2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Well...I think I'm done

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...I think I'm done

I think the time has come for me to trade my SS/SC in for something I can actually do something with.

I leased my 06 SS/SC when they first came came out and have since put almost 18000 miles on it as a daily driver. My dad works for GM and when I needed a new car quick I got suckered into trying a GM car once more. Well, this will be the last one I will ever own sorry to say.

I don't know what kind of experience any of you guys have had with other types of cars, but i've driven pretty much all of them. (BMW, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Mazda, you name it) Chevy has done nothing my whole life besides dissapoint me with just about every product they've put out. Don't get me wrong, I think GM has made leaps and bounds compared to where it was even 5 years ago, but they always seem a step behind the competition.

This Cobalt just can't and won't do what I need it to do. A daily driver that I have to take into the dealer (usually a rude one) every three weeks just doesn't cut it for me. I honestly, thought this thing would be comprable to a SRT-4, but it really can't even hold a candle to my 97 Civic with a swap. That's with a Stage II kit, tune, and 2.8 pulley. Not to mention, in the 6 years I owned my Civic it was at the dealer only once for a broken window regulator. Which was my own fault BTW.

It just takes too much for these cars to do anything. My Civic did 13.20's all day long on street tires, all motor. The Cobalt has never bested 13.74. My kidney's hurt after a bone-jarring ride in the Cobalt, my Civic had a set of Tokico's and stiff springs and still was more tolerable. Then again, it also had double-wishbone on all four corners. The paint on the interior peels like a damn banana just from looking at it, i've ruined my second cat I just found out, wiring gremlins, thrashy engine, notchy shifter, and not to mention more clutch woes than I care to remember. Oh, and let's not forget some of the worst gas mileage I've ever had out of a 4 cyl. (NO, not from the cat being bad, just in general)

So the way I look at it is this. If I should have to sacrifice all my creature comforts..fine.
But give me a ***** out racer then. By no means should the problems this car has appear on a daily driver that puts out a modest amount of power. I'm just tired of it. I'm going to the dealer in a couple of days to have the last of the problems corrected. Squeeking fan motor, paint peeling on interior pieces, bad cat, and one dealer ****-up in which they nicked my side armrest.

I'll be trading in early and probobly buying the shittiest GM car I can think of just to get out of this lease. Something like a Aveo maybe. The extra loot I save and next years return will go to something like 1st gen Talon or Eclipse, where if I have to have few creature comforts, at least it will be while making a 10 second pass at the strip.

I really did just want a nice, quick daily driver from this car. Never expected 10's or anything. Low 13's and none of the constant problems would have been accepetable. I know this car can hit low 13's, but none of you can tell me there hasn't been major issues with this platform. At least with mine anyway. There has just been too much to even list, and the thought of it right now even makes me sick. Sorry GM, you guys lost one for life.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:52 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Old 09-05-2006, 04:58 PM

lol a 1g DSM good luck...........when one thing breaks on them they all do. From experience stay away unless you a very mechanically inclined.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:02 PM

GM rules!! and u had a bad experience man we dont all have that
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM

I haven't had any problems with mine. I love every second I drive my supercharged balt around. It gets the attention.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you just got a shitty car... lots of people have never had problems...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:23 PM

That sucks man... Sorry to hear. My car is great. I own both a 1G and an SS. Dude the SS blows it outta the water when it come to comfort and drivablilty over a DSM, granted you wont make the power of a DSM but my Cobalt hasnt had one problem. Trust me I know. I think u got a shitrag SS man. If I were you I would try out a new Civic Si or find a used Type S. It sounds like your savy. If your already a honda guy.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Above6k
I really did just want a nice, quick daily driver from this car. Never expected 10's or anything. Low 13's and none of the constant problems would have been accepetable. I know this car can hit low 13's, but none of you can tell me there hasn't been major issues with this platform. At least with mine anyway. There has just been too much to even list, and the thought of it right now even makes me sick. Sorry GM, you guys lost one for life.
Then why did you get the car then? GM never claimed anything else. If you wanted just a plain go fast car in this price range then you should have gotten an SRT-4. And that's about it. This car is a bargain for everything that comes with it, flat out.

There are other cars that are faster and more than likely nicer but that all cost about 5 grand just for the starting price. So if you dont like it thats fine just don't be stupid an expect a car that was advertised at 200hp for about 21,000 to blow your top off and then come on to a board of Cobalt enthusaists and bitch about it looking for some type of back up.

Peace be with you.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

driver slash mechanic
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 PM

Id trade in for the new civic si!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with the bodykit from the dealer...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 PM

It sucks, I guess sometimes people just get cars that were made on Friday. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and hope you have better luck with your next car.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Skitz
Then why did you get the car then? GM never claimed anything else. If you wanted just a plain go fast car in this price range then you should have gotten an SRT-4. And that's about it. This car is a bargain for everything that comes with it, flat out.

There are other cars that are faster and more than likely nicer but that all cost about 5 grand just for the starting price. So if you dont like it thats fine just don't be stupid an expect a car that was advertised at 200hp for about 21,000 to blow your top off and then come on to a board of Cobalt enthusaists and bitch about it looking for some type of back up.

