2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

performance/warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance/warranty

I was wondering, what mods will void your warranty? Someone said earlier that GM might be selling smaller pulleys and if they install them it won't void your warranty.

will a CAI, catback (w/e that is anyone want to explain it?), and exhaust system void your warranty?

I plan on getting an ss/sc but probably won't be racing it. I don't know if these upgrades would be worth it for me if they void my warranty. I'd probably just leave it as is and not risk having a problem without a warranty.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by nocaryet
I was wondering, what mods will void your warranty? Someone said earlier that GM might be selling smaller pulleys and if they install them it won't void your warranty.

will a CAI, catback (w/e that is anyone want to explain it?), and exhaust system void your warranty?

I plan on getting an ss/sc but probably won't be racing it. I don't know if these upgrades would be worth it for me if they void my warranty. I'd probably just leave it as is and not risk having a problem without a warranty.

I dont think a catback exhaust will void the warranty, my brother has a 2004 GMC Sanoma ZR2 and he put a catback and still has a full warranty. Under hood stuff is where the warranty is voided if they dont install it.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by HotSauce
I dont think a catback exhaust will void the warranty, my brother has a 2004 GMC Sanoma ZR2 and he put a catback and still has a full warranty. Under hood stuff is where the warranty is voided if they dont install it.
Thats how I understand the warranty also.

I put on an exhaust on my Saturn that I had before my Grand Am and it didnt void the warranty.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:11 PM

It's really up to the dealer on this one. If you have a cool dealer who is mod friendly you can get away with some stuff like a smaller pully but you should def. read up on the Magnuson/Moss Act. It explains all the legalities of warranty issues with dealers and owners mods.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:18 PM

technically nothing can void the warranty, the dealer has to prove what u installed is what caused the problem... if u install a smaller SC pulley, and the power windows stop working, they can't say that ur pulley voided the window warranty... but if u blow the engine or trans, they can say the extra boost caused the problem and not warranty the engine/trans... same with lowering springs, if u blow a wheel bearing, they can say the changed suspension caused it, but they can't void the warranty on the whole car... altho some dealers r better than others in this respect... best bet is to become a good customer at ur service dept... ask them about what will void what...
oh yeah, a "catback" is an aftermarket exhaust the fits from the "cat(alytic converter) back"
Old 02-28-2005, 08:25 PM

A "Cat-back" is a replacement exhaust from the Catalytic converter to the the muffler; hence the name "cat-back".

The magnus Moss warrenty act is good to be informed, but dealers will still give you problems on what they call consequential problems. So if you instal a cat-back, they will likely not make a fuss if your head gaskets blow because the thing you modded is downstream from the problem. If you have increased the boost, added a turbo etc then good luck getting them to fix a head gasket etc. If you **** around with nitrous, expect them to fight you on everything powertrain related.

In other word if you don't want to fight them, don't modify your car.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:27 AM

things that wont or arent supposed to void warranty are anything that is 50 state carb legal. and installed by a dealer or professional. but you got to be carefull dealers are tricky and they like to blame things on aftermarket parts. just remember they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem if anything were to happen. and the aftermarket part is not covered underwarranty, so if that part fails, ie aem intake, then aem takes care of the intake not gm.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:32 AM

thanks for all the quick responses. This sounds good considering my dad is friends with greg wentworth the owner of Wentworth chevy. Any oregon people probably know about them. I'll probably be able to mod almost anything i guess. But no, i'd never mess with nos. This will still be my only car I'll need it and probably won't be racing anyways.

Does AEM or any professionals that would install parts like this offer warranties. Probably not, but I thought i'd ask.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:39 PM

any mod that has an effect on part of the car can void the warrenty.. but putting on a cat back wont void anything..

if you put a smaller pulley on and blew the engine, they wont fix it.. but lets say you put a smaller pulley on and the battery blew up then yes they would fix the battery..

cuzz the pulley has nothing to do with the battery.. I know a pulley wouldnt make a battery blow up, but I could think of anything else..