86.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

A/C delete yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 08CPE?SS
first off picking hunnies up in a cobalt isnt the first thing that comes with the car. second not only do you loose weight you also reduce the rotating mass on your engine helping produce more power and reving up faster. the saying in the racing world is worry about the ounces and the pounds will come off. I also live in md, I have been contemplating this quagmire for a while and I am building a kit for it now. I say yes man up dont be dumb and if your chick is that superficial take her car so you save money or get a new one. YES
Picking up hunnies, maybe not. But thats not to say that Phil can't meet a cute girl when he's NOT in his Cobalt, who might want to go out to dinner on a hot night. Look, same **** happened to me back when I had my RX-7. I NEVER.....NEVER used the A/C in that car. The car was a convertible.....so why bother? Well, come prom time, I had a hot date.....and her one request was that we run the A/C so that her hair wouldn't get all frizzed out and she wouldn't get sweat stains all over her expensive ass dress, lol. So thankfully, I had A/C, and I blasted it all the way to prom and all was well. I'm just saying....if its your ONLY car.....its nice to have should you need it.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arkkornkid
only benefit would be if it were a track car that never saw the street, otherwise removing it is just a waste of time/effort.
I removed it on my CRX because there wasnt room for the intercooler......
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 AM

things to start with:
1: sound deadening material on struts, behind door panels and in trunk. ( I run a completely gutted trunk and door the only things that are in the door are the wires and structural pieces)
2: remove the carpet from the trunk and any sound deadening material that you find in there
3: plastic screw covers on the base of your seats, on your door handle, and on the door arm rest.
4: get rid of the floor mats
5: get rid of that sub and amp. getting really nice speakers w/ tweeters and a good 4 channel you will be straight.

The next big step i would take is replace your hood and trunk with fiberglass or carbon fiber pieces (be patient and look for used stuff i have both and spent less than 500 for both by doing this) if you want to get extreme with this run hood pins (you may have to because the hood strut will often warp carbon and you need it to keep the hood from moving around.

I would also get rid of your stock rims, im assuming you have the 4x100 wheels, there is no shortage of cheap wheel that can be had which weigh next to nothing again i would recommend looking for used stuff vs stock although the new stuff can be had for next to nothing.

I dont know what model car you have but getting rid of things like power windows is a big move in the right direction... speaking of which if anyone wants to trade their manual windows for my power ones...

In short there is a lot of room to reduce weight on these cars if you look.... I would leave the a/c in if i were you.

*** REMEMBER THIS***
take a 2500lb car with 140 hp and thats 17.9lbs/hp so by removing 18lbs that ratio is the same as adding 1hp to your car and that number exaggerates every time you do it 20lbs may not seem like a lot but remember its all about power to weight ratio guys.

Last edited by ssilverbalt; 05-14-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: needed to add stuff
Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ssilverbalt
things to start with:
1: sound deadening material on struts, behind door panels and in trunk. ( I run a completely gutted trunk and door the only things that are in the door are the wires and structural pieces)
2: remove the carpet from the trunk and any sound deadening material that you find in there
3: plastic screw covers on the base of your seats, on your door handle, and on the door arm rest.
5: get rid of that sub and amp. getting really nice speakers w/ tweeters and a good 4 channel you will be straight.

The next big step i would take is replace your hood and trunk with fiberglass or carbon fiber pieces (be patient and look for used stuff i have both and spent less than 500 for both by doing this) if you want to get extreme with this run hood pins (you may have to because the hood strut will often warp carbon and you need it to keep the hood from moving around.

I would also get rid of your stock rims, im assuming you have the 4x100 wheels, there is no shortage of cheap wheel that can be had which weigh next to nothing again i would recommend looking for used stuff vs stock although the new stuff can be had for next to nothing.

I dont know what model car you have but getting rid of things like power windows is a big move in the right direction... speaking of which if anyone wants to trade their manual windows for my power ones...

In short there is a lot of room to reduce weight on these cars if you look.... I would leave the a/c in if i were you.

*** REMEMBER THIS***
take a 2500lb car with 140 hp and thats 17.9lbs/hp so by removing 18lbs that ratio is the same as adding 1hp to your car and that number exaggerates every time you do it 20lbs may not seem like a lot but remember its all about power to weight ratio guys.
yep thats why my CRX spanks camaros and mustangs
Old 05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
things to start with:

*** REMEMBER THIS***
He's already got 17" MSR's.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
things to start with:

*** REMEMBER THIS***

Its not a race car, and he will need the A/C. A stock Cobalt is about 18lb/hp. Even if he removes 100lb his weight to power ratio is still only going to be 17.5lb/hp. If it was going to be a serious drag car and he was really putting out some power that 100 would make a difference, but he isn't so he shouldn't.

