2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

N/A Cobalt w/ Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow N/A Cobalt w/ Nitrous

Sup! I drive an automatic 07 Balt LS with an Injen CAI and a MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust System. I'd like you guys opinion on a couple of things.

- As we'd all like, I need more power! What is you guys opinion on nitrous? I'm considering installing a wet kit and running no more then 75 shot. Should I do it? If so, what would you recommend I upgrade?

- A member of my team gave me a manual cut-out. Personally, I'd like my Cobalt to be louder and retain a nice sound. Should I have the cut-out installed or not?

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

You can handle a 75 shot of nitrous no problem on stock internals. If you want to go over 75 shot you'll want forged pistons and connecting rods fo sho

And NO CUTOUT, unless you plan to run it on the track, otherwise it will sound like ASS

Last edited by rally; 02-04-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM

Turbo... thats all i got to say, youll prolly spend more money over the life of your car on the NO2 then the Turbo... plus Boost gets you laid.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 07SSCharged248
Turbo... thats all i got to say, youll prolly spend more money over the life of your car on the NO2 then the Turbo... plus Boost gets you laid.
is boost working for u?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:42 PM

dont do teh cut out you will loose more power then gain .. you need the back preasure on the engin... also with a 4cyl it's not worth it...and as far as n20 first run a 50 shot and see how that responds i use a 50 shot with no internal upgrades.. i got a cel once from a 75 shot.. you may wanna install a a/f wideband also
Old 02-05-2007, 04:29 AM

a power adder is the only way you will go fast so its up to you

1) do you need the power all the time?

2) do you mind spending $40.00-$50.00 for a refill?

3) do you mind having to wait for your bottle to warm up (or cool down) for optimal bottle pressure?

over the course of your cars life you may end up spending more on nitrous then turbo but at 1K for a complete nitrous setup and $40-$50 per refill it may take you a while to hit that $4K-$5K complete turbo setup cost.

My opinion is that nitrous is a great addition to power...if your car is already quick without nitrous, once you throw it on it'll put you over the top. However if your car is slow without nitrous (ala 2.2) its like driving two different cars and driving without nitrous becomes boring.

However one thing is that nitrous is one hell of a difference maker...there is nothing short of another power adder that will give you the kind of gains that nitrous will.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
a power adder is the only way you will go fast so its up to you

1) do you need the power all the time?

2) do you mind spending $40.00-$50.00 for a refill?

3) do you mind having to wait for your bottle to warm up (or cool down) for optimal bottle pressure?

over the course of your cars life you may end up spending more on nitrous then turbo but at 1K for a complete nitrous setup and $40-$50 per refill it may take you a while to hit that $4K-$5K complete turbo setup cost.

My opinion is that nitrous is a great addition to power...if your car is already quick without nitrous, once you throw it on it'll put you over the top. However if your car is slow without nitrous (ala 2.2) its like driving two different cars and driving without nitrous becomes boring.

However one thing is that nitrous is one hell of a difference maker...there is nothing short of another power adder that will give you the kind of gains that nitrous will.
He speaketh the truth!!! Driving without nitrous is boring now!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 AM

nitrous doesnt seem worth it imo, turbo is the most efficient way to gain power
Old 02-05-2007, 01:49 PM

hahaha how can you talk efficiency between nitrous and turbo? nitrous is dollar for dollar much easier to make power, and its far more thermally efficient because it uses temperature drops instead of compression to get more air into the motor.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:53 PM

I would have the cut out installed and open it up when at the track spraying.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just curious, can you run nitrous in an automatic or not. Not sure how the trans would respond to it.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by biniecki
just curious, can you run nitrous in an automatic or not. Not sure how the trans would respond to it.
You definetly can. The trans "shouldn't" overheat with the small amount of time you'd be spraying.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:59 PM

i've ran n20 on 2 auto's .. no problem at all.. the trans hold up well, as long as you dont spray when you first jump off the line your ok.. your not supposed to spray in 1st or 2nd anyway...i havent tried it with my auto trans interceptor yet but after this cold i'll have it up and running

-drew
Old 02-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the vital info. If I were to install the cut-out:

- Would it void my warranty?
- Where would I install it on my exhaust? (ie. after/before cat, before muffler, etc.)
Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM

a 75 shot you can run all day long with these motors.The only thing is I recommend getting a duel friction clutch because your clutch is going to take a beating.If its an automatic be prepared after about a year or so to rebuild it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 PM

i think...........hell no on the wet kit. have you not read that your intake manifold is plastic??? do you have a spare one to install when your first intake detonation occurs???do u know HOW to put on another intake manifold?? lol, stay with the dry kit, your less likely to have detonation problems, and, the GM performance book calls for a NX dry kit, so what would make you wanna do say a ZEX wet kit??? if you wanna run safe, stick to the books....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by c0baltic
i've ran n20 on 2 auto's .. no problem at all.. the trans hold up well, as long as you dont spray when you first jump off the line your ok.. your not supposed to spray in 1st or 2nd anyway...i havent tried it with my auto trans interceptor yet but after this cold i'll have it up and running

