Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Sick of crappy oil filers for your 2.0 Cobalt SS? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/sick-crappy-oil-filers-your-2-0-cobalt-ss-36484/)

JonyyB 10-25-2006 08:57 PM

Sick of crappy oil filers for your 2.0 Cobalt SS?

I’m sick of these funky oil filters sold at the parts stores for our 2.0L SS/SC
No one has an OEM filer for the 2.0 SS. Here is what is offered:

AutoZone:
Fram: $7.19
STP: $8.79

Advanced Auto Parts (Parts America):
Fram: $8.88
Pureleader: $8.68

Now some may not care, but the design of these filers are a bit different then OEM….and I want the OEM filer in my car! (made in Germany)

So I have spoke with Tom at Crate Engine Depot and he is looking to offer us the OEM filer at a special price.

Any interest? I know I want to pick a few up :D

Tom's UPDATE p4

Originally Posted by CrateEngineDepot (Post 641558)

M-Dub 10-25-2006 09:04 PM

I will def. pick up a couple also... I hate FRAM... although AC Delco is alright!

VictoryRed06 10-25-2006 09:04 PM

ya i noticed a slight diff with the fram oil filter from the oem one...does it make a huge diff at all performance wise?

JonyyB 10-25-2006 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by VictoryRed06
ya i noticed a slight diff with the fram oil filter from the oem one...does it make a huge diff at all performance wise?

Nope, probably does not make any performance difference at all. I just don’t like the other filers because they appear to be different and I want the OEM one.
Plus, it will cost us less if Tom gets this special going for us.

Imlikedrpepper 10-25-2006 09:09 PM

How much is it to get it from the dealer?

JonyyB 10-25-2006 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Imlikedrpepper
How much is it to get it from the dealer?

I’m sure they all charge a different price. I think it was around $7 at me dealer (only let them do it once).

SS33 10-25-2006 09:23 PM

I'd be interested too.

BTW, I highly recommend buying a replacement cap assy. Comes w/ the plastic cap, O-ring and Filter for ~14 thru the dealership. I have 2 ecotecs, so I like to always have at least one on hand. Any chance on them carrying those through crateengines?

Or maybe they already do?

Damn World Series rain delay = too many beers, lol

I'll stop typing now, lol

DWK5150 10-25-2006 09:25 PM

I get mine at employee price.

EricDFW 10-25-2006 10:09 PM

Does Mehle make them? I use them in my BMW's. Both of those have filters that drop into canister's like these cars do.

SS_SC_Cobalt 10-25-2006 10:14 PM

I use the purolator pure one filters...

Chevypowered 10-25-2006 10:18 PM

The OEM ones look much better designed thatn the fram one. I bought the Fram filter once and never got it again.

halfj99 10-25-2006 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SS33
I'd be interested too.

BTW, I highly recommend buying a replacement cap assy. Comes w/ the plastic cap, O-ring and Filter for ~14 thru the dealership. I have 2 ecotecs, so I like to always have at least one on hand. Any chance on them carrying those through crateengines?

Or maybe they already do?

Damn World Series rain delay = too many beers, lol

I'll stop typing now, lol

i wish somone would make us anodized aluminum ones

automobiliben 10-25-2006 10:21 PM

I would defintely be down for picking up about 5 filters!! I have a hard time believing that these Fram filters can put up with the 6k miles or so that I put on between oil changes. Having the OEM one in there would just be piece of mind.

automobiliben 10-25-2006 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99

Why? You can't even see it, but then again, I am always paranoid about cross threading mine....

Red07SSNA 10-25-2006 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by SS33
I'd be interested too.

If you have a new cap assy sitting around get the GM part number off the box and post it so we all know what part number to order -- Thanks

halfj99 10-25-2006 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by automobiliben
Why? You can't even see it, but then again, I am always paranoid about cross threading mine....

i can see mine...no supercharger in the way though

UltraCSS 10-25-2006 10:43 PM

I'd be interested also...I put a Wix in mine...When I had my modded 5.3 in my truck I only went OEM, Wix, or NAPA Gold and I got 220,000 out of it and It's still going w/ the guy I sold it to. By the way 96,000 of those miles were after mods, and the truck ran 13.5's before I sold it, some burnouts were bouncing off the 7000rpm rev limiter...But back on topic if the price is right I may pick up 5 or 10 of 'em...Zed

Boosted_SS 10-25-2006 10:59 PM

ok guys i have a connection at my local chevy dealership and i can normally get things at cost. i will find out what i can get them for and let you guys know and if anyone is interested i'll order them and we can go from there. (same guy that got my my stage 2 for 550 bucks)

max_boost 10-25-2006 11:03 PM

I'd like to get a good source for the OEM filter too. I hate using the Fram one.

Boosted_SS 10-25-2006 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by max_boost
I'd like to get a good source for the OEM filter too. I hate using the Fram one.

as i said i have a good source and if i can get them cheap enough it me be adventagous for me to buy them for you guys and ship them thru the mail since they are light and it would be inexpensive to ship them. i'll let you guys know tomorrow what the cost i can get them for is.

R&C_rallySS 10-25-2006 11:12 PM

I would be highly interested. Bought my first filter and oil for my first oil change today. I was not very happy with the fram. The oem seems a a hair differant. Keep us informed.

css9450 10-25-2006 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
I use the purolator pure one filters...

That's what I am using too. The Pure One is an excellent filter.

BTW The OEM filter that came in my car was made in USA, not Germany. It was made by Hengst.

SS33 10-26-2006 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by halfj99

+33,000,000

I have been wishing and hoping that somebody would release one since I bought my Cavy back in 03' I was gonna try to build one at work until I realized how the inside of the cap was made w/ that spring behind the guard. Still though if they can come up with an aftermarket cap for < $100 I'm all over it.

I've had 3 of them crack on my Cavy so far. The first because I didn't have the right tools. And one about every 5-6 oil changes after that. Never cross threaded one, but the last two have just had the flange pop off when I tried to re-install them. It's gonna happen, plastic gets a little brittle after so many heat cycles.

Originally Posted by Cobalter LS
If you have a new cap assy sitting around get the GM part number off the box and post it so we all know what part number to order -- Thanks

I suck, I used my last a week ago on my cavy and tossed the box. I might head to the dealership on lunch and grab a couple more, if not I'll see if I can find any receipts with the P/N on them

, I'll post the P/N as soon as I get it.

1gmfanatik 10-26-2006 06:49 AM

Are the OEM Filters that much better then the aftermarket ones??

Brian MP5T 10-26-2006 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by JonyyB
I’m sick of these funky oil filters sold at the parts stores for our 2.0L SS/SC
No one has an OEM filer for the 2.0 SS. Here is what is offered:

I get my Porsche filters on E-Bay much cheaper.

SAAB filters are probably there too..