2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Stripped a torx bolt, and having problems with the Stage 3 Install...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stripped a torx bolt, and having problems with the Stage 3 Install...

So... It seems as if I am getting problem after problem with the zzp stage 3 install. I stripped one of the four torx bolts on the spark plug cover and can't get it off no matter how hard I try, I lost a socket somewhere in the engine and can't get it out, I can't bend back the tabs far enough so I can fit the heat exchanger in, and while I was putting in the #60 injectors I noticed coolant leaking out onto the floor (I haven't started to even work on the plumbing and haven't drained the coolant for the dual pass or HE and I have no idea where its coming from).
I'm not asking for help necessarily, I'm more venting, but I still would love to know how to get a stuck torx bolt out and how to bend back those tabs. I need to fix these damn problems so I can finish the install and drive my car (It's been almost a month since I have been able to drive it.) I have school starting in less than two weeks and I'm not taking any bus haha.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM

try vice grips or drill it out
Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard of a guy JB welding a tool onto a bolt to get it out

Is ur coolant level low?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
use a nut driver to get it out. its a dead hammer device with a fitting on the end for a socket, you hit it hard with a hammer, and it rotates the bolt as it presses down on impact.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM

How did you strip a torx bolt? Torx bites soo good

none the less If i strip phillips screws I put a rubber band over the screw head and press the driver into the rubber band. Seems to work quite well
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by turbosmart4
I heard of a guy JB welding a tool onto a bolt to get it out

Is ur coolant level low?
I can check the coolant tomorrow, but I am scared of welding because when I changed my injectors I got gas all over my engine and wouldn't want to blow myself up .
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
use a nut driver to get it out. its a dead hammer device with a fitting on the end for a socket, you hit it hard with a hammer, and it rotates the bolt as it presses down on impact.
Are they expensive? I'm going to Sears tomorrow for carb cleaner and other things so I could check them out. I have never heard of that thanks for the tip.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Garret
How did you strip a torx bolt? Torx bites soo good

none the less If i strip phillips screws I put a rubber band over the screw head and press the driver into the rubber band. Seems to work quite well
If I had to guess the valve cover was still hot, don't ask me how I know...
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 PM

you culd take a dremel or cutting wheel and cut a "+" in the top of the bolt head so that you can use a screw driver to get it off. if you need more torque than you are able to apply by hand then just put the screw driver in and attach a vise grips to the side of it, then press with your body weight on the top of the screw driver and use the vise grips to turn the screw driver from the side, it helps give you more torque while keeping the driver really tight against the bolt.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Does a hot valve cover make it easier to strip a bolt? Cause I stripped it when it was cold, I won't lie I was rushing terribly for no particular reason when i did it
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BoSStwick
I can check the coolant tomorrow, but I am scared of welding because when I changed my injectors I got gas all over my engine and wouldn't want to blow myself up .
JB weld is not actuall welding, its an epoxy that you can put on that is almost as strong as welding, it can work, jsut depends on how stuck it is, but also look for an extractor set, I usually can get them to work pretty good, as far as the tabs on the heat exchanger, if its the ones you mount it to the body, you should have never have had to of bend them, they should have slide right into place, but to bend them back, just take a pair of pliers, that should work, or a cresent wrench
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM

metal might be a bit softer when its hot which would make it easier to strip. btw, as for the socket, you prolly dropped it down the intake manifold which needs to come off when you install your dual pass so you can get it out when you take the manifold off.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by brian.olsson
JB weld is not actuall welding, its an epoxy that you can put on that is almost as strong as welding, it can work, jsut depends on how stuck it is, but also look for an extractor set, I usually can get them to work pretty good, as far as the tabs on the heat exchanger, if its the ones you mount it to the body, you should have never have had to of bend them, they should have slide right into place, but to bend them back, just take a pair of pliers, that should work, or a cresent wrench
That stuff sounds awesome, I tried using plastic cement by glueing my torx bit to the bolt but it didn't do anything so I might give that stuff a try, the extractor set sounds like it might work too. The bolt I stripped doesn't go that deep and is relatively small so either one of those should work. And for the heat exchanger I remember reading a thread on here where people were talking about how they couldn't get their HE to fit and had to bend all sorts of metal. I was able to bend it a little bit with pliers but I couldn't bend it any farther without hitting metal above it with the handle. I appreciate the help.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by LamboW9
metal might be a bit softer when its hot which would make it easier to strip. btw, as for the socket, you prolly dropped it down the intake manifold which needs to come off when you install your dual pass so you can get it out when you take the manifold off.
I couldn't have dropped it in the intake manifold because I taped that up anyway (even though i'm taking it off). I'm sure it is in some place that it will just rumble out when I start the car.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 PM

