2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Are ZZP'S Stage 2 Cam's Worth It??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Are ZZP'S Stage 2 Cam's Worth It??

Ok so the stage 2 cams from zzp are $650, they add around 30 extra hp and a good amount of torque proven by ThexGovenor in this thread ZZP Stage 2 cams. dyno proven difference. - Cobalt SS Network. Ok so $650 isn't that bad for that amount of hp and torque but to run them you are going to need 82# valve springs (because stock springs will not keep up with the new cams) thats $330. Then you are going to need the ATI damper (these cams will end up busting up your engine with that amount vibration from the new rpm range) which end up being $400. And then you have to get the neutral balance shaft which is really a good product in my opinion because it weighs half of what the stock one weight so in theory it should accelerate quicker, but that cost $270. So when you add it all the prices you end up with $1650 for maybe 35 hp increase and a good amount of torque, but for $1650??? idk I just want to get everybodys opinion on this. I also know that some people on here are running stage 2 cam's and probably don't have ATI damper or the neutral balance and are going to tell me that they have had no problem (lmao so far). But to those people my cars health is very important to me because I want to have this car for a long time so If I was to get stage 2 cams I would want to have all or most of these products. ps sorry for the long write up, hopefully this will get yalls brain going.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by kickbuts228
Ok so the stage 2 cams from zzp are $650, they add around 30 extra hp and a good amount of torque proven by ThexGovenor in this thread ZZP Stage 2 cams. dyno proven difference. - Cobalt SS Network. Ok so $650 isn't that bad for that amount of hp and torque but to run them you are going to need 82# valve springs (because stock springs will not keep up with the new cams) thats $330. Then you are going to need the ATI damper (these cams will end up busting up your engine with that amount vibration from the new rpm range) which end up being $400. And then you have to get the neutral balance shaft which is really a good product in my opinion because it weighs half of what the stock one weight so in theory it should accelerate quicker, but that cost $270. So when you add it all the prices you end up with $1650 for maybe 35 hp increase and a good amount of torque, but for $1650??? idk I just want to get everybodys opinion on this. I also know that some people on here are running stage 2 cam's and probably don't have ATI damper or the neutral balance and are going to tell me that they have had no problem (lmao so far). But to those people my cars health is very important to me because I want to have this car for a long time so If I was to get stage 2 cams I would want to have all or most of these products. ps sorry for the long write up, hopefully this will get yalls brain going.
I was waiting for a thread like this. I've been wondering the same thing.. in for results.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on mods get s3s. Don't bother with the s2s
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Tjolley
Depending on mods get s3s. Don't bother with the s2s
ZZP says "the Stage 3 cams are recommended for all out race cars, not intended for street cars due to their high rpm power band." Im a DD street car if the people who make it don't don't recommend it for me i'm not going down that road. But I did think about that earlier today. But decided it was a bad idea.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 PM

ZZP says "the Stage 3 cams are recommended for all out race cars, not intended for street cars due to their high rpm power band." Im a DD street car if the people who make it don't don't recommend it for me i'm not going down that road. But I did think about that earlier today. But decided it was a bad idea.
Times have changed
Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 PM

Do these ppl always believe Wat Zzp says?? Come on man.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by 574
Times have changed
Lmao what do u mean Times have changed... Obama didn't change s$^t jk he just f%#@ everything up.

Originally Posted by Tjolley
Do these ppl always believe Wat Zzp says?? Come on man.
lol not to be rude but ZZP is a major company I am pretty sure they know more about cars than u and me

Last edited by kickbuts228; 11-13-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Lmao what do u mean Times have changed... Obama didn't change s$^t jk he just f%#@ everything up.

lol not to be rude but ZZP is a major company I am pretty sure they know more about cars than u and me
When comparing specs s3 isn't some scary Un drivable rave cam it's made out to be. People are beginning to figure this out
Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by 574
When comparing specs s3 isn't some scary Un drivable rave cam it's made out to be. People are beginning to figure this out
really? would you mind linking me to some threads about stage 3? and I have a feeling this thread is going to go unanswered.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 PM

It won't go Un answered. John will step in. He's the cam expert
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i thought the point of the stage 3 cams was that they make peak power past 8k rpm, making it less useful on the street. not necessarily a crazy track machine
Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by southal cobalt
i thought the point of the stage 3 cams was that they make peak power past 8k rpm, making it less useful on the street. not necessarily a crazy track machine
exactly it also says on that the peak power is at 9500+rpm which would require a highly modified valvetrain to support. But can we please get back the thread, If you guys think stage 2 cams are really worth all the upgrades that are required.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Ok, let me chime in here. The cams are great. To hit the peak you would have to hit at least 8k rpms. And at that point it would be higher than 35 hp. I only spin to 7500 rpms and it still gave that bump in torque and hp. Also it drops boost by about 3-4 psi which is great because it causes less stress on the engine. 75lb valve springs from supertech is what I run. However look at my mod list. At the point Im at the cams were one of the last things I could add without a built motor. Hockeyman also runs them and loves them. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Ill also check back in here when I can.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 PM

