2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Well I'm convinced..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
PM sent to u bro , after hearing that ...I think youll like what I came up with on my SS
Best sounding LSJ...hands down. I think I will be following your footsteps!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 AM

The 2.2 with a ceramic header back with an axle back split into dual 2.5"-in 3"-out sounds just a tad deeper than the stealth exhaust on those clips. If you want a deep sound, splitting the pipe and running duals will make sound deeper/fuller......most people on this site seem to be against duals if they're dual exit and not true duals though.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoomyjs
why do you think that turbo is better then super? basically what delivers speed the fastest? = supercharger. the moment you step on it the super kicks in and whines. after watching hundreds of street racing vids of SRT-4's ect.. the turbo kicks AFTER time where as the super is always ready to go = power on demand = awsome just keep adding more mods to your super and you'll be able to beat the turbos
Sorry but do you honestly know what you're talking about? If you're basing your knowledge of turbochargers from racing videos, than you need to find a better means of where you get your turbo knowledge from.

Fact is, if you have a turbocharger that is well matched to the motor, there is no delay or lag.

I suggest turning off the videos and do more reading.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Sorry but do you honestly know what you're talking about? If you're basing your knowledge of turbochargers from racing videos, than you need to find a better means of where you get your turbo knowledge from.

Fact is, if you have a turbocharger that is well matched to the motor, there is no delay or lag.

I suggest turning off the videos and do more reading.
oh common man. he is right.

a finely tuned turbo can spool really fast.... but the advantage of a supercharger is the instant power at the expense of losing overall power.

this is not the time to push your 'superior turbo knowledge'. he didnt come here claiming to know everything. he did say that a supercharger is better than a turbo, however. that was a bit blatent.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 AM

I think this whole thing of "Turbos are better" or "Superchargers are better" is stupid honestly. It's whatever floats your boat. It's like arguing what car is cooler or what exhaust sound better...it's worthless arguing or discussion cause everyone is going to have different opinions.

Now back to the orginal topic...

Those exhausts sound just like any exhaust out there...there is really nothing special about them. Exhausts are just piping with a resonator to deepen the sound and certain style muffler to alter the tone a bit. You guys see this "chrome appearing" exhaust system and hear a couple of clips of Golfs revving and it's like "wow! it's cause it has a turbo". If you want your supercharged vehicle to sound this way, alter it...it's not impossible to do.

Fact is that a turbocharger does muffle SOME of the sound from the exhaust. If you've ever heard a car with a turbo that is running open downpipe and then hear an n/a car that's running open header, you'll hear the difference in sound.

If any of you guys would really be ready to dish out $900 for a 3" exhaust system just cause it sounded "cool", sorry, but I find that kind of sad.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by ReMz
oh common man. he is right.

a finely tuned turbo can spool really fast.... but the advantage of a supercharger is the instant power at the expense of losing overall power.

this is not the time to push your 'superior turbo knowledge'. he didnt come here claiming to know everything. he did say that a supercharger is better than a turbo, however. that was a bit blatent.
I don't have SUPERIER TURBO KNOWLEDGE, I am just pointing out what he is wrong about. Claiming that turbochargers (in general at that) "kick" in after time. That is too general of a statement to say...that's why I said what I said. There are too many styles of turbos, compressor wheel sizes, turbine sizes and overall trims of turbos out there to say that. Heck, there are ball bearing turbos that would hit full boost of 11 PSI faster than a supercharger would.

Also let me say this...

If you can't take having a correction to your statement, than don't make a statement. I'm not out to make people look like idiots or trying to make myself look any better than others but simply trying to get him to understand where he is wrong at and maybe in the future he'll remember this.

As for you Remz, no one said he was claiming to be all knowledgle about anything but when you come on a forum and make a general statement like that, it should be corrected. I see too many times where people just say what they think and what is not true and no one attempts to correct them so in the future they spread the correct knowledge. I remember when I knew nothing about turbos and made the same remarks...I wish people would have corrected me then but I had to learn myself or with the help of friends while building my turbo setup.

I'm here to help, not put others down...
Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Zoomyjs
why do you think that turbo is better then super? basically what delivers speed the fastest? = supercharger. the moment you step on it the super kicks in and whines. after watching hundreds of street racing vids of SRT-4's ect.. the turbo kicks AFTER time where as the super is always ready to go = power on demand = awsome just keep adding more mods to your super and you'll be able to beat the turbos
I also agree with this being a rather bias statement. It all depends on what turbo you have matched to your car. Depending on your trim and A/R along with all the other factors that go into a turbo, you have have it come on strong right at first, or have it kick in at a higher RPM.

Its a statement like this that put the whole "turbos are bad" in the head of so many in my opinion. People are always bitching that "turbos lag" and blah blah blah. Bullshit, if you knew how to read compressor maps and build a turbo motor correctly then it wouldn't be a problem. Just most of the time its easier for people to bitch rather than learn about something new.

I've personally owned both supercharged and turbo cars. However my turbo vehicle wasn't piston powered (RX-7), which makes a difference with how fast the car spools the turbo. As far as lag with the stock turbo, it was minimal, if even existant. The car had full boost by 3200-3500. (12psi).

But yes, the whole, one is better than the other argument is stupid, and is just something thats going to go on until the end of time. We're all entitled to our own opinions. I just wish people would make more informed statements though....

As far as the exhaust system though. Im sure a header and full exhaust would make a difference in the tone and sound of the car. A high-flow cat. coupled with a pre-silencer would probably give the car a nice deep tone and remove some of the cackle.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by cds00bsmg
I also agree with this being a rather bias statement. It all depends on what turbo you have matched to your car. Depending on your trim and A/R along with all the other factors that go into a turbo, you have have it come on strong right at first, or have it kick in at a higher RPM.

