2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

What is recommended next upgrade step?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by southal cobalt
if you turn your key to the on position and wait ten seconds, you should be able to hear the ic pump kick on and it hums. maybe even right when you turn on the car. that is all setup in your tune. for stock tunes, it takes 10 seconds.

and you can also watch the filler neck with the car on, if the coolant is making bubbles, then its running.
I dont think all cars are set up like that, i know my pump does not come on unless u turn on the car.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had jobs when i was in high school and made some money for all that stuff. now im a full time student year round, so 80 dollars means a bit more to me than just for a dual pass. and hp tuners was a birthday present a year ago.

i havent seen any knock yet. im commanding 18* up top. when i first got my car, i had no clue about any of this. i probably ran my car for 40 k miles without a working ic pump back in 07. lol and i know it will rob power. i will not dispute that. but really, how much power are we talking about??

are you in a lsj or a 2.4??
Hp tuners as a bday present nice. Never gotten anything worth more than maybe $200 bucks tops for my bday in my entire life. And don't ever suggest no cooling mods on a sc car again or I hope your d1ck may fall off.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i probably ran my car for 40 k miles without a working ic pump back in 07. lol and i know it will rob power. i will not dispute that. but really, how much power are we talking about

Op disregard everything this guy says please.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there have been ppl to make sum ok power without cooling mods ik ther was a thread bout it floatin sumwher but in all honesty do u wanna chance that..these cars heat up real quick so itd b in ur best interest to get a few cooling mods
Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Banned

and i wasnt trying to give out bad info. i just dont think we need to go so far as to say, cooling mods are totally necessary even at a 3 inch pulley or higher. my iat2 never saw over 140 on the 3 inch. some of these threads will make you feel like youll pop a few pistons running at 140*. i just dont see it. i may be wrong though
this is not about 3" pulley, me and slowline are talking about ur 2.8 but honestly im done trying to help u, i know u dont want the help and u think u know everything but iv been like that before and i was i had listen when people tried to help me.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Cooling mods will be had. By the end of summer I want ZZP S3(with dual pass endplate), ZZP 3" dp and 3" catback exhaust, and LS4 throttle body.

Then over the winter, Im looking at 2 options, either tvs and meth. Or the 2nd, because my car has a decent amount of miles on it is getting a Ecotec forged shortblock from ZZP with new internals
Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingpin2010
Cooling mods will be had. By the end of summer I want ZZP S3(with dual pass endplate), ZZP 3" dp and 3" catback exhaust, and LS4 throttle body.

Then over the winter, Im looking at 2 options, either tvs and meth. Or the 2nd, because my car has a decent amount of miles on it is getting a Ecotec forged shortblock from ZZP with new internals
u wont need a 3" catback a 2.5 is what u will want with a supercharged setup even alot of guys running good numbers on the TVS run 2.5, 3" is too big and its a power loss.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
u wont need a 3" catback a 2.5 is what u will want with a supercharged setup even alot of guys running good numbers on the TVS run 2.5, 3" is too big and its a power loss.
Thank you, I figured the bigger the better with exhaust.

Anyway, this mod big has got me bad. When I first bought the car last year, I had no intentions on mods. But then watching YouTube vids and thinking about it I got giddy and bought the CAI. Now I got a budget put together to really try to get a lot of mods.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingpin2010
Thank you, I figured the bigger the better with exhaust.

Anyway, this mod big has got me bad. When I first bought the car last year, I had no intentions on mods. But then watching YouTube vids and thinking about it I got giddy and bought the CAI. Now I got a budget put together to really try to get a lot of mods.
3" is for turbos, superchargers like to have a lil back pressure to make optimal power, I know someone on here can explain it much better then I would be able to but pretty much with the SC u dont want too much and u dont want too lil when it comes to back pressure.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 PM

3" is for turbos, superchargers like to have a lil back pressure to make optimal power, I know someone on here can explain it much better then I would be able to but pretty much with the SC u dont want too much and u dont want too lil when it comes to back pressure.
Now that I think about it, I remember reading somewhere that a SC runs best with some back pressure. Which would make sense why 2.5 is a better option.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM

thers prolly almost no difference in running a 2.5 or a 3"...mayb a couple hp if that but i could be proven wrong with a dyno sheet...i went with a 3" cuz i wanted all the flow i could get with my setup
Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 AM

you NEVER want back pressure no matter what you're running. There will always be some, but you want to do what you can to decrease it, not maintain it!

Back pressure is the resistance to flow....the ability to flow is the ability to make power

VERY generally speaking exhaust tuning moves your torque peak and your torque band around based on diameter and length changes. Using the 2.5 to 3.0 example, it may very well be that the 2.5 tube lowers your torque peak to a range appropriate for the rest of your engine combo, and that the 3.0 raises it to a point above your appropriate range. In turn then, people see torque drop at lower rpm and equate this to a loss, rather than just a move, and then draw the incorrect conclusion that the smaller tube increases power by causing resistance to flow.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wayfarer
you NEVER want back pressure no matter what you're running. There will always be some, but you want to do what you can to decrease it, not maintain it!