Peace be with you.
Easy there son, I could've stepped into a slightly used SRT-4 for about 6 grand less. My point was I've had WAY too many problems with this car for what it is. Having driven my fair share of nine and ten second cars I never expected my Cobalt to be just that with 200 horsepower. But what good does all the power in the world do me if my car just can't seem to run with it? Maybe I got a lemon, really couldn't care less at this point. Fact stands, compared to ever other quick car i've driven, this thing has retained none of it's civility/reliabilty.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:07 PM

dude i think you got a car that had a couple glitches(happens sometimes) and i think you drove the **** out of it and made it worse. i have never heard of someone on here having so many problems like you did. the paint doesnt peel unless you are completely careless when you reach for the buttons, any car would peel in that case. so you had a honda that could run great times. hondas are cheap as **** to modify and you also had A SWAP IN IT!!!!!! and of course you didnt take it to the dealer for anything, it didnt even have the stock engine or suspension. YOU COULDNT GET A WARRANTY! im sure you just repaired stuff youself. as for the "rough ride", you must be used to riding in a benz cause these are pretty damn smooth.
anyway if you had a problem with the car, then just say that and dont sit and here and pick the car apart like its a piece of **** when youre on a site where everyone loves the car. from your peeling paint to your shitty gas mileage, fact is, you just didnt treat this car like you should have.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:13 PM

maybe you ragged on your car too hard. I haven't had any problems with mine! and if the interior paint ships that is suppossed to be covered under warranty. for some reason though you dont sound like you actually cared about your car so that probably had a big part to do with it having troubles.

good luck with finding a DSM that doesn't break down.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:16 PM

oh yeah shitty gas mileage.

I recently took a trip home to Kentucky from North carolina so I think it was 670 miles or somthign filled up when I left and once half way there. while getting 30-34 MPG. you're right that's pretty shitty gas mileage
Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM

Most unreliable car I've ever seen.

I have an 05 SS. Hands down, the most unreliable car I've ever driven. I have had the car for not quite 15 months and it has been in the dealership 21 times. It is there right now for 9 days waiting for a new CV joint. This car has been babied, never raced. When they took the front end apart to see what the problems are, they noticed that the bushings in the front end all had to be replaced and the brake pads had separated from the metal backing plate and they crumbled in the mechanic's hand. The CD player no longer works at all, the whole car rattles and shakes like a box of cereal. I have to agree with the earlier post as well. This car gets terrible gas mileage. It does go like a bat out of hell though and handles like a dream.....when it works. Oh, and the stock Pirellis wear terribly. It only just rolled over 30K kilometers and I'm trying to get out of this lease.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM

Some of these people kill me. The car gets excellent gas milage. If you shift at 5K or 6K rpms everytime of course you're going to get shitty milage. If I keep the tach below 3K I get 27mpg with a combo of city and highway driving. That is directly comparable with the new Civic Si and the SRT-4. I know for a fact because I have friends that own both.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Banned

uhhh you're running 13.20's on an all motor honda? with how much interior removed?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
uhhh you're running 13.20's on an all motor honda? with how much interior removed?
i was wondering how much money was dumped in to it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:05 PM

I'd never drive anything that wasn't GM. Sorry to hear that, because my experience has been the polar opposite of yours!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 PM

I'm with you I've driven a lot of different types of cars from old school muscle to euro hotness and I love my GM... it's can be dificult to get my service tech off her fat ass to look over some smalee issues I might have. but other than that it's outstanding.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by mi6
I'd never drive anything that wasn't GM. Sorry to hear that, because my experience has been the polar opposite of yours!
same here
Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 PM

some people are funny .. lets mod the car ..beat the crap outa it and complain when it breaks ... oh well
Old 09-05-2006, 09:01 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by UnstableSS
some people are funny .. lets mod the car ..beat the crap outa it and complain when it breaks ... oh well
Well my car better never have any problems after I replace all these parts and GM better warranty my race build and all the other after market parts. GM knew I would do this and they should have built my car accordingly.

I want to know where some of these guys work, just so I can buy something there because the warranties have to be awesome.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
dude i think you got a car that had a couple glitches(happens sometimes) and i think you drove the **** out of it and made it worse. i have never heard of someone on here having so many problems like you did. the paint doesnt peel unless you are completely careless when you reach for the buttons, any car would peel in that case. so you had a honda that could run great times. hondas are cheap as **** to modify and you also had A SWAP IN IT!!!!!! and of course you didnt take it to the dealer for anything, it didnt even have the stock engine or suspension. YOU COULDNT GET A WARRANTY! im sure you just repaired stuff youself. as for the "rough ride", you must be used to riding in a benz cause these are pretty damn smooth.
anyway if you had a problem with the car, then just say that and dont sit and here and pick the car apart like its a piece of **** when youre on a site where everyone loves the car. from your peeling paint to your shitty gas mileage, fact is, you just didnt treat this car like you should have.

ummmm dealer has to fix body stuff no matter what you do to the engine as long as the engine mods didn't cause it. You could swap a hemi into a honda crx and if the auto window button breaks...they have to fix it. that's the law.