2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ZZ Performance down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered the down pipe as well but w/out the cat... It may sound nasty but I have some plans.....
Old 06-09-2006, 02:52 PM

well i got back from my second place who told me the sound is normal on a new cat. Said that it needs to build up some carbon and they said there is no leakes, and my exaust system install is one of the cleanest they have seen in a long time.

I will give it about 1000 miles see if it gets better, if not he said it could be a bad cat, and then I will look to ZZP for a replacement. I will give it the time to get some carbon built though.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Our you talking the pitch of the exhaust is different at the tip? A high flow cat will give a different tone.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:11 PM

So let me get this straight. I could buy this downpipe now and it will fit on my stock exhaust? then if i decide to upgrade to a 3' exhaust it will still fit? please help with my question./
Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Just as an update. I took my car to 2 different shops. Both say that my exaust system is 100% leak free. I still have that noise from after adding the downpipe. The good news is its not as noticable as it was when I first got it. This makes me believe the statement it will get better once the carbon builds up on it is true.

My bro bought one too, and he gets the same exact noise.

This narrows it down to being the Cat 100%. I have only put 100-200 miles on it since I installed it so it may still get better I will update in a week or two and let you know where we stand.

As far as the HP, I didnt see any difference to be honest. It sounds a bit throatier. I have an aeroforce interceptor and it peaked at 303 hp before the new cat/downpipe. Well low and behold it still peaks at 303. So I dont believe it to have done a thing. Now the scan gauge may be inaccurate, but thats what I saw so take it for what its worth.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 PM

I ordered my downpipe w/o a cat and it will be here tomarrow. So with my header, downpipe, and 2.5" catback it will sounds prett good (I'm hoping) I'll let you all know how it goes wafter installation.

I know it will throw a CEL, but i beleive Intense can disable the #2 o2 sensor since its usless in the first place (as far as fuel trimming goes)
Old 06-15-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Xenozx
IM having weird noises come from mine. I replaced the stock gasket inbetween the catback/downpipe which was all melted and crap with a brand new one, tightened it up and everything. I know thats perfect and IM still getting the noise. So now its either the cat itself or the gasket or spot where the cat hooks to the header. I could not get to that in my driveway, so I am taking it to a muffler shop to be looked at tomorrow to see if they can identify the noise. It makes my car sound all ricey. If it where not for that noise it would be perfect.
I'm getting the same noise, i hope it goes away
Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 PM

What noise are you guys getting? Is it a high pitched sounds only when accelerating? I installed my Downpipe W/out CAT today, took it for a quick spin. Idle it sounds great, but when ya give it some throttle this high pitch kinda raspy sound occurs. All my gaskets are good and i know for sure everything it tight.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by 05_Blue_B10WN_SS
What noise are you guys getting? Is it a high pitched sounds only when accelerating? I installed my Downpipe W/out CAT today, took it for a quick spin. Idle it sounds great, but when ya give it some throttle this high pitch kinda raspy sound occurs. All my gaskets are good and i know for sure everything it tight.
same sound. Sounds like a leak/whistle. I took my car to 2 exaust shops who both said my exaust system was tight as humanly possible. even checked it myself.

Ive put a couple 100 miles on my car and can verify it has gotten better but not perfect yet. Under full throttle you dont hear it, just cruising you dont hear it, it is usually only there from 3-4 k rpms.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:02 AM

What else do you have done to you exhaust systems? With a catless downpipe this big you have to have a big resonator and a GOOD muffler or it will sound like ****.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM

hmmm.. i was about to order the 3" downpipe with the cat but i wasnt expecting it change the sound I think i'll hold off for now, and plus you said you couldnt notice any differnce. Does it sound ricey? And if i ordered the 3" down pipe would the flanges on my 2.5" catback exhaust match up?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jaslowyota
hmmm.. i was about to order the 3" downpipe with the cat but i wasnt expecting it change the sound I think i'll hold off for now, and plus you said you couldnt notice any differnce. Does it sound ricey? And if i ordered the 3" down pipe would the flanges on my 2.5" catback exhaust match up?
At idle the car sounds good and same with cruising its when you acclerate and it sounds reallt fuzzy
Old 06-16-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nuclear
At idle the car sounds good and same with cruising its when you acclerate and it sounds reallt fuzzy
But you couldnt notice any power increase, correct?
Old 06-16-2006, 06:09 PM

i did notice a increase, mostly high rpm's
Old 06-17-2006, 02:46 PM

well just got back from an exhaust shop an theres no leaks, they guys said that the noise was normal with stainless and it should go away after a week or two of driving and if it doesn't they said the cat is no good
Old 06-17-2006, 02:55 PM

