2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Turbo build done. Some problems, Pictures soon!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo build done. Some problems, Pictures soon!

Alright guys. Turbo swap is done and I'm trying to work the bugs out right now. Tuning is basically just daily driving and a few wide open pulls just for logging and minor adjustments. But i'm really having a hard time getting my turbo to spool. It comes on hard but only after 5 grand. And i know this turbo isn't that big. Just an ebay 60 trim rebuilt. I'll have pictures up soon of the build and everything but it should be spooling down around 3 thousand. I'm on open downpipe so i can hear it trying to spool from like 2500 on up but just never does until it hits 5,000. Boost leak...I doubt it? Exhaust leak? And then when it does come on like crazyyy after i lift it says engine power reduced and i have no throttle response until i go in and clear the turbo/sup wastegate controller code i keep getting from the old solenoid. Should i just plug that back in and leave it hang so i don't keep getting that code? I can't even turn it off with hp tuners it's not there. Unless I have to look for an updated dtc list.

Another thing is my blow off valve isn't opening up. It's a tial 50 mm. The first one i had the diaphram was shot and this one came off my buddies car i know works fine... Doesn't do a thing when i get out of the throttle.

One more. My turbo is sitting pretty low from where i had to mount it and i think my oil is only draining into the pan when i'm cruising. Every time i come to a stop or i'm just decelerating i get blue oil smoke out the downpipe. Is it just oil backing up insude the turbo not draining and burning? I have the hahn oil solution. Should I just tap the pan?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by terry11
Alright guys. Turbo swap is done and I'm trying to work the bugs out right now. Tuning is basically just daily driving and a few wide open pulls just for logging and minor adjustments. But i'm really having a hard time getting my turbo to spool. It comes on hard but only after 5 grand. And i know this turbo isn't that big. Just an ebay 60 trim rebuilt. I'll have pictures up soon of the build and everything but it should be spooling down around 3 thousand. I'm on open downpipe so i can hear it trying to spool from like 2500 on up but just never does until it hits 5,000. Boost leak...I doubt it? Exhaust leak? And then when it does come on like crazyyy after i lift it says engine power reduced and i have no throttle response until i go in and clear the turbo/sup wastegate controller code i keep getting from the old solenoid. Should i just plug that back in and leave it hang so i don't keep getting that code? I can't even turn it off with hp tuners it's not there. Unless I have to look for an updated dtc list.
What solenoid? If your an SS/SC, you should not be throwing any kind of wastegate code??

The turbo isn't spooling from what is most likely a wastegate opening to early, or a massive exhaust leak.

Another thing is my blow off valve isn't opening up. It's a tial 50 mm. The first one i had the diaphram was shot and this one came off my buddies car i know works fine... Doesn't do a thing when i get out of the throttle.
You have a vacuum line run from after the throttle body to the BOV correct? Check line for cracks.

One more. My turbo is sitting pretty low from where i had to mount it and i think my oil is only draining into the pan when i'm cruising. Every time i come to a stop or i'm just decelerating i get blue oil smoke out the downpipe. Is it just oil backing up insude the turbo not draining and burning? I have the hahn oil solution. Should I just tap the pan?
Hahn oil solution does NOT drain oil out of the turbo fast enough. Tap the pan.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, bravo slowswap, you answered those questions FAST!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:45 PM

yep he was a great help when I did mines
Old 03-28-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
What solenoid? If your an SS/SC, you should not be throwing any kind of wastegate code??

The turbo isn't spooling from what is most likely a wastegate opening to early, or a massive exhaust leak.

You have a vacuum line run from after the throttle body to the BOV correct? Check line for cracks.

Hahn oil solution does NOT drain oil out of the turbo fast enough. Tap the pan.

The code i'm getting is because I removed the wastegate controller. P0033. I just plugged it back in today and it doesn't say engine power reduced any more when i'm under boost.

The wastegate isn't the issue it's most likely a leak because I had to make a custom flange to extend the turbo away from the manifold some. The top flange had a leak and i fixed that yesterday now it actually spools but only at 5 grand. Then it comes on hard! The bottom one where the turbo bolts on is most likely the issue.

I just figured out the spring in my blow off valve was too strong and I cut it, but I cut it too short now it opens under boost lol I have another one i'm going to cut but smaller increments. It's a brand new line so no cracks there.

