2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Oil leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Oil leak ?

So my wife has a 2005 coblat sedan automatic. And lately i cant seem to keep oil in it. It has an oil leak that seems to be dripping from some where in the front of the engine. Towards the bittom of the block. It looks like it is running onto the starter and then drips onto the ground. At first i thought it may be the oil pan or oil pan gasket. But it doesnt look like the leak from there that i can tell. Almost like it is coming from something else. I guess my question is , is there anything on the front of the enfine that could be leaking oil ? Like an oil level sensor or pressure sensor ? Maybe if there is something on the front of the engine just aboce the pan around the starter area it may have a bad seal ? Any ideas ? I was hoping people more familiar with the 2.2 could help me out. If it was my ss/tc i would have a better idea.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS
So my wife has a 2005 coblat sedan automatic. And lately i cant seem to keep oil in it. It has an oil leak that seems to be dripping from some where in the front of the engine. Towards the bittom of the block. It looks like it is running onto the starter and then drips onto the ground. At first i thought it may be the oil pan or oil pan gasket. But it doesnt look like the leak from there that i can tell. Almost like it is coming from something else. I guess my question is , is there anything on the front of the enfine that could be leaking oil ? Like an oil level sensor or pressure sensor ? Maybe if there is something on the front of the engine just aboce the pan around the starter area it may have a bad seal ? Any ideas ? I was hoping people more familiar with the 2.2 could help me out. If it was my ss/tc i would have a better idea.
When you say front are you referring to the intake side of the engine?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 AM

Yes... It seems to be deipping off the starter . but i cant seem to see an exact source of the leak. I was wondering if anyone knows if the oil level sensor is around there ? Or the oil pressure sensor ? Something ? Because she drips a litre a day. Lol
Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM

Yes... It seems to be deipping off the starter . but i cant seem to see an exact source of the leak. I was wondering if anyone knows if the oil level sensor is around there ? Or the oil pressure sensor ? Something ? Because she drips a litre a day. Lol
I don't know of any sensors in that area but can't say for sure.

I would check the O-ring you are supposed to replace every oil filter change and the oil filter cap itself and make sure everything is good there.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM

I took a quick look at that first. And it doesnt appear to be leaking . Not that i i can see anyhow. I will double check it again just to make totally sure. That would be sweet if thats all it was. However. In the 5 years i have owned my lnf. I have never replaced that o ring. And no leaks . Worth a check though.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:00 PM

I took a quick look at that first. And it doesnt appear to be leaking . Not that i i can see anyhow. I will double check it again just to make totally sure. That would be sweet if thats all it was. However. In the 5 years i have owned my lnf. I have never replaced that o ring. And no leaks . Worth a check though.
Worth a check. They can stretch and deform over time.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Your filter should come with a new o-ring. No reason not to change that every time.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Not all filters come with it tho. I've had a few not come with one so I had to reuse it but I did change it on the next oil change
Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 PM

So i found where the leak is. There is a sensor at the bottom of the intake mani. To the right of it. Just above the starter. It is a one wire sensor. I assume it is the oil pressure sensor. The oil is leaking out where the harness plugs into the sensor. I unplugged the sensor and it is full of oil inside of it. I started the car up with it unplugged. And it is deffinitly leaking from there. So i cleaned it up. Threw some seal all on it. And will hope that either stops it totally or at the very least slows it down until i can get a new sensor and pull it out of the block and put a new one in. Anyone ever change that sensor and know exactly if its oil preasure or oil level ?

Last edited by QuickSilver_SS; 05-30-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
So i found where the leak is. There is a sensor at the bottom of the intake mani. To the right of it. Just above the starter. It is a one wire sensor. I assume it is the oil pressure sensor. The oil is leaking out where the harness plugs into the sensor. I unplugged the sensor and it is full of oil inside of it. I started the car up with it unplugged. And it is deffinitly leaking from there. So i cleaned it up. Threw some seal all on it. And will hope that either stops it totally or at the very least slows it down until i can get a new sensor and pull it out of the block and put a new one in. Anyone ever change that sensor and know exactly if its oil preasure or oil level ?
It sounds like an oil pressure switch that turns the red idiot light on in the dash when it loses oil pressure. I've never changed one on this car, but have changed many in the past for that exact reason.