2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Turbo Converts

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Turbo Converts

I have a question or two on different styles of converting that I couldn't find much or detailed enough info on. I'm seriously contemplating a turbo swap and just want to make sure I know all of the little BS pain in the asses before I jump off the deep end and get in over my head with it.

1. If I were to use the stock IC system until I ran air to air, I'm thinking about doing 2 things:
- Using the S/C and intake manifold as the turbo IM, taking the rotors out of it and opening the boost bypass, thus enabling me to do this all without fooling with the alternator and new belt.
- Getting the S/C delete kit and doing w/e needs done with the alternator and belt still using the stock IC system until I can afford a turbo IM and go air to air.

2. If anyone would be willing to share what all the little BS things that you need to do to make the setup work that would also be appreciated. I'm unsure what all needs to be done between air to liquid IC turbo setups and air to air turbo setups and the little things like that. I know I was reading a thead and the individual said he had to tap something with the water system? Stuff like that I don't want to find out when I have the enigne apart putting stuff on . So anyone who's using or has used the aforementioned succesfully it'd be cool to know what all was needed.

3. Last but not least. What all charge piping needs to be run with the aforementioned setups? I know turbo cold side to intake manifold obvoiusly, but it's the other one that I'm stuck at. Would I even need another charge pipe with the air to liquid? Help? lol.

Thanks in advance guys .
Old 04-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21
I have a question or two on different styles of converting that I couldn't find much or detailed enough info on. I'm seriously contemplating a turbo swap and just want to make sure I know all of the little BS pain in the asses before I jump off the deep end and get in over my head with it.

1. If I were to use the stock IC system until I ran air to air, I'm thinking about doing 2 things:
- Using the S/C and intake manifold as the turbo IM, taking the rotors out of it and opening the boost bypass, thus enabling me to do this all without fooling with the alternator and new belt.
- Getting the S/C delete kit and doing w/e needs done with the alternator and belt still using the stock IC system until I can afford a turbo IM and go air to air.

2. If anyone would be willing to share what all the little BS things that you need to do to make the setup work that would also be appreciated. I'm unsure what all needs to be done between air to liquid IC turbo setups and air to air turbo setups and the little things like that. I know I was reading a thead and the individual said he had to tap something with the water system? Stuff like that I don't want to find out when I have the enigne apart putting stuff on . So anyone who's using or has used the aforementioned succesfully it'd be cool to know what all was needed.

3. Last but not least. What all charge piping needs to be run with the aforementioned setups? I know turbo cold side to intake manifold obvoiusly, but it's the other one that I'm stuck at. Would I even need another charge pipe with the air to liquid? Help? lol.

Thanks in advance guys .
pm'd.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM

It would probably be better for you in the long run if you just buy a TC
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T

...or he could spend less money on a car that doesn't have a tranny nanny, which he already owns, and make more power...
Old 04-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Wrongo.

Originally Posted by red06SC

...or he could spend less money on a car that doesn't have a tranny nanny, which he already owns, and make more power...
Righto.

Last edited by ShortStack; 04-19-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2009, 04:01 PM

says the guy who did the same thing to his mp5
Old 04-19-2009, 04:06 PM

^^ Thats funny because i have a mp5 sitting in my driveway with a blown engine... lol..
Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM

If we wanted to waste money we would.

Just like to say that i'm a hundred dollars under budget when it came to selling my LSJ/Tranny/ECU and doing the LE5/Auto/Turbo swap.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
says the guy who did the same thing to his mp5
Dude, it's a Full time job, modding a car. I love it, but it's not for everyone. I was offering a genuine solution.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:40 PM

i am thinkin about going turbo. I am looking at getting the Hahn turbo system, but not sure exactly where to start, i was thinking about gettin the supercharger taken off for now and selling it and putting that money towards the kit, but from how its looking with my clutch going out and everything, its going to be a while before i can get it, so just wondering what others did who switched to turbo?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by danielincobalt
i am thinkin about going turbo. I am looking at getting the Hahn turbo system, but not sure exactly where to start, i was thinking about gettin the supercharger taken off for now and selling it and putting that money towards the kit, but from how its looking with my clutch going out and everything, its going to be a while before i can get it, so just wondering what others did who switched to turbo?
Hahn's kit is overpriced. Build your own and save a lot.

Ebay Turbo manifold - 190
T3/T4 turbo - 600
60lb injectors - 150
FMIC and piping kit from ebay - 125
Oil and coolant line kit - 100
Tuning - 200
Custom downpipe - 200
2.4L alternator and manifold - 100

Rough estimate : 1665.00

Now if you can do the work yourself you'll save a lot of money. Paying someone else to do it will add to that total.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

I don't have a cobalt I spent about 12k for my car itself after taxes tags and a 4yr waranty. If I wanted a TC i'd get one but I can turbo for around 2k for a basic kit and upgrade parts here and there, build my engine completly, and still be under the cost of a tc. Besides that fact, there's nothing like seeing the look on someones face when they get railed by a hunk of tupperware.

