2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

So my Spec 3+ is Toast.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So my Spec 3+ is Toast.....

Hey guys. I've gotten alot of questions about what times I run with my mods, and why I haven't put up a 12 second timeslip yet. The past 3 months, I've fought irritating clutch issues with this car. It seems like everytime I go to the track, I get about 1 or 2 actual full runs with minimal slip, and then every other run, and I can't even make a complete pass. I'm not sure if the true issue is in the slave cylinder, hydraulic lines, or if it was the clutch.
Anyway, I went to the track last night, and Rob was there tuning cars. I've learned over the past couple months that the car really needs a long cooldown for the clutch to grab it's best. Rob had tuned my car before going to the track, and let me tell you-this car easily has a 110+trap in it. I wouldn't put a 111-112mph trap out of the equation in the right conditions. When Rob got done tuning it, the car didn't even feel like the same car-it pulled harder than it ever has! So needless to say, I was excited to go to the track and see what it runs, now being dialed in. I only made one pass. I did a burnout, trying to keep it short so as not to heat the clutch up. I get to the line, rev to 3500rpms, launch on the 3rd yellow, and the slipped all the way through first, shift to 2cnd, it slipped all the way through 2cnd, shift to 3rd, slipped through third as well. The car literally felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I get my timeslip, and was shocked to see the car still went 107mph, considering it felt like it trapped about 60mph. Anyway, Rob asked me what happend, and I told him that I thought my clutch was gone. He drove my car around the parking lot, came back, and told me not to even waste my time running anymore-the clutch is gone. So, I'm going to try sending it to spec to see if they'll warranty it, and if not, I don't know who I'm going to go through. I'm hoping I can get it done before IDDVIII, in hopes of a 12 @110+mph, but it's not looking good. Just thought I'd let everyone know.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the update that sucks im gonna start my cobalt project soon ive just been SWAMPED with school let us know what clutch you pick up next or what spec does with you bc im gonna need a new clutch before im done
Old 10-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by SLOWBALT06
thanks for the update that sucks im gonna start my cobalt project soon ive just been SWAMPED with school let us know what clutch you pick up next or what spec does with you bc im gonna need a new clutch before im done

Will do. This will be a test of their customer service, that's for sure. I'm a little curious why a clutch that can support 500+ft lbs of torque went bad in only 6 months. I'll be sure to let everyone know what I find out.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:00 PM

Sorry to hear that, but ya, let us know for sure what decision is made on your clutch.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Dam dude, sorry to hear about it. Im sure you will pull through!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:13 PM

yea it would be nice to know y it sucks so soon

i was planning on getting this soon and if there customer service sucks then hell no

if the clutch that says 500+ torque and ur running about 300????? wtf

my project isnt going to be done until like 450 horse some odd torque and i need a clutch that will last the whole project
Old 10-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Banned

Dude I've had the 3+ on my car for almost 9,000 miles now. I've never had a problem with it and I frequently run a 75 shot of nitrous through it. VERY frequently. It just seems like it keeps getting stronger and stronger. I'd say it's the issue with the slave/lines. I got that one cleared up a while back too. Installation error? Did you give it a good 1,000 mile break-in? Maybe the flywheel friction surface blows. Maybe you have a small fluid leak?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:17 PM

Man , sorry to hear about the clutch issues . How long did u break it in intially back when u did it . I remember Daren saying awhile back his 3+ was slipping badly too and pretty much came to the determaination that the 3+ really should be broke in for a full 1000 miles . Even though spec states 500 .

After hearing Dan and Rob talk about our stock clutch hydralics with the heavier clutches , maybe that has something to do with it too . Weak is the word . I'm waiting for someone with the 3+ , FX400 ect ect to try adapting the C5 master cylinder . Apparantly it is a doable swap .

Wish I could be more of some help to ya . Im still learing though too , when it comes to making the entire clutch set up better . I will say , I hot lap the hell outa my car and my 2+ has never slipped . That 3+ "should" be laughing at what your throwing at it .

Good luck
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
Man , sorry to hear about the clutch issues . How long did u break it in intially back when u did it . I remember Daren saying awhile back his 3+ was slipping badly too and pretty much came to the determaination that the 3+ really should be broke in for a full 1000 miles . Even though spec states 500 .

After hearing Dan and Rob talk about our stock clutch hydralics with the heavier clutches , maybe that has something to do with it too . Weak is the word . I'm waiting for someone with the 3+ , FX400 ect ect to try adapting the C5 master cylinder . Apparantly it is a doable swap .

Wish I could be more of some help to ya . Im still learing though too , when it comes to making the entire clutch set up better . I will say , I hot lap the hell outa my car and my 2+ has never slipped . That 3+ "should" be laughing at what your throwing at it .

