2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

My Sad Turbo Update =(

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Sad Turbo Update =(

Well i asked frank about the model of the turbo, he told me garrett at first, i asked him again and mentioned i how SS autochrome doesnt provide garrett and he told me it was a garrett imitation, but it was excellent quality. I almost flipped my lid but instead i just asked for my money back.

He is a really nice guy as far as i can tell, but listing a product that is GENERIC as a brand name product is misleading and in some cases can constitute as fraud.

I mean how would i have looked telling people i have an authentic garrett t3 turbo when i really had an SS autochrome imitation.

I may deal with him in the future, but not with that turbo charger system, i just cant trust the integrity.

Edit** I plan on still getting a turbo when another vendor produces one.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sux man. I'm sure you will be able to find another one within the next couple months
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 PM

That truly sucks and speaks very nrgatively about this vendor. Do it right and stick with a big established name like Hahn or GMPP.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by FLCobalt
Well i asked frank about the model of the turbo, he told me garrett at first, i asked him again and mentioned i how SS autochrome doesnt provide garrett and he told me it was a garrett imitation, but it was excellent quality. I almost flipped my lid but instead i just asked for my money back.

He is a really nice guy as far as i can tell, but listing a product that is GENERIC as a brand name product is misleading and in some cases can constitute as fraud.

I mean how would i have looked telling people i have an authentic garrett t3 turbo when i really had an SS autochrome imitation.

I may deal with him in the future, but not with that turbo charger system, i just cant trust the integrity.

Edit** I plan on still getting a turbo when another vendor produces one.
Why don't you just buy a Garret Turbo, doesn't matter what flange and get the Turbo header done up with a custom flange to mount it?

Turbo Kits are useless, you can piece together a system that works for WAY less than a kit, and still maintain excelent quality... can't be afraid to get your hands dirty though.

Trust me, years of expirence in Turbododges will show you to the promised land of cheap speed.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

good luck with your hunt.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:13 PM

Like Leafy said, make your own kit. It will be a dirty job but it might be as much money also maybe even more. But do it anyway!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:23 PM

i was thinking about that, but i dont really know all that much about turbo systems, not enough to feel comfortable enough to piece together my own atleast.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:34 PM

they may not have been the only generic thing in his kit (ie: the ic piping)...remember his kit has never been installed on a cobalt so nobody knows for sure how it does and doesn't work.

however, u could have purchased a turbo elsewhere and bought the rest of his system without the turbo...if you really want it that is.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

when you were asking about turbos before you bought one, didn't a bunch of people tell you not to trust frank because he's sneaky and underhanded?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Banned

that sux though... and at least you're getting your money back!!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 PM

You mentioned the word Frank? Would it happen to be Maximum Boost? If so, the only thing I can say is...there is a reason he is banned from this forum.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by FLCobalt
i was thinking about that, but i dont really know all that much about turbo systems, not enough to feel comfortable enough to piece together my own atleast.
www.thedodgegarage.com

This website, although for Turbododges, is a GREAT resource for anyone wanting to Turbo their car, the principles are essentially the same... if you want to learn, this is a website you NEED to know like the back of your hand.

It will not, however tell you how to turbo a Cobalt, but consider this:

You will need more fuel (injectors)

Oil and coolant feed lines (find out where to tap into them from)

the Turbo of course! (For a 2.0 engine go with a medium sized compressor and hot side housings, and preferably get a turbo with a quick spool option helping boost come on instantly) 600-900 beans for new, 4-500 for rebuilt, LOOK HARD FOR DEALS

a Good flowing shorty header, get a machinist to custom fab a mount matching the turbo you have, make sure it's going to fit back there too!

INTERCOOLER!!!! Very important, look at some FMIC's, an SRT Front mount will fit well in front of our cars, can be had for as little as $300 bucks

Piping for IC and Turbo, intake: You can use exhaust pipe for straight piping, if you want the best results, go mandrel bent for the bends, not essential mind you. Industrial Rad hose works will in replace of expensive silicone reducers, connectors, but silicone looks better. 2.5 inch is plenty for 5-10 PSI.

You will need fuel management, so an MAF translator will be essential too.

if you look around hard enough, you can be under $1500 pieced together yourself.

If I were you, I would talk to BrianMP5T and study his car, ask him questions, as he has put together a remarkable Protege Turbo.

Any other questions feel free.

Sean
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
when you were asking about turbos before you bought one, didn't a bunch of people tell you not to trust frank because he's sneaky and underhanded?
yeah but i spoke with him for over 3 months, and i formulate my own opinions about people. He lives/works only 30 minutes from my house, i was not worried about him screwing me over because we had a clear understanding of what type of person i am when it comes to my money.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:36 AM

i know this may sound gay but if someone could compile a list of items needed for a turbo and the websites/linkns where it can be purchased at, if you can do it for under $1800 with all good products ill paypal you a 100$ for your services =). anyone interested pm me or email me at jbeaumont@leavittmgt.com
Old 02-22-2006, 01:40 PM

Celicacobalt - the disco potato is an excellent choice for an eco. As long as you want to spend the money and run a coolant line, you're going to love it.

