2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

another turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another turbo question

how many psi are those 2 of you running, with your turbo setup? cause when you blow off it really doesnt sound all that loud (not much boost). or am i just wrong, could you get a short clip?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 AM

there is a forced induction section, this would probably fit better there.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 AM

Depends on turbo, how much boost, what kind of blow off valve....usually a big turbo + lots of boost + the right bov = SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Also, stock srt4 + bov = SWOOOOOSH! lol
Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 PM

to my knowledge blow off valves aren't even really necessary til you get to 10+psi of boost which none of those cars are running

they are probably using bypass valves which don't give off the same sound
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by memphisr24
Depends on turbo, how much boost, what kind of blow off valve....usually a big turbo + lots of boost + the right bov = SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Also, stock srt4 + bov = SWOOOOOSH! lol
Actually it has more to do with air pressure being created and the blow off valve that you're using. There are some companies that care more about relieving air pressure rather than how loud it is...so it really depends on the manufacturer as well. The actual turbocharger size doesn't have really much to do with it.

Remember, the job of a blow off valve is to relieve the pressure inside the intake track. How much airflow that's inside the charge pipe isn't really relavent.

Originally Posted by IonNinja
to my knowledge blow off valves aren't even really necessary til you get to 10+psi of boost which none of those cars are running

they are probably using bypass valves which don't give off the same sound
Blow off valves and bypass valves do the same thing but just in a different manner. Blow off valves releases the pressure in the charge pipe into the atmosphere. Bypass valves return it back into the intake track.

Now that I think about it, they are probably using bypass valves because they have MAFs and it might mess with the operation of the MAF and probably throw a code...but I believe that also depends on the location of it. So this is probably why you can't hear it.

Last edited by NJHK; 03-14-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 AM

njhk do you think the alpine turbo and the sm6 are worth the 3500?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by diablo2007
njhk do you think the alpine turbo and the sm6 are worth the 3500?
Honestly, I don't know of the quality of the kit or what it includes. The SMT-6 will work fine though.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Honestly, I don't know of the quality of the kit or what it includes. The SMT-6 will work fine though.
I've seen the kit in person. The quality is OEM (it looks like factory stuff). Very nice. Check out this article:

http://alpine-developments.us/Alpine...2520cooker.pdf
Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
I've seen the kit in person. The quality is OEM (it looks like factory stuff). Very nice. Check out this article:

I agree. I've seen this kit in person myself =P i look under my hood almost every day. lol.

The intercooled setup is 8psi. It does not come with a BOV, or bypass, but its not needed unless you push higher boost. I have the Bypass valve itself, i just need to remove the charge pipe and intake pipe to tap into and hook it up. It cost me 30 bux. And i personally dont need a BOV, i like the sleeper idea. Cuz let me tell you, i've dropped sooo many mouths in this town when 25k+ cars pull up next to me and think they are gonna smoke me. I've already gained respect from the evo guys around here. They are waitin for the day i pass them, which isnt far down the road.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything I hear about this kit just keeps getting better and better, I am getting excited

I might go this route myself if my SS engine swap falls through, just like all my other damn car plans....
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 AM

ya thats more what i was wondering is if the sm6 is good or not, and is there a way to put a bov in the charge pipes because if i buy a turbo ill probably get the modding bug and shoot for some where around 500hp
Old 03-16-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
I agree. I've seen this kit in person myself =P i look under my hood almost every day. lol.

The intercooled setup is 8psi. It does not come with a BOV, or bypass, but its not needed unless you push higher boost. I have the Bypass valve itself, i just need to remove the charge pipe and intake pipe to tap into and hook it up. It cost me 30 bux. And i personally dont need a BOV, i like the sleeper idea. Cuz let me tell you, i've dropped sooo many mouths in this town when 25k+ cars pull up next to me and think they are gonna smoke me. I've already gained respect from the evo guys around here. They are waitin for the day i pass them, which isnt far down the road.
Just so no one gets confussed...

A blow off valve releases the air pressure in the intake track to the atmosphere. A bypass valve releases the air pressure back into the intake track.

ya thats more what i was wondering is if the sm6 is good or not, and is there a way to put a bov in the charge pipes because if i buy a turbo ill probably get the modding bug and shoot for some where around 500hp
Well I hope that bug is stopped by common sense until you do engine work and I wouldn't rely on a piggyback unit for fuel management for that amount of power. On top of that, there is alot of changes that need to be made elsewhere.

Last edited by NJHK; 03-16-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 AM

oh i no that i would build the eternals, probably a week after i put the kit on, id also like stage 1 cams do those two work together safely? what could the piggyback handle, 300?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:34 AM

oh i no that i would build the eternals, probably a week after i put the kit on, id also like stage 1 cams do those two work together safely? what could the piggyback handle, 300?
Actually, you have a camshaft sensor in your exhaust cam, so you wouldn't be able to get a set of camshafts made unless you use your camshafts (or another set of 07s) as spares to get regrinded.