did you use a magnetic tool to try to feel around for it?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoSStwick
That stuff sounds awesome, I tried using plastic cement by glueing my torx bit to the bolt but it didn't do anything so I might give that stuff a try, the extractor set sounds like it might work too. The bolt I stripped doesn't go that deep and is relatively small so either one of those should work. And for the heat exchanger I remember reading a thread on here where people were talking about how they couldn't get their HE to fit and had to bend all sorts of metal. I was able to bend it a little bit with pliers but I couldn't bend it any farther without hitting metal above it with the handle. I appreciate the help.
yeah, I know what he your talking about and were its hitting, I did my buddies with the least ammount of bending I could, its still a pain though, I jsut put it up in their, looked at what it was hitting, pulled it out, bent it and tried again and agiain till it slid in, it sucks, but oh well, it worked
Old 08-22-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stripped one of mine when taking off the cover to polish it. I got it out with an easyout without too much trouble
Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Ha! Happened to me to! Accept it was all 4.....
Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by brian.olsson
yeah, I know what he your talking about and were its hitting, I did my buddies with the least ammount of bending I could, its still a pain though, I just put it up in their, looked at what it was hitting, pulled it out, bent it and tried again and again till it slid in, it sucks, but oh well, it worked
Yeah I get what you mean, I guess that's just what I'll have to do to get it to fit, as much as a pain it will be.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM

If you get stuck, you are more than welcome to shoot down for the day and get some help. I will be at my shop this Saturday so feel free to come down.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 PM

happened to me, had the bolt out in 3 seconds get a punch and make a indent slightly off to the side of the torx slot or what have you, bang the punch on an angle so as to move the bolt in the counterclockwise direction and your set. But as for the rest of your problems man if your having these problems maybe you should take your car to a shop or have someone come over with some good knowledge on the platform and give you a hand, or go study the hell out of some how tos. Just my 0.02 good luck
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM

If you use JB Weld make sure you let it fully cure. I stripped one of my SC bolts and tried using JB weld and it hadn't cured all the way... COMPLETE WASTE lol

I personally would recommend taking to a larger torx bit and hammering it into the head, it should wedge itself in there pretty good, then just use a ratchet to get it out.

If that doesn't work, drill it. Just make sure you use a cobalt bit (not Kobalt, but acutally made of cobalt), and DRILL IT STRAIGHT!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Today I managed to install the Heat Exchanger, tried to empty the coolant (pulled the wrong hose haha), and overall cleaned up my garage. I still haven't gotten the torx bolt out but I think I might do what Jdam said and punch a larger torx into the smaller one, seems to make the most sense. I still have a sturdy sized project that I have postponed, which is to remove the intake manifold and install a dual pass endplate. I have read multiple upon multiple how to's over and over but until you actually do it yourself, you don't realize how hard a task is once you do it in person. So that's why I'll ask if I have any problems with the manifold, as I'm sure one will come up.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM

Oh and by the way, I know this is a over asked question, but to drain the coolant, you pull the hose on the radiator that is connected to the pump right? I ended up pulling the hose that is connected to the filler neck from the radiator. I was so confused why only a handful of coolant came out... then I felt stupid haha. The reason I asked that question is because I didn't understand the way people described it in other threads. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had this happen. I drilled a big hole, which made the bolt weak. Then used an easy out to break the top piece off the bolt. Took valvecover off, used vice-grip to unscrew.

Quick Reply: Stripped a torx bolt, and having problems with the Stage 3 Install...