2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Stage 2 and my clutch is slipping like a bat out of hell!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2 and my clutch is slipping like a bat out of hell!!!!!

Ok so today im racing my buddy basically same mods but were just ******* around you know....well it wasnt really a launch it was from a coast in 1st to 6800 rpm;s and 2nd well my damn clutch was slipping.... and its been doing this for a while but i never really paid attention to it i guess because i dont launch this car alot at all....

I baby this car, i race every now and then and if i do its from rolls.....not digs....Now, is there anyway that this clutch could be warrantied?? I mean my dealer is pretty cool about mods and everything else and i also bought my car from there so i mean they are pretty leanant....So if anyone could give me the jist of what i have to say and do to get it covered then let me know
Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 PM

They will not likely warranty it......they will call abuse if you are shifitng the car hard at all on the test drive. unless you have a good dealer
Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Most likely they won't cover it. It's considered a "wearable" item, like brakes.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 PM

ATTENTION READ THIS POST BEFORE GOING TO THE DEALERSHIP

You are experiencing a problem that tons of stage 2 cobalt owners experience. This clutch slipping is caused by what we call "glazing the clutch". This results from repeatedly engaging a performance clutch at lower rpms.

I had the exact same problem and heres how I (and many other stage 2 owners) fixed it.

From now on, NEVER shift your car before 3000 rpm. You won't save gas by shifting early than that, i promise. If you do this consistently in every gear from now on, i guarantee your clutch will work like a champ in about a week.

For some reason, these clutches hate being engaged at lower rpms and will get a glaze over them which in turn makes them less likely to grip, especially in first gear.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:02 PM

i do shift already at like 4thousand rpms every time so thats not the problem
Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How could you tell the clutch is slipping?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:16 PM

because you go from a good launch from 1st gear and then 2nd gear there is nothing there but when you press the throttle of increasing rpms but your not going newhere like your in gear, but all it does is act like your reving up your car.....Pisses me off...Its been doing this way before i had stage 2 on my car
Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 PM

Wow. Sounds like it's really screwed, not just a little glazed. I really don't think they'll do warranty on it, sorry. How many miles on your car?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 PM

13,000 miles
Old 04-19-2007, 11:29 PM

my clutch did the same thing. now i dont haved one. the dealer told me it's (wear and tear) just plan on getting a new one. go stage 2
Old 04-19-2007, 11:34 PM

mine does it too every once in a while. i kinda stopped doing it for a while and it seems better. i'd say take it easy on the quick shifts. if you actually wait like a quarter of a second longer you'll find it wont slip
Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastSS
because you go from a good launch from 1st gear and then 2nd gear there is nothing there but when you press the throttle of increasing rpms but your not going newhere like your in gear, but all it does is act like your reving up your car.....Pisses me off...Its been doing this way before i had stage 2 on my car
interesting this same exact thing happened to me on the ss/sc i drove before i got mine, didnt really mention it to the dealer or anything. but yep same thing. this was stock and no stage 2.

hasnt happened on mine yet but only about 2600 miles on my car.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 AM

I had it happen to me once; it's when you try to drive the car like a slip clutch. You just can't do it, you have to apply the clutch 100% (you can still do this smoothly) before or just as you go WOT not after. After it happened to me once it hasn't happened again. It is driver error if it happens.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Premium Member

I remember people having slave cylinder issues with our cars , id atleast have them check that before buying a clutch . Good luck
Old 04-20-2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by LandonElf

You are experiencing a problem that tons of stage 2 cobalt owners experience. This clutch slipping is caused by what we call "glazing the clutch". This results from repeatedly engaging a performance clutch at lower rpms.

I had the exact same problem and heres how I (and many other stage 2 owners) fixed it.

From now on, NEVER shift your car before 3000 rpm. You won't save gas by shifting early than that, i promise. If you do this consistently in every gear from now on, i guarantee your clutch will work like a champ in about a week.

For some reason, these clutches hate being engaged at lower rpms and will get a glaze over them which in turn makes them less likely to grip, especially in first gear.
oh snap bro, i shift around 2500 everytime, ill even use 2nd from rolling through stop signs and ****. thats exactly what i think though, im sasvingthe clutch and saving gas.. is it really better to shift past 3k? the owners maunal never said anything and shifting prm range, the evo tld me to shift at certian speeds to maximize fuel economy, whats good on the cobalt???
Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM

This is a common thing for our cars. It sattes in the build book when you put stage 2 on that because of the increase hp the clutch will need to be replaced.

