2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Which product for wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which product for wheel hop?

Well I know this has been asked before, but I've searched till my eyes hurt and I can't take it anymore as I still am unsure of which is best. I KNOW that just one thing alone isn't going to be the miracle fix or the cure of all cures, but which single piece offers the best reduction in wheel hop ALONE. I'm not sure between the ingalls or turbo tech mount, or if there is any other. I don't really like the design of the bwoody so I'm going to already count that one out (round bushing, weak looking design etc). Also on the ingals, does that ever wear out like a shock? If so can you just buy that piece instead of purchasing the whole thing again? BTW, the car is going to be just a stock car, just looking for a smoother launch and better life from the axles. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is what I'm looking for. TIA
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM
MaJ

I've seen many pictures of peoples engine mounts being ripped appart by miss use of the Ingalls TD. I would personally suggest the Turbo Tech mount, but it's hard to say because it's such a new product. The first big issues with the Ingalls didn't come out right away either.

Be warned though. Any product like this is not going to be a "good" fix for it. Sure, it might get rid of your wheel up, but all you are doing is putting all that extra torque into the body of the car, which can only take so much stress. This is why the Ingalls sometimes destroys engine mounts. I would assume since the quality of the TT mount seems to be quite high, you'd be more concerned with what you're bolting the mount to, then the mount itself....
Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 PM

Are the control arm bushings a big help. Everyone and there mothers brother seems to have a "stiffy" for the ease of installation i think. I very rearly see anyone with control arm bushings.
Not high jacking the thread but this could also be a helpful solution to your wheel hop. I have been contemplating getting just control arm bushings to see how well it works. That "stiffy" looks gay and cheap to me if it works or not i dont know.

Kyle
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 PM

turbo tech racing motor mount
Old 03-19-2007, 07:21 PM

the problem starts with our wheel hop is not contained to just the suspensions lateral and vertical movement but just as much the engines lateral and vertical movement. I.E. you can have no wheel hop as far as the tires leave nice thick patches with no gaps. yet still get so much engine movement that it feels like really bad wheel hop. so there really is no one miracle cure for it. now a combination of some sort of engine/trans mounts or dampner as well as traction bars and or lower control arm bushings will take care of it for the most part

by far the best route would be transmission mounts, control arm bushings and traction bars thats what i run and have no wheel hop at all. but bang for the buck trans mounts all the way. although they will produce some substantial vibrations but they do alot in combating it and they are inexpensive,

if you go to the drivetrain section there is a very good write up by badmunky i believe
Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one had the trans mounts. It did kill a damn good amount of wheel hop, but the vibrations are unbareable in a daily driver. I got sick of it and traded them. Next thing for me to try out are the Bwoody traction bars.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM

I have the ZZP Billet Motor Mount and Poly Trans Mount and that killed about 95% of wheel hop for me. But like stated above, the vibrations suck. They break in a little bit, but if your not willing to sacrifice a smoothe ride whatsoever, than do not get the mounts. Just my opinion and experiences with them. I've had mine for about 12,000 miles and am seriously thinking about getting rid of them as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned

get intense's suspension updrade kit man and your wheel hop will be eliminated!!! i have aton of mods including 2.6 pulley and 60#'s and everything else and had horrible wheel hop and i got the intense suspension kit and now its bye bye for wheel hop!!! its an awesome buy!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Whats in that kit?^^^
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Trans mounts and control arm bushings..I still wouldn't get that kit. Vibrations > me.

Is there much vibs. with the intense Kit?
Banned

cab's and transaxle mounts
Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Killa SS
Is there much vibs. with the intense Kit?
Hell yes!

Put it this way, I only had ONE trans mount installed, it killed my wheelhop, and it vibrated nearly every panel in my car loose and it sounded like ****.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

no there is not alot of vibes but of course there is gonna be some but its not much more vibe than stock!! i love it and its not too pricey
Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by damien
Hell yes!

