2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Porting lower intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porting lower intake manifold

Its been a long time since looking around but, does anyone still do this or did anyone show efficiency / power gains with an m62 or tvs?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
Its been a long time since looking around but, does anyone still do this or did anyone show efficiency / power gains with an m62 or tvs?
Iirc there aren't much gains to be had on the intake side but you could make a difference with the exhaust. I think people have seen gains with a properly ported M62 but I don't remember if that was just with the LS4 TB or also with the LSJ TB.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM

Man I'd say if your going to port do the heads as well with port and polish with a 3 angle valve job. He's dead on for the manifold but between the 2 you can easily see some gains and better flow especially depending on what you habe done ir are planning to do. I'm sure someone has the charts or has dyno after these type mods. I've done them on several other cars but not the cobalt yet. It's in my near future though once I finish the stage 2 kit from zzp. Eventually I'll get to the cam,head and valves.

My goal is to be at around 300rwp by Christmas if I can get there with the funds I'm working with .
Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbishop0352
Man I'd say if your going to port do the heads as well with port and polish with a 3 angle valve job. He's dead on for the manifold but between the 2 you can easily see some gains and better flow especially depending on what you habe done ir are planning to do. I'm sure someone has the charts or has dyno after these type mods. I've done them on several other cars but not the cobalt yet. It's in my near future though once I finish the stage 2 kit from zzp. Eventually I'll get to the cam,head and valves.

My goal is to be at around 300rwp by Christmas if I can get there with the funds I'm working with .
Post some pics if the money fairy comes your way and you get to it. Gotta see how its done! :
Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 AM

I'm working on it now, got a bunch of suspension stuff coming from zzp. This car needs a total overhaul but was a good deal. Once I get this issue I have now straight I'll get to making it hold the ground better. I'm hoping I can get the turbo swap done by or before this time next year.

I gotta say zzp staff are good people and been helping me with orders ans what's what.it's amazing how much easier pure motor is instead of these computers lol. I. In a whole new learning bracket and this is probably a 2-3 year project. You know how it goes with adding things which breaks things then you fix and add more and so on ... repeat, add fix repeat again.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 PM

I'm working on it now, got a bunch of suspension stuff coming from zzp. This car needs a total overhaul but was a good deal. Once I get this issue I have now straight I'll get to making it hold the ground better. I'm hoping I can get the turbo swap done by or before this time next year.

I gotta say zzp staff are good people and been helping me with orders ans what's what.it's amazing how much easier pure motor is instead of these computers lol. I. In a whole new learning bracket and this is probably a 2-3 year project. You know how it goes with adding things which breaks things then you fix and add more and so on ... repeat, add fix repeat again.
Oh for sure man, ZZP are great folks! I have had to call them before about an electrical issue I was having. I left a message and they returned my call and helped the best they could. Great folks man, cant say it enough!

Just want to throw in there that Aaron at TTR (Turbo Tech Racing), great guy man! Although I'm not sure if its just him running the business alone or what, but you can ask him anything too! He gives good unbiased opinions.

As far as suspension, are you getting coil overs? I got some KSport pros but I wish I would've done a bit more research as I hear a lot of good bout the BC coilovers. Either way I'm happy but I will say that my fronts are perma-stuck at the ride height theyre at.

Post stuff as it comes man, wanna see how it turns out. If that's the car in your sig that is sick!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Whp*
Old 04-23-2017, 03:01 PM

Sorry for the delay was finishing the issue I had with the tps code. I got their 1in lowering set up which should be right on wit the way it sits now. Still ordering everything bit should be able to handle the power I have by the end of summer. Hopefully I can do good enough at work that the commission is enough to get it all done. Way my luck is everything will break first lol.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 AM

I remember Euthanasia used to port intake manifolds. I dont remeber any dynos or reported psi drops / IAT results though as it was a few years ago.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
port the core opening to big and loose cooling efficiency
Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
I run a ported manifold, but don't have any before or after results. Went straight onto an l61, so I don't have any comparison
Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I usually port the outlets, as they are way smaller than the LSJ cyl head ports or gasket even. On my car, with no other changes, I saw boost drop, but never dyno'd.

The cores, as Mr. B said, there's a risk if you open them up more than you should. You want air to spend time in the laminova cores to cool. You can even them out and remove casting flash, but that's not gonna help much.

FWIW I do it on all the cars I do a dual-pass on, and my cars run harder than most. It's little things like this that make the difference. My stock-ish LSJ with ported TB, intake mani, and exhaust manifold was significantly stronger than other cars that were running same size pulleys and stuff.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ported my m62 with my ls4 throttle body and I saw a pretty good gain in power, it is definitely more touchy to drive
Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 07cobaltsssce85
I ported my m62 with my ls4 throttle body and I saw a pretty good gain in power, it is definitely more touchy to drive
Is it actually more powerful? Or does give the impression of power because of the increased response/ sensitivity.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
Is it actually more powerful? Or does give the impression of power because of the increased response/ sensitivity.
I second this question!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was on the dyno my tuner guy said I had gained power and it's definitely more sensitive as well
Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Weird thing is you can do yours and a couple others do their and the power will be very different for all of us that port and polish. Its probably why some say yes and others are saying its a gain but better to do more with it. The whole it makes it cooler easier is part of that gain you said you experience. Most people forget the few rules to making a car faster like breathing better, lighter or lightening car weight and spark etc.... any change is a good change lol.. Ask most folks what headers really do and they will say adds torque but don't technically know why it add torque..