2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Just another 2.2L going turbo thread!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another 2.2L going turbo thread!!!!!

New pics added, post#40.

Alright, i've been wanting to turbo my car since the day i got it, now it's finally happening. I know a great deal about this stuff but am always open to suggestions.
This build will be done in stages, my main goal at this point is to get the turbo on and the car up and running on lower boost, then upgrade as i need to, to support the amount of boost i will be runnig at the time....

What i have,

Turbonetics T3/T4 50 trim journal bearing big shaft turbo.
Hahn Intercooler (modified for my build)
Vulcan Equal length Turbo Manifold
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV (may trade for an HKS), not sure yet,lol...
Innovate Wideband, Oil, Boost, Gauges
ZZP 3 gauge pod
Gm Stg 2 injectors(in the mail)
Various fittings, flanges, silicone hoses, oil feed and return lines, intercooler piping and stainless 2.5 tubing for the downpipe.
Spec stg 2+ Clutch Kit
Trifecta tuning (need to order)
I will update my plans and add more pics as i go. My plan is 2 be runnig by the end of april. This damn thread better have a happy ending,lol.....
wish me luck

As for my plans, and reasons behind the parts i have. I got a good buy on the turbo, came from an SRT4, and it made that car haul ass, he went to and even bigger turbo and sold me this one cheap. The equal length header was chosen mostly because of how it positions the turbo, the fact that it will improve spool time, and it is just plain badass!!! ,lol...
The hahn intercooler was a lucky find really, i got it for a good price and it is perfect for the way i am rnning my piping.... I am running the hot side piping under the engine. 2 1/4 pipe from turbo to intercooler, out of intercooler 2 1/2 piping then to 3 inch before TB.
I'm will be runnig about 7lb of boost to begin with, then when i get tired of that and **** some more money, i will upgrade the engine and drivetrain, then who knows where it will go,lol... I have now real power goal for the initial setup, i just want it to run right, be relialbe, and make me a fuzzy inside,lol..... So here's some pics. All just test fitting for now, but as my parts come in, i will be installing them... I still need to find someone close to me that can weld aluminum and stainless....

Last edited by b_faulk75; 04-07-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 AM

dam i wish i new a little bit more on FI i want to do this so bad.....how much for your whole bild?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 AM

Haven't reallty added it up yet, but more than i wanted to spend so far,lol....
Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice sexy equal length mani good luck!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Yep, that's definitely a nice manifold. Surprised you went with that one at first, but then after I saw the turbo, I see why you went with it. Yeah, that turbo is definitely not going to be happy til later down the road. That 7 lbs is going to hit late and hard, wheelspin like crazy I'm thinking. No way to know for sure til you get it on the road!

Good luck, hopefully you all have learned from my mistakes by now. With you being a GM tech, maybe you can teach us something about rebuilding that engine, as that's my next step once I get this paid off.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 AM

nice parts man!

just one question. whats with the little bit of pipe actually welded to the turbo it looks like...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, this turbo on the SRT got to full spool by about 3200 rpms and pulled hard throughout the powerband, it was running about 15lbs on it, i know it's not going to like 7 lbs at all. But it should be ok as long as i don't floor it all the time.... With this setup, i should be able to do anything this car will ever need and then some. I will know in the next few weeks. The little 90 welded to it is something AGP does when they put this turbo on the SRT, it will work great cause my piping is running under the car. Asfor me rebuilding my engine, i'm hoping not to have to do that for a few months, since this little adventure has drained my bank account, but i will pass on any tips or stuff i can along the way!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:33 AM

nice whats done so far?
that intercooler sits nicly!
i wanna run fogs but the pipe is in the way
if you plan to run 3" exhaust your gonna have to remove that heat sheild onyour tranny mount.
i had to.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 AM

I'm just guessing from the looks of the exhaust housing. That thing looks absolutely massive.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Wait that's a 2.2l? Where did you get the bumper for it?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansalazan
Wait that's a 2.2l? Where did you get the bumper for it?
Its a SS bumper with the RK lip molded onto it.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM

It's a .63 a/r exhaust housing. As for the tranny mount, i had to take it off to try to figure out the exhaust routing, it will actually only be a 2 1/2 inch ss exhaust down pipe with a high flow cat, the exhaust outlet on the turbo is only 2.5, i'd like to run 3", but thier simply is not enough room where the exhaust comes out of the turbo, i will be lucky to fit the 2.5.

My fogs will stay, the good part about this intercooler is that it only has 2 1/4 inlet and outlets so i can run the smaller pipe and clear the fogs, still gonna be tight.

