SC RSX's. They have equal length runners on the intake manifold and are able to make stupid power with not alot of boost iirc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UPl...eature=related

Last edited by BoostedYards86; 08-30-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it all comes down to how much cfm you can push through the blower without heating it all up too much

Either way, I don't think twincharging is the way anyone wants to go once they research it enough.

Last edited by NGalaxyTimmyo; 08-30-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mnatvyc1223
whats the point of spending all that money building ur motor JUST to use the stock SC??? it's retarded.
The idea isnt doing it JUST to use the stock sc, the idea is to make the motor more efficient before you either twincharge it, or just turbo-only, or get a tvs. That way when you take the next step, your going to make big power without having to crank the boost up to max on those. The later on, you can turn up the boost on whatever s/c or turbo ends up on it and see huge numbers.

The amount of money spent wouldnt really be all that much more than a good build would cost anyway... it just comes down to carefully choosing your parts and alot of tuning. The only thing this'd really try to do that wouldnt allready be nessesary to properly build the motor for big hp is the neutral balance shafts($300 or so last time I checked) The valve-job, which cost would depend on where you get it done. And lastly, the larger than stock bore, which if I'm not mistaken it'd probably either not cost more or only be minimal cost extra to order the pistons in a wider bore, the extra cost would be in getting new sleeves. It'd really only cost maybe 1000 to 2000 more than a normal build-up, and those mods would help create more power down the road when you replace the M62 with a tvs or turbo, or when you twincharge the car
Old 08-30-2008, 04:03 PM

just do it all at once like me, theres no point in trying to make ur Heaton more efficient. all your doing is making the engine more efficient not to mention stronger and then holding it back by using ur stock FIA... like i said if ur gonna spend the money on the engine then spend it on the FIA and poop yourself when you feel how much less retarded it is.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MidnightNB
I'm bored on this saturday and feel like debating whats possible on the M62 with a built motor. Most people say 300whp is the MAX.... but say, lets say someone wants to go twincharge later, or run a large shot of nitrous on a built motor, wants to build the motor and see what they can get out of just the M62 and no nitrous before completing their build...

If you think this is a dumb idea, theres no need to post, I'm just trying to strir up a relaxed, friendly saturday afternoon thread to talk about motors and tuning...

Lets say you got a full port and polished head, oversize valves, upgraded valvesprings, neutral balance shafts, an 8000rpm tune, forged pistons with larger than stock bore and some new sleeves, maybe even a higher compression ratio if that would gain more hp on meth than just turning the timing up? 3" intake, larger TB, ported intake manifold, ported blower, header/dp, dual pass w/option b, cobra h/e, killer chiller, progressive meth, smallest pulley possble on an 8000rpm tune, a set of 60's. Once she's all built-up, a really good tune.

Let the debating/arguing begin,lol, but lets just try to keep this friendly.
Everything in bold, I currently have on my car, plus some more stuff you didn't mention like crankshaft, rods, and cams. I'm still breaking it in, but once it is I'm tuning and hitting the dyno, so the debate will be over
Old 08-30-2008, 04:18 PM

blown you need to hurry up those break in miles lol. I need some proof that you can make big numbers without going turbo lol. There's just something about instantly putting a car or two on turbo'd vehicles. I just need more top end lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UPl...eature=related
294whp on 10.4pounds. Ya he's also reving to 9krpm and thats why he has that much power. But they are capable of running 12 sec 1/4 with setups like that. Very few m62 LSJ's run 12sec 1/4s without nitrous.

Last edited by BoostedYards86; 08-30-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
Everything in bold, I currently have on my car, plus some more stuff you didn't mention like crankshaft, rods, and cams. I'm still breaking it in, but once it is I'm tuning and hitting the dyno, so the debate will be over
I noticed you didnt highlight meth and the larger tb on there... I know the tb might not have too big of gains, but you should really throw meth on there to see the potential out of this. If you hit the dyno without meth I dont think this discussion can really end beacuse with meth people are seeing 15whp+ on motors with less mods than yours.

