Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/secondary-air-injection-late-production-2006-l61s-38488/)

Dave104 06-29-2007 01:43 AM

Thank the lord i'm an 05 lol

07LSC 07-02-2007 01:12 PM

wow, I just started reading about all this sai junk because it came up in a lot of threads and i had no idea wtf it was. I have an 07 and just ran out to check based from the pics at the start of the thread and I don't have it :-D Sounds like a big pita for those who do. I live in florida though so I guess it doesn't matter too much because I could get rid of it with no problems since there are no emissions here.

Blown 4-banger 07-03-2007 01:31 PM

This is odd, because my dad has an 06 Ion sedan, and it doesn't have this :confused:

Witt 07-03-2007 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger (Post 1184768)
This is odd, because my dad has an 06 Ion sedan, and it doesn't have this :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think someone said its a Cali emissions thing. My friend has an 06 2.2 and it doesn't have it either.

Mr.N00bLaR 07-03-2007 03:01 PM

I have it and I am in NY.

OrngBalt 07-03-2007 03:03 PM

the 06 1/2's have it.

Witt 07-03-2007 03:22 PM

If its an RPO code, it should have nearly nothing to do with model year other than the option being available or not. Cali emissions vehicles can be sold anywhere.

Originally Posted by Halfcent (Post 1172730)
There was one concern that the technician had concerning all of these issues. The VIN numbers. Since the VIN is stored in the ECM, GM Dealer World may not allow the ECM program to be changed because the changes asked for don't match the file information for that VIN. We'll see what happens.

This was my original concern.

OrngBalt 07-03-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Witt (Post 1185075)
If its an RPO code, it should have nearly nothing to do with model year other than the option being available or not. Cali emissions vehicles can be sold anywhere.

They did not start including them until late 06. For some reason they made changes at that point to include this and make the antenna stud the size of the 07 (7mm)

Not all 07's have SAI I believe it became dependent on where the car was going. I was under the impression that ALL 07's had it but some members have said that their 07's were not infected but this disease

Halfcent 07-08-2007 10:08 PM

We have verified that the method described above for deleting SAI from your ECM does in fact work! Yeay! So all you SAI guys can do intakes and exhaust manifolds now.

kkanowitz 07-09-2007 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent (Post 1198333)
We have verified that the method described above for deleting SAI from your ECM does in fact work! Yeay! So all you SAI guys can do intakes and exhaust manifolds now.

So since you would need a Tech II to complete this, you would need a really good friend at a dealer...correct? :rolleyes:

Also would the same RPO apply to the 07's? Looking at this page, I'm not sure... http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...vehicleID=3678

tonio5555 07-09-2007 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent (Post 1198333)

WOW! GREAT NEWS! Finally we have vanquished SAI, now I wish I didn't resell that LSJ Exhaust Manifold I bought. So can you explain exactly how one would go about having their SAI deleted? Do we need a really good friend at the dealer?

Delta2.2 07-09-2007 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt (Post 1185096)
They did not start including them until late 06. For some reason they made changes at that point to include this and make the antenna stud the size of the 07 (7mm)

Not all 07's have SAI I believe it became dependent on where the car was going. I was under the impression that ALL 07's had it but some members have said that their 07's were not infected but this disease

kinda of like california smog emissions requirements for certain cars in california, that makes sence

Halfcent 07-09-2007 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kkanowitz (Post 1198762)
So since you would need a Tech II to complete this, you would need a really good friend at a dealer...correct? :rolleyes:

Also would the same RPO apply to the 07's? Looking at this page, I'm not sure... http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...vehicleID=3678

While the RPO's might be different, I am going to guess that the process is the same. Just plug in, find out what you've got now, and switch to the other one.

As far as needing a "buddy", I don't think so. You can probably get any dealership to make the switch for you, but I have no idea what they would charge. Plus, the dealerships that are actually in California might tell you no in order to cover their own ass.

Witt 07-09-2007 02:09 PM

Well, this certainly is good news for some people. :cssNET:

tonio5555 07-09-2007 02:44 PM

OK one last question. So this is how it should work correct me if I'm wrong. I go to the dealer and ask them to remove the California emission RPO for SAI via tech II. They switch it off and thats it? Will the now non functioning SAI line cause any problems or will it just sit there as a useless line?

Halfcent 07-09-2007 04:41 PM

It should just sit there useless, perfectly able to be removed.

OrngBalt 07-09-2007 04:50 PM

And removed it will be with a CA header and ANY Intake I want!!! :nuts: :D

kkanowitz 07-09-2007 10:41 PM

One thing I'm kinda worried about: Is it possible at all that the person doing this could screw up and I guess corrupt the "firmware" on the ECM? Also, should you be able to remove all traces of the AIR pump and solenoid along with the tubes so it looks like it never even existed? I was gunna go outside and look now, anyways...

Halfcent 07-10-2007 12:31 AM

There is no danger. Unless there is some kind of problem during the writing process, the tech is just uploading to your computer, nothing fancy.

And yes, you can remove all the plumbing. But for it look completely gone, you would need either an aftermarket intake and manifold, or a stock one that never had SAI in the first place.

kkanowitz 07-10-2007 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent (Post 1202749)
There is no danger. Unless there is some kind of problem during the writing process, the tech is just uploading to your computer, nothing fancy.

