2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Oil accumulator - where to tie in

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil accumulator - where to tie in

I'm looking to put an oil accumulator on for high g turns, can someone point me to where the oil pressure access is? I'm having difficulty finding where the pressure circuit external tie-in is.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 PM

My turbo oil line comes of the right most one of these

Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 PM

Cool, Thanks.

Now is it some weird metric fitting?

edit - looks like M12 x 1.75 is a bastard fitting to adapt to anything but 1/8" NPT..

Last edited by Dennisscars; 08-23-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Adding to this thread for future knowledge since I just went through all the research trying to find adapters for my accumulator. the Ecotec has 6 ports into the oil galley and each have a 12MMx1.75 thread pitch opening.

Dont bother shopping locally at Napa, or autozone or even a hydraulics fitting store. No one caries the very unusual 12mmx1.75 metric fitting adapter. thanks GM!

Here are the 4 options for adapters

Autometer adapter 12mmx1.75 to 1/8th NPT part number 2278 ~$10
http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=62

Hahn adapter normally used for the turbo oil feel. 12mm x 1.75 to -6AN Part number H TZ-8086 ~$10
http://www.turbosystem.com/Hahn%20Ra...0pricelist.htm

ZZP 12mmx1.75 to -4AN fitting ~$17
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=997&catid=150

Vulcan turbo adapter. 12mm1.75 to 1/8th NPT. ~$16
http://www.vulcanturbo.com/Turboothers.html

I looked at 2 accumulators. I decided on the masterlube accumulator over the Canton racing accusump for primarily cost reasons.

Canton recommends a -10AN oil line to the block and thought the 12mm x1.75 port would be too small. that would mean making an oil line T into 2 ports on the block

Masterlube uses a -6AN line and is the accumulator that was sold with the Ariel Atom so they have had success using their accumulator with the ecotec using this fitting.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to ARE dry sump this accusump stuff is a band aid....just sayin'
Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 PM

Yes, a dry sump would be better, but it will run about $2000 from ARE for the pan and pump and lines. Since I have an Ariel Atom and a component of the frame is right where the AC compressor would be, I have to have someone make me a custom setup to attach the pump as well as custom lines. So another ~$1-2000

One of the Ariel's that had the ARE system added had the belt rip(since it is about 2 inches from the ground) on a rock, stop the oil pump and seize the engine. That is why Brammo stopped offering it on the Ariel's when they made them.

So in my case $400 accumulator for masterlube is a better choice for me
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bolus
Yes, a dry sump would be better, but it will run about $2000 from ARE for the pan and pump and lines. Since I have an Ariel Atom and a component of the frame is right where the AC compressor would be, I have to have someone make me a custom setup to attach the pump as well as custom lines. So another ~$1-2000

One of the Ariel's that had the ARE system added had the belt rip(since it is about 2 inches from the ground) on a rock, stop the oil pump and seize the engine. That is why Brammo stopped offering it on the Ariel's when they made them.

So in my case $400 accumulator for masterlube is a better choice for me
thats weird! To have a failure like that. We used the ARE system with scavenge only for the pump using the internal oil pump for pressure, that way you can drive until the tank runs out of oil. Gotta be full of novacaine to ignore that....but ya sounds like a plan but I hate the accumulators. BTW an LE5 oil pan has way better slosh control for road racing than an LSJ pan, we proved that on the bench in testing and on the track as well, holds a little less oil ....1 litre...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Thanks bolus, good to see you around again.

I'd given up on that project because I could not find a place to mount it.

But coincidentally I'm now needing the 1/8" fitting as I'm going to put in a sending unit to send to a signal to my Traqmate to log oil pressure vs g's vs were on track. So I'll be able to, at least log under what condition(s) what is happening where, when and why.

qwikredline- Does the LE5 pan have (basically) the same exterior dimensions/outline. We've got some real close quarter to frame issues.

Curious about the less capacity, found out that hardly anything above 6.5 qts will find it's way into the catch can.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
le5 pan is a direct bolt on. it seems that you would run out of power steering motor, before you hit the limit of the lsj pan in your average horsepower lsj
Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dennisscars
Thanks bolus, good to see you around again.

I'd given up on that project because I could not find a place to mount it.

Im around, just not the atomclub. Here is my mounting location. I got the accumulator tonight and I need to remake the mounting bracket because it needs a few millimeters of shift laterally. But it will fit here. I also need to mount the gauge somewhere else but that's why I ordered the remote gauge mount

le5 pan is a direct bolt on. it seems that you would run out of power steering motor, before you hit the limit of the lsj pan in your average horsepower lsj
It depends more on the outside shape of the pan since at one point it is 3mm away from the frame.

