Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GRAVANA Stainless Air Intake System

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica..._Intake_System

Old 03-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Its a nice WAI for those that want to dress up their engine bay i guess. I'm gonna stick with a K&N rechargable drop in filter myself.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:00 PM

You see where that open cone is placed.. In the back or to the side... Over there it's not getting enough cold air.. It's basicaly sucking up the heat from the egine..

Correct me if I am wrong....?!!.....

Yeah, the rechargable filter from KnN sound about right for me to... Also Cavy has giving me some ideas also if I choose to go that way!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Thats cool, id rather have CAI though. Pimp to see this stuff is starting to come out.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by CoolCobalt_NY
You see where that open cone is placed.. In the back or to the side... Over there it's not getting enough cold air.. It's basicaly sucking up the heat from the egine..

Correct me if I am wrong....?!!.....

Yeah, the rechargable filter from KnN sound about right for me to... Also Cavy has giving me some ideas also if I choose to go that way!
I don't know, I think it would suck in all the air coming in around the headlight assembly. It won't get all wet either like the ones that mount down by the ground. I think it will be an improvement over stock, but the price seems kinda steep for what it is.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 PM

I have spoken to Cavy about this also...

The air box, the top part of it that gets connected to the intake hose, has a sensor on it... I would LOVE just to take out the whole box and put a cone right there.... But where would I put that sensor .. WITHOUT making holes anywhere else!!!! (( Remember, I'm smart buying the car. It's realy not mine!!))

The one thing I did think of is dropping in a KnN flat filter that fits right into that box!

If anyone else has any ideas... Post them.. I'd like to see or read what people would do...

OK Cavy.. I have spoken to you.....!!! lolol
Old 03-09-2005, 01:47 PM

Guys, why don't you see if the AEM intake for the saturn ION fits your cobalt? Here are some pics of my AEM intake. Judge for yourself. I think it might fit. The only thing I would see wrong with it, would be the mounting locations that could possibly be different.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:54 PM

saturnd00d :::::::::::::::: nice pics!!... Don't you suck up water though??? I mean it's pointing down into the wheel well!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Unless it isolated from everything else it probably doesn't suck up water. It should be in an area where its away from the engine but covered up by the plastic parts or metal parts whatever. This is too hard to explain......

Check these out.
intake setup

Or

This might be what saturndood has and this is what you are shooting for.
Cold air intake

Do not do this.
How not to setup a CAI

This is what you are trying to aviod. As we all know this causes problems
Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 AM

I can't wait to see what the K&N setup looks like.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:47 AM

saturnd00d :::::::::::::::: nice pics!!... Don't you suck up water though??? I mean it's pointing down into the wheel well!!!!!!
Yeah, this is more of a myth everyone on auto boards freaks out about. A CAI does suck up air in large amounts, but it is not a vaccuum sucking straight out of a pond (best analogy I could think of )

I had a CAI in my ecotec Alero that was actually resting on the plastic under body piece in front of the left front tire. It was there 365 days a year, That includes Canadian winters in the snow. And I drive 100KM round trip every day.

The intake was on for 35 000KM and I drove though all weather conditions and never sucked up anything (other then Honda's )

CAI is the way to go!
Old 03-10-2005, 11:24 AM

I've had no issues, even driving through heavy downpour. I do avoid those huge ass puddles, or in the event I have to drive through them, I drive slowly.

By the way MikeSS, I live just outside of Hamilton, Ontario myself, and you can vouch for us that we have some bad winters up here.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM

Where's the $30 ebay intake kits when you need them
Old 03-10-2005, 12:34 PM

Hmmmmm I think if I'm going to do anything like this... It's probably going to be either drop in a KnN filter right in the box..... OR take the box off and put a cone and figure out where to put that dammmmmm sensor! Orrrr nothing at all.. lol
Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 AM

Drop in K&N for me... i wish I had the pic of the honda that had the intake pipe come out from under the bumper, and turn up, with a cone infront of the bumper!!! Talk about stupid people in this world...
Old 03-11-2005, 07:11 PM

here is my 2 cents. I have a Vibe GT that has a CAI, i have had it for 2 years and have had no problems. but i stay out of deep puddles. here is a pic of my fathers piston and connecting rod after i drove it through what i thought was a shallow puddle

OUCH! good thing his insurance paid for it.