also I run the stock dampner and balance shafts. I hardly ever have it up near 7500 so im not worried.
Keep in mind that the torque is higher throughout the powerband which makes a big difference.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
exactly it also says on that the peak power is at 9500+rpm which would require a highly modified valvetrain to support. But can we please get back the thread, If you guys think stage 2 cams are really worth all the upgrades that are required.
Name:  newcam_zpscb132b86.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  34.9 KB

these are the cams I run and it drives better then a stock car granted they are not drop in and tune like zzp cams are I had to check the cam events and check the centerline of the cams I also needed adj cam gears just to be able to install the cams I also had to adv the exh cam 4deg as it was off so the cam gears are needed I also had to time the cps hex on the exh cam(which was not hard to do) the power curve is more violent then the zzp stg2 cams. but the zzp stg2 cams are decent cams if I did not go custom I would have got the stg3 cams you can get around the factory rev limit of 8192 but I would not recommend doing that on the hydraulic lash adjusters for a long they don't like it you will need solid bates lash adjusters for that I do not regret going with custom cams it was more work but well worth it

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 11-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ThexGovenor
Ok, let me chime in here. The cams are great. To hit the peak you would have to hit at least 8k rpms. And at that point it would be higher than 35 hp. I only spin to 7500 rpms and it still gave that bump in torque and hp. Also it drops boost by about 3-4 psi which is great because it causes less stress on the engine. 75lb valve springs from supertech is what I run. However look at my mod list. At the point Im at the cams were one of the last things I could add without a built motor. Hockeyman also runs them and loves them. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Ill also check back in here when I can.
My customer with stage 2 ZZP cams is like you. He loves them. wouldnt change for anything.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
My customer with stage 2 ZZP cams is like you. He loves them. wouldnt change for anything.
Agreed. They may not be the most aggressive cams but they sure are fun to drive with!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 PM

S3's make PEAK power there. They still increase power across the power band. That being said, hockeyman and myself did s2 cams at the same time without bsd or nbs or a dampener. He later installed it. I Rev to 7500rpm without any issues. I have had them for a while. I will, eventually, add my dampener and disconnect the bs drive chain.

If you do anything with your bs, do a delete or go ewp and disconnect the drive chain completely. Don't waste money on nbs.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Not everyone is as intense into their motors like Mr.B and Tjolley. For an all around, drop in, easy install, revving to the moon not required cam. ZZP's stage 1 or 2 is a great buy and worth the additional things needed to run them.

Hell people blow a lot more money for a lot less on their Balts on here.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM

But to those people my cars health is very important to me because I want to have this car for a long time so If I was to get stage 2 cams I would want to have all or most of these products. ps sorry for the long write up, hopefully this will get yalls brain going.
let me answer this for you.

When it comes to modding and racing any car, its not "IF", its "when" , If you mod a car then EXPECT for it to break, if you dont want it to break then just leave it alone.

So lets break this down to better (more usable) questions

What are your current mods?
What are your realistic goals for HP?
What is your budget?

You also need to understand that HP changes occur exponentially based off of other mods. Stock or lightly modded cars are not going to see the same amount of HP gains as a TVS car would with the same cams
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
^^^this. end thread lol
Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by slitterell
S3's make PEAK power there. They still increase power across the power band. That being said, hockeyman and myself did s2 cams at the same time without bsd or nbs or a dampener. He later installed it. I Rev to 7500rpm without any issues. I have had them for a while. I will, eventually, add my dampener and disconnect the bs drive chain.

If you do anything with your bs, do a delete or go ewp and disconnect the drive chain completely. Don't waste money on nbs.
no one I know of has run the stg3 cams so you cant say that they will or will not make power were and as for deleting the accessory chain that's bad advice and not for everyone running nbs or a delete is more of what 90% of the people need

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
Not everyone is as intense into their motors like Mr.B and Tjolley. For an all around, drop in, easy install, revving to the moon not required cam. ZZP's stage 1 or 2 is a great buy and worth the additional things needed to run them.

Hell people blow a lot more money for a lot less on their Balts on here.
dam skippy
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I dunno if I could do that much money into a blower car unless I already had the engine out for some other work. You spend 2K on the cams and supporting parts, gain 30hp and are still limited by other things from really revving the crap out of the car. Also you will only see strong high-rpm gains on an upgraded blower.

For that money, you could do a quality turbo setup on the stock engine and make a **** load more power. Using Josh's car as my personal experience example, so assume he's maybe a 5K all in on the turbo setup, because everything is absolutely top quality on his car. It's approaching 500hp. It's dead nuts reliable and daily driverable. Just me thinking out loud here, I know everyone has their preference (mine is nitrous BTW).

EDIT:
I had GMR cams and supertech springs in my car, so I know what the cammed car feels like, i'm not just talking out my ass here. My car with 10:1 pistons, cams and springs, on an M62 and a 60 shot of nitrous was a ******* rocket and would absolutely destroy 99% of the cars on here on the street from a 40 roll, which was it's purpose. I'm just trying to be objective relative to this thread.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
We all know it's easier to make power with a turbo. But this is blower talk
Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
Im listening here. Good read.

Quick Reply: Are ZZP'S Stage 2 Cam's Worth It??