Thanks for the pm short replied. .
Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Dude, it's a Full time job, modding a car. I love it, but it's not for everyone. I was offering a genuine solution.
man bad ass mp5 one of those was my first car we still have it at home but its my dads now..

..sorry for stealing the thread just a lil.

but to the op man if u do turbo that sucker let me know how it goes. my boi has a ion redline too and wanted to turbo it but not sure yet
Old 04-19-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by rico
man bad ass mp5 one of those was my first car we still have it at home but its my dads now..

..sorry for stealing the thread just a lil.

Thanks and the rims and drop look awesome.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM

thx. i wish i would of never gotten rid of it. i want it bak so bad and then turbo it lol but too late for that now
Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

GTFO OF MY THREAD ********.

jk rofl I have a soft spot for mazdas my first car was a protege actually and when i was upgrading to a boosted car i was considering a mazdaspeed protege too. only thing was they were more expensive than the RL and less hp. put an exhaust and bigger turbo in and they actually will "zoom zoom" though rofl.

Pic of my old pro. I wanted to turbo it but it was an auto and those auto trannies fail under boost. the engines in them can take a beating tho haha.

I'm planning on going 2.8 and 60's here in the near future and if that doesn't scratch my itch then turbo parts will start making their way onto my dresser. I'm 75% sure that turbo is where it will end up tho.

Edit. and holy **** mundy 2.1klbs and turbo. whats that thing run. lol @ jacking my own thread.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the original poster....

Don't gut your SC you would be better off with a dlete kit and a 2.2 alternator. That being said, for the price of an SC delete kit you can get a brand new SAAB LK9 intake manifold and with a little dremmel action make it fit perfectly.

I went with the delete kit and then to the lk9 manifold and I would recommend everyone to stay away from using the stock manifold.

When you change intake manifolds you have to think about intercooling. I used the existing water to air setup and added a water to air intercooler but most people just take it out entirely and run air to air plumbing.

I bet there are 20 threads with info for you on them that you need.

Originally Posted by 2MCHBoost

2.4L alternator and manifold - 100
It doesn't work well. It is a lot harder to bolt up than everyone thinks.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

The thing is though that I've spent a good bit on my cooling and liquid to air is supposedly better (this is all opinion I know) but with the mods I've done it should be running pretty damn cold, well below ambient and maybe within 10 deg when running for awhile, much lower than a s/c would ever get.
how does the lk9 mani work with the liquid to air? they don't have laminova ports and everything...do they?
I guess I'll look into the s/c delete kit more..

What exhaust headers are you guys using? I was looking at the zzp but saw someone saying theirs cracked first time it got hot. yikes. I'm now looking at the one for 325 on ottps site...
Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can add a water to air intercooler like you would an air to air.

If you plan on making any real power, the lsj intake manifold is going to choke you up.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 AM

ill be doing the same thing in a few weeks
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21

get a different mani and go air to air. Stock laminova cores won;t support the cooling you need for high hp. Go with a 2.2 tensioner and mod the alternator, if you use the stock ic system in the beginning run low boost

pm me on that

you need piping regardless to get from the turbo to the throttle body. drop the air/water setup get a good fmic and you will be in good shape
Thanks in advance guys .
there ya go
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
there ya go
Thanks paul. After seeing some timing tables from a certain someone and seeing what it can do however I think that I'm going to see where the s/c can take me. 24deg of timing and 260tq at 3k rpms seems pretty enticing lol. Might as well give it a shot before I decide to go ***** out and start buying turbo parts I guess. I'll be getting stock compression diamond pistons most likely so that either way s/c or turbo I'll still have a pretty good compression ratio and not one way or the other on them.
If that doesn't take me where I want to go however the turbo will be indefinite.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM

properly sized turbo you'll be seeing more tq at that rpm and be able to run a really aggressive timing table. I can't say how much, but I saw something yesterday that blew my mind
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
properly sized turbo you'll be seeing more tq at that rpm and be able to run a really aggressive timing table. I can't say how much, but I saw something yesterday that blew my mind
Yeah I def believe you thing is to get to that it'll take more money than it will s/c.
Don't get me wrong turbo may be the very end picture, I've watched ur vids lol, your car is the sex and it'd be sweet to have that. I just feel like I need to discover what all the s/c has to offer first before I decide it's not for me ya know
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 AM

not a bad idea then man, I would highly recommend doing some serious cooling mods then. you can make close to 300whp pretty easily

Quick Reply: Turbo Converts