2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

No introduce yourself thread, so thought i'd do it here... New guy with ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No introduce yourself thread, so thought i'd do it here... New guy with ?'s

Hey y'all,
Like it says above, I found no "introduce yourself" thread on here anywhere, so thought I would do it here with my first post and ask some questions...

First off, my name is Scott and I am a HUGE vehicle fanatic!!!!!!!! One could say I'm pretty much a 41 year old kid that just refuses to grow up... I may be a "newbee" to this forum, but am a veteran to a couple of other forums that I am currently also a member with; LS1 Tech.com and CBR1000RR.net. Obviously a member at these places because of vehicles I currently own which are (and will have pics below):

1998 WS-6 Trans Am: (500 HP and VERY MODIFIED)
2006 Monte Carlo SS: (Quite a number mods as well)
2007 CBR1000RR: (Yes, this one is modded too)

And as of last Monday, with a couple of years of wanting and waiting, am the proud owner of a 2007 Laser Blue Cobalt SS/SC. I have been lurking around this site for quite some time now (over a year) getting ideas and seeing what all was going on with what I knew was going to be my next vehicle purchase. Now that it's parked in driveway, now is my time to start to contribute here on the forum...... I'm very much a "gearhead" so to speak, mostly with bigger American muscle platforms. So this whole Ecotec thing is going to take some getting used to... But have no fear, I am a FAST learner!!!!!!!

I have got a fairly good grasp of this Cobalt platform from doing alot of reading and studying and going thru this forum. Like most of you on here I'm sure, my Balt is DEFINATELY going to have mods done to it before too long!!!!!! The plans for Ole Blue are:

Full Exhaust (Headers, DP, and Catback)
3" ZZP CAI
Stage 3 ZZP or Stage 2 OTTP Kit (60#,Heat Exchanger, Dual Pass Endplate, Custom Tune)

Not the most modded Cobalt out there, but will be just right for me. Anyway, I pretty much know which ways to go for most of this stuff... My questions are going to fall mostly in the exhaust end of things.

Now, before I get into the questions, I would like to preface them with a couple of points. First, being a long time forum member other places (and here), I know the sacredness of the search button and how to use it. Like I said earlier, I've been on this site over a year and this is my first post. I've searched long and hard for any question I've ever come across in relation to the Cobalts, and most of them I've found by doing a bit of research. So I'm not one of those guys that is lazy and is just looking for the easy answer without looking mysef first. But these below I just haven't gotten an answer to my satisfaction.

Second, I've always had expensive tastes.. (Anyone else cursed with this one???) I've always agreed with the old saying that "you get what you pay for." I've never minded paying a bit more to get what I want, especially when it came to my toys. However, I'm not Bill Gates or have a money tree growing out in my back yard, so it's nice to be able to save money when I can as well. I have come across many situations in my past (and not just with vehicle related stuff) where less expensive not so name brands (or no name brands for that matter) perform or do just as well as the expensive top of the line items. So I will have some querys on this topic below as well.

Ok, I think that is enough intro about me and what I'm like... Now to my questions

First off is a header question. Coming from my experience in the F-Body world, long tube headers are usually considered the way to go over shorty's. The gain in low end HP and torque pretty much made them the header style of choice for most people. Now, I haven't found a definative answer to the question "do the Ecotec cars react the same way that F-Body cars do that long tube headers are the desired way to go?" I know that Pacesetter and ZZP have some nice long tubes and have heard both work great. But I have come across what seem to be a very nice set of shorty's from BadMab.com for just a song of a price!!!!!! If they'll perform just as well or almost as well, great.. Anyone have any input on this long tube/shorty comparision with our cars or have any direct experience with these shorty's from BadMab???

Second, which I have seen to be a highly contested topic, is exhaust size. I have heard the arguement that unless you are producing just CRAZY amounts of boost and are in that 350-400+ HP range, 2.5" exhaust is plenty for our cars. Any bigger and one loses low end HP and torque b/c of a loss of back pressure. Then I hear many that stick with the old aurgument that "bigger is better" and go large as you can, like 3" all the way back from the DP. Anyone have any words of wisdom on this topic???

