Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Sick of crappy oil filers for your 2.0 Cobalt SS? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/sick-crappy-oil-filers-your-2-0-cobalt-ss-36484/)

css9450 10-26-2006 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SS33
I've had 3 of them crack on my Cavy so far. The first because I didn't have the right tools. And one about every 5-6 oil changes after that. Never cross threaded one, but the last two have just had the flange pop off when I tried to re-install them. It's gonna happen, plastic gets a little brittle after so many heat cycles.

I've seen a couple that look like someone either tried to remove it with vise-grips, or else tried to chew it off. I'm not sure which.

DWK5150 10-26-2006 08:03 AM

GM has a kit with the oil filter the cover and the o ring to go on it for those that have messed theres up. Someplace I have the part number I jsut need to find it.

RJSS 10-26-2006 08:13 AM

I don't know if this is helpful or not but I found that in the Detroit area here Murray's discount auto carries AC Delco (OEM) filters for LSJ. They also have the special socket tool for removing the cap. Actually, I'm not sure if this was a freak occurrance or what but the first time I went there and bought the filter for like $10 and was kind of pissed it was so much more expensive than what I am used to. Then when I got home to change the filter I opened up the box and in with the filter was a cap and o-ring. So now I have two in case the original one breaks.

DWK5150 10-26-2006 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by RJSS
I don't know if this is helpful or not but I found that in the Detroit area here Murray's discount auto carries AC Delco (OEM) filters for LSJ. They also have the special socket tool for removing the cap. Actually, I'm not sure if this was a freak occurrance or what but the first time I went there and bought the filter for like $10 and was kind of pissed it was so much more expensive than what I am used to. Then when I got home to change the filter I opened up the box and in with the filter was a cap and o-ring. So now I have two in case the original one breaks.

What was the part number for that??? I have it someplace but cant find it.

cmj917 10-26-2006 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by RJSS

Hey RJ, you need to pick up a couple of those, so next time I'm in town I can buy one off you ... having an extra cap sounds like a really good idea.

kenhebe 10-26-2006 08:26 AM

Your Oil Filter Has Virtually Nothing To Do With Your Car Performance Wise. You Will Not Gain Or Lose Any Power Or Torque No Matter What Brand Of Filter You Use. It Is Not Like An Air Filter Where Some Have Better Filtration And Allow More Air Into The Motor Creating More Power. An Oil Filter Does Not Create Or Allow More Oil To Flow Through The Motor. Until K&n Comes Out With An Oil Filter, Fram Is The Best One Out There. Don't Worry About The Fact That The Aftermarket Filters Look A Little Different. Most Of Them Are Better Filters Than Oem.

DWK5150 10-26-2006 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by kenhebe
Your Oil Filter Has Virtually Nothing To Do With Your Car Performance Wise. You Will Not Gain Or Lose Any Power Or Torque No Matter What Brand Of Filter You Use. It Is Not Like An Air Filter Where Some Have Better Filtration And Allow More Air Into The Motor Creating More Power. An Oil Filter Does Not Create Or Allow More Oil To Flow Through The Motor. Until K&n Comes Out With An Oil Filter, Fram Is The Best One Out There. Don't Worry About The Fact That The Aftermarket Filters Look A Little Different. Most Of Them Are Better Filters Than Oem.

I dont agree with that at all. I have seen aftermarket filters that are supposed to have and anti drain back valve on them and do not. That will do your motor abosultely no good at all.

BlwnGP 10-26-2006 08:44 AM

I have used Mobil 1 filters in my other car for years. Complements the Mobil 1 oil I use nicely. I would disagree about the AC Delco filters being inferior to aftermarket. The AC Delco filters are some of the highest quality filters out there. That is all I will use on my 2.4l until Mobil 1 makes one for our cars. The AC Delco filters are as advertised (when they say they have a certain feature such as a drain back valve, they do), they have to conform to OEM specifications. I believe that there is test results out there that show the AC Delco, Mobil 1, and Wix filters are the best you can get. Surprisingly, the K&N oil filter didn't test too high (still above average). I am to lazy to find the link right now. The Purealator was rated very low IIRC. The Napa Gold, I believe, is a rebadged AC Delco or made by them.

If I had my choice, I would use AC Delco or Mobil 1...you can't go wrong with those two!