If you use a drop in you might get 5 hp, versus a CAI that might give you 8. I'm sure a Sort Ram which are the ones that are in the engine bay would also give you 5 hp. the one big difference is the sound you get from not using the orginal air box. so i guess you have to consider 5 hp or 8hp, and easeof install and in your case like mine (my vibe is a lease) i plan on taking my air pipe out and putting the old air box back in . I plan on selling it thou to towards my next cars CAI.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:21 PM

Yeah I like the idea of the short ones as well.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by sharky_9901
If you use a drop in you might get 5 hp, versus a CAI that might give you 8. I'm sure a Sort Ram which are the ones that are in the engine bay would also give you 5 hp.
I wouldn't say a drop-in filter gives you 5hp, more like 1 or 2hp. It's only a filter. The restrictive ABS pipe that draws in air from outside is still a small diameter pipe, and the air still has to flow in the restrictive piping from the filter to the T/B. A Short ram might give you 4hp or so, but a CAI is where it's at. I was also only going to use a drop in when I got my ION, but let's not kid ourselves here, if your looking for the most power, a drop in or short ram will not give that to you.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the link man. My LS Coupe whith sport package in arrival blue should be here (Italy) in mid june. Can't wait to put it on the Autostrada. I'm stationed overseas and it hard to find out about these sites for accessories..............thanks again.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 PM

Again.. I repeat my self with this question.....

Look at that picture...... The Cone filter is BASICALY pointing backwards... Not only that, it's MOST LIKELY sucking up all that heat from the engine...

Am I wrong by thinking this????

I think you'll get the most air if the firlter was some where in the front instead of near the back of the engine compartment!...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?????<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 03-15-2005, 09:05 PM

Coolcobalt....... the designers of these systems try to put the intake in the coolest area of the engine compartment. They just don't place them where they look nice or where there standard parts will put it. I've yet to be able to climb inside the Cobalt’s engine compartment, but the Cavs has an opening in the wheel well for the air intake. When you removed all 20+ lbs of the air intake the engine looked tinny. So I would tend to say the designers placed the intake at the best location other than going outside the engine compartment
Old 03-15-2005, 11:33 PM

The air intake for the 2.2L The box i mean, is like right behind the head light on the left hand side.. {{{{ if you were looking down onto the engine compartment }}}} Now I have seen just the top of that box.. I don't know if there is an opening also by the wheel well!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:53 PM

in the Cavs the air box was just the top of the whole air intake system. below the airbox was a whole mix of piping and eventually it went out thru the wheel well. I don't know if theis is the same for the Balt but I have seen this design on several other GM cars.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:33 PM

Look at that picture...... The Cone filter is BASICALY pointing backwards... Not only that, it's MOST LIKELY sucking up all that heat from the engine...

Am I wrong by thinking this????

I think you'll get the most air if the firlter was some where in the front instead of near the back of the engine compartment!...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?????<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
How is right behind the headlight the back of the engine compartment?
Old 03-25-2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by rm25x
How is right behind the headlight the back of the engine compartment?

Hmmmm... OK I can see that working...! Here is the next question to this tho..

If it's right behind the headlight, it's basicly not getting a clear breath of air (if you would) !!! ?????

It looks like I'm going to sit back a while and see what everyone else comes up with...

LET ME ADD... THE top of the air box, the MASS AIRFLOW sensor is built into it i looks like...!! Look at my pictures of my engine... You see the wire coming right out of that!!....!
http://www.digitalchest.com/CobaltPics.html

Quick Reply: GRAVANA Stainless Air Intake System