*** Also ***

By removing the A/C you are not reducing the rotational mass by much. It would be a negligable difference in a daily driver. When the A/C is not engaged it rotates freely and creates almost no drag.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 AM

Dude AC is the greatest invention since those slices of ham with the little specs of cheese in them... I love AC.. I dont care if my car was a slow **** wagon, as long as it had cool air...
The person who invented AC needs a Nobel peace prize.. because he made this world alot happier place, he has saved lives and reduced teenage pregnancy..
Don't do it... be thankful that you are blessed with AC and use it..
Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 AM

No. I'd say the cons outweigh the pros in this situation. No sooner than you going through the hell of taking it all out would a gigantic heat wave come through and you would be sweating your ***** off wishing you had AC.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by G85 SS
No. I'd say the cons outweigh the pros in this situation. No sooner than you going through the hell of taking it all out would a gigantic heat wave come through and you would be sweating your ***** off wishing you had AC.
yeah I dont think itd make much diff. only reason I took mine outta the CRX was for the intercooler and turbo space , plus its an 89 so it dont really matter you know? I mean I dont use my ac much either I like riding with the windows down. but on a cobalt , I think if you EVER MAYBE EVEN JUST A LITTLE want to sell it later down the road. dont do it.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:55 AM

If your goal is to strip the entire interior down to bare metal and turn it into a complete race car, then go ahead and do it. Taking just the AC out makes about as much sense as having a girlfriend take just her shirt off. While the end result is a little more pleasing than before (sometimes), you're always going to be a little disappointed in the end.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sentry
If your goal is to strip the entire interior down to bare metal and turn it into a complete race car, then go ahead and do it. Taking just the AC out makes about as much sense as having a girlfriend take just her shirt off. While the end result is a little more pleasing than before (sometimes), you're always going to be a little disappointed in the end.
perfectly said /end thread
Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
He's already got 17" MSR's.
You need to get rid of those ASAP, if performance is what you are after. Larger than stock wheels do nothing but hurt you. they will cause a loss in both acceleration, braking and some parasitic powerloss due to rotational inertia.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
Phil, stop trying to make your damn 2.2 a race car. Its a daily driven STREET CAR, so leave the freakin A/C intact, even if you don't use it. Lets say you DO someday get a hot date. You don't wanna be taking some hot slwhore out to dinner on a hot summer night w/o A/C. Otherwise her hair is gonna get all frizzed the **** out and shes gonna bitch and moan until the cows come home. KEEP THE A/C!!!!!

Taking the A/C out of a 20 year old car is alot different than taking the A/C out of a 1 year old car. I mean yeah, if I had some old 240 (no offense), it wouldn't matter one way or the other what I had in the car, just as long as the bitch ran.

it is a race car lol, i am racing it. and i have a gf thank you very much

Originally Posted by Sentry

ya know that simple statement swayed my decision the most lol.

You need to get rid of those ASAP, if performance is what you are after. Larger than stock wheels do nothing but hurt you. they will cause a loss in both acceleration, braking and some parasitic powerloss due to rotational inertia.
yea but there not THAT much heavier than the stock ones and with the trade off of a super gripy tire i think its worth it.

Last edited by ilovecars; 05-14-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2009, 04:15 PM

you dont want to take weight of the front of the car anyway,take weight out from the front seats back . You need weight up front to help you hook the car.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by scott allen
you dont want to take weight of the front of the car anyway,take weight out from the front seats back . You need weight up front to help you hook the car.
yea i know that was actually part of my iffy ness. i dont need anyless grip than i already have.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:28 PM

it really sucks when hot out and rainy. my old lumina didn't have a/c girls haaaattteed it, i'd get all sweaty driving a mile. i had to keep spare clothes in the car
Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM

um, resale?

i voted no.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM

If you want yo gf to ride in your car..... then don't do it. she'll hate you if you do.

/end thread.

Originally Posted by koch1ar
it really sucks when hot out and rainy. my old lumina didn't have a/c girls haaaattteed it, i'd get all sweaty driving a mile. i had to keep spare clothes in the car
i had one too. ac didnt work either... couldnt do anything about it either bc it wasnt even in a spot that could be reached. and yes i hated it.. and yesh i got sweaty...

Last edited by Jmarie619; 05-14-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by KyleMinnis
um, resale?

i voted no.

not something im worried about.

Originally Posted by Jmarie619
If you want yo gf to ride in your car..... then don't do it. she'll hate you if you do.

/end thread.

she always rides in my car and ive never turned on the air.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ilovecars
not something im worried about.

she always rides in my car and ive never turned on the air.
hasnt been hawt yet

and tell me why someone just became a friend of your girlfriend on facebook...

Last edited by Jmarie619; 05-14-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM

I can't believe how big of pussies some of you are. It's only a little heat.

I'm thinking about taking the A/C out of the G sedan.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 PM

If you take it out nobody is ever going to want to buy your car.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 PM

If you want to go faster dig in your pockets,dont tear your car up.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 PM

ITs not a race car. Its an econo box.
Leave it in. It can be cool, but for a balt its unnecessary
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep the A/C Phil, youre going crazy. It doesnt even work at WOT throttle, so youre not losing any power anyway.

Get yourself a AAA membership, then remove your spare tire, lug wrench and jack. Youll lose just as much if not MORE weight that way.

Get a BRAILLE battery, youll drop another 20lbs.

Quick Reply: A/C delete yay or nay?