Put it this way, I only had ONE trans mount installed, it killed my wheelhop, and it vibrated nearly every panel in my car loose and it sounded like ****.
Now Andy's panels fall apart hahahaha.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DTM2188
Now Andy's panels fall apart hahahaha.
Oh well. Im sure he doesn't mind, he did get them for free!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by damien
Hell yes!

lol thx. so how do i kill wheel hop without killin my car with Vibs. of death.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned

I'm not too sure. I'm looking into Bwoody Traction bars, they look promising.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

you could try and check out these at cobalt performance parts..i talked to the owner on aim and he said they are great and have no vibes??? so i dunno they are cheap too!!!

http://www.cobaltperformanceparts.co...roducts_id=316
Old 03-19-2007, 08:40 PM

I know that there isn't one thing to fix all the wheel hop. I just don't have a lot of $$ to throw around so I want to make whichever one I choose be the best one. I CAN upgrade other parts over time, just want to get something that will make a difference. I can stand some vibrations, but I don't want too harsh of a ride. Seems like tranny mounts are a big problem contributing to this. I've had poly mounts on other cars and it vibrated, but I could stand it. So, seems like the trans mounts before the turbo tech motor mount? And the stiffy should not even be considered?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 PM

those are just prothane's version of the intense poly trans mount inserts. they will vibe just about as much.

b woody traction bars work great until your stock mounts start to soften. then the hop begins again but not wheel hop. engine hop i guess you would call it. they keep the axle from moving lateraly which is what weakens and snaps axles. so traction bars alone will not stop engine hop if your lca bushings and or trans mounts are shot. but they will protect you axles to some extent.

and yes the intense trans mounts cause very heavy vibrations so i would have to say i would not get them unless you are prepared to give up some ride comfort to help elminate wheel hop. they really arent bad at idle or even driving around but acceleration off idle takes some getting used to and some higher revs to get through the worst vibration rpm's. and if you are in to low of rpm in any gear it will shake the hell out of the car. but the way they make the car feel during shifts and launches is a small price to pay if you plan on breaking 250hp. cause at some point some kind of trans/engine mounts become necessary.

i dont know as anyone has tried just lca bushings alone with no other mods so that might be a good starting point
Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blueta
I know that there isn't one thing to fix all the wheel hop. I just don't have a lot of $$ to throw around so I want to make whichever one I choose be the best one. I CAN upgrade other parts over time, just want to get something that will make a difference. I can stand some vibrations, but I don't want too harsh of a ride. Seems like tranny mounts are a big problem contributing to this. I've had poly mounts on other cars and it vibrated, but I could stand it. So, seems like the trans mounts before the turbo tech motor mount? And the stiffy should not even be considered?
definitly look at cobaltperformanceparts.com man they are a great deal!!! only 60 for both mounts dude you cant beat that and the owner told me that it stops about 75% of wheel hop so it is good, you will proly see some vibes tho but not too bad!!!! definitly reccomend these bro
Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 PM

I must be a rarity on the site, but i have absolutely NO wheel hop on stock settings with me Ingalls TD. My high elevation might be a huge factor in this though (as far as less power).

I have been looking into getting CABs and Trans mounts though as a preventative measure.... although I do have to say that the Ingalls is more than bearable and the vibes are at a minimum.

just my personal experience
Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by blueta
Nobody is recommending the cheapest route? If you plan to upgrade slowly and want to do something low cost now, just fill your mounts w/ polyurethane. I did this a while ago and have very minimal vibrations--only on startup that is noticeable--and eliminated wheel hop by at least 80%. Not bad for $3 and a few hours of your time. This all depends on how comfortable you are doing your own work I guess. If you're interested in this, search for a how to, there are a couple pretty decent ones.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 PM

I would def go with the Intense tran mounts. I put those in a few months back along with the GMPP sport exhaust and other than at startup, there are minimal vibes. I plan on doing the control arm bushings after i do a few mor mods but for the $100 it eliminated about 95% of my wheel hop.

Quick Reply: Which product for wheel hop?