Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Well...I think I'm done (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/well-i-think-im-done-31228/)

CbYellowSS 09-06-2006 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rambo
How does that make ANY sense??

it makes sense to me :lock: :lock: :lock:

HellHound 09-06-2006 09:09 AM

I have not had any problems what so ever and I have only ever driven GM's. It sounds to me like you don't know how to take care of a vehicle. Maybee you should buy a Honda

unkillsam 09-06-2006 09:47 AM

Why don't you do a 2.4 turbo swap in your Cobalt and then complain about how slow it is?

rambo 09-06-2006 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by CbYellowSS
it makes sense to me :lock: :lock: :lock:

That's not saying a lot since you thought that it was special that the Cobalt could make more than 1000hp and run lower than 10s:spam:

IMADreamer 09-06-2006 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by savior
if you really want a good car get a ferrari.. otherwise stop complaining

ACTUALLY, Ferraris are quite poor in the reliability catagory. The last three V8 Ferraris (the 355, 360, 430) have been better but still not perfect or even good for that matter. No high po low production car is going to be. That's the name of the game.

As for the guy getting rid of his Cobalt, bye!

Fueledpassion 09-06-2006 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
dude i think you got a car that had a couple glitches(happens sometimes) and i think you drove the shit out of it and made it worse. i have never heard of someone on here having so many problems like you did. the paint doesnt peel unless you are completely careless when you reach for the buttons, any car would peel in that case. so you had a honda that could run great times. hondas are cheap as shit to modify and you also had A SWAP IN IT!!!!!! and of course you didnt take it to the dealer for anything, it didnt even have the stock engine or suspension. YOU COULDNT GET A WARRANTY! im sure you just repaired stuff youself. as for the "rough ride", you must be used to riding in a benz cause these are pretty damn smooth.
anyway if you had a problem with the car, then just say that and dont sit and here and pick the car apart like its a piece of shit when youre on a site where everyone loves the car. from your peeling paint to your shitty gas mileage, fact is, you just didnt treat this car like you should have.

Honda's aren't cheap to modify. I don't care what you say--> I have one, so there's my point of authority. And I'm currently rebuilding the motor, there's nothing cheap about it. Mine will cost $6K to rebuild and turbocharge, doing most of the work myself, other than machine work and tuning. This will be a low 12 second setup no doubt, and very reliable, but NOT cheap. Also, this doesn't include the $3500 I spent on the ragged out swap. This includes no suspension work, racing wheels, tires, or even the 3 inch exhaust for that matter. Racing seats, roll cages, and other work has still yet to be considered. For a reliable setup, it will cost be $10k easily for everything...that's not cheap.

charged_sunfire 09-06-2006 10:53 AM

sounds like you just got a dud. why not trade in your ss/sc for another one and see if you have better luck since you wont be paying anymore cash then you are now i wouldnt think. hell, ive had my sunfire since 2004 and it had 32k (73k now) on it and i think the only problem ive had was the TPS going bad a year or so ago, now its rebuilt but thats what happens when 250whp meets stock internals on this car.

Vmango 09-06-2006 11:12 AM

The SS/SC certainly isn't a Benz, it does have its quality issues. But, for the price, I think it's a fucking steal. Anyway, mine runs beautifully and is well-built. I'm sorry to hear you've had problems. I waited 'till 07 just so some of the bugs would have been worked out. Thus far, it seems they have.

Cheers.

1BADSS/SC 09-06-2006 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Above6k
I think the time has come for me to trade my SS/SC in for something I can actually do something with.

I leased my 06 SS/SC when they first came came out and have since put almost 18000 miles on it as a daily driver. My dad works for GM and when I needed a new car quick I got suckered into trying a GM car once more. Well, this will be the last one I will ever own sorry to say.

I don't know what kind of experience any of you guys have had with other types of cars, but i've driven pretty much all of them. (BMW, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Mazda, you name it) Chevy has done nothing my whole life besides dissapoint me with just about every product they've put out. Don't get me wrong, I think GM has made leaps and bounds compared to where it was even 5 years ago, but they always seem a step behind the competition.

