2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

My ZZP high flow cat went bad after only 1,200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sneaky
so.... if you knew the exhaust was sub-par then why buy it?
i didnt know they didnt make it themselves till i got it in the mail.

Originally Posted by Area47
first off. if you have modified the stock ecm, your car will not pass emissions.
sorry.
it barely got by with the stage 2 stuff, and that was pushing it.

second, contact zoomer, he WILL get it taken care of. unlike some other cobalt parts people, zzp is not like this.
i have free updates for my tune. i was planning on having hem flash it with an emissions legal tune when i need it.
I'm not a noob. why do you guys keep talking to me like one?

i will be contacting zoomer. but like i said before.. this downpipe is WELDED in. that will make it more difficult to resolve the issue on both ends.

BTW, spending x amount of money with someone means nothing.
i have spent enough with them with my past cars, but that does not mean i will get better service then anyone else.

customer service is customer service.
it means that i'm not a zzp hater. they are my preferred vendor. i like their service.. and if you go into their vendor threads.. i have made alot of praising posts.
and i never claimed that i would get better service than you or anyone else. learn to read.

reading>you.

Last edited by chevysalesman614; 07-18-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Just thought I would ask since I see this thread. How is the CA downpipe with high flow cat? Going to go with the 2.5" cuz 3 is to big IMO inless you well over 300whp. Also, can I use the AEM wideband with the CA downpipe with highflow cat?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM

^i dont know.. but theres a chance i will have to get one.. so I'll let you know if i do.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Well, I'm gonna back Sneaky on this one... before you install a new cat... FIX YOUR TUNE!

I can't even begin to count the amount of cat's we've blown here at work because of wierd a/f problems (when I say wierd I mean not gasoline fuel!). The only reason I've ever seen a cat wrecked is becasue the engine isn't running right, which also isn't good for the engine either!
Good tune = clean cat, dependable engine, better efficiency, and more power!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
^i dont know.. but theres a chance i will have to get one.. so I'll let you know if i do.
Yea, that would be great. I don't want to get the CA downpipe with highflow inless it bolts right on to the GMP manifold without any problems. Also I have a AEM wideband I want to install I have no idea if the CA downpipe and highflow have a spot for the sensor...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
is this a common problem? how can they sell pos parts like that for $200? do i need an entirely new downpipe now? where can i get one that will match up to my ZZP header. (never buying ZZP garbage again)
quote 1.

because it is a pacesetter.. not the equivalent.. it said pacesetter on the box...
i have every right to bash ZZP. i have spent more money there than 95% of the people on here. their service is fantastic. as well as the pulley system. i also love my springs.. but the exhaust is sub-par

p.s. i choose not to list all of my mods. just the important ones.. i also have alot of minor mods i purchased from ZZP. i think i will be sticking with HAHN racecraft for all of my future modding needs.

i know that problems are to be expected when modding, but this is rediculous. i do not want to spend any more money on the stock s/c setup. as it is getting me nowhere. I think I'm just gonna park it and drive my s-10 till i get my e-mail.
quote 2

i didnt know they didnt make it themselves till i got it in the mail.

i have free updates for my tune. i was planning on having hem flash it with an emissions legal tune when i need it.
I'm not a noob. why do you guys keep talking to me like one?

i will be contacting zoomer. but like i said before.. this downpipe is WELDED in. that will make it more difficult to resolve the issue on both ends.

it means that i'm not a zzp hater. they are my preferred vendor. i like their service.. and if you go into their vendor threads.. i have made alot of praising posts.
and i never claimed that i would get better service than you or anyone else. learn to read.

reading>you.
quote 3

do not back pedal. nor insult me.

i know the exact tune you have on your car.
i know how matt works. he will take care of his customers above and beyond anyone i have seen to date in the performance world.

im not attacking you by anymeans, you fired it off to me first.
i don't lay down that easy.

Last edited by Area47; 07-18-2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 PM

we chose to run it rich to protect the engine. this was the consensus a few months back. i think if this t/c setup dosent come out within a month or so, i'm just gonna get a R32 v-dub, and turbo it. at least then i can have something to show for all the time, money and effort.
the cobalt is a great car if you wanna be in the 13s. but without serious changes, you'll stay there forever. it's a shame that we're all finding this out after we bought it.
i guess i'm just fed up with this b.s. it's always something. i have had way more problems with the car than i chose to talk about cause most of them i fix myself. i come on here.. tell you guys the situation.. and ask: "where can i buy a d/p with cat that will bolt up to the ZZp header?" and so far, all you guys did was tell me what happened to the old one, and why i'm no different than anyother ZZP customer.
These things i knew already. i guess i have to wait till tonight, when the people who know what is going on, get online.

