2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

TOGheader dyno results >>>>>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TOGheader dyno results >>>>>>>>>

Cobalt SS/SC dyno results with TOG http://www.theotherguysproducts.com shorty header:

The header makes 9.9whp and 4.9wtq on a mustang dyno. These are outstanding numbers for a shorty header. The runs were done with my car which is completely stock, and were ran on the same dyno both times. after the header was installed the car was driven for 300 miles to ensure everything was working properly before the dyno. from the graphs you can see this is not a spurt of power, the header produces power through the entire rpm range. if you look at the bottom graph you will see the green arrows and bracket. this is to show that where the stock manifold wasn't flowing enough, and it starts sagging a little, the TOG header has a massive advantage over it. From seeing this massive jump on the top end, that shows the header does not only give you extra power, when you start modding the car and more flow is going through on the bottom end, is: cams, head work, pully upgrades etc. this header is going to help you make that extra power easier, which in turn makes more power.

While driving the car i have noticed a few changes. when revving the engine while sitting still, before the boost would get up to about 5-8 psi at 4000rpms. now the engine flows so freely the boost will barely get to 1 maybe 2psi. this is good because it shows it takes less power to turn those rpms than it did before. same thing when driving from a stop. the tires break loose before the boost even kicks in. on the top end i seen that i was pushing 12psi instead of 12.5 as i have been. this lowered amount of boost shows the car is flowing much more air than from before. and the 0.5psi loss on the car, still allowed me to get a 9.9whp gain. imagine now with a pulley to make up that extra boost it's not about having 30 psi of boost, it's about how effecient the boost system is. i love the feel the way the car just wants to run away from me on the top end now, i have had no CEL's and the header fitment was perfect.

TOG asked us as a third party to do the install and completely test the unit without any involvment from them to ensure there was no question on the quality of their products. These results are as accurate as you will find and were done on a mustang dyno, by a shop in my state.

here's some comparison pics: the stock manifold has about a 1.5" to 1.75" collector. compared to the huge 3" collector with the TOG header one of the tog primaries is what the stock manifold was using to pass 4 cylinders worth of air through. when i seen that i just started laughing and knew before even starting up the car this was going to have some nice gains.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Banned

this is for the header only, the dyno for the header and downpipe will be up as soon as we can get more time on the dyno
Old 09-28-2005, 05:41 PM

What's the opening on the end of the stock downpipe like? It looks from your pics like it was bigger than the 1.5-1.75" opening on the stock header.

Edit: Also I suppose the stock mani was cast iron. Didn't happen to weigh them both, did you?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:45 PM

If 9whp and 4wtp is good on a mustang dyno, what would that typically be on a dyno jet? Dyno jets show more hp numbers normally correct? I'm not sure how the mob will like 10whp and 4wtp for $420, and thats not including install costs. How does the cars exhaust note sound now????
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

the tog weighs maybe a pound or two lighter, it's very rugged, so it's not going to be much lighter.

the opening on the stock downpipe looked like it was abotu 3", but it's only the opening. after the first 2 inches or so it goes down to 2.5"
Old 09-28-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick
If 9whp and 4wtp is good on a mustang dyno, what would that typically be on a dyno jet? Dyno jets show more hp numbers normally correct? I'm not sure how the mob will like 10whp and 4wtp for $420, and thats not including install costs. How does the cars exhaust note sound now????
Old 09-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Banned

install only took me 3 hours or so with no air tools and no lift. i just had a some 1/2" sockets, ratchets, extensions, a wrench or two and a 15mm to remove the stock downpipe from the manifold.

jon knew before the dyno was even done that people would ask to justify the costs of the equipment as they always do. but the header will help out exponentially with every mod you put on it. it was about a 5% gain in overall whp, and everytime your put more parts on those parts will work easier making them more effecient, making more hp than expected.

the car has more of a low rumble to it at low rpms, at high rpms it sounds about the same
Old 09-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
the tog weighs maybe a pound or two lighter, it's very rugged, so it's not going to be much lighter.

the opening on the stock downpipe looked like it was abotu 3", but it's only the opening. after the first 2 inches or so it goes down to 2.5"
Weird that there was that much of a mismatch between the stock header and downpipe. Stock header at 1.5" opening into a 3" downpipe? Odd.... but all the more reason to buy this.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:55 PM

install only took me 3 hours or so with no air tools and no lift. i just had a some 1/2" sockets, ratchets, extensions, a wrench or two and a 15mm to remove the stock downpipe from the manifold.

jon knew before the dyno was even done that people would ask to justify the costs of the equipment as they always do. but the header will help out exponentially with every mod you put on it. it was about a 5% gain in overall whp, and everytime your put more parts on those parts will work easier making them more effecient, making more hp than expected.

the car has more of a low rumble to it at low rpms, at high rpms it sounds about the same
Hmm Ok... Can anyone here give an idea what a 9whp 4wtq would be on a dyno jet?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:00 PM

Hmm Ok... Can anyone here give an idea what a 9whp 4wtq would be on a dyno jet?
A bit higher, but not excessively. There's no load on a dynojet, so they tend to whip up to speed real fast and give slightly higher readings. There is no direct conversion factor,.... maybe 12hp/6-7lbft?