-drew
have you ever dynod using n20?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 PM

Go nitrous. You wont have the constant shitty gas milage the turbo's gonna give you.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by IonFeright
Go nitrous. You wont have the constant shitty gas milage the turbo's gonna give you.
errr if you can actually keep your foot out of it, a turbo setup is barely going to effect your gas mileage.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
errr if you can actually keep your foot out of it, a turbo setup is barely going to effect your gas mileage.

how does that make sence??? With a turbo you will be using more gas everytime you go into boost. With nitrous if you go threw a bottle a week thats like going into boost 2-3 times a day maybe. I stand with my statement that turbos will eat more gas.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 PM

how does that make sence??? With a turbo you will be using more gas everytime you go into boost. With nitrous if you go threw a bottle a week thats like going into boost 2-3 times a day maybe. I stand with my statement that turbos will eat more gas.
going into boost on a turbo setup is like opening up the bottle. You don't just cruise in boost with an aftermarket turbo setup it is very easy to cruise without being in boost. the difference in mileage is minimal. Plus, you don't have to pay to fill up a turbo every few times ya wanna go fast . If you are keeping the car for a long time and want performance fairly often, a turbo and nitrous system are gonna end up being pretty equal price wise in the long run. Plus you wanna run more fuel with a nitrous setup too, it is very dumb to run stock tune on a decent shot of nitrous.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ransd2054r
i think...........hell no on the wet kit. have you not read that your intake manifold is plastic??? do you have a spare one to install when your first intake detonation occurs???do u know HOW to put on another intake manifold?? lol, stay with the dry kit, your less likely to have detonation problems, and, the GM performance book calls for a NX dry kit, so what would make you wanna do say a ZEX wet kit??? if you wanna run safe, stick to the books....
good luck running a dry shot on a 2.2 on stock injectors

and a simple solution to not blowing your manifold...not spraying before 3K. Spray below that and a blown manifold is not all you have to worry about.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
going into boost on a turbo setup is like opening up the bottle. You don't just cruise in boost with an aftermarket turbo setup it is very easy to cruise without being in boost. the difference in mileage is minimal. Plus, you don't have to pay to fill up a turbo every few times ya wanna go fast . If you are keeping the car for a long time and want performance fairly often, a turbo and nitrous system are gonna end up being pretty equal price wise in the long run. Plus you wanna run more fuel with a nitrous setup too, it is very dumb to run stock tune on a decent shot of nitrous.

I guess my argument is this. I only hit the nitrous a couple times a day if at all. Running a turbo you go into boost a whole lot more than that. In the long run Im sure it would equal itself out in price but I couldnt see myself putting away $50 a week for 80 weeks without going out and buying a nitrous system. I dont have a BOV but I do have a purge
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by c0baltic
dont do teh cut out you will loose more power then gain .. you need the back preasure on the engin... also with a 4cyl it's not worth it.
no not really. you need to find the sweet spot between backpressure and full flow. backpressure at idle to low rpms is better, bad at higher rpms. full flow isnt so great on low end, but awesome up top.

you have to match the exhaust to the engine. running the biggest exhaust doesnt mean more power, same way with guys that run pee shooter exhaust thinking it would increase velocity meaning higher exhaust flow.

so running a cutout at like the track would benefit. but running open downpipe/cutout would suck for everyday driving and be VERY ANNOYING! also this wont pertain to a turbo car, and in my opinion, a turbo car sounds absolutely sick with just a downpipe

this was down in laymans terms
Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 PM

2.2L cobalt w/ nitrous... bad idea, watch the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYf5OIQG8XA

I guess my argument is this. I only hit the nitrous a couple times a day if at all. Running a turbo you go into boost a whole lot more than that. In the long run Im sure it would equal itself out in price but I couldnt see myself putting away $50 a week for 80 weeks without going out and buying a nitrous system. I dont have a BOV but I do have a purge
you spray multiple times a day on the street? GROW UP.

As far as this:Running a turbo you go into boost a whole lot more than that

I disagree. most times when you drive responsibly, you are in vacuum mode or negative boost.

Last edited by chevysalesman614; 05-08-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: N/A Cobalt w/ Nitrous