2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Picking the right mount.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking the right mount.

So track season is starting again and I am replacing my clutch here in the next few weeks, while I do that I figured it would be time install one of OTTP rotated mounts.

Stuff you need to know:
-Running a 2.8 (well under 300hp) this may change over time though
-Not a fan of large vibrations
-Want to eliminate wheel hop when at the track.

Will the stage 1 mounts do this for me or should I go to the stage 2?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM

stage 1 perfect
Old 03-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stage 1 is good for you
Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 PM

I agree. Thats what I run...
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Awesome, So the stage 1 mounts get rid of the wheel hop?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:49 PM

yup.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM

I got stage two, I love them, but if you planning on staying under 300 wheel stage one will be fine, plus you can always upgrade later.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Frew
I got stage two, I love them, but if you planning on staying under 300 wheel stage one will be fine, plus you can always upgrade later.
How bad are the vibrations with stage 2?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
not bad at all
idky but i still have hop
Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by advise
not bad at all
idky but i still have hop
With street tires? Are you stage 1 or 2?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
stage 2
ya on street tires dont know y, got them used with like 30k and the bushing are still solid
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM

What do you think the stage 1s would be like if you had poly inserts in the stock rear mount? Im thinking its like in between 1 and 2...
Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM

vibe city. try the LNF rear mount that is way more interesting.( I have a few LNF inserts cheap to good home, if you want to experiment replacing your rear insert and use it with a stage 1 OTTP mount) Poly just shakes the crap outta ur car...
Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 PM

vibes arent bad at all compared to poly
Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
vibe city. try the LNF rear mount that is way more interesting.( I have a few LNF inserts cheap to good home, if you want to experiment replacing your rear insert and use it with a stage 1 OTTP mount) Poly just shakes the crap outta ur car...
Funny that you mention this, I came back into the thread to ask if these work well on our car. It appears that the combination of the two are what the ottp stage 2 mounts due, just maybe a little better.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P2480C392.aspx
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P2479C392.aspx

Will these fit on our cars? and if so, has anyone tried them and what are the outcomes.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Bump, does anyone know if the TC mounts work on the SS/SC and if they work are they worth getting?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM

they fit, are a marginally stiffer duromoter with a roughly honeycomb voided alloy center. Are not rotated. Gain =zero for hop
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, the GM mounts do not rotate the motor, just use LNF mounts. The stage 1 does the rotation, stage 2 makes it stiffer. Stage 1 + LNF might be somewhere in between.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM

was thinking about trying the stg1 with the tc rear, y not for the price
Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
No, the GM mounts do not rotate the motor, just use LNF mounts. The stage 1 does the rotation, stage 2 makes it stiffer. Stage 1 + LNF might be somewhere in between.
This is a route I was considering. Another symptom I am trying to get rid of is that "clunking" feel/noise when shifting hard between gears, mainly between 1st-2nd or when down shifting to 2nd. Which mount will help eliminate this?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 PM

I use a stage 1 OTTP mount set with an LNF rear mount. Works fine. You will still get pretty hard engagement 1-2 thats what happens when you reduce the amount of flexibility provided by the OEM mounts. You will get more harshness in this engagement than you will by retaining the softer LSJ rear mount.

It is not possible within the space available at the front, to use a rotated mount with an oem insert without cutting and welding on the front cradle location. That would however provide the best solution overall for NVH and axle alignment.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM

I use a stage 1 OTTP mount set with an LNF rear mount. Works fine. You will still get pretty hard engagement 1-2 thats what happens when you reduce the amount of flexibility provided by the OEM mounts. You will get more harshness in this engagement than you will by retaining the softer LSJ rear mount.

It is not possible within the space available at the front, to use a rotated mount with an oem insert without cutting and welding on the front cradle location. That would however provide the best solution overall for NVH and axle alignment.
How do you like the setup you have? Did you have just OTTP stage 1 mount prior to getting the rear LNF mount? If so, was there a noticeable difference?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Another mount to consider is the ttr stop mount. I will be trying them this track season and will let you know my thoughts. For the price if they work well, that would be my vote.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Unforgiv3n
How do you like the setup you have? Did you have just OTTP stage 1 mount prior to getting the rear LNF mount? If so, was there a noticeable difference?
Yes. Background:
I have run them all including the GM racing style, I developed them for racing under contract to GM to build race Cobalts FYI.
The race ones have stupid vibes. After two iterations, we went with Billet Stage 1 and 2 at the request of Josh at OTTP who had accepted my offer to sell them in the USA (after a similar offer was turned down by Aaron at TTR, who later copied the orientation, using Poly.
Thats background and history. Lets move on.