Jackalope 10-26-2006 08:52 AM

You all do know that the dealer sells these for it looks like the same price as the aftermarket does, right?

In fact here at my dearlership we sell them for $6.25 ea.

IDK why anyone would bother with aftermarket ones when they can have the original for less. That makes no sence.

fljohnboy 10-26-2006 09:00 AM

I bought my filters from GMpartsdirect. They are 4.66 each I got 10 the last time. It came out to 5.68 with the shipping. Part number is 12579143.

DWK5150 10-26-2006 09:17 AM

Part number for the filter, cap and o-ring kit. #12580254

Thanks to Jackalope for it

NightriderCobaltSS 10-26-2006 09:41 AM

Figured i posts pics just to help out

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...l15436_sid.jpg

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...l15436_sid.jpg

automobiliben 10-26-2006 10:33 AM

Where the prices?? I think getting prices on just the filter and then the filter and cap assembly would be a good idea! :twothumbs

Jackalope 10-26-2006 10:39 AM

You got it!

Filter and cap assy part #12580254 cost $7.74 retail $14.32
Just the filter cartridge #12579143 cost $5.00 retail $9.40

NOTE:retail cost does not always reflect the actual cost you will pay. In this case from here just the cartridge would run you $6.25 even tho GM says it retails for $9.40.

97 Z Me Go 10-26-2006 10:51 AM

Just a FYI. My parts department carries 2 filters for the ecotec. One of them is a ac delco in a bag and the other one is a ac delco in the box. The one i the box is the one you want. If you take them both side by side the one in the bag from ac delco has a bigger hold inside. When it comes to filters of course you want to get the smaller so it can filter more. Ill see if i can get a shot of one up here of the 2 to show you the differnmce.

Kyle

DWK5150 10-26-2006 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
Just a FYI. My parts department carries 2 filters for the ecotec. One of them is a ac delco in a bag and the other one is a ac delco in the box. The one i the box is the one you want. If you take them both side by side the one in the bag from ac delco has a bigger hold inside. When it comes to filters of course you want to get the smaller so it can filter more. Ill see if i can get a shot of one up here of the 2 to show you the differnmce.

Kyle

I was at my dealer 2 days ago and it was the same thing there one in a box and the other in the bag and they are different i was like WTF is this.

CrateEngineDepot 10-26-2006 10:59 AM

Package deals

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...5566_small.jpg
2-Pack $10.50 Plus shipping Click here to order

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...6_6p_small.jpg
6-Pack $30.00 Plus shipping Click here to order

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor..._12p_small.jpg
12-Pack $57.00 Plus shipping Click here to order

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...0254_small.jpg
Filter W/cap and seal $ 8.90 Plus shipping Click here to order

You might see a better price, but check the total after shipping charges before you order from other vendors.:twothumbs

DWK5150 10-26-2006 11:01 AM

Nice work Tom I just might have to drive down and pick them up at that price. :twothumbs

LoozCannon 10-26-2006 11:04 AM

This is one of the very few good things about living in Germany and owning a cobalt! I can get filters on the economy out here (the filter itself is European design.. from Opel I believe) and they are abundant! Pretty cheap to! =P

Looz

M-Dub 10-26-2006 11:11 AM

Okay by the way ( haven't changed the oil myself in the 2.0) but I did on my 2.2 where is the oil filter in the S/C anyway! Is it in the same spot as the 2.2 which means under the F'in supercharger???

DWK5150 10-26-2006 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
Okay by the way ( haven't changed the oil myself in the 2.0) but I did on my 2.2 where is the oil filter in the S/C anyway! Is it in the same spot as the 2.2 which means under the F'in supercharger???

Yes it is under the s/c.

M-Dub 10-26-2006 11:19 AM

Okay then... that is what I thought... do you have to take the S/C out to do it... or can you get it out without removing it?

automobiliben 10-26-2006 11:43 AM

Tom, any prices on the filter and cap assembly?

DWK5150 10-26-2006 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
Okay then... that is what I thought... do you have to take the S/C out to do it... or can you get it out without removing it?

You can get it without removing it but it sucks to get your hand in there.

automobiliben 10-26-2006 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DWK5150
You can get it without removing it but it sucks to get your hand in there.

Yeah, changing the oil was one of the many things on this car that must have been an after thought to GM, goes right along with the trunk that has the smallest opening ever. :thumbsdow