2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

JBP Vortex Catback Exhaust (not the header)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBP Vortex Catback Exhaust (not the header)

I have been looking and listening to exhaust systems for the balt for a few days now, started with the most popular (vibrant, hahn) but I didn't like how they rasp when in WOT. I like a more subtle muffled sound. When I heard the jbody exhaust I fell in love, it sounds sooooooo nice and low and gets louder when rev'd but never has the obnoxiously loud sound many of the aftermarket exhausts have.

I was just wondering if anybody has the JBP exhaust and could post a driveby soundclip or vid, or give any comments on it. I was also wondering if anybody knows any other exhaust sysems that have that same low, clean, muffled sound to them.

TIA!

Last edited by James Rayth; 02-17-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:58 PM

I can't really help you with either, as I've never heard them... but I'll warn you now, there will be a lot of people in here in a few minutes bashing JBP over that damn header.
For some reason people seem to think it still doesn't fit right...
Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by James Rayth
I have been looking and listening to exhaust systems for the balt for a few days now, started with the most popular (vibrant, hahn) but I didn't like how they rasp when in WOT. I like a more subtle muffled sound. When I heard the jbody exhaust I fell in love, it sounds sooooooo nice and low and gets louder when rev'd but never has the obnoxiously loud sound many of the aftermarket exhausts have.

I was just wondering if anybody has the JBP exhaust and could post a driveby soundclip or vid, or give any comments on it. I was also wondering if anybody knows any other exhaust sysems that have that same low, clean, muffled sound to them.

TIA!
I have the full JBP "Vortex" setup. If you would like info, pm me. I will not post about it here.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up Omega.

I'm not getting the vortex header, just the exhaust.

There. =)

And there are sound clips of it at the bottom of this page.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:05 AM

Ah... i thought the Vortex was referring to the header...
Old 02-17-2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
Ah... i thought the Vortex was referring to the header...
Well, they're pretzel header is technically part of the "Vortex" system, so you're not really wrong...
Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 AM

Well there's the "vortex" header, then the "vortex" cabtack exhaust. If you want to hook the exhaust up to the header you have to buy their header which comes with the downpipe and cat; but I don't. I just want the catback. =)
Old 02-17-2008, 12:09 AM

1000 for a cat-back??? Thats INSANE!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 AM

Money isn't an issue. The quality looks very good and I haven't found anything with that sound yet, and its exactly what I'm looking for. So yeah, I'm just wondering if anybody else knows any other systems that have that kind of a sound, or if anybody has experience with that exhaust system.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 AM

have you heard corsa?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 AM

Nope
Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 AM

Maybe check out the ZZP exhaust.... it's a quiet 3" and it's cheaper...
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...ts1.php?id=804

There is a video at the bottom of the page.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:42 AM

Yeah that ZZP sounds ok, not quite perfect, but for half the price is definitely something to consider. Do you know if it will bolt up to the factory cat? Their description says it will hook up to their downpipe, but I don't want to mess with that until I get my turbo kit in, so for now I just want a catback.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 AM

i have the corsa touring, and got pulled over for noise. i was WOAT at the time , mind you.
http://www.corsaperf.com/autohome.htm

my neighbor is a stang guy, and also has a lightning, and he said mine is the first 4 banger exhaust that didnt annoy him, nice low tone.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:47 AM

Yeah that ZZP sounds ok, not quite perfect, but for half the price is definitely something to consider. Do you know if it will bolt up to the factory cat? Their description says it will hook up to their downpipe, but I don't want to mess with that until I get my turbo kit in, so for now I just want a catback.
Call them. They can let you know what you need to know.

Kyla is really nice to deal with.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 AM

[QUOTE=firestorm;1967440]i have the corsa touring, and got pulled over for noise. i was WOAT at the time , mind you.[QUOTE]

Well that worries me a little. I like the low sound, but I still want it pretty subdued under WOT. Think of a BMW M5 idle and under WOT, it sounds wonderful. Low and rumbly, but under WOT it is still moderate. You know its got some power under the hood, but it doesn't demand everybody's attention.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by firestorm
i have the corsa touring, and got pulled over for noise. i was WOAT at the time , mind you.
http://www.corsaperf.com/autohome.htm

my neighbor is a stang guy, and also has a lightning, and he said mine is the first 4 banger exhaust that didnt annoy him, nice low tone.
Wow. 3 inch? and where did you get pulled over? I'm pullin my cat, I can't imagine how loud its going to be, wonderin if I'll get pulled over...

[QUOTE=James Rayth;1967466][QUOTE=firestorm;1967440]i have the corsa touring, and got pulled over for noise. i was WOAT at the time , mind you.

Well that worries me a little. I like the low sound, but I still want it pretty subdued under WOT. Think of a BMW M5 idle and under WOT, it sounds wonderful. Low and rumbly, but under WOT it is still moderate. You know its got some power under the hood, but it doesn't demand everybody's attention.
You're gonna have a hell of a time getting a proper throaty tone at high rpms with a 4 banger like this. just not enough displacement.