As for what's done so far, NOTHING!!!! Alot of things are happening, but nothing is done. I am still waiting on my fittings, oilfeed and returns from vulcan, as soon as they show up, alot will start to get completed, most of the charge piping is done, i need a few spots welded, also need to figure out what bov i want to use, i have the tial 50mm in hand, a friend has an extra HKS that i may make a deal with him for, not sure yet,lol....

Well off the garage for a while gotta get something done and stop talking about it, lol....
Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Nice gauges.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
Nice gauges.
Thanks, i decided to go with the analog instead of the digital for the WB, i think it looks nice too....
Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
It's a .63 a/r exhaust housing. As for the tranny mount, i had to take it off to try to figure out the exhaust routing, it will actually only be a 2 1/2 inch ss exhaust down pipe with a high flow cat, the exhaust outlet on the turbo is only 2.5, i'd like to run 3", but thier simply is not enough room where the exhaust comes out of the turbo, i will be lucky to fit the 2.5.

My fogs will stay, the good part about this intercooler is that it only has 2 1/4 inlet and outlets so i can run the smaller pipe and clear the fogs, still gonna be tight.

As for what's done so far, NOTHING!!!! Alot of things are happening, but nothing is done. I am still waiting on my fittings, oilfeed and returns from vulcan, as soon as they show up, alot will start to get completed, most of the charge piping is done, i need a few spots welded, also need to figure out what bov i want to use, i have the tial 50mm in hand, a friend has an extra HKS that i may make a deal with him for, not sure yet,lol....

Well off the garage for a while gotta get something done and stop talking about it, lol....
Why would you trade a TiaL for a HKS? You have the superior bov, unless you just wanted to get a cheaper one and get some money back out of the deal.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sentry
Why would you trade a TiaL for a HKS? You have the superior bov, unless you just wanted to get a cheaper one and get some money back out of the deal.
I'm staying with the tial, i was watching some stuff on youtube last night and people were talkin smack on the tial, saying it doesn't work that well, and causes compressor surging and blah,blah. Had me second guessing my decision for a minute. But it don't matter what op say, i'm gonna run it for now and make my own opinion of it!

FYI everyone, don't try to bend or tweak your aluminum iintercooler piping using a traditional pipe bender, the outcome is UGLY,lol....
Got my bov and all of my intercooler piping installed or atleast figured out today, i still need a few couplers to make it complete, i'll post some pics of the piping when i get it completed.
I need those oil feed and return lines, hope they show up soon,lol....

Last edited by b_faulk75; 03-29-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good luck man, def a nice manifold, brian knows what he's doing whem making these things, def pieces of art
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 PM

nice man, I'm still having trouble saving up money to turbo my car. unfortunately college is a priority...damn college.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM

Few new pics added to original post, just test fitting, but you get the idea!!! Look how tight the turbo outlet is from the trans mount,lol, gonna be fun to deal with that, really my biggest obstacle at this point.....
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Jn2

so u getting that saab manifold? ur not using that aluminum pipe for your downpipe are you? also add another 1/4" to it bc the flange is not paper thin :p so it may still hit under load, u may want to wrap the downpipe so protect ur tranny mount
Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 PM

Saab manifold= yes, but im just trying to get everything hooked up and running for now, i will upgrade as necessary.

Downpipe= No im not using aluminum pipe, that was just for reference to show how tight the fit is... im using stainless, i knew someone would say that, lol.... I may end up wrapping the downpipe, looks like i will have to remove some material from the mount itself to get everything fitting properly. I am making a heat shield for the mount and axle boot....

flange = got it already, i know. I was looking for some tight radius 90s to make the downpipe, only thing i can find is from vibrant and they are uber expensive... I will figure something out. Soon, i hope!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Jn2

atpturbo has really tight 90* piping, i know i was lookinginto it aswell, they actual use piping from a u and cut it just right to make a tigh as hell 90* turn

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=MDP

yes they can make it in any pipe diameter, send them a email, i know bc i emailed them on making me a 2.5" one, and they can put the bungs were ever u need them to go, and no u dont have to use a flex, makes it cheaper w/out it :p just send them a email tell u want that but in xx size w/out flex sharpest 90* turn they can make...they respond to email pretty good, well 1 email/day

Last edited by Jn2; 04-02-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM

Lookin good man, like the way you are running your piping. Looks all original
Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM

Yea i saw that also, but how my pipe needs to run is similar to hahns down pipe, it will have to be like 3 90 degree bends welded together to make the loop into the stock exhaust tunnel. I already purchaces a 2.5 ss 135 degree bend from atp, i cut it and i think i can make it work, i am just going to order a u-j bend and try to use the 90's from that to get the general shape, i think with the 2 90's and 135 bend, i will be set. Thanks for the input !!!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
muhahaha soo not only sexy but fast now huh.. i'm definitely looking forward to this

Quick Reply: Just another 2.2L going turbo thread!!!!!