Another thing. Is it ok to tee off of the blow off valve line for the wastegate? It should be fine because when the wastegate is open at wot and 17 pounds (which is what my wastegate is set for) the blow off valve is shut. Then when i get off the throttle and the wastegate closes, the blow off valve opens. So the pressure should be the same and work fine? Or should I just tap the charge piping somewhere?

I thought that was the problem with the oil return. That setup freaking sucks... Only works when there is alot of pressure coming from the water pump. Idle or decelerating, forget about it. I have people telling me all the time at red lights i'm blowing up lol So I guess i'll be looking for the correct spot to tap the pan and get that all settled. I'm just afraid it still won't drain because it will almost be straight across from how low my turbo sits. I'm gonna have to loosen it up and move the housing so it's facing the pan.

Where should I tap this!?!

Here are a few from before the swap....

Last edited by terry11; 03-28-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM

Vacuum line for the wastegate should be coming from the compressor housing.

There should be no electrical connection for a wastegate? I'm still confused on this.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think he means the boost solenoid for the SC
Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 PM

He probably doesnt have a fitting on the compressor housing for his wastegate line so its off his intake mani same difference
Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stiner
He probably doesnt have a fitting on the compressor housing for his wastegate line so its off his intake mani same difference
It's to far away from turbo housing to create accurate boost and will also cause boost spiking.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:29 PM

It's to far away from turbo housing to create accurate boost and will also cause boost spiking.

It may. ofcourse Ideally you would want the line to the wastegate to be pre TB but many people run them off there intake mani without issue. Either way I'm sure its not his problem
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Yes I was talking about the solenoid for the sc... the thing everybody does the boost bypass mod with. If i leave that plugged in i get no codes for it or any evap system leak codes.
My turbo does not have a vacuum fitting on the compressor side so i was jut going to add an 1/8 '' npt vacuum port to the hot side piping or right on the turbo housing itself where the air comes out since there is plenty of material there to get alot of threads in it.
It pulls so hard when the boost finally hits I just need to find out where that leak is so I can spoool!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the manifold looks great!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Got any logs?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
the manifold looks great!
Thanks man! I'm realllly happy with it The one bolt hole for the TB was stripped and the pressure sensor one but I made it work.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 PM

With my mustang twin turbo setup the oil drain had to be introduced higher than oil level in the pan for proper drainage.
Would the turbo drain effectively with the setup he has???
Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Got any logs?
From the tuning?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 PM

Yes from tuning.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Put name here
With my mustang twin turbo setup the oil drain had to be introduced higher than oil level in the pan for proper drainage.
Would the turbo drain effectively with the setup he has???
You are exactly right that's what I'm going to do. It's still gonna be an issue for me with how low I have the turbo mounted...

Yes from tuning.
My friend scott has them. We will be tuning again this week but after i find the exhaust leak and I get the right spring in my blow off valve. I keep blowing charge piping because the bov wouldn't open. Now it opens under boost so I have to find a happy medium. We're going to tune the 80's this week do you want to see some?

Last edited by terry11; 03-28-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 PM

What BOV do you have? Call manufacture to get the right spring. Some come with extra springs already packaged.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Tial 50mm

The one i got from boostfreak on here had a bad diaphram and it just blew air out the top all the time, but I got another one from a friend that had one he couldn't use because they can't be recirculated.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Tial 50mm

The one i got from boostfreak on here had a bad diaphram and it just blew air out the top all the time, but I got another one from a friend that had one he couldn't use because they can't be recirculated.
Call Tial for a softer spring, or your local speed shop. My buddy had to run the lowest psi spring in his Cobalt.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM

Couldn't I just cut my spring in small increments?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM

ghetto rig, this aint a honda bud, just listen to slow swap and buy the spring
Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 PM

It's not just about pressure, but it has to do with installed height.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Frew
ghetto rig, this aint a honda bud, just listen to slow swap and buy the spring
This ain't a honda? I'm sorry I guess I didn't know boost pressure was different from Honda to Chevy... my bad lol I am listening to him it was just a question. If it was something I could do for now until the right spring came in I would do it. geesh

Quick Reply: Turbo build done. Some problems, Pictures soon!