Its a statement like this that put the whole "turbos are bad" in the head of so many in my opinion. People are always bitching that "turbos lag" and blah blah blah. Bullshit, if you knew how to read compressor maps and build a turbo motor correctly then it wouldn't be a problem. Just most of the time its easier for people to bitch rather than learn about something new.

I've personally owned both supercharged and turbo cars. However my turbo vehicle wasn't piston powered (RX-7), which makes a difference with how fast the car spools the turbo. As far as lag with the stock turbo, it was minimal, if even existant. The car had full boost by 3200-3500. (12psi).

But yes, the whole, one is better than the other argument is stupid, and is just something thats going to go on until the end of time. We're all entitled to our own opinions. I just wish people would make more informed statements though....

As far as the exhaust system though. Im sure a header and full exhaust would make a difference in the tone and sound of the car. A high-flow cat. coupled with a pre-silencer would probably give the car a nice deep tone and remove some of the cackle.
FINALLY! THANK YOU!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by FLCobalt
blow off valves sound better then supercharger whine too =(

I disagree. Most of my buddies drive turbo'ed VWs, they dont even use BOVs, most of em use those diverter belts, which do sound nice. Personally, with intake, I prefer the whine, I guess its all opinion though!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:55 PM

I think N20 is better cause you only use it for 10 seconds as oppose to every freakin second like a turbo or super.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by traviskearney
I think N20 is better cause you only use it for 10 seconds as oppose to every freakin second like a turbo or super.
So you'd rather be fast for 10 seconds 4-5 times and then have to pay money to be fast again?

Whatever floats your boat...
Old 05-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Also, you're not fast every freakin second (like you put it). When you drive moderately, the car moves moderately. It's not like you tap the pedal and you're at full boost...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 AM

I also forgot to add earlier, that with a standalone engine management system the timing of the vehicle can be altered (along with other features) to create what is termed "anti-lag" for turbocharged cars. That way you don't need to have the engine under load to build boost. That way when you launch your car your already at full boost immediately. OR, you can use nitrous to spool the turbo up before hand as well. Either way, your eliminating the whole LAG issue when it comes to a turbocharger.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:56 AM

So you'd rather be fast for 10 seconds 4-5 times and then have to pay money to be fast again?

Whatever floats your boat...
What in the world are you talking about? I can get 27 1/8 mile runs out of one bottle. My friend runs only a 55 shot and ran 39 1/8 mile passes on one bottle. That's using 10lbs-1.5lbs. To fill it up from 1.5lbs. is about $42. A turbo costs to buy and install about $2400. You can fill 57 bottles with that amount of money. So I guess if I spend the money one spends on a turbo, I could only spray 1539 times. I made about 45 1/8 mile passes all year last year. So I guess if I want to use N20 every run I could only run for 34.2 years.

Last edited by traviskearney; 05-12-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 AM

Also, you're not fast every freakin second (like you put it). When you drive moderately, the car moves moderately. It's not like you tap the pedal and you're at full boost...
No, you're not fast every second, which I never said, but you are forcing air into your engine every second. With N20 you only break up the air coming in, when you want. You can turn it COMPLETELY on or off. With the others, you're ALWAYS forcing air into your car.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:23 PM

What in the world are you talking about? I can get 27 1/8 mile runs out of one bottle. My friend runs only a 55 shot and ran 39 1/8 mile passes on one bottle. That's using 10lbs-1.5lbs. To fill it up from 1.5lbs. is about $42. A turbo costs to buy and install about $2400. You can fill 57 bottles with that amount of money. So I guess if I spend the money one spends on a turbo, I could only spray 1539 times. I made about 45 1/8 mile passes all year last year. So I guess if I want to use N20 every run I could only run for 34.2 years.
I was just giving an example, wasn't meant to be taken all that accurate. To each is own about nitrous and turbos/superchargers...I'm not gonna argue with you about it. Like I said before, whatever floats your boat.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:39 PM

it sounds pretty good..
Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 AM

I was just giving an example, wasn't meant to be taken all that accurate. To each is own about nitrous and turbos/superchargers...I'm not gonna argue with you about it. Like I said before, whatever floats your boat.
An example of what? You said you only get 4 or 5 runs out of a bottle then have to fill back up.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:21 AM

An example of what? You said you only get 4 or 5 runs out of a bottle then have to fill back up.
I didn't say you ONLY get 4 or 5 runs...it was an example. Shot sizes and bottle sizes changes the amount of runs you can go off one bottle. Also, you were doing 1/8 mile runs which isn't consisting as much nitrous as 1/4 mile passes, so yeah, you're going to use less each time.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by PauL500x
I think that 3" is too big for your exhaust. I dont know why but I read someone advising against it. I think it is because of backfire and what exactly is backfire?

it's because the engine is tuned for all the stock parts and while freeing up some flow in the exhaust will add power, freeing it up too much will take away too much back pressure and you would want to get it tuned.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:15 PM

for the whole sound argument thing...s/c whine vs bov. It shouldn't be bov, it should be turbo spool on a car with big boost. That sound is just amazing.

http://www.bolt.com/417supra/video/5...eo_large_PAGE1

here is an example...just to show you how fast that supra is...they were already doing around 85. lol listen to that huge turbo!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:19 PM

Gotta agree there , the blower whine is cool ....until you get a car that sounds like its literally gonna take flight and suck the pavement off the ground with it . To bad my pair of T3's on my camaro wont sound that good
Old 05-21-2006, 01:32 PM

that was amazing
Old 05-21-2006, 07:48 PM

haha i know my friend at school showed me that video in english class and i yelled holy ****...it was worth the trip to the dean.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:50 PM

I agree tha a turbo is good for four cylinder exhaust, but supercharger is better for four cylinder power!