2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Need exact proceedure in removing SAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need exact proceedure in removing SAI

Yes, I have searched. My car has about 300 miles and the warranty is done. Since I work at a dealership, I have a tech who is my friend and will remove SAI since in Pima county it is perfectly legal

Anyways I know you have to have tech II and you have to change the RPO codes from NU3 to NF4/NT7.

Can someone please reply in detail the steps to flashing out the cali emission menace lol.

Oh and a question to whoever replies, I have 17" rims w/ H rating tires, will doing the tire size flash method screw with my speedo?

Let me know, thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Find OrngBalt, he knows how. He made a thread about it.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 PM

just so you know, the car vin will come up that it is suppsed to have it and if you ever go anywhere else, or give it to someone else for state inspection, IT WILL NOT BE LEGAL. it is a FEDERAL emissions device, and the fines for taking off are not cheep.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the link in my thread.

and BTW BLKLS... no one knows. mine passed inspection without a problem. SAI more than likely does not come on during an inspection.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I *think* you will only notice the SAI difference upon cold start ups.... As long as the car is warm during inspection you should have no issues/questions.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
I *think* you will only notice the SAI difference upon cold start ups.... As long as the car is warm during inspection you should have no issues/questions.
correct
Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM

Sorry I have to be the idiot that asks and I know I'm going to regret this because I'm sure it's something I know and just don't recognize the initials but WFT is the SAI?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
Sorry I have to be the idiot that asks and I know I'm going to regret this because I'm sure it's something I know and just don't recognize the initials but WFT is the SAI?
Secondary air injection I believe it's called? Injects air into the exhaust or something..
Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 PM

OK I know what it is now...

LOL the older V-8's used to have that on it so they could pass the sniffer test lol

Last edited by Tazmanian_Dvl; 12-15-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 PM

it only runs on cold start up. if the vins can be crossreferanced to options then it may come up that your vehicle should have it. if you never changed the emissions sticker under the hood if an inspector looks at the sticker, and it says SAI, and he dosen't se it he'll start asking questions. if he dosen't look at the sticker then they won't know because the ecm ahs been reflashed to not have the option.

so no there is no check engine light, no failure, if you changed the emissions sticker then your probly in the clear.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLKLS
just so you know, the car vin will come up that it is suppsed to have it and if you ever go anywhere else, or give it to someone else for state inspection, IT WILL NOT BE LEGAL. it is a FEDERAL emissions device, and the fines for taking off are not cheep.
Okay, I'm keeping the car since its my first and since I'm dumping so much money into it. Secondly, its illegal to do this in places like Cali or New York and also in Maricopa county aka Phoenix. But, in Tucson we have not adapted to Cali emissions and on top of that, I have friends who work in emissions. They told me as long as no CELs pop up, you are golden.

I'm only doing this to install an LSJ H/D

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
Check the link in my thread.

and BTW BLKLS... no one knows. mine passed inspection without a problem. SAI more than likely does not come on during an inspection.
So according to your post

"So here is the how-to for changing tire size and RPO codes.
1. Connect Tech 2 to car and make link
2. Connect Tech 2 to computer and log into GMDealerworld
3. Once logged in you have the option of numerous RPO codes: They begin with Auto or Manual, then ask you tire size, then a choice of RPO codes
4. Choose your transmission, tire size, and then RPO NF4/NT7
5. Upload to tech 2 the new codes
6. Connect tech 2 to the car and upload reflash."

Will it effect my speedo orng? Since I have larger tires and rims.

Last edited by Raiden8816; 12-15-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Raiden88
Secondly, its illegal to do this in places like Cali or New York and also in Maricopa county aka Phoenix. But, in Tucson we have not adapted to Cali emissions and on top of that, I have friends who work in emissions. They told me as long as no CELs pop up, you are golden.

no cell your, and you know your inspector your set.

just putting it out there so you and everyone else know, just becauce you don't have cali emissions dose not make it leagel to remove it. it is a federal emissions device, it was put there for a reason, they think its important. i don't like it, and if my car had it i would take it off.but i would also be aware of the risk.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLKLS
no cell your, and you know your inspector your set.

just putting it out there so you and everyone else know, just becauce you don't have cali emissions dose not make it leagel to remove it. it is a federal emissions device, it was put there for a reason, they think its important. i don't like it, and if my car had it i would take it off.but i would also be aware of the risk.
True, but I believe it should be ones right to take off cali emissions if your states does not adopt it. I think AZ won't do it mainly because of all the damn cars for Barett Jackson lol, and also because they have bigger problems like education and border security, etc
Old 12-15-2008, 10:28 PM

Okay, I'm keeping the car since its my first and since I'm dumping so much money into it. Secondly, its illegal to do this in places like Cali or New York and also in Maricopa county aka Phoenix. But, in Tucson we have not adapted to Cali emissions and on top of that, I have friends who work in emissions. They told me as long as no CELs pop up, you are golden.

