2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

(MAFS) do I need it, or can I go without it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(MAFS) do I need it, or can I go without it??

[body]I designed and made my own Intake for my 06 Cobalt RM (LT, if you want to get tech..) The intake is air tight, (i check it) and i designed a port for the MAFS to fit it (with a little help from crack sealer) I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and I hooked everything back up with my intake and the MAFS. The car idals weired, almost dying, **** that, so i disconnected the MAFS and reset the computer again and the car runs fine with my intake on it. So the question is, do i need the MAFS connected or what?????

thanks guys
Old 06-12-2006, 12:29 AM

wow....um, yea you need it. Your car is sputtering and idleing all funny cause it doesnt know how much fuel to give it cause it doesnt know how much air its recieving, but it back on and leave it on !?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 AM

Make sure it is fading the right direction. there should be an arrow on it representing the direction of air flow.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 AM

No the car was idiling weird with it in, but when i disconnected it runs fine, and i did put the mafs in the right way, so i guess i will just keep the dame thing disconnected, it works better.

thanks for the heads up guys
Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 AM

Old 06-12-2006, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm....i smell engine failure or something else that is NOT good coming from this and GM noticing the cause(botch intake job) and telling you to **** yourself(sorry lang).....using crack sealer is a bad idea because it can destroy the MAFS.....any contaminate can....including touching the sensor itsefl inside the hole on the sensor.....just my $0.02
Old 06-12-2006, 03:12 AM

I was looking on line for a mass air flow sensor(MAFS) for my 06 cobalt LT, and the MAFS is a emission part, so has me belirving that having it disconnected is ok, it just regulates the emission bull ****, so when i do hook it up to my intake, it bogs down the engine because of emission issues, putting to much exhust in the atmosphere, and I also found out that the throttle body has a air intake sensor telling the computer how much air is going it to the engine, plus the intake manifold has sensors for temp. and air flow.

So i do believe that I will be ok if I dont have the MAFS connected, but I could be wrong, please respone and let me know what you think....
Old 06-12-2006, 08:51 AM

i think i wanna see pics of this intake job
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Ryneman.....

The reason your car is idling bad is because you used crack sealer. The sensor is picking up "odor" from the sealer. You need to remove ALL the sealer. Then try using an odorless sealer. The fumes coming off the sealer, are sending bad information to your computer. Then plug the sensor back in, you should be good to go!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 AM

If he's asking if his Computer Controlled Engine needs a sensor that tells it how much air it's receiving then I think he's been sniffing some crack sealer too.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a disaster waiting to happen.

My advice, put your stock air box back on.

Your car is running nomally with the MAF disconnected because your ECM runs in something called "open loop" mode when the engine is cold. This is where the ecm disregards the information being sent to it from its sensors for the first few minutes after your start the engine, and it just runs a pre-set fuel map until the ECM goes closed loop. Its really more a function of the O2 sensor then it is the MAF, but it still make a difference.

And as mentioned above, the MAF is a sensitive and picky sensor. Its uni-directional, and it doesn't like to be touched.

To answer your questions simply, YES, you need your MAF.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
This is a disaster waiting to happen.

My advice, put your stock air box back on.

Your car is running nomally with the MAF disconnected because your ECM runs in something called "open loop" mode when the engine is cold. This is where the ecm disregards the information being sent to it from its sensors for the first few minutes after your start the engine, and it just runs a pre-set fuel map until the ECM goes closed loop. Its really more a function of the O2 sensor then it is the MAF, but it still make a difference.

And as mentioned above, the MAF is a sensitive and picky sensor. Its uni-directional, and it doesn't like to be touched.

To answer your questions simply, YES, you need your MAF.
Listen to this man before you do any more damage.

Remember what they say about ASSuming
Old 06-12-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SS33
Remember what they say about ASSuming
to assume is to make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'

=)
Old 06-12-2006, 07:19 PM

your gonna blow up your engine if you think you can drive without a maf. you gotta be on crack. you might as well run an open intake while your at it and go all the way to **** my car ville
Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ryneman
it just regulates the emission bull ****
actually no, the mass air flow sensor meters how much air is entering the engine. it then adds or subtracts fuel based on the reading provided by the maf. if your maf is not giving correct readings then your engine may not be receiving the correct amount of fuel which will lead to crappy performance.

that is one thing you don't want to mess with because it is an important piece to your car operating properly, ask the SS/SC guys what happens when they have maf issues. limp mode up the ass.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:01 AM

leave your maf in man. its a vital part part of the fuel injection system. in order for the motor to run proporly the computer has to know 1 thing, AIR FLOW! once is knows that it can regulate the proper amount of fuel and spark timing. Without it ur throwin air in at WOT and the motor is just like WTF is goin on??!?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:23 PM

still waiting for photos
Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, but i figured what was wrong, I put the MAFS in paralle with the intake,

O-------I------------0 (how i did it the first time)
l l l
l l l
l MAFS lTrottle body
l
l
lIntake filter

0---------~---------0 (how it is now)

Everything works great................ I am dumb ass....... Please some one shot me

----------~0sefhshfsh
Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 AM

I'm still confused.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 AM

I still think your a dumb ass for makeing your own intake, If you cant afford to pay for a properly researched product you shouldn't mess with your 20 thousand dollar car.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 AM

unless you wanna massively F*** your engine up i would keep it...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Taro
I still think your a dumb ass for makeing your own intake, If you cant afford to pay for a properly researched product you shouldn't mess with your 20 thousand dollar car.
Where to start,

A) He's a ******* for thinking his car was okay without the MAF sensor, not for making his own intake.

B) Just because you pay more money for something does not always make it better. In fact alot of times you pay that money for little more than a name on the product. SO don't discourage people from being inginuitive.

I could have afforded aftermarket headlights, but I wanted to do them myself, the decision had nothing to do with my financial status. And I am glad that I did them myself, things like that allow you to take pride in your car. Buying parts on e-bay then bolting them to your car doesn't make you an expert.

With that out of the way, the guy may very well be a *******, and if you don't know what a MAF sensor does you probably shouldn't be messing with things in or around your engine. But being able to afford parts has nothing to do with this thread, or any other for that matter
Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Well to start with DIY headlights are one story but and intake is another, if he didnt realize he needed the MAF sensor then i dont think he should be making his own intake. And abviously he wants to mod his car so why not save up and get a well made prodect that wont screw your car as well as your warrenty over.

Originally Posted by SS33
Where to start,

A) He's a ******* for thinking his car was okay without the MAF sensor, not for making his own intake.

B) Just because you pay more money for something does not always make it better. In fact alot of times you pay that money for little more than a name on the product. SO don't discourage people from being inginuitive.

I could have afforded aftermarket headlights, but I wanted to do them myself, the decision had nothing to do with my financial status. And I am glad that I did them myself, things like that allow you to take pride in your car. Buying parts on e-bay then bolting them to your car doesn't make you an expert.

With that out of the way, the guy may very well be a *******, and if you don't know what a MAF sensor does you probably shouldn't be messing with things in or around your engine. But being able to afford parts has nothing to do with this thread, or any other for that matter
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM

I agree
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM

You guys need to lay off. So maybe there was a lack of information, but at least they had the ***** and creativity to create thier own custom piece instead of going out and buying what everyone else pays too much for.

Quick Reply: (MAFS) do I need it, or can I go without it??