As far as your piggyback, there isn't a power level that limits you, it's a control limitation. A piggyback unit changes in degrees from your stock computers settings. It alters the voltage to get the more or less fuel it wants. When you start aiming for a higher amounts of power, you start changing the injector sizes. Now in order to idle correctly, you'd either need to turn down the:

A. Fuel Pressure - You would normally do this through a Fuel Pressure Regulator but you don't have a return fuel system.
B. Duty Cycle - You would have to do this through a PCM programmer.
C. Signal from the MAF/MAP - like you would be doing with a piggyback

You can only adjust so much when it comes to idling or cruising and using VERY large fuel injectors.

When you start demanding more fuel, you start to increase the signal which could start to bring up countermeasures like retarding ignition timing which would decrease power.

When you demand more power, you need to demand more control...the lack of control can hurt you in the long run when you are aiming for something extremely high like 500 HP. You're probably in the 300 CC injector area...you'd need something 2 times larger for the amount of power you're looking for.

This is just the tip of the ice berg.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:47 AM

The SMT-6 will do everything you need for whatever power level you want. Its just getting the rest of the car to handle it as well. Retarding timing is no problem, even adding fuel isnt. Its supplying the fuel to the 5th injector and the current injectors that is what your going to need to upgrade. Thats what im running into right now. The 5th injector takes fuel off the "Test Port" at the beginning of the fuel rail. Upgrading the fuel pump would most likely take care of the issue. The 5th injector is a 670cc injector.

Another thing i've considered. The SMT-6 can run up to 16 injectors at once. What i may do is just get larger injectors, and run them off the smt-6. You could completely control the signal from idle to redline, so there wouldnt be any problem. Only thing is, i dunno what the stock computers gonna say when it doesnt have its stock injectors to talk to...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
The SMT-6 will do everything you need for whatever power level you want. Its just getting the rest of the car to handle it as well. Retarding timing is no problem, even adding fuel isnt. Its supplying the fuel to the 5th injector and the current injectors that is what your going to need to upgrade. Thats what im running into right now. The 5th injector takes fuel off the "Test Port" at the beginning of the fuel rail. Upgrading the fuel pump would most likely take care of the issue. The 5th injector is a 670cc injector.

Another thing i've considered. The SMT-6 can run up to 16 injectors at once. What i may do is just get larger injectors, and run them off the smt-6. You could completely control the signal from idle to redline, so there wouldnt be any problem. Only thing is, i dunno what the stock computers gonna say when it doesnt have its stock injectors to talk to...
A 5th injector is another thing...

I was mainly talking about controlling through the main fuel injectors.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM

and once again since theres no tunning you cant just put bigger injectors in, id have to do what you were saying sway, but im not sure the computer would like not having injectors, ill have to go to alpine, and talk to them they could probably convince me
Old 03-16-2007, 09:47 PM

and once again since theres no tunning you cant just put bigger injectors in, id have to do what you were saying sway, but im not sure the computer would like not having injectors, ill have to go to alpine, and talk to them they could probably convince me
Yes...you can put bigger injectors in. Read my previous post about controlling fuel injectors. That was referencing to a much higher HP application...not a mildly turbocharged vehicle.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:53 PM

so does the turbo kit come with injectors, cause for the time being it will only be around 200hp, and your saying that would be extremely safe right? cause i know nothing about boosting a n.a vehicle, ive always done pre boosted. but i am reading the corkey bell maximum boost book right now so ill know soon enough
Old 03-16-2007, 11:06 PM

so does the turbo kit come with injectors, cause for the time being it will only be around 200hp, and your saying that would be extremely safe right? cause i know nothing about boosting a n.a vehicle, ive always done pre boosted. but i am reading the corkey bell maximum boost book right now so ill know soon enough
The current 2.2 kit for the Alpine uses one additional (49 lb) injector to add extra fuel under boost (for theory on this, see Maximum Boost, page 92). This eliminates the need to change the stock injectors. The same piggy-back computer that monitors boost and causes the stock ECU to reduce ignition timing under boost also controls the extra injector pulse width.

For an interesting article on this kit and the control method, click the followig link:

Old 03-17-2007, 12:14 AM

I'm saying that you will 99% need larger fuel injectors because you don't want to "overload" the stock injectors and honestly, they aren't large enough to supply the (fuel amount) power you're more than likely aiming for.

Unless you of course are doing the 5th injector idea...
Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 AM

im for sure going with the 5th injector, how much can you pick up the tuning for?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:05 AM

im for sure going with the 5th injector, how much can you pick up the tuning for?
What do you mean "pick up the tuning"? Sorry, I'm not understanding.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Heres a neat little in depth explnation about BOV's, same principles apply.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov.html

Also an explantation of adding a fifth injector. (granted not the same application for us but the principle)

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_extrainj.html

Also for your reading enjoyment, beware the srt4 isnt the only fast turbo dodge.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/the_reliant.html
Old 03-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
What do you mean "pick up the tuning"? Sorry, I'm not understanding.
im sorry last night i couldnt remember the name the sm6 and also the thing they use for retarding timing

Quick Reply: another turbo question