2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

supercharger silencer holes

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger silencer holes

Hey, anyone ever plug the silencer holes on the supercharger? if so, what is the safest way to do this, tig welding seems to be the only thing i could find. also how much of a change do these holes being plugged make? thanks for all the help!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 PM

yup, i did, and no, NEVER weld on the supercharger, it will distort the metal, the best way to do this, is to use JB WELD, mix it up, and press it in. When you do it the rotors need to come out of the supercharger and you need to sand down the inside of the housing to make sure the JB Weld isnt touching the rotors as they pass.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 PM

There has been many many topics on it.Use this to find it.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/search.php
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
There has been many many topics on it.Use this to find it.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/search.php
Thanks everyone for the info. ill be trying it out soon.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 PM

I second the epoxy method. Only try and find stuff called QuickSteel. It has a higher temp resistant and fully cures in an hour. Advance Auto sells it as do most hardware or autoparts stores. Make sure you take the rotors out and sand down the inside bottom of the epoxy plug really well. The clearances inside are really tight. Also put some duct tape inside soo that it doesn't leak to the inside. When pulling apart the snout be careful to only pull both the snout and the middle piece out of the main housing. If you pull just the snout, you will lose all of the supercharger oil, and need to purchase more oil to fill it. I put a big clamp on the snout and middle piece, and did not spill a single drop of oil. Good luck, its a definite sound improvement. Only think that I didn't like was that it makes the blower louder at idle and it makes a weird rattling sound. Kinda reminds me of some marbles rolling around inside there... If you want pics check out my VBGarage...
Old 07-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by csementuh
I second the epoxy method. Only try and find stuff called QuickSteel. It has a higher temp resistant and fully cures in an hour. Advance Auto sells it as do most hardware or autoparts stores. Make sure you take the rotors out and sand down the inside bottom of the epoxy plug really well. The clearances inside are really tight. Also put some duct tape inside soo that it doesn't leak to the inside. When pulling apart the snout be careful to only pull both the snout and the middle piece out of the main housing. If you pull just the snout, you will lose all of the supercharger oil, and need to purchase more oil to fill it. I put a big clamp on the snout and middle piece, and did not spill a single drop of oil. Good luck, its a definite sound improvement. Only think that I didn't like was that it makes the blower louder at idle and it makes a weird rattling sound. Kinda reminds me of some marbles rolling around inside there... If you want pics check out my VBGarage...
im going out tonight to get some quicksteel. i have 2 superchargers. one on my car now, and i recently totalled my last cobalt so i have the supercharger for that. so if it doesnt work out i guess i got a back up. thanks for all your help!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Um, it's not supposed to sound like marbles. Did you clean the bearings out and regrease them before reassembling the blower? If not there is your problem.

I did this to mine, HUGE improvement in sound. Even in normal driving if you get on it a little you can hear it. And I only have an airbox mod, with a metal intake i'd imagine it would be a lot louder.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Banned

generally its the coupler if it sounds like "marbles" did you change the coupler when u packed the bearings?

also how did you get them out ?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by rrutter81
generally its the coupler if it sounds like "marbles" did you change the coupler when u packed the bearings?

also how did you get them out ?
OK, the marbles comment is an exaggeration... There is a bit of sound, but nothing too bad. My car only has 7000 miles on it. I taped off the bearing area soo that I did not have a problem with losing any grease. BTW what type of grease should be used? I did not add any additional grease as I saw no point to. As fas as the coupler is concerned, I didn't crack open the snout at all. I clamped it and pulled the whole assembly out of the main housing. My coupler surely shouldn't be bad after that little mileage..?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
OK, the marbles comment is an exaggeration... There is a bit of sound, but nothing too bad. My car only has 7000 miles on it. I taped off the bearing area soo that I did not have a problem with losing any grease. BTW what type of grease should be used? I did not add any additional grease as I saw no point to. As fas as the coupler is concerned, I didn't crack open the snout at all. I clamped it and pulled the whole assembly out of the main housing. My coupler surely shouldn't be bad after that little mileage..?
When you sand down the "steel" a bunch of grit and dust gets in the bearings. I cleaned mine out with damn near a full can of brakleen and regreased them with wheel bearing grease. Looks good as new. When there was dirt in them it had that marble sound, and it felt gritty when I turned the pulley because of all that **** inside the bearings. Luckily I noticed before I reinstalled the blower.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jrhdpaintball
Hey, anyone ever plug the silencer holes on the supercharger? if so, what is the safest way to do this, tig welding seems to be the only thing i could find. also how much of a change do these holes being plugged make? thanks for all the help!
Welding!? what were you dropped on your noggin You cant weld on a precesion machined part such as a SC housing. The rotor bores would go out of round resuliting in blade contact. If you rotors hit the housing your gonna have a hard time explaining to the dealer how you have chunks of metal lodged into you intercooler. I do believe there is a thread around here where an Eaton engineer stated that some form of epoxy, JB weld: the OG stuff or quick aluminum, was the best method.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 AM

