2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

stock rings on diamond pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock rings on diamond pistons?

has anyone gone with the diamond pistons and used the stock ring set? will it work? i know you can re-use em according to GM build book but i dont know with what pistons?

another question has anyone got or used diamonds and not bought either coating top or sides?

i dont see a mandatory absolute need for these... so why pay 225 more for these coatings?

i have built many sbc engines in the past using forged aluminum piston's but not till recently did i ever buy some with coatings and i only got side coatings on some speed pro pistons simply because they came with em and were affordable at the same time...

and were are guys buying from... intense or turbo tech racing?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 AM

subscribed
Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 AM

any advice for a cop, hold the spit

that was a j/k- im a DI at MCRD san diego- so dont find me and fine me.
As a former jet engine mech and tech, the coating they put on the aluminum will actually give you more operating hours on the metal. I know that on our treated and or coated metals they had different wear qualities due to the change in surface and heat soak. I would ask the manufacturer what the coating was and then research its qualities yourself
Old 09-01-2008, 01:11 AM

im more wondering about the rings, and if anyone ran the diamonds without the coating!

i deff understand theres a benifit to the coating but forged pistons are pretty ****** strong as it is... who needs 250 worth of coatings making a 450 set of pistons which is already high priced a $700 set of pistons......
Old 09-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Banned

I am curious as well.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:16 AM

well at the heat range you will be running at with 22 psi of boost and a higher compression ratio all that squeezing and operating temps are going to effect your internals with double the wear. So my question is, why are you going to build a engine so you can run that psi and temp but skimp while you have it broken down. If you can add operating hours and performance all in one shot, it would be dumb not to. I would not go with stock rings as they are rated for a certian ratio and dependability would be out the door. If its broken down to the open block build it right, dont skimp. Waste of time if you do
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 AM

I have worked on an LSJ using stock rings with Diamond Pistons. While building Witt's motor, that is what we did. It works, but I would suggest against it. His car will pressurize the crank case rather easily and will pop the dipstick out.

Even he will admit, his rings don't seal as well as the other few motors we did using Total Seals. Our recent one, Dan's motor, was accidently seeing about 28-30lbs of boost from his Turbo during its first ~75 miles and it held every bit of it with the Total Seals. No dipstick shooting or smoke.

I used Total Seals on my motor and another one I built in California with great results/sealing.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 AM

im NOT gonna use stock rings just curious like stated as to who HAS used em so i can see what they have to say. im deff gonna run new rings so i can break in the top end myself correctly

as to "skimping" im not skimping on something when its not needed (which i dont see it being needed)

its not like my car is going to blow up because i didnt buy an "optional" coating.... i dont feel its needed the pistons will be a huge upgrade as it is.

now what i do understand is that forged metal expands and contracts at different rates as to why the side coating is important to reduce the chance of piston scuffing during slap...

and the top coating will help transfer heat evenly through out the piston...

but like i said iv done multiple engine builds using standered non coated forged pistons and found no scuffing or detonation evidence upon tear down...

so know that ive completly explained my self to you... do you have any more suggestion know that you have a little more to the story... have you ever built an lsj or used diamond pistons, and if so which ones and what was your review/outcome?

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
I have worked on an LSJ using stock rings with Diamond Pistons. While building Witt's motor, that is what we did. It works, but I would suggest against it. His car will pressurize the crank case rather easily and will pop the dipstick out.

Even he will admit, his rings don't seal as well as the other few motors we did using Total Seals. Our recent one, Dan's motor, was accidently seeing about 28-30lbs of boost from his Turbo during its first ~75 miles and it held every bit of it with the Total Seals. No dipstick shooting or smoke.

I used Total Seals on my motor and another one I built in California with great results/sealing.

cool thanks, so iv deff decided on the not using stock rings. now what about coatings? i wasent to sure but im assuming you didnt use either? and were did you order from? thanks in advance

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 09-01-2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2008, 01:39 AM

I used nothing but Diamond Pistons in all the LSJ's I've worked on, about 4 cars, 6 builds. Never had a single problem with them. Out of all them, they all had the coatings. Only reason I got the coatings personally was because that is all Intense-Racing had instock, and they were able to ship them to me next day.

