General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Really surprised and I have searched and searched

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
Really surprised and I have searched and searched

For as long as the supercharged cobalt and Eaton M62 has been in production I could not find much on an end to end rebuild for that specific supercharger. I did mine and it does take some very specific tools. 12 ton press, bearing pullers, screw press etc. Pulling out and putting in the needle bearings is by far the most difficult but nearly every pressed in bearing that goes into an aluminum housing fully releases at 210-225 degrees F to where the bearings can be dropped in and pulled out easily.

I learned this many years ago rebuilding aluminum engine cases, differentials etc. Most of the above tools can be purchased at Harbor Freight but a Good Quality Blind Hole bearing puller is required where as a Harbor Freight unit will slip.

Some shops are making a killing on rebuilding these, touting that no one else is doing it, their the best, lada lada and it is not difficult. I did stare at the housing for quite a while thinking how I would get those @%&##! needle bearings back in and even thought there must be a jig that grabs the side lugs. Well, already having mine powder coated first as seals don't generally like 400F I finally screw pressed them in without putting a single tool on the fresh powder coat..

It may be a little late and I have everything in but not sealed together yet but I could list the items I used to do this.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
Guess not... Going back together for good then.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Ive rebuilt the snout before, not too hard. Mongorat427 on here rebuilds the rotor housings with new bearings and rotor coatings