2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Who Has Changed the Supercharger Needle Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Who Has Changed the Supercharger Needle Bearings?

My supercahrager is one of the many that sound absolutely horrible, and was wondering how difficult a task it was to change the rear needle bearings. I imagine regreasing them would be a hell of a lot easier, but it's sounded crappy for awhile, so I thought I should be safe and just replace the bearings. If replacement of the bearings is too daunting a task, I guess I'll just regrease and hope for the best. Any light that anyone could shed on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Matt Gandenberger
Old 08-24-2007, 09:53 PM

Just get a Twin Screw
Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 PM

some companies out there offer like 20K bearings for our cars. google stiegmeier.com they offer a full service for our cars. I will be doing this upgrade soon so I can run more boost without overspinning. Feel free to ask any questions. I have done my homework on this subject.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:17 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 07SSCharged248
Just get a Twin Screw
If you're buyin, count me in!

Originally Posted by burntorange
some companies out there offer like 20K bearings for our cars. google stiegmeier.com they offer a full service for our cars. I will be doing this upgrade soon so I can run more boost without overspinning. Feel free to ask any questions. I have done my homework on this subject.
I'd love to be able to afford a professional rebuild/ downtime with the car, but can't. Basically, I'm curious as to how to remove the needle bearings, and then how to install them. I.e., is there any special tool, anything to be extra careful of, etc. I just don't wanna pull apart my supercharger and end up stuck.

Thanks for your responses, and keep em comin.

Matt
Old 08-25-2007, 04:48 PM

Anybody?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.rollingperformance.com/index.htm

They have snout rebuild kits that come with ceramic bearings, although I'm not sure if they are worth it, and I really dont know much about the company yet. Its just something I ran across a while back and bookmarked
http://www.rollingperformance.com/snoutkits.htm
Old 08-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358

They have snout rebuild kits that come with ceramic bearings, although I'm not sure if they are worth it, and I really dont know much about the company yet. Its just something I ran across a while back and bookmarked

Man... that page looks like a total scam. I'd avoid that.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Yeah I was wondering about how they said that the M45 comes on the LSJ
please disregard my last post about it...
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358

yes.. please avoid them!!!

they are putting nitrile ruber seals on the front cover?!? i highly doubt that will last for any length of time.

And they also mention machining the rear needle roller bearing bores... ahhh!!

its amazing what aftermarket can get away with! If we let aftermarket companies design oem cars.. we'd all be stranded after 5k miles!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM

The rear case needle brgs are not a service item unless you are www.magnusonproducts.com who have the proper fixtures to do a housing bearing change
They are the only ones I know who can do it properly, the rear needle bearings should not need to be replaced based on noise most likly its in the front cover
I see alot of front cover bearing failures from folks that hammer on the pulley
The front cover is however rebuildable , but please only use genuine factory parts as you will only have problems down the road if you dont
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by EatonSC
The rear case needle brgs are not a service item unless you are www.magnusonproducts.com who have the proper fixtures to do a housing bearing change
They are the only ones I know who can do it properly, the rear needle bearings should not need to be replaced based on noise most likly its in the front cover
I see alot of front cover bearing failures from folks that hammer on the pulley
The front cover is however rebuildable , but please only use genuine factory parts as you will only have problems down the road if you dont
That's kinda what I wanted to know. I had a feeling that the rear bearings wouldn't be able to be removed unless done professionally. I'm pretty positive that it's the rear bearings making the noise though. And, it started before I ever changed the pulley, so I'm pretty sure nothing happened during that process. I guess I'll just regrease the needle bearings and hope that that stops the racket. Thanks for the input everybody.

Matt