Our clutches are the same one that they put into the regular cobalts that only have 150hp.So don't be suprised just save up and buy a updgraded Clutch and flywheel.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:30 AM

So you're saying that we should do that in every gear and we won't save gas? 60mph in 4th gear is going to be ~2900 rpm, and in 5th will be at ~2300, 45 in 4th is ~2100 and 3rd ~2780, sounds like saving gas to me. I can definitly see doing this in the lower gears while just picking up speed like 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, but I don't see it in while maintaining constant cruising speed. I also don't see the purpose of downshifting to 1st while going like 15mph. I would have to let out the clutch slowly or it'll feel like I'm slaming on the brakes. By letting out the clutch slowly doing that it's just slipping it and to me that's worse then being in 2nd (about 1400rpm) and picking up speed slowly till higher rpm. That's just my take on it. Whenever I go from a first to second I make sure I let the clutch out all the way and haven't had a problem yet. Maybe I will in the future and I'll eat my words then HTH
Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Routs
How could you tell the clutch is slipping?
when the car is in gear, and you push the gas padal.. if it dosen't go anywhere... your clutch is slipping
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 AM

^^^also the rpm's have to go up and the car not go anywhere.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:42 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
my clutch started slipping shortly after getting my stage 2 installed. my dealer called gm tech assist about it and we were told with stage 2 an upgraded clutch is recommended.

before anyone calls b.s. i was sitting right there listening to the call. I went and bought a spec stage 2+ clutch. i paid it for but the dealer was nice enough to install it for nothing. now its nothing but tiring burning and chirping when i grab gears. i also can shift at 2000rpm and not "glaze" the clutch.

just face it the stock clutch is junk. save yourself the trouble and aggravation and get a performance clutch. Then you can drive the car how it should be driven.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 PM

It's not about where you shift, it's how. The revs take a long time to drop in the car when you let off the gas, and in normal driving, you have to take your time shifting. Clutch in, shift, and wait for the rpm to be where it should be before you let go. When you do let go, do it quickly. Disengaging the clutch too soon or too slowly causes it to slip a little with every shift, even if you can't feel it, and that's what causes the glaze and premature wear.

It's easier to practice this when shifting over 3k, hence why it's recommended, but once you get the hang of it, you can shift where ever you want and it won't hurt a thing.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
It's not about where you shift, it's how. The revs take a long time to drop in the car when you let off the gas, and in normal driving, you have to take your time shifting. Clutch in, shift, and wait for the rpm to be where it should be before you let go. When you do let go, do it quickly. Disengaging the clutch too soon or too slowly causes it to slip a little with every shift, even if you can't feel it, and that's what causes the glaze and premature wear.

It's easier to practice this when shifting over 3k, hence why it's recommended, but once you get the hang of it, you can shift where ever you want and it won't hurt a thing.
This also works and well said. But for those of you who dont' want to have to analyze and perfect your daily shifting techniques and clutch engagments, just shift at 3K or later.

Also about the gas mileage at those rpms, its insignificant. With my mods in my sig and a heavy foot, i get 27.5-30 mpg.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:24 PM
syP

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw

QFT... worked for me.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Also about the gas mileage at those rpms, its insignificant. With my mods in my sig and a heavy foot, i get 27.5-30 mpg.
Your mods wouldn't hurt gas mileage. Well the stage 2 with the increased boost and a heavy foot would, but for regular driving it shouldn't. I actually got 1mpg better with my stage 2 then I was getting before and it's been a little more "spirited". Sure the difference between that 1-2 seconds from 2500rpm to 3000rpm before a shift isn't gonna make a difference, but if I'm cruising for 20 minutes at 60mph in 4th 2900rpm, you can damn well count on the gas mileage suffering if I didn't shift into 5th and dropping 600rpms.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:50 PM

Alot of people are thinking it. but no one wants to say it.

Its not the clutch.
there may be a few clutches out there that are sincerely faulty, and need to be replaced.
but the fact is...most of the "omg my clutch is slipping" cases. are caused by a driver who is either new to stick, or coming from stick cars that didnt have enough power to burn their clutch anyway.

Its a wear and tear item. Im not trying to be a dick.
but i ask you to answer this question.
Why is it the drivers with alot of stick experience. have no problems with their clutches?

My clutch has slipped once.
and it was 100% because of the way i moved my feet at the time.
I knew it....corrected it....and havent done it since.

Nor has my clutch slipped since.....

Sorry man. This probably sounds like me being a *****....but this is part of learning to drive. GM probably isnt gonna pay for it.

Quick Reply: Stage 2 and my clutch is slipping like a bat out of hell!!!!!