And third, is an exhaust I'm looking at. Now don't get me wrong, there are a fair number of high(er) priced catback's that I like. I'm a big fan of the Corsa stuff, and Magnaflow has very nice stuff as well... (Hell, I even have Magnaflow's catback on my Monte) But I have come across what looks to be a pretty nice system from Megan; their Drift-Spec catback. And have found it for quite a smok'in price!!!! I've done some extensive research on this system, and in all that I have found, it seems to be a pretty quality unit. I understand it is a bit loud, but that's not too much of a concern. Most who have bought it that I have come across say it has good build quality to it, with maybe the exception of the muffler..... My big concern is how is it out on the highway at speed? Does it have alot of drone to it in the cabin???? Of the few clips I have heard of it inside the car, doesn't seem to, but may be hard to tell from a sound clip from a video camera or phone. Anyone with any real experience with the Megan Drift-Spec??:

Well folks, that about wraps it up for now. I'm sure I will be talking to a fair number of you over the next few years as I enjoy my new Balt.. Seems to be alot of good, knowledgeable people here and look forward to getting to know many of you better. As I stated above, below are a couple of photos of the other stallions that will be sharing the stable with "NEW BLUE..."

Like a wise person once told me, "He who dies with the most toys WINS!!!!!!"

Satan's Grandchild

The Monte

The Repsol

Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM

Well let me be the first to say welcome!
I don't have the most knowledge of these cars yet, but I will comment on the exhaust.
Bigger isn't necessarily better, I would stick to 2.5" unless your gonna be over 300whp.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the site! I'm the guy that runs Bad-Mab.com and I have had nothing but positive feedback from the shorty headers. I just received the following e-mail this past week:

i just received the header i ordered from bad mab a few weeks ago. the header is very good quality, looks awesome, sounds great and produces more power. i calculated a 14hp increase and 18 ft lbs increase in torque. instant bolt on power. car was on dyno before and after the install of your header. the fit was perfect also. i wish everything i bought for my car fit and looked so good. i will recommend your product to anyone who wants a quality product for an awesome price. thanks, your product is #1!!

Thank you for your consideration and I hope this helps,

Brad
Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 06SuperSportChevy
Well let me be the first to say welcome!
I don't have the most knowledge of these cars yet, but I will comment on the exhaust.
Bigger isn't necessarily better, I would stick to 2.5" unless your gonna be over 300whp.
you are so wrong stock is 2.5 op go 3in build for the future and only spend it once
Old 12-18-2010, 08:43 AM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome! share some pictures of the new 'balt
Old 12-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums. Very nice Ws6 those were my favorite Fbodies. I could never find one under 24 k when I looked years ago. I love the bike dude. I have a 98 Ninja Zx7-R full muzzy exhaust header/can, Stage 1 jet kit, k&n air filter quick accel kit from JT sprockets its pretty fun and really fast considering I haven't bored it or got retarded with a turbo build yet lol
Old 12-18-2010, 08:53 AM

Welcome to the forum, lets see some Cobalt pictures.

Believe there is only a few people running 3 inch exhaust on the LSJ. I have hear the same thing, unless your pushing over 300hp the 2.5 is plenty. I am sure people with the 3inch will chime in.

I am at the point were i need to upgrade my exhaust setup as well. Currently just a 3 inch catless dp into a stock exhaust. I am looking at the 2.5 Corsa exhaust myself and i few different header options.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:26 AM

I am also. well sorta new here. I have been a member for a while, I just dont speak much. Some of you guys are really knowledgable about upgrading Cobalts, I get a lot of very useful info here.

I own a 06 SS Supercharged G85, Victory Red.