Thanks for teaching me not to ask the daytime noobs any questions.

quote 1.

quote 2

quote 3

do not back pedal. nor insult me.

i know how matt works. he will take care of his customers above and beyond anyone i have seen to date in the performance world.

im not attacking you by anymeans, you fired it off to me first.
i don't lay down that easy.
look at quote 2 above where you bolded my words. i praised zzp for their service right before i said i would not buy from them again. and yet again you skipped right over it to the negative comment. i did not back pedal. i have been saying they are a good vendor. i just think this header/downpipe is a piece of trash.
once again reading<you

when i recieved it, the o2 bung on the header was cracked... did i cry? no. did i call and complain? no. i just welded in a new one and moved on. then on the install of the downpipe, i got no o2 extension, did i cry? no. i just spliced the wires and moved on..this is the 3rd problem i've had with this, and i'm pissed, i have every right to speak my mind. STFU and get out of my thread

Last edited by chevysalesman614; 07-18-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Rent me! per hour

we chose to run it rich to protect the engine. this was the consensus a few months back. i think if this t/c setup dosent come out within a month or so, i'm just gonna get a R32 v-dub, and turbo it. at least then i can have something to show for all the time, money and effort.
the cobalt is a great car if you wanna be in the 13s. but without serious changes, you'll stay there forever. it's a shame that we're all finding this out after we bought it.
i guess i'm just fed up with this b.s. it's always something. i have had way more problems with the car than i chose to talk about cause most of them i fix myself. i come on here.. tell you guys the situation.. and ask: "where can i buy a d/p with cat that will bolt up to the ZZp header?" and so far, all you guys did was tell me what happened to the old one, and why i'm no different than anyother ZZP customer.
These things i knew already. i guess i have to wait till tonight, when the people who know what is going on, get online.

Thanks for teaching me not to ask the daytime noobs any questions.
keep in mind, i am one of those night time people.

cats go bad, they go bad faster when you dump fuel.
yes 11.0-11.4 is the ideal range. why? to keep cylinder temps down. i have found this out first hand on a couple cars i have done. what also happens when you do this, the cat gets clogged. i understand you want to keep your car legal, as do i, but it may have to some down to getting a test pipe put in, then swap it out for your emissions testing later down the road.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 PM

oh really? kind of hard to meet matt and go check out the tunes w/o even being close to nj.. unless someone is sharing matts tunes with you via HPtuners. he would probably be upset that his work was being distributed for free over the net.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Rent me! per hour

ok retard.. look at quote 2 above where you bolded my words. i praised zzp for their service right before i said i would not buy from them again. and yet again you skipped right over it to the negative comment. i did not back pedal. i have been saying they are a good vendor. i just think this header/downpipe is a piece of trash.
once again reading<you

when i recieved it, the o2 bung on the header was cracked... did i cry? no. did i call and complain? no. i just welded in a new one and moved on. then on the install of the downpipe, i got no o2 extension, did i cry? no. i just spliced the wires and moved on..this is the 3rd problem i've had with this, and i'm pissed, i have every right to speak my mind. STFU and get out of my thread

calm down superman, it's not the end of the world. not eveything is perfect.
this is called life.

oh really? kind of hard to meet matt and go check out the tunes w/o even being close to nj.. unless someone is sharing matts tunes with you via HPtuners. he would probably be upset that his work was being distributed for free over the net.
i have delt with matt for well over a year now on tunes, and various other things, and various other cars.

matt locks his tunes. do you know what that means?

Last edited by Area47; 07-18-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM

keep in mind, i am one of those night time people.

cats go bad, they go bad faster when you dump fuel.
yes 11.0-11.4 is the ideal range. why? to keep cylinder temps down. i have found this out first hand on a couple cars i have done. what also happens when you do this, the cat gets clogged. i understand you want to keep your car legal, as do i, but it may have to some down to getting a test pipe put in, then swap it out for your emissions testing later down the road.
thats not really an option, because, in a few months time, i will no longer be using this header/downpipe anymore. i'm just in need of a functional one until i go turbo. then i will have a whole new set of emissions problems to solve. however, i wont have to run so pig rich cause my heat pump will be gone.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm chevy did you buy the header with only 1.5 " primaries? from pictures on the zzp website the 2 headers look totally different.. mounting flanges (not hole placement but style of the bracket)... o2 bung on the zzp different style bent piping. You're the first person I've heard that has said that the zzp header is made my pacesetter, so this just seems odd.. considering how many people flame pacesetter.. you would think that would be header of before hand

the other way to fix it... *goes online.....*....*buys new cat*.... *find good performance shop*.... * removes exhaust system*...*sawzalls the cat out* .. *weld in new cat*... *reinstall exhaust*... good to go.. it's probably better than buying a new system man... and since it's only the cat thats bad... then why buy a whole new system
Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Rent me! per hour

thats not really an option, because, in a few months time, i will no longer be using this header/downpipe anymore. i'm just in need of a functional one until i go turbo. then i will have a whole new set of emissions problems to solve. however, i wont have to run so pig rich cause my heat pump will be gone.
the a/f rule applies if you are going to be using the stock intake manifold.

if you need something to get by, just hack the cat off.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM

I have to disagree that the balt is stuck in the 13s. You will all see soon enough...