This Cobalt just can't and won't do what I need it to do. A daily driver that I have to take into the dealer (usually a rude one) every three weeks just doesn't cut it for me. I honestly, thought this thing would be comprable to a SRT-4, but it really can't even hold a candle to my 97 Civic with a swap. That's with a Stage II kit, tune, and 2.8 pulley. Not to mention, in the 6 years I owned my Civic it was at the dealer only once for a broken window regulator. Which was my own fault BTW.

It just takes too much for these cars to do anything. My Civic did 13.20's all day long on street tires, all motor. The Cobalt has never bested 13.74. My kidney's hurt after a bone-jarring ride in the Cobalt, my Civic had a set of Tokico's and stiff springs and still was more tolerable. Then again, it also had double-wishbone on all four corners. The paint on the interior peels like a damn banana just from looking at it, i've ruined my second cat I just found out, wiring gremlins, thrashy engine, notchy shifter, and not to mention more clutch woes than I care to remember. Oh, and let's not forget some of the worst gas mileage I've ever had out of a 4 cyl. (NO, not from the cat being bad, just in general)

So the way I look at it is this. If I should have to sacrifice all my creature comforts..fine.
But give me a balls out racer then. By no means should the problems this car has appear on a daily driver that puts out a modest amount of power. I'm just tired of it. I'm going to the dealer in a couple of days to have the last of the problems corrected. Squeeking fan motor, paint peeling on interior pieces, bad cat, and one dealer fuck-up in which they nicked my side armrest.

I'll be trading in early and probobly buying the shittiest GM car I can think of just to get out of this lease. Something like a Aveo maybe. The extra loot I save and next years return will go to something like 1st gen Talon or Eclipse, where if I have to have few creature comforts, at least it will be while making a 10 second pass at the strip.

I really did just want a nice, quick daily driver from this car. Never expected 10's or anything. Low 13's and none of the constant problems would have been accepetable. I know this car can hit low 13's, but none of you can tell me there hasn't been major issues with this platform. At least with mine anyway. There has just been too much to even list, and the thought of it right now even makes me sick. Sorry GM, you guys lost one for life.

The paint peeling is a defect and u can get fixed. The bad cat, I dont know what the deal is with that ?? And you have stage 2 with 2.8"? You are easily into the low 13's. With stage 2 and my upgrades listed I killed plenty of mid 13 cars. I dont know if its your driving or maybe the car, but with your setup it should be possible to get low 13's easy...

Fueledpassion 09-06-2006 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
The paint peeling is a defect and u can get fixed. The bad cat, I dont know what the deal is with that ?? And you have stage 2 with 2.8"? You are easily into the low 13's. With stage 2 and my upgrades listed I killed plenty of mid 13 cars. I dont know if its your driving or maybe the car, but with your setup it should be possible to get low 13's easy...

That's not necessarily so. You gotta understand that drag racing is no easy task. The car might have potential to run low 13's, but that still doesn't negate his point. Unless you are very skilled at driving high torque'd FWD cars, there's nothing easy about making them run fast times. If your referring to roll on's, those are different. The Balt pulls hard when traction is not an issue. But I'm sure he's pullin off 1.7 and 1.6 60' times with the Honda, which is much easier to him, and probably what he is accustomed to. And I also don't see how dropping .2" on the pulley will allow him to run low 13's when there are a number of fellas in here with stage 2 that are having trouble breaking into 13's. I would think damn near 280whp and some really, really good street tires would bring you low, low 13's. And assuming the driver doesn't make a mistake.

cashstacker 09-06-2006 01:05 PM

I also plan to sell my car once the warranty is up. I'll hopefully get into a t/a or camaro ss. This car has gone to the dealer once a month since I've bought it.