I LOVE MY CAR

So far I have only done a ZZP Computer Flash and a ZZP 3" Down Pipe. Victory Red Painted Gen2 Headlights with 6000k Exenon Headlight Kit. I just bought some 19"ASA wheels and plan on buying Lowering Springs before I put them on. I live about 4 miles from ZZP so I plan on doing many more Engine upgrades in the near future.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by BADMAB
Welcome to the site! I'm the guy that runs Bad-Mab.com and I have had nothing but positive feedback from the shorty headers. I just received the following e-mail this past week:

i just received the header i ordered from bad mab a few weeks ago. the header is very good quality, looks awesome, sounds great and produces more power. i calculated a 14hp increase and 18 ft lbs increase in torque. instant bolt on power. car was on dyno before and after the install of your header. the fit was perfect also. i wish everything i bought for my car fit and looked so good. i will recommend your product to anyone who wants a quality product for an awesome price. thanks, your product is #1!!

Brad

Well son, thank you for the post up and for the welcome. (And to you others that have posted up and welcomed me, thank you as well.....)

Well Bad-Mab, you've sold me. That testimonial you posted was exactly what I was looking for/needing. Wanted to hear some input from someone who actually has them and this guy doing some dyno testing is even better!!!!!! (Any other testimonials you could pass my way on these headers???) Anywho, these things sound like the bomb so have no fear, you will be getting some of my retirement funds quite soon!!!!!

As far as pics of "New Blue", will get some up as soon as I can. Like I said, I just bought the car last Monday and on Wednsday I had to leave on my rotation for work for 8 days. So I've only got to play with it for a day or so thus far.... Also, I'm waiting for the new rear wing to come in at the dealer. The car only had the smaller wing on it, and I'm one of those guys that thinks a SS/SC should have the larger wing out back... Just makes the car to me.... But I will get pics up soon as I can. (May even try to get a family portrait if I can fit everyone in the driveway.....)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ULWiz Cobalt SS/SC
Welcome to the forum, lets see some Cobalt pictures.

Believe there is only a few people running 3 inch exhaust on the LSJ. I have hear the same thing, unless your pushing over 300hp the 2.5 is plenty. I am sure people with the 3inch will chime in.

I am at the point were i need to upgrade my exhaust setup as well. Currently just a 3 inch catless dp into a stock exhaust. I am looking at the 2.5 Corsa exhaust myself and i few different header options.
more peope then you know buddy and stock is 2.5 3in is the only way to go build for the future
Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BADMAB

Brad
+1 on an awesome product! My SS/SC is currently sporting a Mab-Fab shorty and showed dyno gains as well. Excellent quality and fit. Its been on for about 4k miles now with signs of deterioration, leaks, cracks, etc.

Welcome to the forum, Scott. I'm a former F-Body owner myself. I'm new to this site too, but have been an active member at mustangforums for years. I've been through more modded cars than anyone should, but decided to try something different and go with a boosted FWD. I have enjoyed the Balt so far and have gotten a lot of good info from this site. These cars definitely respond well to mods, but are unfortunately pretty limited by the M62. Luckily there are tons of options or routes to take to get around it. What are your intentions/goals with the SS/SC?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stone629
+1 on an awesome product! My SS/SC is currently sporting a Mab-Fab shorty and showed dyno gains as well. Excellent quality and fit. Its been on for about 4k miles now with signs of deterioration, leaks, cracks, etc.

Welcome to the forum, Scott. I'm a former F-Body owner myself. I'm new to this site too, but have been an active member at mustangforums for years. I've been through more modded cars than anyone should, but decided to try something different and go with a boosted FWD. I have enjoyed the Balt so far and have gotten a lot of good info from this site. These cars definitely respond well to mods, but are unfortunately pretty limited by the M62. Luckily there are tons of options or routes to take to get around it. What are your intentions/goals with the SS/SC?

Thanx for the welcome. My goals with the Balt are pretty much like yours is setup. I listed what I am planning to do in my first post. (Full exhaust, 3"CAI, and a Stage 2 or 3 kit, 60#, H/E, and dual pass endplate). If I can get 230-260 fwhp I will be happy.

