2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Worst case scenario just happened in my engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when are you kids gonna learn. ZEX plugs are bad for our cars.

I highly doubt this is a "worst case scenario." do a compression test just to check but the engine is probably fine. just needs new threads and the correct spark plugs. maybe a coil pack.

The white **** on the coil and boot is just heat singe.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just learned thats for damn sure. Please if anyone is researching plugs, learn from my screw up. DONT GET THESE THINGS.

How much do you think a compression test, threads and coil pack will run? I am really starting to think that the plug is the source of the problem, and GM wont warranty it at all. Suck.

Found the coil pack I think, although this site doesnt give me a PN...
http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocato...layCatalogid=0

Last edited by Johnboy12358; 02-15-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
I just learned thats for damn sure. Please if anyone is researching plugs, learn from my screw up. DONT GET THESE THINGS.

How much do you think a compression test, threads and coil pack will run? I am really starting to think that the plug is the source of the problem, and GM wont warranty it at all. Suck.

Found the coil pack I think, although this site doesnt give me a PN...
http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocato...layCatalogid=0
Did you take the car in to the dealer?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What size pulley where you running?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 PM
RBC

Originally Posted by ebristol
What size pulley where you running?
I believe he is running just the stg2 kit with stg2 pulley.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Fail Less.

a compression test is free if you can rent the tool from autozone.
I have a coil pack but it doesnt have the rubber boot. You probably just need that connector boot
I'm concerned about where the pieces of the spark plug went. could have chipped up a valve or part of the cylinder.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
RBC

Originally Posted by Bika
a compression test is free if you can rent the tool from autozone.
I have a coil pack but it doesnt have the rubber boot. You probably just need that connector boot
I'm concerned about where the pieces of the spark plug went. could have chipped up a valve or part of the cylinder.
Allot times stuff like that will pass no problem. IF a chunk did indeed fall off the plug at one the heat and compression will have most likely have disintegrated the piece before any damage occurs. It also could have worn over time and little by little pieces fall off and get sucked out with the exhaust gasses. Hell we have found pieces of the piston rings in the cat with no damage to the head on a failed engine. Pretty rare but in can happen.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 AM

my friend i work at vandergriff chevy. take it to us. i got...stuff lol on my cobalt and we dont really bitch. there cool there. just get it as stock as possible and i can even tell them ur my buddy. pm me if intrested. always glad to help a fellow balter out
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
RBC

Originally Posted by rocketrex
my friend i work at vandergriff chevy. take it to us. i got...stuff lol on my cobalt and we dont really bitch. there cool there. just get it as stock as possible and i can even tell them ur my buddy. pm me if intrested. always glad to help a fellow balter out
Maybe I will start taking my car there. I have to bring my car in to have the hotside boost tubing replaced. Maybe we can set something up.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 AM

The oil on the boot on is probably just a leaking valve cover gasket.. not anything to worry about..

Have you tried scewing a new plug in # 1? Maybe you just left it loose the first time? (Hey, I've done it.. i'm not bashing..)

The burnt boot and all the dust is just from combustion gases escaping around the plug that wasn't screwed in!

This isn't worst case scenaro..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBC
I believe he is running just the stg2 kit with stg2 pulley.
Yes. But I have seen his post about going with a smaller pulley. So I was wondering if he ever did.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by rocketrex
I may have to take you up on this. Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by RBC
Allot times stuff like that will pass no problem. IF a chunk did indeed fall off the plug at one the heat and compression will have most likely have disintegrated the piece before any damage occurs. It also could have worn over time and little by little pieces fall off and get sucked out with the exhaust gasses. Hell we have found pieces of the piston rings in the cat with no damage to the head on a failed engine. Pretty rare but in can happen.
I am really hoping you are right. I am starting to think that this might be the case.

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
The oil on the boot on is probably just a leaking valve cover gasket.. not anything to worry about..

Have you tried scewing a new plug in # 1? Maybe you just left it loose the first time? (Hey, I've done it.. i'm not bashing..)

