2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Timing Chain Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 PM
~G~

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing Chain Help!!

Okay everyone, I'm putting my car back together but having one small issue and could use some help. When i put the chain on in all the correct places meaning. Crank at 5 o clock, Intake at 2, and Exhaust at 10. Then i add the spring tensioner bolt on the back and set it... But when i take the crank bolt and make the car do one full revolution clockwise the chain becomes a half a link loose then it gets back to tight. It seems as if after every one full rotation it is doing this. I don't understand and could use some input. I will say it doesn't jump teeth. It doesn't get that loose. But loose enough to notice which i know is incorrect. I have built a few motors now and have never had this issue with timing.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by ~G~; 07-13-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
its where the tensioner dosent have oil pressre to keeep it tight enough so it gets a little slack in it
Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
~G~

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
its where the tensioner dosent have oil pressre to keeep it tight enough so it gets a little slack in it
This is a "spring" tensioner like i stated. It is not an oil compressed one.You must have never attempted this on our cars huh? lol. And like i said everything is going on correct. The spring is releasing when bumped. It really makes no sense. But thanks for the input....I think lol
Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ~G~
This is a "spring" tensioner like i stated. It is not an oil compressed one.You must have never attempted this on our cars huh? lol. And like i said everything is going on correct. The spring is releasing when bumped. It really makes no sense. But thanks for the input....I think lol
it also uses oil pressure to put tension on the chain
Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 AM
~G~

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
it also uses oil pressure to put tension on the chain
Oh ya? Where is this oil pressure coming from?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

where the tensioner screws into the head there is an oil feed hole to supply oil pressue to the tensioner
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil is applied under pressure to the crankshaft, connecting rods, balance shaft assembly, camshaft bearing surfaces, valve lash adjusters and timing chain hydraulic tensioner. All other moving parts are lubricated by gravity flow or splash. Oil enters the gerotor type oil pump through a fixed inlet screen. The oil pump is driven by the crankshaft. The oil pump body is within the engine front cover. The pressurized oil from the pump passes through the oil filter. The oil filter is located on the right (front) side of the engine block. The oil filter is housed in a casting that is integrated with the engine block. The oil filter is a disposable cartridge type. A by-pass valve in the filter cap allows continuous oil flow in case the oil filter should become restricted. Oil then enters the gallery where it is distributed to the balance shafts, crankshaft, camshafts and camshaft timing chain oiler nozzle. The connecting rod bearings are oiled by constant oil flow passages through the crankshaft connecting the main journals to the rod journals. A groove around each upper main bearing furnishes oil to the drilled crankshaft passages. The pressurized oil passes through the cylinder head restrictor orifice into the cylinder head and then into each camshaft feed gallery. Cast passages feed each hydraulic element adjuster and drilled passages feed each camshaft bearing surface. An engine oil pressure switch or sensor is installed at the end. Oil returns to the oil pan through passages cast into the cylinder head. The timing chain lubrication drains directly into the oil pan

too much to type so just copied and pasted from S.I.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
~G~

Originally Posted by scopedmp5
Oil is applied under pressure to the crankshaft, connecting rods, balance shaft assembly, camshaft bearing surfaces, valve lash adjusters and timing chain hydraulic tensioner. All other moving parts are lubricated by gravity flow or splash. Oil enters the gerotor type oil pump through a fixed inlet screen. The oil pump is driven by the crankshaft. The oil pump body is within the engine front cover. The pressurized oil from the pump passes through the oil filter. The oil filter is located on the right (front) side of the engine block. The oil filter is housed in a casting that is integrated with the engine block. The oil filter is a disposable cartridge type. A by-pass valve in the filter cap allows continuous oil flow in case the oil filter should become restricted. Oil then enters the gallery where it is distributed to the balance shafts, crankshaft, camshafts and camshaft timing chain oiler nozzle. The connecting rod bearings are oiled by constant oil flow passages through the crankshaft connecting the main journals to the rod journals. A groove around each upper main bearing furnishes oil to the drilled crankshaft passages. The pressurized oil passes through the cylinder head restrictor orifice into the cylinder head and then into each camshaft feed gallery. Cast passages feed each hydraulic element adjuster and drilled passages feed each camshaft bearing surface. An engine oil pressure switch or sensor is installed at the end. Oil returns to the oil pan through passages cast into the cylinder head. The timing chain lubrication drains directly into the oil pan

too much to type so just copied and pasted from S.I.
What the hell does this have to do with my question?? I have access to alldata which shows this. Seems no one has an answer or knows what's going on.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

i told you what is going on that tensioner requires oil pressur to keep the chain tight enough to keep the slack out it

the old tensioner used the spring pressure to keep the chain tight enough for startup once the engine is running then oil pressure shoves the plunger out against the chain slider to keep it tight the new tensioner is oil fed only (no spring tension) once you start it up pressure shoves the plunger out tightens up the chain and with this tensioner when you shut the engine off it has a hydro mechanical lock on the inside to lock the plunger in place when you loose oil pressure from shutting the engine off

what you are seeing is normal untill you get enough tension on the chain and rotate the engine fast enough because of the slack the cam shafts from snapping over faster then you can rotate the engine by hand so i guess i havent seen this before huh

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 07-14-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM

I saw a drawing once of the "newer" cct and the factory ones, laid side by side. I've taken apart the oem one, not the newer one, and whent aking apart the oem one inside the slide that expands out is a galley which moves in and out either releasing or filling with more oil. if you look closely at the cct you will see some pin holes and that is where the oil pressure support comes from, it's not just the spring. plus, this is a DOHC engine, not SOHC so when the cams are just barely not lined up they are pulling on eachother and vice versa when they are lined up and off the valve rockers there is slack.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM

The first sentence of that paragraph answers your question ..... So yes, that does have to do with what you were asking. What you are seeing is normal.