2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

meth and the dd, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meth and the dd, thoughts?

ive got the basic bolt ons, CAI, 2.5" gmpp performance exhaust, 3" zzp long tube header and the gm stg 2 pulley/injectors/tune. What im looking for an answer on is if its possible to get a meth system reliable for a daily driver? Im very nervous about it because of the horror stories, similar to running NOS, not something id like to do on a daily driver but meth seems very popular for the cobalts so im looking into it. Im ordering the zzp stg 3 intercooler, option b and dual pass next but im told the power gains possible will be fairly modest with just that for cooling. im planning on a 2.8 pulley and 80lb injectors, will adding meth after that add real power? and can it be done safely. i know i can run the 2.8 and 80s with a conservative tune with just the dualpass and FMIC im just looking for what comes after that. anyone seen 30 or 40 thousand miles on meth without any problems? or is it track mod i shouldnt consider for daily use?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meth is nothing like nitrous. If you plan on running meth, you need a tune. Once you are tuned for it, its safe as can be...giving that you dont run out when you go WOT. That being said, meth will only spray when you go WOT, so for normal daily driving under light throttle...your meth isnt spraying.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
meth really isn't anything crazy like most people think. especially on our cobalts. set it to come on around 9psi and you won't even hit it during daily use of the car. and yes, once you tune for it you will see gains. but if you're more interested in cooling don't get too aggressive with the amount of methanol in the mixture
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
meth really isn't anything crazy like most people think. especially on our cobalts. set it to come on around 9psi and you won't even hit it during daily use of the car. and yes, once you tune for it you will see gains. but if you're more interested in cooling don't get too aggressive with the amount of methanol in the mixture
Even a properly set up wet shot of nitrous isn't very dangerous. The key with either is being properly set up. This isn't an area to do a hack job. Get the right electronics, filters, check valves ect....
Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
methanol dosent cool it adds octane
Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I run meth injection in my daily driver. So many people are scared that the pump is going to quit and your car will blow up. Just take proper precautions and you will be fine. I have a pressure switch in my line so I know when the pump kicks and and that its working.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 AM

I ran meth on my LSJ before I started using E. I was at 25*. Meth is great until you run into the pump failing or a nozzle being clogged. I had two friends here blow there engines because of the above examples. Once your tuned for that amount of timing your engine will still run it even if the meth fails. If you have access to E then run that. It takes all the what if out of the equation.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
I run meth injection in my daily driver. So many people are scared that the pump is going to quit and your car will blow up. Just take proper precautions and you will be fine. I have a pressure switch in my line so I know when the pump kicks and and that its working.
Question is do you have enough reaction time to back out under WOT before you knock?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
methanol dosent cool it adds octane
Correct but the water evaporating provides the cooling
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 AM

the failure rate is my concern, im just curious why there isnt a $1,000 kit with a real fuel rail and intake spacer, and there is no tuning set up like there is for NOS. our computer in stage 3 trim can turn NOS mode on and off, why isnt there a tune that uses this mode for with and without meth, and no meth purge set up to test to see if your meth is working? hell, make the spacer a phenolic one and kill two birds with one stone. Basically im just saying that the meth set ups, even the "good" ones look a little half assed, unlike the top end NOS set ups. where is the 5 gallon fuel cell with the meth pump and meth level sensor installed and ready to go? how about a meth level gauge that will fit into one of the gauge pillar spots? our cars have been around for 6 years at this point, why does this still seem like amateur hour?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by zfissette
the failure rate is my concern, im just curious why there isnt a $1,000 kit with a real fuel rail and intake spacer, and there is no tuning set up like there is for NOS. our computer in stage 3 trim can turn NOS mode on and off, why isnt there a tune that uses this mode for with and without meth, and no meth purge set up to test to see if your meth is working? hell, make the spacer a phenolic one and kill two birds with one stone. Basically im just saying that the meth set ups, even the "good" ones look a little half assed, unlike the top end NOS set ups. where is the 5 gallon fuel cell with the meth pump and meth level sensor installed and ready to go? how about a meth level gauge that will fit into one of the gauge pillar spots? our cars have been around for 6 years at this point, why does this still seem like amateur hour?
dude your over thinking things there are kits with level senders in them aem has one you dont need a seperate tune mode for meth and a purge kit lol get a wide ban and look at it from time to time when your under a hard pull get an interceptor guage and moniter it as well if you go lean or get knock back out and you will know if you look at your guages while under a hard pull
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Got Bewst?

Originally Posted by smthomas556
I ran meth on my LSJ before I started using E. I was at 25*. Meth is great until you run into the pump failing or a nozzle being clogged. I had two friends here blow there engines because of the above examples. Once your tuned for that amount of timing your engine will still run it even if the meth fails.
Question is do you have enough reaction time to back out under WOT before you knock?
Lol it's quotes just like this that I'm talking about. Did your two friends just hook up their meth and hope for the best? I'm going to say yes. Like I said I have a pressure switch in the line so when my meth kicks on a red led beside my boost gauge lights up to tell me the pump is on. No light, no pump on. And I have the annunicator on my interceptor set up for KR3 so if I get any knock at all it tells me. I run 25* too and have had the fuse blow for my meth. I saw no led light for the pressure switch come on and my interceptor leds lit up red too (meaning it was knocking) and I took my foot out of it. Your car isn't going to blow up the second it starts to knock. But if you keep it WOT it will. Like i said, if you take proper precautions you won't have a problem. If you have access to E it's definitley the way to go. But up in Canada we don't have such great things haha. So meth injection it is.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM

thats where im stuck, no e85 here in mass, 3 stations in the whole state and they are all at least an hour away, not practical for a daily driver. i guess its just that i like things to be all set, not made to work after the fact. id like to order a kit thats ready to go. gauges that match the appearance of the existing gauge, not the cheesy looking aftermarket crap. the interceptor sounds like a must and the pressure light too but why no pressure gauge? you know, flip the toggle switch that heats up the meth, glance over to the gauge and see good pressure, then step on the pedal. Im not saying i cant piece together something that will work, im saying, why doesnt it already exist? been 6 years right? And pump failure? really? there isnt some 500 dollar pump i can buy that wont fail even if its pumping concrete uphill? it just sucks that this risk exists at all. then theres phenolic spacers, but no phenolic spacer with 4 injectors and a fuel rail set up specifically for meth. its like meth is a wierd thing you dont here about outside of a small number of cobalt drivers. i mention it to fellow mechanics and they give me the is this guy crazy look.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Got Bewst?

Haha like mrbelvedere said, you are overthinking this way too much. You make it sound like you are running a ticking time bomb. Why would you need a pressure gauge? All you need to know is that there is pressure in the line. Then you know the pump is pumping. Flip a switch that heats the meth then glance to the gauge to see good pressure? Do you know how a meth injection set up works?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 PM

i get how the systems work, i guess what im hoping someone will say is that they have a complete fuel system, tank, gauges and all with its own ecm that runs through flow matched meth injectors. i suppose its possible to build one from scratch, just damn what a job, would need a entire second harness and sensor set. the existing systems just seem a little crude is all, guess i just need to find a shop that has it locked down, someone i can trust to get it perfect the first time, then i just keep the tank full and enjoy.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 PM

Lol it's quotes just like this that I'm talking about. Did your two friends just hook up their meth and hope for the best? I'm going to say yes. Like I said I have a pressure switch in the line so when my meth kicks on a red led beside my boost gauge lights up to tell me the pump is on. No light, no pump on. And I have the annunicator on my interceptor set up for KR3 so if I get any knock at all it tells me. I run 25* too and have had the fuse blow for my meth. I saw no led light for the pressure switch come on and my interceptor leds lit up red too (meaning it was knocking) and I took my foot out of it. Your car isn't going to blow up the second it starts to knock. But if you keep it WOT it will. Like i said, if you take proper precautions you won't have a problem. If you have access to E it's definitley the way to go. But up in Canada we don't have such great things haha. So meth injection it is.
Both tune cobalts so they did not just hook it up. I can say on my setup I had the red light on my dash for the pump and interceptor set like yours. I had no issue with mine. Some of it is just shitty luck. My one friend got debris on his nozzle. The light said the pump was spraying but that does not mean **** when its not reaching your intake...like I said just shitty luck. Meth is awesome but I prefer e if you have access to it.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 AM

how does meth and winter go... like in -25°C? anybody ever have the lines/nozzle/pump freeze
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 AM

I like to know that to
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 AM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-25.. well the most basic meth you can buy, the blue windshield wiper fluid is good to -20 and thats about ~40% meth.. If you're running anything above that.. You should be good for -25

oh youre saying celsius.. what the hell is that in farenheit
Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM

I ran meth in -40C and it never froze, i was still at 75/25 mix. Then again i never went into boost so it was never spraying but the tank/lines never froze up.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Got Bewst?

Both tune cobalts so they did not just hook it up. I can say on my setup I had the red light on my dash for the pump and interceptor set like yours. I had no issue with mine. Some of it is just shitty luck. My one friend got debris on his nozzle. The light said the pump was spraying but that does not mean **** when its not reaching your intake...like I said just shitty luck. Meth is awesome but I prefer e if you have access to it.
If you get debris in the nozzle and it's not reaching your intake you would knock like crazy. Gotta pay attention to those gauges haha.

Originally Posted by thedude411
how does meth and winter go... like in -25°C? anybody ever have the lines/nozzle/pump freeze
I ran meth all winter with just winter windshield washer fluid and never had an issue. We get -40*C in the dead of winter.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Man I run meth on my daily driver. Its reallllll simple. The AEM kit I have you can program it to what PSI you want the pump to turn on. I have mine set to 8. You can go up to 15. Its simple. Don't want the meth to kick on...stay outa boost...
Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 PM

What size nozzle would you guys run if you just wanted Meth for the cooling?

Seems like a fairly cheap alternative to option B or dual pass
Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Got Bewst?

Originally Posted by IonNinja
What size nozzle would you guys run if you just wanted Meth for the cooling?

Seems like a fairly cheap alternative to option B or dual pass
You aren't going to cool running meth. I have heard of guys running straight water for just cooling purposes. You would want to run a small nozzle. And an option b and dual pass don't really cool. They just recoupe your temps faster after a pull.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 PM

You aren't going to cool running meth. I have heard of guys running straight water for just cooling purposes. You would want to run a small nozzle. And an option b and dual pass don't really cool. They just recoupe your temps faster after a pull.
^This. The meth boosts octane rating so you can run more timing...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: meth and the dd, thoughts?