Last edited by Pickles; 02-17-2008 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-17-2008, 01:13 AM

A grand for a catback, are you outta' your damn mind! Get some custom bent pipe, a 3" resonator, and a magnaflow muffler since that is all that JBP "VORTEX" crap is!

I have a 2.5" custom Magnaflow setup cost me $275.00 ZZP Downpipe $150.00 Custom Ported manifold FREE from a buddy! So I spent less than $500 and got an entire header back exhaust!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
A grand for a catback, are you outta' your damn mind! Get some custom bent pipe, a 3" resonator, and a magnaflow muffler since that is all that JBP "VORTEX" crap is!

I have a 2.5" custom Magnaflow setup cost me $275.00 ZZP Downpipe $150.00 Custom Ported manifold FREE from a buddy! So I spent less than $500 and got an entire header back exhaust!
Thank You.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:01 AM

Ever look at hahns catback is around 500ish.. can be pretty loud though, but has a really sweet tone to it.. its also a 3 inch catback..
Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 AM

I'm not out of my mind, but I will pay more for something that is what I want. I have heard lots of feedback on JBP's system, which makes me kind of sad, but lets not linger on that.

So, I'm hearing a good resonator and muffler put on a 2.5 or 3" system, if done right, will give the lower more muffled sound?

As for a 4 banger sounding like rice, even though people love to get hung up on the word, I agree... with an exception. Just about all the exhausts I've heard sound too tinney and raspy under WOT, but look at the SRT4's stock exhaust. Those cars sounded very nice. They were still a TINY bit harsh under WOT, but I bet a resonator would have cleaned that right up.

So perhaps with that as an example, or by listening to the sound clips on JBP's site (whether that is how their product sounds or not), you guys may have a better idea what I'm after.

Anyway, love the advice so far, more is always appreciated too! =)

Originally Posted by Cobalt4Life
Ever look at hahns catback is around 500ish.. can be pretty loud though, but has a really sweet tone to it.. its also a 3 inch catback..
Sure did, by your original recommendation actually.

I like their idle sound, but it gets so loud under WOT. I was thinking of maybe seeing if they'd throw in a res or different muffler to try and dampen the WOT sound. I like the low and rumbly, just not the loudness and raspyness.

Last edited by James Rayth; 02-17-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 AM

I'm not out of my mind, but I will pay more for something that is what I want. I have heard lots of feedback on JBP's system, which makes me kind of sad, but lets not linger on that.

So, I'm hearing a good resonator and muffler put on a 2.5 or 3" system, if done right, will give the lower more muffled sound?

As for a 4 banger sounding like rice, even though people love to get hung up on the word, I agree... with an exception. Just about all the exhausts I've heard sound too tinney and raspy under WOT, but look at the SRT4's stock exhaust. Those cars sounded very nice. They were still a TINY bit harsh under WOT, but I bet a resonator would have cleaned that right up.

So perhaps with that as an example, or by listening to the sound clips on JBP's site (whether that is how their product sounds or not), you guys may have a better idea what I'm after.

Anyway, love the advice so far, more is always appreciated too! =)

I like their idle sound, but it gets so loud under WOT. I was thinking of maybe seeing if they'd throw in a res or different muffler to try and dampen the WOT sound. I like the low and rumbly, just not the loudness and raspyness.
Keep in mind, the srt4 sound can probably be attributed to the dual mufflers...

Just make sure you research what you want real carefully. And talk to a vendor lots before you give them any money.

Remember, you really only get good, true low tones at high engine load and rpm with more displacement...

Last edited by Pickles; 02-17-2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 AM

Oh I hadn't considered the dual mufflers having a variance on the sound. Well damn.

And I am definitely researching my ass off. =) That is what started this thread in the first place, I want to make sure I am getting something that I'll be satisfied with. I do like the sound of the ZZP exhaust, may end up going that route if nobody has any positive experiences with the JDP. Either that or I'll ask Bill if they could add a resonator/muffler to dampen the sound some. I've been very impressed with Hahn so far.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:15 AM

Or go Magnaflow since that is actually what creates the note you are looking for!
Old 02-17-2008, 02:30 AM

Oh I hadn't considered the dual mufflers having a variance on the sound. Well damn.

And I am definitely researching my ass off. =) That is what started this thread in the first place, I want to make sure I am getting something that I'll be satisfied with. I do like the sound of the ZZP exhaust, may end up going that route if nobody has any positive experiences with the JDP. Either that or I'll ask Bill if they could add a resonator/muffler to dampen the sound some. I've been very impressed with Hahn so far.
I doubt you will find any good experiences, except maybe with the cams, but thats not something I am going to risk.

What you want to work off with exhaust, is that the tone is determined by flow, and baffles.

The wider the diameter, the louder the tone. But going wider with a small displacement engine will only magnify the sound of the combustion, (which with our engines, is almost always going to be raspy, because of the low displacement.) The only thing you can really do to decrease the ricey sound of an exhaust if you want to stay with a really wide diameter, is increase the amount of baffles the air has to pass through on the way out. This is where the srt-4's have a nicer sound. Alternatively, you can try a dual out muffler like what i pm'd you.

Quick Reply: JBP Vortex Catback Exhaust (not the header)