Mines also leak free. I got mine w/out cat, and it still makes the noise. I got about 150-200 miles on it so far.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=05_Blue_B10WN_SS]Mines also leak free. I got mine w/out cat, and it still makes the noise. I got about 150-200 miles on it so far.[/QUOT

Is the noise getting softer yet on yours?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 AM

Yeah, its getting a little softer. It creamed really loud like a whistle when i first put it on. I hope it gets better. It sounds awsome w/ my header & magnaflow catback. I just need that freakin high pitch whisle sounds to go away.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:09 AM

I had an exaust leak previously and it sounds just like that. I had my 2.5 magnaflow catback welded and problem went away. Now When I start the car or idle it sounds fine. When I punch it theres like this noise, very hard to describe, but definately sounds like a leak. I checked everywhere but where the new downpipe connects to the header, so there may still be an issue there, and I will ahve that checked out tomorrow. If thats all it is I will update, maybe an issue with the gasket up top too. If not I will update, and look at a replacement cat for a fix.

I have the same noise....leaking sound, but system checks out to be leak free. The noise we narrowed down to being the FLEX part of the down pipe. I have the 3 inch downpipe without a cat and still get that noise. Sounds like a ticking whistling leak.

The flex joint when vibrating is making that noise. I replaced my pipe with my stock one and the sound went away. I pressure tested the ZZP pipe without cat and showed no leaks.

Hope that helps you guys out, I personally don't like the sound, but once my supercharger whine kicks in the sound is drowned out. I only get this with light acceleration in 1000-2500 rpm range.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by ENUFPWR
I have the same noise....leaking sound, but system checks out to be leak free. The noise we narrowed down to being the FLEX part of the down pipe. I have the 3 inch downpipe without a cat and still get that noise. Sounds like a ticking whistling leak.

The flex joint when vibrating is making that noise. I replaced my pipe with my stock one and the sound went away. I pressure tested the ZZP pipe without cat and showed no leaks.

Hope that helps you guys out, I personally don't like the sound, but once my supercharger whine kicks in the sound is drowned out. I only get this with light acceleration in 1000-2500 rpm range.
I feel ya, Mine is actually almost un-noticable now. It just needs to build some carbon up. I can still hear it slightly but only between 3000-4000 RPMS. When lower then that its silent and above that it seems to go away, or the SC is drowing it out, but its really not bad any more, atleast compared to the day of install where I was actually pisseda about it.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:01 PM

I feel ya, Mine is actually almost un-noticable now. It just needs to build some carbon up. I can still hear it slightly but only between 3000-4000 RPMS. When lower then that its silent and above that it seems to go away, or the SC is drowing it out, but its really not bad any more, atleast compared to the day of install where I was actually pisseda about it.
Sweet, I hope mine starts to go away soon. I've only put 150KM since the install
Old 06-18-2006, 01:34 PM

Now that the sound is starting to go away does it sound meaner at all now versus before it?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:20 PM

Mines louder at idle but i'll have to wait for the noise to go away for wide open throttle
Old 06-18-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaslowyota
Now that the sound is starting to go away does it sound meaner at all now versus before it?
Yea, to be honest my exaust was always wayyy too quiet. It really sounds good now. I can atleast hear it when the supercharger is whining its ass off now, where before all your heard was SC lol.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:27 PM

Yea, to be honest my exaust was always wayyy too quiet. It really sounds good now. I can atleast hear it when the supercharger is whining its ass off now, where before all your heard was SC lol.
How many miles have you put on since the install? and any pics of the new pulley?

Quick Reply: ZZ Performance down pipe