Either way, whether it's 10 or 11 or 12hp, who cares? Not like you can feel a difference between 10 and 12.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

all dynos are different, your dynojet and my dynojet would show totally different results. that's why a mustang dyno was used. they are usually lower than all dynojets. so when you put on the header you know it's gonna be atleast 10whp on a dynojet
Old 09-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Well how is everyone feeling about these #'s?

Vibrant will be releasing long tubes at SEMA. How much do you think long tubes would get you over shorties?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:07 PM

Well how is everyone feeling about these #'s?

Vibrant will be releasing long tubes at SEMA. How much do you think long tubes would get you over shorties?
I think it's pretty respectable. Not mind-blowing like SCDyne promising you 20hp, but then again I doubt many ppl actually got 20hp from that. I'd rather have 10 real hp than 20 fake ones.

I'm sure the long-tubes will do better, but that's sorta apples and oranges. This is a $420 drop-in, fully emissions legal replacement. Long tubes are going to either necessitate removing the cat (so no longer emission legal), or include their own cat (so much more than $420).

Also you gotta watch it with ricer companies like Weapon-R and Vibrant. May seem like a great idea for a really cheap price. But there's a reason it's cheap.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DanM
I think it's pretty respectable. Not mind-blowing like SCDyne promising you 20hp, but then again I doubt many ppl actually got 20hp from that. I'd rather have 10 real hp than 20 fake ones.

I'm sure the long-tubes will do better, but that's sorta apples and oranges. This is a $420 drop-in, fully emissions legal replacement. Long tubes are going to either necessitate removing the cat (so no longer emission legal), or include their own cat (so much more than $420).

exactly. these are real #'s tested by me and not the company, and as for the long tubes, i would really like to see them because the way our cars are setup i bet those will cost a little under $1000 for a good quality one. then you gotta worry about running without a cat and paying some hefty fines if you're caught
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM

exactly. these are real #'s tested by me and not the company, and as for the long tubes, i would really like to see them because the way our cars are setup i bet those will cost a little under $1000 for a good quality one. then you gotta worry about running without a cat and paying some hefty fines if you're caught
Gotcha. Guess I was just hoping for alittle more power for the money, and maybe even alittle more of an aggressive note out of the exhaust.

I suppose I'll just be patient and keep saving for GM Stage 2.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Not a major issue, but will the production one have the welds smoothed out? I know you said they were going to coat it... but what about smoothing the finish?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:19 PM

Another thing how much do you think the down pipe and high flow cat will add as far as power gains?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Not a major issue, but will the production one have the welds smoothed out? I know you said they were going to coat it... but what about smoothing the finish?

yeah the production header will have clean welds. this was just to get an idea of what gains will be expected.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Banned

Another thing how much do you think the down pipe and high flow cat will add as far as power gains?

no idea. i'll find out by the end of october though
Old 09-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Those are respectable gains for a shorty header. Even on the LS1 thats about all a shorty will make on a stock car.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Banned

For a singlr header thats about $200 to much.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
I would agree that it is pretty pricey but with no competition really I guess they can charge what they want.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 PM

Well this makes me more interested. But I am no 'joe mechanic' by any means. How did you do this without a lift? And if you did it with ramps, how the heck did you get this low car up the ramps haha.

Please describe a bit how you did this yourself. It will help me make my buying decision.

Much appreciated.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
You do not want a header for $220. I can almost promise you that if you find one and buy it, in a year, you'll be regretting it, wishing you'd just paid extra for the good one in the first place.

$420 is slightly on the pricey side. Compare most *good* 4-cyl headers from DC or someone like that, they typically come in around $350. $420 is a touch pricey, but for $220 you'd be getting total crap that probably doesn't mount well, is thin as hell, and will look like an orange in a year.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM

You do not want a header for $220. I can almost promise you that if you find one and buy it, in a year, you'll be regretting it, wishing you'd just paid extra for the good one in the first place.

$420 is slightly on the pricey side. Compare most *good* 4-cyl headers from DC or someone like that, they typically come in around $350. $420 is a touch pricey, but for $220 you'd be getting total crap that probably doesn't mount well, is thin as hell, and will look like an orange in a year.

Im sure he is comparing prices of this to V8 headers. In which case you can get....pacesetter longtubes for the ls1 for $375 ceramic coated http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...?ProductID=635

Quick Reply: TOGheader dyno results >>>>>>>>>