If I was able to wait, I wouldn't of cared what coatings were on them. At the same time, if those coatings really do help in the long run, why not just get them. I haven't seen proof to say that they actually do help, though.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
I used nothing but Diamond Pistons in all the LSJ's I've worked on, about 4 cars, 6 builds. Never had a single problem with them. Out of all them, they all had the coatings. Only reason I got the coatings personally was because that is all Intense-Racing had instock, and they were able to ship them to me next day.

If I was able to wait, I wouldn't of cared what coatings were on them. At the same time, if those coatings really do help in the long run, why not just get them. I haven't seen proof to say that they actually do help, though.

turbo tech racing now offers em anyway you want. without coating they are 500 shipped. with coatings there 720 shipped

intense sells only fully coated for 700 shipped.

im torn as to weather the coatings are needed. and im gonna just end up forking over the cash like you said

one other question did you re-hone the cylinders to 220 or 240 grit? or a simple swap was performed? thanks for taking the time to help.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 AM

My motor and Witt's motor both only had about ~10k miles on it. They still had the stock/new crosshatch on the sleeves so we didn't bother touching them. Both hold compression fine. His has minor issues but it was from using the weaker stock rings. Mine sealed up great with the Total Seals.

Dan's block was worked on by a machine shop. Not sure exactly what they used, but they deglazed/crosshatched the block perfectly.

If you don't plan on removing the motor, I would just get one of those deglazers that go on a drill.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 AM

well ive only got 15k on mine and would like to just do thee old swap out the bottom... im a little worried about how exactly you compressed the rings to get the pistons back in through the bottom... can you still fit a ring compressor up in there? and i would like to just use the stock sleeves and just slap in some diamonds... now that i think about it you left the motor in and just pulled the head and oil pan correct? theres no way to avoid pulling the head.... cause of the rings and ring compressing right?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:02 AM

Where can i find them just for 400 with out the coatings to purchase?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ intense racing
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 AM

^^ false... turbo tech racing

intense only sells coated.....
Old 09-01-2008, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
^^ false... turbo tech racing

intense only sells coated.....
correct you are sir.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:23 AM

no point in coating its going to flake off..and no point in stock rings...you never know they could be near damaged. Plus most people brak piston rings on these cars, so why not replace them lol...just dont see the point in stock rings
Old 09-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the guys above probably know more than i do, but in the GMR build book, they used the stock rings on diamond pistons. GM knows a little bit about what they're doing.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by 04redline0124
no point in coating its going to flake off..and no point in stock rings...you never know they could be near damaged. Plus most people brak piston rings on these cars, so why not replace them lol...just dont see the point in stock rings
i only know of joe breaking rings... guys break ringlands. but yes as stated above rings will be new...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 AM

i only know of joe breaking rings... guys break ringlands. but yes as stated above rings will be new...
joe broke ringlands also...and sry i ment to say ringlands not rings lol
Old 09-01-2008, 02:27 AM

im thinking about just going no coating... i guess ill be the guinny pig...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:27 AM

im thinking about just going no coating... i guess ill be the guinny pig...
it flakes off anyways lol, no need IMO
Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 AM

i dont know if ravenss had the coatings but when i saw his pistons after he blew
they did not look coated anymore....
Old 09-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't think they were coated hungry, but yeah, haha, they didn't look very good either.

i couldn't find your part out thread, so i'm just letting you know, the other 225 is on it's way!

Last edited by ls1fbody; 09-01-2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2008, 03:12 AM

cool as soon as it clears you will have a pm with tracking #

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
i don't think they were coated hungry, but yeah, haha, they didn't look very good either.
i couldn't find your part out thread, so i'm just letting you know, the other 225 is on it's way!

i'v never seen a forged piston SO FUCKED UP... that **** took a beating

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 09-01-2008 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: stock rings on diamond pistons?