The burnt boot and all the dust is just from combustion gases escaping around the plug that wasn't screwed in!

This isn't worst case scenaro..
I have not tried screwing a new plug in yet. I am going to order a new coil pack and boot (I think they are separate parts) and try to put a new plug and coil in this weekend. I may have very well not screwed it in tight enough and it was backing out all this time. I am thinking that since there isnt alumnium all over the threads of the plug that the head is probably OK.

And yeah, I am starting to think its not worst case, but that is where my mind went when I heard this thing pop! I didnt like it at all!!!

KIDS! DONT BUY ZEX PLUGS!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Do your best to get the dealer to cover it. Have your dad or someone go with you and help you out. Take all things off that could result in them blaming a mod. Changing spark plugs won't result in terminating your warrinty. BTW, I always knew ZEX plugs sucked. NGK is the only brand to use IMO.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM

yea man thats where i go - vandergriff chevy
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
Yes. But I have seen his post about going with a smaller pulley. So I was wondering if he ever did.
just saw your post... Nope it's the 3.1" that comes with the kit still
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Resolution!!

Ok, so I had to take the car to a shop. The threads in cyl 1 were completely gone, like none at all. They were able to put in a solid insert to re-thread it. They checked the threads on all the other cylinders and they all looked good, everything is sealing up. After the insert was put in, I had them put in my NGK BKR7E's gapped at .035". Damn, it runs way better now, and I mean better than before it blew up...

The piece that broke off of the #1 went through without foul as well it seems.

Moral of the story kids?
DON'T BUY ZEX PLUGS!!!!

Anyways, here are some pictures of the damage, and the total piece of **** plugs that came out. It seems that they had all started to back out, or were knocked loose when the first one went. The plug holes had exhaust residue on them, as do these things...

All four, plus the blown up coil pack.

Check out the stripping... It took all the threads out, I mean ALL of them.

If you look here, you can see where the force of it gettin blown out actually ripped the rubber of the coil pack's boot apart all the way at the top. There are four places around the top where it is torn like this.

Here are some close ups of the other three. These things were ****.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moral of the story kids?
DON'T BUY ZEX PLUGS!!!!
I was just going to say that!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 PM

dont use any plugs with multiple electrodes or whatever. this is mine. my gf's dad builds engines and he said those kinda plugs arent designed to be run in supercharded cars.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Ok, so I had to take the car to a shop. The threads in cyl 1 were completely gone, like none at all. They were able to put in a solid insert to re-thread it. They checked the threads on all the other cylinders and they all looked good, everything is sealing up. After the insert was put in, I had them put in my NGK BKR7E's gapped at .035". Damn, it runs way better now, and I mean better than before it blew up...

The piece that broke off of the #1 went through without foul as well it seems.

Moral of the story kids?
DON'T BUY ZEX PLUGS!!!!

Anyways, here are some pictures of the damage, and the total piece of **** plugs that came out. It seems that they had all started to back out, or were knocked loose when the first one went. The plug holes had exhaust residue on them, as do these things...

All four, plus the blown up coil pack.

Check out the stripping... It took all the threads out, I mean ALL of them.

If you look here, you can see where the force of it gettin blown out actually ripped the rubber of the coil pack's boot apart all the way at the top. There are four places around the top where it is torn like this.

Here are some close ups of the other three. These things were ****.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this!

Huh, this is just what the second post in this thread said to do.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 PM

Points to you
Old 02-20-2009, 03:35 AM
RBC

Did you have to pay out of pocket?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
**** it man, you still got 3 cylinders left... 1 down wont make a difference

sorry im drunk, wish i could be of some sort of help.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 AM

who payed?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:03 AM

I paid, the problem was caused by the spark plug, I am positive. I decided to not mess with the dealer, the place that fixed it had a decent price and they seem knowledgable
Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by Nussle
dont use any plugs with multiple electrodes or whatever. this is mine. my gf's dad builds engines and he said those kinda plugs arent designed to be run in supercharged cars.
why in the hell are your plugs so long? definitely not the right plug for our application

Quick Reply: Worst case scenario just happened in my engine