Good luck
I have to say, I have an FX 400 and the only problem I have is, well I don't really have one at this point. While I know I don't qualify with your FX400 and a C5 master cylinder swap, I think it's worth weighing in. I think it's hit or miss in these cars. Either GM did a good job that day or they didn't. It sux, but there's no getting around it.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by StreetDreamz
Dude I've had the 3+ on my car for almost 9,000 miles now. I've never had a problem with it and I frequently run a 75 shot of nitrous through it. VERY frequently. It just seems like it keeps getting stronger and stronger. I'd say it's the issue with the slave/lines. I got that one cleared up a while back too. Installation error? Did you give it a good 1,000 mile break-in? Maybe the flywheel friction surface blows. Maybe you have a small fluid leak?

Professional install, frequent vacuum bleeds. Are you using slicks?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 PM

Mine holds up fine, but I guess the true test is when I start using slicks.

Although 3K miles later, my 1-2 WOT shift is still grinding. Still waiting for that to go away.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 PM

bad06ss upgrade to the stage 4 a possibility ??
Old 10-11-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Serpico
bad06ss upgrade to the stage 4 a possibility ??

Possibly. I'm going to see if this one has any type of warranty with spec first, and if not, I dunno yet. I'm considering the Exedy Stage 3 setup.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Former Vendor

We've had excellent results with SRT-4's and Neons with Clutchmasters clutches, and we are stocking now the Clutchmasters clutches, stage 3-4.

We'll have information up shortly about the different stages and prices, but Id invite you to give Clutchmasters a shot. They have been making clutches that hold the power and abuse for some time now ,and they make AND service their clutches IN HOUSE.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Modernceo
We've had excellent results with SRT-4's and Neons with Clutchmasters clutches, and we are stocking now the Clutchmasters clutches, stage 3-4.

We'll have information up shortly about the different stages and prices, but Id invite you to give Clutchmasters a shot. They have been making clutches that hold the power and abuse for some time now ,and they make AND service their clutches IN HOUSE.
unfortunately cm really screwed the pooch with their cobalt clutches as a result i wouldnt touch one with a 10 ft pole
Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 PM

yea bad06 keep us posted. btw that t/a was proully shocked at that run anyways back on subject i still dont know about my clutch yet. it held fine the drive home no slipping
Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 PM

yo yo yo. i think this just proves that its not the actual clutch but the pressure plates that arent strong enough to transfer power from the flywheel to the clutch.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:51 PM

With the recent things I've seen with CM clutches, I'd say they are fine, it's the cars.

Our cars just do not like aftermarket clutches, my money is on that the Exedy kit has the same issues.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
With the recent things I've seen with CM clutches, I'd say they are fine, it's the cars.

Our cars just do not like aftermarket clutches, my money is on that the Exedy kit has the same issues.

Quite possibly. I read somewhere about somebody trying to do a LS1 Corvette Slave cylinder swap. I'm going to see what I can replace the stock slave cylinder, hydraulic lines, etc, with (somthing stronger).
Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
Quite possibly. I read somewhere about somebody trying to do a LS1 Corvette Slave cylinder swap. I'm going to see what I can replace the stock slave cylinder, hydraulic lines, etc, with (somthing stronger).
Isn't that what the Gran Am Cobalts use? The Grand-Am Cobalts that use the exact same clutch the Exedy is trying to sell us? I doubt it is going to work better than any of the others....
Old 10-12-2006, 01:34 AM

CM masters finally got it right with the redesigns and my trial and error testing! It was a big freaking headache for me, but it works great now.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
CM masters finally got it right with the redesigns and my trial and error testing! It was a big freaking headache for me, but it works great now.

How do you know when you order one if you're getting the re-design? What was their problem before?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 PM

The pressure plate was the issue. The first one rubbed the bellhousing, the second one had the wrong spring clamp iside it so it wouldn't disengage(LUK was stamped on it) not CM's fault but the manfacturer if the pressure plates fault, and the 3rd and final one worked great (CANADA stamped on it). If I was you, I would go with the Exedy clutch/flywheel combo. The Grand Am Cup Cobalts run them, and Exedy's name comes with a great reputation for superb products. I needed a clutch badly at the time since it was my daily driver, so CM it was. Lonnie at Clutchmasters rectified all my problems and took care of me very well, so I will say they have superb customer service and are willing to go the extra mile. I mean he redesigned the clutch over the weekend for me, and shipped it next day air both times! To add to that, they also paid for the old ones to be shipped back, and compensated me for the labor cost of the clutch job GM charged me for! I did the other two because GM's price was expensive and I did it in two hours less than they did with my friends help!

I have no gripes with my CM clutch, and it definately grabs like a **** and feels great. Pedal is a little stiffer, and the release point is pretty low off the floor. The girlfriend stalled it like 6-8 times while leaving the bar one night when I got drunk. I was pretty funny, but I had to have her park in the street and me pull it into the garage because of the incline and her rough clutchwork!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:12 PM

so what is the break in period for every one? 1000?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 PM

alright so now im iffy about the spec clutches....

if i decide not to go with a spec what cm clutch should i go with to withstand 400-450 horse easily???

and should i think about getting a new slave cylinder??? and if so where should i get one and what kind???

Quick Reply: So my Spec 3+ is Toast.....