I've always appearence modded most evey nice car I've ever had as well, usually wheels and tires and like my Monte did the ram air hood. But also, every nice car I've ever had has been a "fair weather car only. Like the T/A and the Monte, they don't come out at all in bad weather. I don't even drive either of them when it's wet.. They are dry, fair weather cars only. And would love to do this with the Balt, but we traded off a car that we drove year around, so Ole Blue is gonna have to be too. It's killing me right now with the snow and crap we have at home, but it's just something I'm gonna have to get used to... Will probably end up putting some TSW wheels that I like on there (18's or maybe 19's) with some Nitto NT555's for summer wheels and tires.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Talking chevycobaltss3 interview !

my name is james, i have a 2010 hyundai elantra touring with every option. faster then hell. I also have a 1985 celica gt-2 with a blown 22re and a r154 tranny. im rebuilding it to be my basic circuit car. i also had a 2006 lsj and loved it, i wont go into mods because i had everything. It got totalled with the help of my axels sanpping. I also had my 1jz swapped mk3 supra. and now i own my 2009 tc cobalt with a full hahn setup. now built and and now scared of breaking more ****. I used to be a lexuz toyota diagnostics tech, and went to school for tuning and automotive engineering. i had sex my first time when i was three with my palm, lmao, no joke. umm i play guitar and i was in a few bands as the leand vocalist. I know this thread was more lead to the op but i felt i should put this in here since i never told anyone about me. dont ask for pics because i dont have anywhere to upload them from other then my computer lol. alot of people know my car. look up badbaltguy, i own his old car. im still fixing all the issues with this car lol..... one tranny, two clutches, one direct injection pump, some vacuum line lol, tune, spark plugs, and of course the damn wiring. sorry to thread jack.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

lmao ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
you are so wrong stock is 2.5 op go 3in build for the future and only spend it once
Well thanks dick. If you would have read his original Post then you would have seen that he only wants either ottp stage 2 or zzp stage 3.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:27 PM

I'd personally recommend the 80# if you go to Fuel Air Spark (.com) they have a mathematical equation to get the power numbers for what size injectors you need, and the Balt goes thru pounds of injectors pretty fast. 3 inch like ZZP is one of the best, I found the Magnaflow's I've seen and heard unsatisfyingly lulled and depressing in tone. You can get some decent Corsa notes, but again I would do a custom weld on of your choice with ZZP's system, the best in my opinion.

And I got ya beat... Plasma Blue ZX-10R, lol just teasing, it has no chain thanks to rust (Evil winter!)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Well thanks dick. If you would have read his original Post then you would have seen that he only wants either ottp stage 2 or zzp stage 3.
your welcome girlyman still a 3in would be better for that setup

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 12-18-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

Damnit people I say if u can stick ure peter it it its to big. And by god i still can't fit Into a 1/4 Inch pipe.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome!

Side note: 2.5" is plenty.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Welcome!

Side note: 2.5" is plenty.
For those willing to be passed by Diesels and Civic/ Accords keep your 2.5in peace pipes. KR's, MPG's, and HP/TQ's all suffer at some point here, 10hp/10tq is not enough for me.

Those wanting to attack the Evo/Supra/Skyline/RX-7(8)'s join me in the pursuit of 3in war n'glory pipes. There is no loss in a 3in system anywhere, except $$$.

All I can say is I enjoy Crushing Evo's all day on the track nearly stock, and there is all so much more could do with few touch upgrades. 3in = Freedom to do lot's more elsewhere.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Lol once again you guys are all very entertaining. Keep it up.
And girlyman. At least I am a man.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Lol once again you guys are all very entertaining. Keep it up.
And girlyman. At least I am a man.
thats right we are but we are right about 3in ex so since you say your a man step up and get a man ex
Old 12-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lol.. Here comes the "bigger is better" bandwagon. Please do some research, not even on this forum, but on exhaust size in relation to power output. You're making a fool of yourself to be quite honest.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
G11

i would say go zzp longtube and zzp 3" in my opinion....but that is just my opinion that is what i upgraded to and the quality is so amazing!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Lol.. Here comes the "bigger is better" bandwagon. Please do some research, not even on this forum, but on exhaust size in relation to power output. You're making a fool of yourself to be quite honest.
i have and 3in is better

Quick Reply: No introduce yourself thread, so thought i'd do it here... New guy with ?'s