Back pressure is the resistance to flow....the ability to flow is the ability to make power

VERY generally speaking exhaust tuning moves your torque peak and your torque band around based on diameter and length changes. Using the 2.5 to 3.0 example, it may very well be that the 2.5 tube lowers your torque peak to a range appropriate for the rest of your engine combo, and that the 3.0 raises it to a point above your appropriate range. In turn then, people see torque drop at lower rpm and equate this to a loss, rather than just a move, and then draw the incorrect conclusion that the smaller tube increases power by causing resistance to flow.
they is proof on this forum that is untrue for the SC, its been proving that a 3" full exhaust flow too much and cause a loss of hp on the supercharger. I dont remember where it was posted otherwise iv post it already.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 AM

idt the loss of hp is really much to notice and it prolly depends on ur setup as well some u want to be able to breathe and others u want a little pressure...my car felt alot more responsive and felt lik it ran better when i opened it up to a 3"
Old 06-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carstedt
idt the loss of hp is really much to notice and it prolly depends on ur setup as well some u want to be able to breathe and others u want a little pressure...my car felt alot more responsive and felt lik it ran better when i opened it up to a 3"
Ur also e85 2.6 TVS, u prolly wont notice it as bad but on an m62 it will be more noticeable but even most of the TVS guys that are making the highest power have 2.5.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:12 AM

i opened mine to a 3" on a m62...but u may be right i would like to see a dyno or sumtin for my own refrence...most ppl also dont wanna go to a 3" because they think its to loud but its all in the setup on how the exhaust sounds as well
Old 06-08-2012, 12:40 PM

they is proof on this forum that is untrue for the SC, its been proving that a 3" full exhaust flow too much and cause a loss of hp on the supercharger. I dont remember where it was posted otherwise iv post it already.
wow! for all the real proof that is available, it floors me that some still believe in this ^^^^ voodoo crap over proven physical fact!

I didn't say the 3" wouldn't cause a power loss

I said the gain (or lack of loss?) from the 2.5 had NOTHING to do with backpressure
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Banned

wow! for all the real proof that is available, it floors me that some still believe in this ^^^^ voodoo crap over proven physical fact!

I didn't say the 3" wouldn't cause a power loss

I said the gain (or lack of loss?) from the 2.5 had NOTHING to do with backpressure
U have 2 post please shut the **** up thanks.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM

U have 2 post please shut the **** up thanks.
yes I do, 2 posts here. I just bought my Cobalt SS two weeks ago.

But- I have 20+ years in high performance cars and high performance engines. I teach high performance engine design. My information comes from engineers and physicists in high performance motorsports, not from conjecture and misunderstanding.

I didn't come here to troll, and I didn't come here to get in a pissing match. I came here to read about Cobalts, learn stuff, and offer up what I've learned over the years when I get the chance.

I saw an opportunity to educate about exhaust backpressure, so I tried. You don't want to believe me, that's fine, it wasn't my intent to offend, only to educate.

now that we've completely derailed the OP's thread (sorry dude!) I'll get out, because this is obviously going nowhere
Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

yes I do, 2 posts here. I just bought my Cobalt SS two weeks ago.

But- I have 20+ years in high performance cars and high performance engines. I teach high performance engine design. My information comes from engineers and physicists in high performance motorsports, not from conjecture and misunderstanding.

I didn't come here to troll, and I didn't come here to get in a pissing match. I came here to read about Cobalts, learn stuff, and offer up what I've learned over the years when I get the chance.

I saw an opportunity to educate about exhaust backpressure, so I tried. You don't want to believe me, that's fine, it wasn't my intent to offend, only to educate.

now that we've completely derailed the OP's thread (sorry dude!) I'll get out, because this is obviously going nowhere
Well my info comes from people that own and tuned cobalts for a living its been posted here many times that if ur not flowing enough to need a 3" u will lose hp. They are dynos posted all over the site that show the same thing im just not gonna dig into pages of info to prove a point over a few hp, I gave the op correct info that on his power level he would make more power on a 2.5 vs 3.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
proof or your full of it

the ls4 is touchy if not set up correctly

op go to the dyno section and look and see what people are doing it will give a better idea of what to expect with what
sub'd to prove your ass wrong.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Well my info comes from people that own and tuned cobalts for a living its been posted here many times that if ur not flowing enough to need a 3" u will lose hp. They are dynos posted all over the site that show the same thing im just not gonna dig into pages of info to prove a point over a few hp, I gave the op correct info that on his power level he would make more power on a 2.5 vs 3.
dang it! I hate it when I can't let go!

you did give the OP the correct info.

except for the bit about backpressure

the 2.5 offers the right amount of volume and velocity for that combo. The 3" has too much volume, not enough velocity for that combo, and installing it will cause a loss in power. On that we agree.

Lack of velocity of exiting gasses does not create an adequate negative pressure area at the open exhaust valve to completely evacuate the chamber, resulting in residual spent gas left over in the chamber--backpressure. So, again, why would you want that?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

dang it! I hate it when I can't let go!

you did give the OP the correct info.

except for the bit about backpressure

the 2.5 offers the right amount of volume and velocity for that combo. The 3" has too much volume, not enough velocity for that combo, and installing it will cause a loss in power. On that we agree.

Lack of velocity of exiting gasses does not create an adequate negative pressure area at the open exhaust valve to completely evacuate the chamber, resulting in residual spent gas left over in the chamber
--backpressure. So, again, why would you want that?
I think what we have is a misunderstanding, everything I just highlighted was what i was talking about the rest im not even talking about, I may have used the wrong terms but I got what I meant across to the op.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM

It's all good on the thread jacking ha. Its good to read for me learning some new things.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM
SS1

wayfarer is correct to the t. i've done alot of trial and error testing with motorcycle exhaust back when i was working as a tech. size, volume , exit velocity all come into play when trying to make power and or tune for power and torque in certain spots of your rpm range. plus i was bored and wanted to add my seven cents to the convo. the 2.75 exhaust is the preferred setup for the cobalt ss/sc. when trying to make big horsepower number with an m62 if horsepower numbers is all you interested in.

AMERICA **** YEAH =-ppp

Quick Reply: What is recommended next upgrade step?