2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Ebay CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay CAI

anyone got one of those 2.2 cold air intakes that they used to sell on ebay?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Banned

Your better off buying a used one offa this site, in the classifieds. i bought an Aem cold air for 100 bucks.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i remember seeing one in person, it looks nice, and works, but yeah the classifieds here are a good spot to find better brand name intake for a lot cheaper than retail, plus i dont think they sell that intake on ebay no more, i havent seen it, and it hasnt came up on my searches...and i went thru all the pages when i searched "cobalt"...
Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 AM

It probably wont hurt....
Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Jn2

^^^it wont hurt, and it looks just like the AEM one, just doesnt have the option of diffrent colors, and doesnt habe a sticker on it...so it's nice and plain, but it does look nice, and it works fine, and it's only $90 if i remember right, but good luck finiding it...i havent seen it on ebay in months...but i do know than when you get it, yu have to go and buy a new filter cuz the one you get sucks *****, go get a AEM dryflow filter or a K&N
Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 AM

alright guys thanks, guess ill just wait for a good used one to come up.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:18 PM

Yea man there is nothing wrong with the ebay intakes. They do the exact same thing...you just arent paying for the AEM/Fujita or whichever name.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 PM

yeah i know thats why i was seeing if anyone had one. wish they were still sold on ebay.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by steiny69er
yeah i know thats why i was seeing if anyone had one. wish they were still sold on ebay.
your wish is my comand http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-08...spagenameZWDVW

check it out,, and let us know
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 PM

i just messaged the seller, says comes with airfilter and piping nothing about the silicon couplers.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i just messaged the seller, says comes with airfilter and piping nothing about the silicon couplers.
make sure to ask if it has the maf sensor connection, i got one off ebay a while back and it didn't.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM

also check,, bc the maff sensor is way down near the filter (on the pic)
Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Belto
also check,, bc the maff sensor is way down near the filter (on the pic)
I think he has that piece on backwards
Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 PM

alright messaged about all of that, waiting for a reply. I'll let you know when i get a reply about all that. time to go drink!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:29 PM

ok,, interested, in answers, I want 1 too
Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Jn2

yeah that MAF sensor seems like it'd be in the fender, i dotn know if it reaches thatfar, and i think he does have it backwards, cuz the bends on the long piece seem like it belongs in the engine bay, lol, these sellers cant even get god pics, you should tell'm about that and maybe they'll give it to u for free for pointing it out...lol
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this one is the one i got that had no maf sensor connection

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

the one you guys are talking about i believe is this one, i emailed the guy last week and it doesn't have the maf connection either, which is borderline false advertising since it shows the correct maf bung in the pic. damn ebay sellers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-08...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by bluebaltjim; 10-07-2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added
Old 10-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Jn2

weird, i bought from this guy resently, and i got exactly what was shown in the pic, just as it was shown, hmm weird that it wouldnt have one, but if anythingi would buy this and just connect the bottom 1/2 to my gmpp intake to make a CAI GMPP intakes, or should i say convertable GMPP intake, injens got nothin on that, lol...although it does cost more for this, but **** it...

wait wtf, the MAF sensor on the pic if now backwards, the piping is not jacked up, look closely, the MAF spot is by the filter, but look where the hose that connects to the head is at, its on the firsy piece, if anythingi think youd have to pull th MAF sensors wires a bit to makeit reack, probably some cheap attept to make the ECU think its getting colder air, since its reading it within the fender wall b4 it gets warmed by the hat in the engine bay...

Last edited by Jn2; 10-07-2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 AM

It looks like the top pipe is backwards also. Looks like it was just thrown together for the pic.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 AM

This has always amazed me ever since there introduction into the market place and before the OEM manufacturers really gave and effort.

The line COLD AIR INTAKE.

75% of all so-called CAI intakes, the filter is set into the engine bay someplace, On these tuner cars more often then not, on top of wheel wells.

Then plastic is out! OK, maybe a few have the filter located in such a fashion its lower to the ground then others, some shielded within the engine bay where stock ares go through head lights, core support for colder air. Lets look st that.

First plastic versus metals. Metals conduct heat VERY, VERY well where plastics are a better insulator against heat. That tube sits right on top of the motor, or very near it getting hot. Yeah I know, the air moves so fast it doesnt have time to heat up. Yeah, well tell that to your furnace that uses the same exact principle you just told me that, that wouldn't happen. No matter where the filter is located, the rest of that metal tube is acting like a heat exchanger. So much for COLD AIR!!

Then you got the filters within a mist area. OK, you may not see water entering the filter, or see it pick up some mist, would actually be good for the motor internals, but that filter has a METAL SCREEN or could be like AEM's meshless ones. First the metal ones dont use 304 SS, most dont use SS to begin with. IT RUSTS and sooner or later your engine is gonna suck in rust particles. A non metal screened one usually is made of paper and or gauze material. Neither mixes well with moisture and actually begins to absorb it. Ever try sucking air through a sponge????

The engine bay shielded ones take factory air boxes out that are sealed against engine bay heat, made of plastic, air horned to and opening somewhere in the core support and replace it with a shield. The shield is made of metal, right on top of the radiator sides with a filters well within the shield area, no longer pulling air directly through the core support. path of least resistance takes effect. No more COLD AIR.