Mike06cobalt 09-06-2006 01:19 PM

Stick with american at least, or euro at worst plz:usa:

CTCOBALTSSS 09-06-2006 01:40 PM

It sounds like you got stuck with a

http://www.greentales.com/files/lemon.jpg

Sorry to hear that!

1BADSS/SC 09-06-2006 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fueledpassion
That's not necessarily so. You gotta understand that drag racing is no easy task. The car might have potential to run low 13's, but that still doesn't negate his point. Unless you are very skilled at driving high torque'd FWD cars, there's nothing easy about making them run fast times. If your referring to roll on's, those are different. The Balt pulls hard when traction is not an issue. But I'm sure he's pullin off 1.7 and 1.6 60' times with the Honda, which is much easier to him, and probably what he is accustomed to. And I also don't see how dropping .2" on the pulley will allow him to run low 13's when there are a number of fellas in here with stage 2 that are having trouble breaking into 13's. I would think damn near 280whp and some really, really good street tires would bring you low, low 13's. And assuming the driver doesn't make a mistake.

I agree with you on that. I got a buddy who runs 12's in his 5.0l mustang and we did a 1/4mi run. I managed to stick maybe 1/2 a car length from his bumper with my current setup. This was before boost bypass, and the 2.8". I gotta rematch him to see what I can do now.

Fueledpassion 09-06-2006 03:32 PM

I agree with you on that. I got a buddy who runs 12's in his 5.0l mustang and we did a 1/4mi run. I managed to stick maybe 1/2 a car length from his bumper with my current setup. This was before boost bypass, and the 2.8". I gotta rematch him to see what I can do now.

A few questions I have:

1) What has been done to that 5.0? 12's is mighty fast for an NA 5.0, IMO.

2) Your adding at best 60 CHP with those mods being CAI, Stage 2, and a decent amount of traction with the stiffy, but most likely nothing better than 2.0 60' times. So you have give or take 260hp, maybe 230-235whp, with stock tires and wheels. (I'm trying to imagine your setup) Now I already know that my Honda, which sits at 2500lbs, cannot do anything better than high, high 12's with 230whp on street tires. Here I am thinking about your setup, and trying to feasibly imagine you hanging with a 12 second Mustang with only Stage 2, CAI, and Ingalls Stiffy. Even if the Mustang were a high 12 sec. car, it should still put several car lengths on you, and probably beat you only respectfully in a roll on, since Mustangs aren't known for top end acceleration.

So now you have a 2.8" pulley, which reasonably will add 15hp at most, since the M62 blower is not very efficient at higher boost levels. Well, even with a good tune, I couldn't imagine you puttin down more than 250whp, which I still think is not enough power to push you into 12's. To see 12's, I'd think 2.6" pulley, 3inch exhaust and header, and HP Tuners along with DR's. I could believe this alot easier then.

By no means do I mean to start fights. I've never heard of anyone else breaking 12's or even coming close with so little mods. Inform me if I'm missing something. I could be totally wrong, and I'm open to criticism.

8cd03gro 09-06-2006 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by CbYellowSS
first of all if u could have stepped into a srt-4 for 6 grand less 2 questions come to mind

1. how much were u getting jipped for your car
2. or how crappy was the srt u were looking at

cobalts run around 23 grand with no interest and srt-4 at about the time u bought ur cobalt would have ran around 20

23-20=3 did i add wrong??? that doesnt add up to 6 id pay 3 more grand for a brand new car that if anything goes wrong its either mine or the dealerships fault..

srt-4's came out in 03...at the time he bought his balt they would actually have been going for around 17,500 with some haggling and used they could easily be bought for 15k. I was actually looking to buy one for a while, but the interior blew dick so i decided against it.

8cd03gro 09-06-2006 06:34 PM

wait....did you just say you ran a 12 sec 5.0 basically stock and he didnt even pull a car on you? that's total bull, he'd be 3-4 cars at least. one second in the quarter mile is ALOT.

to the guy above me- 5.0's can put down massive power for very little money. Thats why they are one of the cars of choice for dragging. You can get heads, cams, stroker kit, all supporting mods etc. for just over 4k if you shop right and at that point you can put down damn near if not more than 400 horses.