This is what I found about materials:
Poly has a lot of vibes. I didnt like that. Poly also degrades, and we could not use that material in the race cars, instead we used UHMW. Vibes are awful.

To take care of both positioning the motor effectively and isolated vibration, you have to find a good insert.

GM has experimented with many different shapes and duromoters (hardness) of mount insert. It was not economically feasible for GM to do the rotation, we did talk about it, for the LNF. Torque management is programming and easy, and #1 it costs too much to change the mounts and #2 the car would have to be crash tested again - very expensive.

FYI, all motor mounts are specifically designed with load path engineering parameters so that in a full frontal collision the mass of the engine transaxle travels down and underneath the car .

Back in the day if you crashed, the motor/trans ended up straight back roughly in your crotch.

To specifically answer your question: OTTP Stage 1 with LSJ mounts is relatively inexpensive, conquers day to day wheel hop, and has little to no vibes noticeable. At idle the interior DB on my car are less than 64 dbA, and talking to a passenger with the key off is 62 dbA. I have a 3 inch full CTI exhaust system.

The OTTP stage 1 with the LNF mount has the same little or no vibes, but when releasing the clutch from time to time you will get an agressive engagement thump, as there is not as much resilience in the LNF rear mount compared to the LSJ. If you decide to buy Stage 1 from OTTP and want an LNF mount I will donate free an LNF insert to help your cause. + shipping
I street dd in the summer and weekends (heck this week I was on the track) road race my RL, run on slick Hoosier R100's have over 300 whp, and use stage 1. Works for me.

But not at the drag strip. Hope this answers your question.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Yes. Background:
I have run them all including the GM racing style, I developed them for racing under contract to GM to build race Cobalts FYI.
The race ones have stupid vibes. After two iterations, we went with Billet Stage 1 and 2 at the request of Josh at OTTP who had accepted my offer to sell them in the USA (after a similar offer was turned down by Aaron at TTR, who later copied the orientation, using Poly.
Thats background and history. Lets move on.

This is what I found about materials:
Poly has a lot of vibes. I didnt like that. Poly also degrades, and we could not use that material in the race cars, instead we used UHMW. Vibes are awful.

To take care of both positioning the motor effectively and isolated vibration, you have to find a good insert.

GM has experimented with many different shapes and duromoters (hardness) of mount insert. It was not economically feasible for GM to do the rotation, we did talk about it, for the LNF. Torque management is programming and easy, and #1 it costs too much to change the mounts and #2 the car would have to be crash tested again - very expensive.

FYI, all motor mounts are specifically designed with load path engineering parameters so that in a full frontal collision the mass of the engine transaxle travels down and underneath the car .

Back in the day if you crashed, the motor/trans ended up straight back roughly in your crotch.

To specifically answer your question: OTTP Stage 1 with LSJ mounts is relatively inexpensive, conquers day to day wheel hop, and has little to no vibes noticeable. At idle the interior DB on my car are less than 64 dbA, and talking to a passenger with the key off is 62 dbA. I have a 3 inch full CTI exhaust system.

The OTTP stage 1 with the LNF mount has the same little or no vibes, but when releasing the clutch from time to time you will get an agressive engagement thump, as there is not as much resilience in the LNF rear mount compared to the LSJ. If you decide to buy Stage 1 from OTTP and want an LNF mount I will donate free an LNF insert to help your cause. + shipping
I street dd in the summer and weekends (heck this week I was on the track) road race my RL, run on slick Hoosier R100's have over 300 whp, and use stage 1. Works for me.

But not at the drag strip. Hope this answers your question.
outstanding info. Thank you for taking the time to write that. I'll be sending you a pm.

Quick Reply: Picking the right mount.