Then the best part, Flea-Bay Intakes versus the aftermarket. Some guy either copied some after markets intake and or improved the pickup area to a more CAI environment. Bought $5 worth of aluminum tube, a few $2 silicone sleeves, $2 clamps and a filter and didn't add a NAME STICKER and didn't MARK that **** up and over $200, so it must be junk.

Now some factory air systems suck, I'll give you that so a after market CAI would make some sense, but most aren't that way and the Cobalt has one of the best factory intake systems I've ever seen, at least my 07 does.

Starts out with a thick plastic plenumed piece attached to the throttle body. Wont absorb heat and the plenum acts 2 fold. One it covers up some wires and other **** looking parts. Second even though you guys think the plenum is a deterant, it isn't. Smooth pipes do, do better in constant vacuum pulling in air, but you change throttle positions often when driving OR A MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFT. With a tube, changes in throttle positions under vacuum does this. Air rushes towards the engine, you lay off the throttle in some form, under that rush then plate change the air slams the plate that isn't required anymore and begins to rush back out the tube and past the MAF again. The plenum allows for this event, no having to re-suck the air back in which takes time, no second reading from the MAF so its not confused.

Filter box sealed on top of the wheel well, again heavy plastic and a filter within the unit.

Tube of good size goes into a area between the inner fender and outer one. Has more than enough gaps to allow all the air you require to enter the motor. Lessons moisture to a min and the filter not being there will never see any moisture.

Ok it has one drawback and only one.
Few will see the K&N display and say how it flows so much air.
My hats off to K&N!!!
They found the right air PRESSURE, the right ball etc to make brains see how well it can flow over a normal filter. Whats not known, nor told is filter area sizes exceed 2 1/2 times a motors requirement under vacuum. Even with a less flowing ability filter and knowing filters get dirty lessoning the amount of air available, it can flow 2 times the need of the motor CLEAN!!

So whats the drawback. Well normal people dont like to hear a vacuum cleaner running under the hood. And 95% of brains actually think this vacuum noise means performance. So if you dont hear the noise, change it to one that does make noise, IT GIVES YOU PERFORMANCE. Its only drawback is it doesn't sooth the brains requirement for performance.

Side note. Horsepower claims!!!
They took a the worst system a OEM ever made and changed it with theirs. UP TO HORSEPOWER in gains. Yup on a few it did make a difference.
A show that was once aired on Sunday mornings lost all of its after market sponsorship, do you know how?????

They ran a show on K&N systems and went to K&N to show how the systems work and horsepower claims.

Went back to the studio and replicated what they saw to explain.

K&N changed the filter systems to their own. Showed the gains etc, but this one now famous person, Stacy saw something amok, this was before his truck show tat made him famous of sorts. He noticed when with the stock air box and even the K&N system, they ran the vehicles on the dyno with the hoods open!!!!! He went back to the studio and shut the f*cking hoods and ran a comparison. You guess the outcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a 2.2 ebay intake for almost a yr now no problkems at all...but when put the s/c on my car im gonna get a 2.0 injen intake or a 2.0 stock intake
Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 AM

I was trying to locate the disc I had with data logging info, couldn't find it, so I'll summarize another tidbit of info.

Most all made CAI systems have one common trait that makes certain events, gains happen.

They have elbows just before the MAF's.

The smaller arc is ALWAYS on the opposite side of the MAF reading unit.

Because of distance alone, even though path of least resistance applies also, more air volume passes on the inside turn than the outside one. Its not just a little more, its dam near 50% more.
Since more air is entering on the inside turn and the MAF reading unit is placed middle to upper side of the turn, alot of air the intake without the MAF seeing it.

Factory systems always use a box top of sorts that is much larger than the exit tube. This creates a even air flow entering the tube and going through the tube, so is more accurately attuned with MAF readings.

CAI systems from the get go make the motor run leaner. It takes up and over 1000 miles for some ECM's to learn via the 02's and adjust for this. Leaner is meaner !!!!!!!! That another reason for seat of the pants dyno's correlated with vacuum noise brains that sells these things and make believers out of most.

ECM systems for the most part are read and react systems. Meaning a event happens first, then adjustments are made. Hence the learned event.

I had 3 vehicles data logged to prove this happens and the one that scared us was the supercharged one.

Once the ECM had learned the CAI was on there, leaning is still a concern specially with forced inducted applications. As more volume of air enters, air entering speeds increase the percentage of imbalance the MAF doesn't know is happening increases. Once PE is reached the 02's are dropped in useage and the MAF pretty much takes over. With nothing to ever correct the fuel balance at PE stages (O2 useage) and with more percentage not being seen by the MAF, it gets even leaner. I saw all most one point leaner, a vehicle that was tuned previously to the MAF that was 12.2:1 went into the high 13's at first and settled around 13.1:1 after mileage and learning.We had to correct by re-tuning this car so it would see the 12.2:1 which was dyno tuned after the SC was installed for its best balance of power to fuel.

Something to keep in mind for SC adders!!!! Actually everyone since it still happens to some degree. Those whom tune with forced induction using wide bands and CAI's from the get go never see this!!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 PM

the seller replied back and this was his answer to all of that.

it doesn't come with it

- lokakech
Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM

so are you gona buy?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 PM

the seller replied back and this was his answer to all of that.

it doesn't come with it

- lokakech
I'ld bet the seller has no clue what a MAF is.

Quick Reply: Ebay CAI