Ummm my supercharger started making the "marbles" noise at around 8000 miles and I'm completely stock! I'm taking it to the dealership to make them replace the coupler thanks to the advice of rrutter81
Old 07-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
Ummm my supercharger started making the "marbles" noise at around 8000 miles and I'm completely stock! I'm taking it to the dealership to make them replace the coupler thanks to the advice of rrutter81

HAHA i always kinda liked the funky sound my blower made at idle.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
When you sand down the "steel" a bunch of grit and dust gets in the bearings. I cleaned mine out with damn near a full can of brakleen and regreased them with wheel bearing grease. Looks good as new. When there was dirt in them it had that marble sound, and it felt gritty when I turned the pulley because of all that **** inside the bearings. Luckily I noticed before I reinstalled the blower.
I put a piece of duct tape over the bearing end of the blower. Using this method I was able to port the blower and fill the holes with QuickSteel without worrying about screwing up the bearing. I cleaned everything thoroughly with compressed air and brake parts cleaner before removing the tape and reassembling it all. Just an FYI. I don't think re-greasing the bearing is needed if they are not messed up.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 AM

LOL yea that's not a normal motor sound. It's not good. I get the distinct feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the phone with GM in the near future over this LOL. But hey every time I call them and complain they give me a year of OnStar for free or a free GMPP service package which covers my oil changes and basic maintenance so I'm not gonna bitch about having to call them too much LOL
Old 07-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Banned

I put a piece of duct tape over the bearing end of the blower. Using this method I was able to port the blower and fill the holes with QuickSteel without worrying about screwing up the bearing. I cleaned everything thoroughly with compressed air and brake parts cleaner before removing the tape and reassembling it all. Just an FYI. I don't think re-greasing the bearing is needed if they are not messed up.
qft

well said

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
LOL yea that's not a normal motor sound. It's not good. I get the distinct feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the phone with GM in the near future over this LOL. But hey every time I call them and complain they give me a year of OnStar for free or a free GMPP service package which covers my oil changes and basic maintenance so I'm not gonna bitch about having to call them too much LOL
its not hard to do it yourself since they arent supercharger engineers and are more than likely going to just replace the entire SC. Many times ive seen people go to the dealerships and they couldnt find the problem so they just replaced an entire unit.

Last edited by rrutter81; 07-04-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rrutter81
qft
well said
Why thank you! And FYI rrutter, my porting was pretty light. I know how much you like to argue against porting the S/C in general... I just cleaned it up a bit while I had it apart...
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

Why thank you! And FYI rrutter, my porting was pretty light. I know how much you like to argue against porting the S/C in general... I just cleaned it up a bit while I had it apart...
u dont have to explain to me man. Its a questionable mod to those that know what they are doing, and disastrous for those that dont. Besides, whatever happens in one thread doesnt apply to this one or the other
Old 07-04-2008, 03:56 PM

would it be possible to stuff a rag or clean cloth into the bottom of the housing where the bearings are to prevent shavings and what-not from going down there while porting/plugging? would that be a little better than some tape?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ecotecon18s
would it be possible to stuff a rag or clean cloth into the bottom of the housing where the bearings are to prevent shavings and what-not from going down there while porting/plugging? would that be a little better than some tape?
3m tape is best man.... u wont get a nice enough seal with a rag.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:01 PM

so just tape over the bottom 2 holes where the rotors go, then when im done clean it out with brake cleaner and remove the tape right?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by ecotecon18s
so just tape over the bottom 2 holes where the rotors go, then when im done clean it out with brake cleaner and remove the tape right?
ive got the supercharger apart last night, and tommarrow im going to begin porting it slightly, and plugging the silencer holes. so i guess its not a bad idea to port or atleast polis the inlet to the supercharger, and possibly the throttle body? all of these are my spare parts, so its really just an experiment, but if it helps a little id be down for it. thanks for everyones help too!