IMO a balt with Stage II, polished supercharger (no porting), GMP manifold, GMP exhaust, downpipe with highflow cat, CAI, Ingall's ETD, dual pass, CA heat exchanger, and drag radials can be in the mid high 12s all day long. Traction is key.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There seems to be a lot of people just posting in here to incite arguments. Be helpful, or be quiet.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
I have to disagree that the balt is stuck in the 13s. You will all see soon enough...

IMO a balt with Stage II, polished supercharger (no porting), GMP manifold, GMP exhaust, downpipe with highflow cat, CAI, Ingall's ETD, dual pass, CA heat exchanger, and drag radials can be in the mid high 12s all day long. Traction is key.
Add stage 2 axles to that list or you will be replaceing once they break anyhow. If you can pull a 2.0 60' I can maybe see high 12s.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM

my stock cat went kaboom, tech told me it had melted, and came out in peaces on the shop floor..... i'm starting to believe this one is goin kaboom also. i have the stage 2 tune btw, and i plan on keeping that tune for warrantie reasons. after the warrantie is gone, i'm gonna pound the guts outta my cat
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
There seems to be a lot of people just posting in here to incite arguments. Be helpful, or be quiet.
Seems half the threads I read on here get like that. Gets annoying if you ask me.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BriantheLion26
Seems half the threads I read on here get like that. Gets annoying if you ask me.
QFT... it's getting really flame happen..as well as troll happy on this board
Old 07-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by saunders1986
my stock cat went kaboom, tech told me it had melted, and came out in peaces on the shop floor..... i'm starting to believe this one is goin kaboom also. i have the stage 2 tune btw, and i plan on keeping that tune for warrantie reasons. after the warrantie is gone, i'm gonna pound the guts outta my cat
that just sounds, really. bad.

anyways

the stock cat has a 80k mile warranty for emissions purposes.

now, chevy's problem is, the magnaflow cat on his car went to ****. i believe mine is going the same direction. no biggie to be really. there should be a warranty on it regardless of who put it on.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
hmm chevy did you buy the header with only 1.5 " primaries? from pictures on the zzp website the 2 headers look totally different.. mounting flanges (not hole placement but style of the bracket)... o2 bung on the zzp different style bent piping. You're the first person I've heard that has said that the zzp header is made my pacesetter, so this just seems odd.. considering how many people flame pacesetter.. you would think that would be header of before hand
i dont remember the size of the primaries... but i selected the biggest ones. pic of header:
note* box seen in pic contained ssc springs, not the header.

the other way to fix it... *goes online.....*....*buys new cat*.... *find good performance shop*.... * removes exhaust system*...*sawzalls the cat out* .. *weld in new cat*... *reinstall exhaust*... good to go.. it's probably better than buying a new system man... and since it's only the cat thats bad... then why buy a whole new system
*buys new d/p* .. *does own installs*.... *has own sawsall*...*has own miller mig welder*

i do all my own work (aside from tuning) and i agree it would be easier. but why buy something that will probably go bad again.. and keep my car off the road for a week ( or more cause i'm busy) while i'm doing the install? especially since i have all my funds in order to buy the turbo swap. these parts will do me no good soon. its not the $200. i have that to spare.. its the fact that i just did this install like a month and a half ago with NO lift, and the car is lowered. this is a huge pain in the ass for me. i dont want to be under the car (on jackstands) cutting and welding again.. especially cause i just spent a weekend doing it not that long ago.
I guess i just made the thread to vent a little

that just sounds, really. bad.

anyways

the stock cat has a 80k mile warranty for emissions purposes.

now, chevy's problem is, the magnaflow cat on his car went to ****. i believe mine is going the same direction. no biggie to be really. there should be a warranty on it regardless of who put it on.
on the magnaflow cat? manufacturers warranty, or zzp's?

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS

maybe, maybe not, but theres a few parts you're gonna need that are not on that list.. roughly $2k worth.. you need to re-evaluate that thought.

Originally Posted by BriantheLion26
Add stage 2 axles to that list or you will be replaceing once they break anyhow. If you can pull a 2.0 60' I can maybe see high 12s.
and an expensive clutch. the stocker wont hold up for more than a few passes.

either way. thats not the purpose of this thread, and i regret making that statement.

Last edited by chevysalesman614; 07-18-2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM

i just think it's silly to spend more money than you need to especially when the cat's just the issue
Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM

QFT... it's getting really flame happen..as well as troll happy on this board
i think making premium membership mandatory would get rid of 99% of the trolls.
i would pay it, just to be rid of them.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Your own installs = only way to do it! +rep for you.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM

do you guys think leaning out the tune on a new cat would be ok.?

sure... fine for the cat.. but isn't the dumping of the fuel part of trying to keep theheat down and the engine safe?

Quick Reply: My ZZP high flow cat went bad after only 1,200 miles