UnstableSS 09-06-2006 08:49 PM

"That's with a Stage II kit, tune, and 2.8 pulley....The Cobalt has never bested 13.74...bone-jarring ride in the Cobalt" Dont beat on it and not moded? whos missing he brains?

1BADSS/SC 09-07-2006 11:24 AM

Im not exactly sure what he has for performance, but I did remeber him mentioning gears. In fact last I heard he screwed up his drivetrain cuz the gears were setup for drag racing. I was amazed at how fast it was na.

Just so everyone knows, my setup was as follows:

Stage 2
AEM CAI
Ingalls
ZZP Engine mount

Maybe he was running crappy that night, but either way he goes to the track all the time and is a mechanic. Hes been a gear head since he was young and has a twin turbo grand national that runs 10's. I know hes not bsin, and like I said he was VERY fast NA.

I dont see it being hard to run mid-low 13's with this setup. Ive seen guys run mid 13's with little mods. Look at tofu, he ran a 13.6 with a cai, 3" pulley, and an engine mount.

Not only does the stage 2 kit produce more power than just a 3" pulley, but I had both the engine mount, and the torque dampener working to aleviate traction problems.

Our cars have the ability, its just the traction thats a problem. We all know that FWD sucks big balls for drag application in comparison to RWD and AWD.

charged_sunfire 09-07-2006 02:30 PM

i know that the gm flashes do pull a good bit of timing so is it possible that stage 2 has done that as well as opposed to the stock ecu flash because of tofu running 13.60's with next to nothing done on the stock flash?

rambo 09-07-2006 03:31 PM

Im not exactly sure what he has for performance, but I did remeber him mentioning gears. In fact last I heard he screwed up his drivetrain cuz the gears were setup for drag racing. I was amazed at how fast it was na.

Just so everyone knows, my setup was as follows:

Stage 2
AEM CAI
Ingalls
ZZP Engine mount

Maybe he was running crappy that night, but either way he goes to the track all the time and is a mechanic. Hes been a gear head since he was young and has a twin turbo grand national that runs 10's. I know hes not bsin, and like I said he was VERY fast NA.

I dont see it being hard to run mid-low 13's with this setup. Ive seen guys run mid 13's with little mods. Look at tofu, he ran a 13.6 with a cai, 3" pulley, and an engine mount.

Not only does the stage 2 kit produce more power than just a 3" pulley, but I had both the engine mount, and the torque dampener working to aleviate traction problems.

Our cars have the ability, its just the traction thats a problem. We all know that FWD sucks big balls for drag application in comparison to RWD and AWD.

Tofu ran at one of the best tracks, if not the best track in the country. So you can not use him as an example.

Asstyme 09-08-2006 04:12 AM

Hrmmm....... I LOVE my car :)

sealy 09-08-2006 04:39 AM

mines great....

bye and good luck with the new non gm car!

1BADSS/SC 09-08-2006 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by rambo
Tofu ran at one of the best tracks, if not the best track in the country. So you can not use him as an example.

the banned guy is arguing again :rolleyes: . What do you own rambo? If you dont have a cobalt then why are you on here trolling around?

let me ask you something slick, if we "cant" run mid 13's with his mods, why did he? You can use any excuse you want, but what you just said is not true. If someone ran 13.6 with little mods, then other people should be able to run mid 13's, considering WE ALL OWN THE SAME CAR!!

some people are better than others at launching, and that is what matters most. Perfect launches in the SS/SC= great 1/4mi times, period.

stg2cobalt 09-08-2006 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty Art
Some of these people kill me. The car gets excellent gas milage. If you shift at 5K or 6K rpms everytime of course you're going to get shitty milage. If I keep the tach below 3K I get 27mpg with a combo of city and highway driving. That is directly comparable with the new Civic Si and the SRT-4. I know for a fact because I have friends that own both.

my gf si gets better mpg than mine