I tought the stock rods and crank were allready supposed to be very strong according the the gm build book? I was udner the impression that new rods and crank wouldnt make much of a diffence unless you were gonna run a longer stroke, are you gonna run a longer stroke? Also, are your pistons stock bore? Either way, your right, once your car hits the dyno this conversation will be over assuming that you either stree-tuned it pretty good prior to hitting the dyno or are buying enough time on the dyno to see the max potential tuned out of it. I'm really looking foward to seeing the results of your build.

I had figured someone probably allready though of this, I just wasnt sure if someone actually did it and still had the M62 on it.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by MidnightNB
I noticed you didnt highlight meth and the larger tb on there... I know the tb might not have too big of gains, but you should really throw meth on there to see the potential out of this. If you hit the dyno without meth I dont think this discussion can really end beacuse with meth people are seeing 15whp+ on motors with less mods than yours.

I tought the stock rods and crank were allready supposed to be very strong according the the gm build book? I was udner the impression that new rods and crank wouldnt make much of a diffence unless you were gonna run a longer stroke, are you gonna run a longer stroke? Also, are your pistons stock bore? Either way, your right, once your car hits the dyno this conversation will be over assuming that you either stree-tuned it pretty good prior to hitting the dyno or are buying enough time on the dyno to see the max potential tuned out of it. I'm really looking foward to seeing the results of your build.

I had figured someone probably allready though of this, I just wasnt sure if someone actually did it and still had the M62 on it.
I am an avid hater of meth. Its something that you depend on working (pump not failing and what not), and if it doesn't work, you are fucked. One of my friends had a turbo civic with meth, he made decent power on "pump gas", one night the pump for his meth system failed, he got **** loads of detonation and boom went one of his pistons. Besides, on small pulls with my car so far, 1st - 2nd - and part of third shifting at 5500-5750 rpm my IAT2 increases less than 20 degrees. Also, I upgraded my crank and rods to round out the motor and make it THAT much more durable. Pistons are stock bore, the sleeves are weakest part of the motor (GM still tested stockers up to 700 hp), so removing more material from them is not smart. Plus I wanted to keep it at 2.0L. I also plan on getting an LS4 tb, and a custom 3.5" intake with LT1 maf. I hope to make around 330-340 whp on pump gas, and 370ish on race gas. I'm gonna be running 150 shot of N2O so if you include the nitrous I will be over 500 whp with stock blower
Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 PM

blown you scare me lol.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
I am an avid hater of meth. Its something that you depend on working (pump not failing and what not), and if it doesn't work, you are fucked. One of my friends had a turbo civic with meth, he made decent power on "pump gas", one night the pump for his meth system failed, he got **** loads of detonation and boom went one of his pistons. Besides, on small pulls with my car so far, 1st - 2nd - and part of third shifting at 5500-5750 rpm my IAT2 increases less than 20 degrees. Also, I upgraded my crank and rods to round out the motor and make it THAT much more durable. Pistons are stock bore, the sleeves are weakest part of the motor (GM still tested stockers up to 700 hp), so removing more material from them is not smart. Plus I wanted to keep it at 2.0L. I also plan on getting an LS4 tb, and a custom 3.5" intake with LT1 maf. I hope to make around 330-340 whp on pump gas, and 370ish on race gas. I'm gonna be running 150 shot of N2O so if you include the nitrous I will be over 500 whp with stock blower
not gonna happen.. off nawz u'll make 330 tops. i hope u understand that building ur engine doesnt mean its gonna make all kinds of crazy power...its just making it able to withstand all the power. the only thing u did to make more power was ur port and polish and cams.

mvp fully built a 2.4 with lsj head with cams the whole nine yards and tuned the **** outta his car and only pulled 29x out of it. with more displacement.

running a meth kit without some kind of way to monitor if its running is stupid. so ur friend blowing his engine is HIS fault, not the meth.

Quick Reply: MAX whp on the M62 with a BUILT motor?