So I have a Hahn super20G kit with a built engine and its in a 1400 lbs car. I added strengthened uprights for big slicks so it will be taking turns >2 g's Hence the concern about starving the oil pump. (plus no power steering )
Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
i forgot i was dealing with the atom cars, not a delta chassis.

doh!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 AM

sounds like a fun ride
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 AM

Scratching head... at last event at Infineon max left/right loading was 2.3xg, max braking was 1.38g. Do I not need to worry about high g loading, especially in RH turns?

No PS pump so no worries there..

edit.. too slow with keys..

Looks like a good place.. careful with clamps as not to distort can..

Area - it's amazing what big timing did to wake this motor up..

Are you mounting hose on opposite end ie away from pump? You should have pretty clear access to the far left rear plug.

Last edited by Dennisscars; 10-20-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Are you mounting hose on opposite end ie away from pump? You should have pretty clear access to the far left rear plug.
There are 6 ports to the oil galley. 3 on the back and 3 on the front. I havent decided on which one I might use. With the intake and exhaust manifolds I have all of them are easy to get to. The turbo oil feed is on the rear right most one now.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Area47
correct the LE5 pan holds less oil coz the LSJ had to hold more to satisfy EU extended oil life requirements that the USA do not need.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM

bolus - as I understand it you'll want to put the reserve oil discharge as far away from the pump as possible as that will be the first place to die (farthest from pump.) Turbo far forward (closest to the pump) is a good thing.

qwik - so same but deeper? or is that why it works better? We have external clearance/fitment issues. But that'd be something to try as a possible upgrade next time engine comes out for off season renew. Will know more when I log g vs oil pressure data at various tracks. Have you found a magic RH threshold?

Fortunately Laguna Seca, Infineon and Cal Speedway are predominately LH sustained turns. Buttonwillow CW and Spring Mt are high RH g turns.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM

bolus - as I understand it you'll want to put the reserve oil discharge as far away from the pump as possible as that will be the first place to die (farthest from pump.) Turbo far forward (closest to the pump) is a good thing.

qwik - so same but deeper? or is that why it works better? We have external clearance/fitment issues. But that'd be something to try as a possible upgrade next time engine comes out for off season renew. Will know more when I log g vs oil pressure data at various tracks. Have you found a magic RH threshold?

Fortunately Laguna Seca, Infineon and Cal Speedway are predominately LH sustained turns. Buttonwillow CW and Spring Mt are high RH g turns.
we logged oil pressure. and over whoop di doos (sears eg) worse. LE5 pan was done by clever GM engineer the internal shape is different. email me i can say do more
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM

That makes sense and Tom did hook up my turbo feed closest to the pump. But since oil isn't that compressible wouldn't the pressure drop instantly throughout the engine rather than progressively if the pump sees air?

Originally Posted by qwikredline
correct the LE5 pan holds less oil coz the LSJ had to hold more to satisfy EU extended oil life requirements that the USA do not need.
So it is a different pan or just the baffle? Because the baffle is only $8
part number 12578196

(37)

Last edited by bolus; 10-21-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Interesting, here is the Hahn block adapter on the left and the autometer on the right. Looks like I'll be using the autometer since it has a much wider opening.

The accumulator fits there but the way.

By the way, I'm having Tom make me a remote oil cooler / filter kit. Here is the adapter for the filter.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM

the hahn has a built in restricter so you do not over flood the turbo with oil...

you may want to think about using it.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ShortStack
the hahn has a built in restricter so you do not over flood the turbo with oil...

you may want to think about using it.

This is for the accumulator though. I want oil to dump into the engine as fast as possible if there is loss of oil pressure

(my turbo oil feed is using his part though)
Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 PM

Bolus thats a nicely fabbed remote filter adaptor

That makes sense and Tom did hook up my turbo feed closest to the pump. But since oil isn't that compressible wouldn't the pressure drop instantly throughout the engine rather than progressively if the pump sees air?

part number 12578196

(37)
different pan shape internally but subtle. Not the baffle. but its different too....The LE5 pan I sent Dennis is new and 100% complete. Bolt on. shave alternator boss maybe for atom

Last edited by qwikredline; 10-23-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Looks cool.

I'd have roll bar attachment interference issues, so that'd be a no-go for me. Banking on the pan to eliminate the need.

I gave up on Hahn they don't answer the phone..
Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Looks cool.

I'd have roll bar attachment interference issues, so that'd be a no-go for me. Banking on the pan to eliminate the need.

I gave up on Hahn they don't answer the phone..
what g for how long do you sustain, email response ifyou want....thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 PM

part number 12578196

(37)
Bolus, after looking at the new pan, looks like the "baffle" is just a cover over the oil pickup tube and thingus, both of which come with pan. So it doesn't look like or I would expect it to act as a windage tray as it's low in the pan.

Internal design is different. Will know more after replacement and test data collected.

May be forced to run Laguna Seca so I'll have data before and after.. the humanity..

Quick Reply: Oil accumulator - where to tie in