As for the turbo kit, get a garrett t3 super 60, an intercooler from johnnyracecar, the manifold from cc-fab (really good mani for $180) Just look around for stuff. You can find a lot of the things you need for cheap.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by boosted2.2
Celicacobalt - the disco potato is an excellent choice for an eco. As long as you want to spend the money and run a coolant line, you're going to love it.

As for the turbo kit, get a garrett t3 super 60, an intercooler from johnnyracecar, the manifold from cc-fab (really good mani for $180) Just look around for stuff. You can find a lot of the things you need for cheap.
are you turboed already? just wondering due to your screen name. where at in pa re you around?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:11 PM

im not trying to go cheap by no means. but im not trying to go TOP TOP of the line either if you know what i mean.

Like if there are 3 exhaust pipes and one is crappy as hell, the next is good and the top one is really really GOOD.

but there isnt a noticable performance difference between the good and the really really GOOD one, except for like a $800 price difference, i would just go with the good one. get what im saying
?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:11 PM

and i think thats everyone.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Leafy
Why don't you just buy a Garret Turbo, doesn't matter what flange and get the Turbo header done up with a custom flange to mount it?

Turbo Kits are useless, you can piece together a system that works for WAY less than a kit, and still maintain excelent quality... can't be afraid to get your hands dirty though.

Trust me, years of expirence in Turbododges will show you to the promised land of cheap speed.
I used to live in TurboDodge land... you can't be afraid to get dirty indeed!!!
(86 Daytona Turbo Z, 89 Shadow ES Turbo sedan, 89 Daytona Shelby Z [group car])

Scott
Old 02-22-2006, 09:14 PM

honestly I would not go custom if you don't have the knowledge, its a very different story building a custom kit for an 89 Dodge and building a custom kit for a brand new car. You can afford to screw up the old car if something goes wrong, and do you have another way of getting around? You can expect your car to be down at certain periods because of your kit...its hardly going to be a piece together and go kind of thing.

there are custom turbocharged Ions that are still messing with their kits after over a year of building them. Just take a realistic approach to this...not saying it can't be done butyou gotta realize whether you're in over your head or not.

Honestly, if you want to be turbocharged that bad, buy the maximum boost kit, purchase yourself another t3 turbo(another $500 maybe), and make the necessary modifications to that kit...atleast your ground work is already laid out for you and you are not wondering what the hell you should be buying. And on top of that, this guy is only 30 min. from you, so if something goes wrong or you need help...show up at his door step. Make him earn your money
Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Adirondack_Cobalt
I used to live in TurboDodge land... you can't be afraid to get dirty indeed!!!
(86 Daytona Turbo Z, 89 Shadow ES Turbo sedan, 89 Daytona Shelby Z [group car])

Scott
Sweet, I had an 89 Daytona ES Turbo I , and an 85 Turbo Z T II which would run with SRT's when healthy.

Reliability as a Daily driver for me, wasn't there. That's why I got the Cobalt.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:11 PM

yeah thats true get the max boost kit then leave out the turbo from it get a nice garrett turbo and use that as a baseline to customize everything else. i had another question, there is supposedly a cobalt specific turbo kit on turbo-kits.com, it looks alot like the max boost kit, are they the same kit?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:30 PM

i tried to tell you man.. he may be a nice guy, but you WILL be happier with a company you can trust. sorry about your scam.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:34 PM

He charges WAY WAY too much for what you get. I don't see why you guys are saying buy it without the turbo. To me that makes no sence. I can buy the parts ( the same thing he sells) for probably about 1200. (that'd be the same as his "stage 2") But what are you going to do for fuel? Have you thought about this. You atleast need an fmu. Problem is a lot of eco's don't go into open loop. So all the fmu's gonna do is raise fuel pressure but the ecu is gonna cut pulse width. If you want a real kit talk to bill hahn. I'm sure he can set you up. His kits put down 220whp on 8 psi on a 16g. They are one of the most reliable kits you can get. And what about tuning? Are you going to dyno or do you want a wideband? With the money you save putting it together you could buy a wideband and tune it yourself. It's also a really good thing to have so you can watch and make sure you don't go lean. Especially if you are running more than 6 psi on stock injectors and/or the stock fuel pump. Just something to think about.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:10 PM

i believe his plan was to run like 4psi of boost as a start, and then add things like fuel modifications as money allows.

I also believe he already has an FMU, or was in the process of purchasing one.

So he would have the maximum boost stage 2 kit with an FMU...right?

the reason i said to buy without the turbo is because hes gonna get it cheaper without the turbo and then he can use his saved money for a nice garrett turbo. But hell if you know where to get it cheaper, hook the guy up.

Since you are boosted I'm guessing you put together your own kit?

Quick Reply: My Sad Turbo Update =(