2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Supercharger whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tiny
you are retarded, find me a car that has a turbo that boosts 100% of the time
and superchargers are more dependent that turbo setups bc they run off the engine, turbo's are tuned to boost based on other factors
get your facts straight
why would you want a turbo that boosts 100% of the time? unlike a s/c you can regulate your boost to a certain extent with your right foot, a s/c is going to boost regardless since it is directly driven by the motor, and personally i like making power using my waste exhaust vs. parasitic drag off my motor.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 PM

zinner good color choice i also picked blue....as for the supercharger whine...well i got my SS on good friday and approximately around 1145 saturday night a buddy of mine who has a 1995 V6 Camaro pulls up next to me at the stop light on the bypass at my house...now the bypass by my house is almost a mile and a half long...well the light turned green and i hammered it in 1st gear and started spinning tire aso i hit 2nd and let off the gas cuz i started to slide off the road and i wound it out to about 6K and slammed it into 3rd and just took off and smoked my buddy but after we pulled into a parking lot to talk and he said that the supercharger was screaming when i wound it out in 2nd gear and he heard it when i took off in 3rd
Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 AM

^ ^ no doubt you beat him, those V6's are heavy ****'s and underpowered. Don't mess with a TA though.

As for the SC whine; i want people outside the car to hear it scream, but inside i would rather not have it loud unless i am at WOT.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:52 PM

You have to be on it pretty hard before you hear it inside with the stereo off.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Saki XL
Doesn't that feeling kick ass? Strangely enough, not a lot of people know anything about the Cobalt SS here. If I even remotely say anything about it I get a "Huh?" and "What the hell is that?"

Zinner/Sleeper: Are you going to go with the Ram Air Hood / CAI? Do you think this will increase that SuperCharger's volume, along with adding it's beneficiary stats to the HP? I'd love for more people to hear it and wonder "Holy ****, what's that guy running?", they already
have no freaking clue what it is.

Ja matta ne
The Cobalt SS/SC intake is in the fender already. The only thing I can see myself doing is getting a K&N filter for it and taking out the air box. Unless you want to make it look nice then an aftermarket CAI would definetly look better than stock.

If I could get a function hood scope hood I might check that out too, I dunno how that would be in the rain however.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:09 PM

There has to be something muffling the whine. My 01 Cavalier Z24 with a lil M45 blower and fenderwell intake screams at half throttle.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Moderator Alumni

Ok so I was out driving my Cobalt SS/SC today. It's sunny, warm, windows down. As I driving beside a jersey wall I crack open the throttle and I could distinctly hear the blower and a loud sucking sound.

I think from within side the car with all the windows up you can't hear much, but with the windows down and the jersey wall you could definetly hear the supercharger.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by viperinadiaper
why would you want a turbo that boosts 100% of the time? unlike a s/c you can regulate your boost to a certain extent with your right foot, a s/c is going to boost regardless since it is directly driven by the motor, and personally i like making power using my waste exhaust vs. parasitic drag off my motor.

why are turbo owners retarding their timing so they can boost at launch??
because you boost during the whole powerband, and thats awesome for racing
Old 04-12-2005, 04:37 PM

ss performance parts

as of now according to my mom(works for gm so i get discounts bitches) the performance parts section from gm is setup. they will be having a highpost pulley which brings s/c boost to 30 psi, replacement ecu which brings up the redline and takes of torque limiter, rev limiter, and gov, and also have a turbo kit out that according to the dealership will be able to be installed ontop of the s/c which i think is bullshit but tight if true which will bring hp and tq near 500 at the wheels. be expecting many more parts coming out and dont forget the ion redline parts are compatible with cobalt ss parts and vice versa since the engine and platform are exactly the same. on a side note the saturn sky redline will be between 25-28k not including the discounts u get if u or parents/friends can give u if they work for gm.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrbojangles1619
as of now according to my mom(works for gm so i get discounts bitches) the performance parts section from gm is setup. they will be having a highpost pulley which brings s/c boost to 30 psi, replacement ecu which brings up the redline and takes of torque limiter, rev limiter, and gov, and also have a turbo kit out that according to the dealership will be able to be installed ontop of the s/c which i think is bullshit but tight if true which will bring hp and tq near 500 at the wheels. be expecting many more parts coming out and dont forget the ion redline parts are compatible with cobalt ss parts and vice versa since the engine and platform are exactly the same. on a side note the saturn sky redline will be between 25-28k not including the discounts u get if u or parents/friends can give u if they work for gm.
they are not the same engine exactly, example, both intakes are very different, and another thing, i think all your info is not all true
Old 04-12-2005, 11:16 PM

i dont know if its all true or not. thats according to gm(my mom) that she heard from them. but if it is its tight
Old 04-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Moderator Alumni

