2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

New to the cobalt ss/sc

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the cobalt ss/sc

Sup guys im new to the cobal ss and i was wondering what should i get for my first upgrades n all... this is my first stick car and i went to the track and got 14.8 but i was wondering what upgrades will be good for the car and wat will stage 2 or 3 get in the 1/4
and do u have any tips on launching
Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM

14.8 is pretty good for a first time at the track, what was ur 60ft?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Launching, stock its quite simple. Rev the motor in the 3k range and let go of the clutch quick w/out dumping it. full throttle until about 6200k, then power shift in 2nd.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM

yea is it jsut me but when i dont feather the cluth i can unbelievalbe wheel hop
Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by martinsmu
Launching, stock its quite simple. Rev the motor in the 3k range and let go of the clutch quick w/out dumping it. full throttle until about 6200k, then power shift in 2nd.
I would be careful w/ that approach. Launching that high could produce wheel hop which has broken stock axels on stock power. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying if you get the slightest bit of wheel hop, back off of the throttle and ease into it as much as you can w/o causeing more hop...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:28 PM

should i just get the tourqe dampner b/c i hear that reduces it completly and what are the times a stock ss gets and what are the time a stage 2 gets?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:30 PM

Get the intense suspension package. ETD is a band aid. I like mine, but I wish I had the suspension package.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:34 PM

Ive had mine for two years and had the stage 2 and exhaust since it came out with no problems at all. I suggest keeping your launch real low in first so that you can chirp second to get that full gear down. I usually let out at about 1200.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSalexSS
Sup guys im new to the cobal ss and i was wondering what should i get for my first upgrades n all... this is my first stick car and i went to the track and got 14.8 but i was wondering what upgrades will be good for the car and wat will stage 2 or 3 get in the 1/4
and do u have any tips on launching
That's a pretty decent time for your first stick and the first time at the track. As far as upgrades, it all depends...

Are you concerned about warranty? How far do you want to take it? How experienced are you with cars? How deep are your pockets?

All very important questions you have to ask yourself. Chances are, you're not that experienced with modifying cars because you came here to ask this question. Not putting you down or anything, just seems to be the trend. There's nothing wrong with that.

I would suggest you start small and work your way up. That way you can do most, if not all, of the work yourself and learn a lot in the process. I personally think the car is a great daily driver from the factory, but think the bushings should be addressed first. I would suggest looking into control arm bushings(CAB's), tranny mount inserts, and an engine mount insert. Those upgrades will give you some more vibrations in cabin but give a much more solid feel when launching. I would also reccommend looking into aftermarket springs like the Eibach's, SSC's, or Tenzo's. There may be more, but that's all I could come up with off the top of my head. Eventually, new tires would help your 60 foot times as well. From there, I personally like the no hassel aspect of the GM Stage II. It's a great start for more power in a daily driver. Then, open up the intake and exhaust and you've got the possibility of a 13.7 second car (That is such a guesstimate). Things like elevation, temperature, track prep, will all effect what times you can get. Someone at see level in cold weather with a great launch could prob definately top that time. An average driver should be in the high 13's with that...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM

should i ease the clutch when launchign or quickly realease?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:39 PM

yea well i got the money to blow and i am concerned about warranty and i want to take is far... because my bros srt-4 is stg 2 and i want to do sumthin to be able to beat him lol
Old 12-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Get the intense suspension package. ETD is a band aid. I like mine, but I wish I had the suspension package.
I second that. The intense suspension package is the CAB's with the tranny mount inserts. Definately what I wished I would have done instead of the ETD. I like the Ingall's but I think it should be an accessory installed on top of those and an engine mount. Definately not the first thing I would do if I had to do this all over...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:43 PM

so the CAB's would be better off then just doing the ignalls? and would that be under warrany or no
Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 PM

yea well i got the money to blow and i am concerned about warranty and i want to take is far... because my bros srt-4 is stg 2 and i want to do sumthin to be able to beat him lol
Get the TagRacecraft turbo kit, and then proceed to have a nice day. Axles and clutch will be a must. You're looking at around 5 or 6 thousand dollars.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM

so the CAB's would be better off then just doing the ignalls? and would that be under warrany or no
Dealer dependant.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:46 PM

You've got a-ways to go to be ahead of your brother. I wouldn't recommend building a car just to compete with one specific car. Are you only interested in beating him at the drag strip? Because I wouldn't have bought a SS/SC if I wanted to be whoopin' SRT-4 ass at the drag strip.

I bought the SS/SC to modify and have an all-around impressive daily driver. You can build this car to be pretty damn fast at the drag strip, but it takes a lot of work and planning. It's not something that fast and easy. I would stick with a slow approach learning about the car and both its strengths and weaknesses before going all out.

If you don't care about what I'm saying and just want to have a badass car. Go to a company that offers upgrade packages with custom dyno tuning and have them build your car to beat your brothers. Just not what I would do. It defeats the whole idea of being a car enthusiast.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:46 PM

Get the TagRacecraft turbo kit, and then proceed to have a nice day. Axles and clutch will be a must. You're looking at around 5 or 6 thousand dollars.
screw that ****, supercharger swap.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by campo165
^^screw that ****, supercharger swap.
Or that. Either way, it won't be cheap. Hell I've got over 2 grand in my whip and I'm no where near where I want to be.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:49 PM

...and would that be under warrany or no
The Ingall's wouldn't be warrantied by the dealer. It's an aftermarket product. But what I think you're trying to ask is if you'll have problems with warranty work because of the ETD. That is a dealer call. Call around, find a dealer that understands your interests in modifying and that you're looking for a dealer who understands that. Tell them you're not looking for them to warranty things you break, just things that break under normal circumstances that aren't related to aftermarket parts.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:51 PM

yea i want it to be supercharged no matter waht because he things supercharges are peices of **** so i want to try and do sumthin to prove that they are not and wat are the top speeds of these cars stock lol and yea i appreciate everyone helpin
Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM

I would say go to GM stage 2 but the other stage kits are also good but no warrant. getting an ED and other wheel hop inhibitors is a must with these cars also. I have a ED and stage 2 and got a 14.13. I could have done better. To beat a SRT4 you might have to go with a 2.8 pulley, 60 lb injectors and a tune. That would be a good race. I am not sure what the SRT runs with stage 2 but with the modes I suggested you will be close to 13.8 to 13.6.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:55 PM

Or that. Either way, it won't be cheap. Hell I've got over 2 grand in my whip and I'm no where near where I want to be.

damn...i have 0 dollars into my car but I'm hoping to meet the 350whp cobalt with a supercharger swap this weekend so we can talk
Old 12-12-2006, 03:56 PM

yea i want it to be supercharged no matter waht because he things supercharges are peices of **** so i want to try and do sumthin to prove that they are not and wat are the top speeds of these cars stock lol and yea i appreciate everyone helpin

You should clean this up a little but the top speed is around 145ish.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:58 PM

Top speed of the Cobalt Stock is drag limited to somewhere around 135. Someone can chime in with the exact numbers. Your brother is ignorant or just trying to get a rise out of you. Superchargers are very efficient and have their positives and negatives just as turbo's do...
Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM

yea i c but is it true that u can replace the supercharger with the new supwercharge that came out i was reading up on it recently in this forum but yea i dunno im gopin to get mid 13's my friends is in a racing club (endless addiction) and he runs low 12s 2 mid 12's but he has a 75 shot bottle of nos but i dont kno if he uses it(he has cobalt ss)

Quick Reply: New to the cobalt ss/sc