I'm only doing this to install an LSJ H/D

So according to your post

"So here is the how-to for changing tire size and RPO codes.
1. Connect Tech 2 to car and make link
2. Connect Tech 2 to computer and log into GMDealerworld
3. Once logged in you have the option of numerous RPO codes: They begin with Auto or Manual, then ask you tire size, then a choice of RPO codes
4. Choose your transmission, tire size, and then RPO NF4/NT7
5. Upload to tech 2 the new codes
6. Connect tech 2 to the car and upload reflash."

Will it effect my speedo orng? Since I have larger tires and rims.

If you had stock 15's you can change to the stock 16 setting which will be closer to the 17's. you can't compensate for any size wheel, only the stockers. if you go back to my thread, you can compar and see the compensation. by putting a bigger wheel than the car thinks your speedo and odo will be slow. in other words, you will actually be going faster than the speedo says and your mileage will go up slower.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If your getting tuned just have your tuner disable the SAIR diagnostics. No point in reprogramming your PCM(and reporting to GM) if there is no reason too.(your tech friend should have no problem figuring out this if you really want the GM version)

Changing tire size in the EBCM with the Tech2 has ZERO effect on your speedometer. It doesnt matter what you set it too the speedo calibration wont change.

In order to have your speedo compensate for tire size you have to get GM to issue a a new VCI for your vehicle. Someone from the dealer has to call, it cost $50, and they(GM) wont do it unless your changing to an optional accesory tire size, for the 4 lug cars the only other size you can actually get them to issue a new VCI for is 205/55/16. If youve got 5 lug LT you can only get 205/50/17
Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
If your getting tuned just have your tuner disable the SAIR diagnostics. No point in reprogramming your PCM(and reporting to GM) if there is no reason too.(your tech friend should have no problem figuring out this if you really want the GM version)

Changing tire size in the EBCM with the Tech2 has ZERO effect on your speedometer. It doesnt matter what you set it too the speedo calibration wont change.

In order to have your speedo compensate for tire size you have to get GM to issue a a new VCI for your vehicle. Someone from the dealer has to call, it cost $50, and they(GM) wont do it unless your changing to an optional accesory tire size, for the 4 lug cars the only other size you can actually get them to issue a new VCI for is 205/55/16. If youve got 5 lug LT you can only get 205/50/17
I adjusted the stock tire setting and it did change my speedo and ODO readings. confirmed with GPS. basically you are telling the car that it came with a a certain size tire and it is calculating for that size. you cannot customize it to any size tire but you can switch between the stock sizes. this has been confirmed by the few member who actually have done this. Myself being one of them.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 PM

I would but, I want to install the LSJ H/D and LE5 manifold before the tune. Thats why I want to get rid of the SAI.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 PM

I would but, I want to install the LSJ H/D and LE5 manifold before the tune. Thats why I want to get rid of the SAI.
A failed SAIR diagnostic wont affect engine performance, just take the parts off and disable the codes when you tune it
Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 PM

A failed SAIR diagnostic wont affect engine performance, just take the parts off and disable the codes when you tune it
But can we remove it without notifying GM or is it a must.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 AM

Just take it off and use our tune to disable it. youll be golden and GM will never know.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 AM

Okay so it got it removed on Christmas Eve. Everything is great on the car, minus today. I got my car from the back and a CEL came on. I threw P0442 which is a "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected." I got the code reader and erased the code. Any suggestions on how to fix this CEL from coming on again. Oh and its not the gas cap, since I went to work fine and everything was fine until I got the car from the back to go home.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 AM

could be the gas cap, P0442 only runs its tests under certain conditions. It almost ALWAYS come on when you turn the car beforey ou go anywhere.

Check to make sure you didnt damage any of the evap purge pipes during your SAIR uninstall.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 AM

could be the gas cap, P0442 only runs its tests under certain conditions. It almost ALWAYS come on when you turn the car beforey ou go anywhere.

Check to make sure you didnt damage any of the evap purge pipes during your SAIR uninstall.
Okay, thanks Maven. I'll take some pictures after I get out of work today for you. We only left the metal hose behind the block on the right hand side. Its bolted to the block. Also we left the wiring adaptor that went to the pump itself. That is zip-tied to another near by wiring harnest.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

Okay, thanks Maven. I'll take some pictures after I get out of work today for you. We only left the metal hose behind the block on the right hand side. Its bolted to the block. Also we left the wiring adaptor that went to the pump itself. That is zip-tied to another near by wiring harnest.
if i'm thinking about the same one you have to wiggle your fuse box and take off the headlight to get it out it's a bitch
Old 12-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
if i'm thinking about the same one you have to wiggle your fuse box and take off the headlight to get it out it's a bitch
Now where would you POSSIBLY get an idea like that?

Quick Reply: Need exact proceedure in removing SAI