I can't believe that they will have a pulley to put out 30 PSI of boost. I would have a hard time believing 20 PSI. Only because the blower can't move that many CFM and if it could that would indicate a very restricted intake/exhaust track. Hell I know a guy who has a tweaked out WRX and he is running an upgraded turbo at only 25PSI.

Second I don't get any discount for my dad working at a Chevy dealer. He would have to buy the car to get any discount.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
I can't believe that they will have a pulley to put out 30 PSI of boost. I would have a hard time believing 20 PSI. Only because the blower can't move that many CFM and if it could that would indicate a very restricted intake/exhaust track. Hell I know a guy who has a tweaked out WRX and he is running an upgraded turbo at only 25PSI.

Second I don't get any discount for my dad working at a Chevy dealer. He would have to buy the car to get any discount.

zinner, if any family members work at a gm company, you can get a discount

and there is no way in hell that SC can get 30psi
20 psi on a supercharger is amazing
turbos can be installed on top of superchargers
you will need some really damn serious fuel upgrades to do all these
a stock block can only do 300hp or so without exploding
not all redline/cobalt parts are universal
Old 04-27-2005, 01:37 PM

The stock air-box keeps the blower quite.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by num482
The stock air-box keeps the blower quite.
Not for long.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:48 PM

I dont think chevy will go turbo becuase it just wouldnt sound right... LOL

SS SUpercharged... or
SS Turbocharged?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:31 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
i got the GM supplier price because i work for BFS/firestone. I also got GM hotbutton discount and talked em down 600 bux = $20,600+ TTL and 75000K warranty put me @22,383
Old 05-16-2005, 12:25 AM

Well I Have Had My Ss Cobalt For A Month In Half.i Just Cut Out The Intake Box Under The Driver Side Light.and Out A K&n Cone On It Let Me Tell You It Screams Now.and I Have Seen Guys Post They Ran In The 15"s Well I Ran Mine Last Week In Nj And I Only Ran Teice And The Best Time Was 14.38 Need To Work On Coming Out Of The Hole With Out Burnning The Tires.but There Was A Lot Of People That Where Very Inprest With It,when They Seen It Burnning The Tires And Still Run That Good.well I Will Post So More Time Next Week I Will Be On The Track If The Weatherholds Up.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:45 AM

the 2.0 engine will not blow at 300hp, you are refering to the 2.2 eco which blew at 280 hp, the 2.0 engine will be able to handle 400+ hp easily.

the Redline engine and cobalt ss engine are exactly the same, just the engine layout in the engine bay is difference hence why you cannot swap intakes and headers.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by DUBBS
Well I Have Had My Ss Cobalt For A Month In Half.i Just Cut Out The Intake Box Under The Driver Side Light.and Out A K&n Cone On It Let Me Tell You It Screams Now.and I Have Seen Guys Post They Ran In The 15"s Well I Ran Mine Last Week In Nj And I Only Ran Teice And The Best Time Was 14.38 Need To Work On Coming Out Of The Hole With Out Burnning The Tires.but There Was A Lot Of People That Where Very Inprest With It,when They Seen It Burnning The Tires And Still Run That Good.well I Will Post So More Time Next Week I Will Be On The Track If The Weatherholds Up.

I think everyone would agree that you need to post up your slips from the track.
I'm not doubting that you ran a 14.38, but it would be nice to see the proof.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:05 PM

yes i agree with voodoo.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:57 PM

also no g-tech times, they are so not accurate. G-tec times are not legit. only track times please.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Well a RL around the Delaware, Maryland area ran a 14.3 not sure on the exact numbers...so it is possible BUT slips please!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

I don't think it will take long until a Cobalt SS hits a high 13.

I think people need to learn how to drive them to there 100% potential before mods.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:42 PM

I installed the K&N filter on my ss and it REALLY makes the supercharger whine louder. Perfomance gain is also noticeable. Worth the money until a full aftermarket intake system become available.

Quick Reply: Supercharger whine