Okay, cool. I think I found a friend that can hook me up easily.

And yes, you can remove all the plumbing. But for it look completely gone, you would need either an aftermarket intake and manifold, or a stock one that never had SAI in the first place.

Alright, that's what I thought.

:twothumbs So I think this will work great. I'll try and get it done sometime soon. I just gotta wait for my friend to call me back on Wednesday and let me know what's up. He works at a Saturn Dealer and he said he can get me to a service guy with Tech II with no problem...so hopefully it works out. I'll keep you guys updated.

kloppster 07-11-2007 03:28 PM

i have a cobalt with the sai problem and i found out the hard way only after i had bought the k&n typhoon filter. i just went to my dealership to do this process and they used the tech 2 system hooked it up to my car then went to the computer to reprogram the emissions and they went through the program like usual but it never gave them the options of verifying the tire size, transmission type, and the emissions rpo. idk why the computer would give them that option but anyways they told me another option i could try and thats to remove the connection of the sai from my intake and plug the whole in the intake and just put a filter on the tube that would originally be connected to the intake. i just tried it so i dont know if it will work or not cause i have to let it cool down so the sai will kick in. i'll update once i know if it works or not and also i'll take some pics to show you what exactly i did

kkanowitz 07-11-2007 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by kloppster (Post 1208824)
i have a cobalt with the sai problem and i found out the hard way only after i had bought the k&n typhoon filter. i just went to my dealership to do this process and they used the tech 2 system hooked it up to my car then went to the computer to reprogram the emissions and they went through the program like usual but it never gave them the options of verifying the tire size, transmission type, and the emissions rpo. idk why the computer would give them that option but anyways they told me another option i could try and thats to remove the connection of the sai from my intake and plug the whole in the intake and just put a filter on the tube that would originally be connected to the intake. i just tried it so i dont know if it will work or not cause i have to let it cool down so the sai will kick in. i'll update once i know if it works or not and also i'll take some pics to show you what exactly i did

I'm not too sure about the attempted reprogramming, but for putting a filter on the SAI tube, it'll work. That's how I'm doing it right now. I had to play with it for over 3 months, but I finally got it set up to where no DTCs are set from it anymore.

kloppster 07-11-2007 07:07 PM

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1730/dscn0151ra8.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5884/dscn0152gc8.jpg

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8749/dscn0153wa4.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3333/dscn0154gx9.jpg

hopefully this helps anyone who got my problem or doesnt have access to a dealership with teh tech2 system to try it on your car

tonio5555 07-22-2007 07:47 PM

I'm going to see if my dealership can delete my SAI via Tech II. Could someone tell me where in Tech II these settings can be found and how exactly to switch between parameters. I doubt these types of transitions are very common so I want to make sure everyting goes smoothly.

Halfcent 07-23-2007 11:50 AM

You shouldn't need that. In fact you probably want to just let the tech do it themselves. However, the process is a reflash. The tech attaches the Tech 2 to your car and downloads your current file. Then they attach the tech 2 to a GM Dealerworld computer and they look at the file. From there, they can make the necessary change to the file (as described above). The updated file is downloaded into the Tech 2. Then the tech takes the Tech 2 back to your car, and the Tech 2 reflashes your car with the new file.

chevrule88 07-30-2007 01:43 PM

ok.. so if i don't have this SAI tube, then do i also not have an EGR?

OrngBalt 07-30-2007 01:53 PM

So upon asking my dealer the IMMEDIATE response was "We will not remove or eliminate ANYTHING!" he then even refused to reprogram my computer to adjust for tire size stating "If something happens in the future, we do not want it to come back that we changed the tire size in your computer"

There was a tech from this site who said he would adjust my tire size but refuses to touch SAI because he is convinced I will fail emissions inspection. I think it is going to take knowing someone to get this done. Or if anything finds a dealer willing to do this, start posting them up so some more of us can get this done.

Originally Posted by chevrule88 (Post 1271432)
ok.. so if i don't have this SAI tube, then do i also not have an EGR?

There is no EGR on the Cobalt so no SAI = no worries

kkanowitz 07-30-2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt (Post 1271472)
So upon asking my dealer the IMMEDIATE response was "We will not remove or eliminate ANYTHING!" he then even refused to reprogram my computer to adjust for tire size stating "If something happens in the future, we do not want it to come back that we changed the tire size in your computer"

There was a tech from this site who said he would adjust my tire size but refuses to touch SAI because he is convinced I will fail emissions inspection. I think it is going to take knowing someone to get this done. Or if anything finds a dealer willing to do this, start posting them up so some more of us can get this done.

Wow, are you serious? This is going to be way harder than I thought... :cussing:

njlopez3 07-30-2007 03:40 PM

oh great i have this sai problem aswell..

shawn672 08-12-2007 12:17 PM

what are the intake systems that we can get if we are indeed plauged by SAI?

Black07LS 08-12-2007 12:38 PM

K&N that's it if you doen't want to rig it up

OrngBalt 08-13-2007 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by shawn672 (Post 1321970)
what are the intake systems that we can get if we are indeed plauged by SAI?

You can get K&N, fabricate your own, put a breather filter on the SAI hose, or get it removed

tonio5555 08-13-2007 02:46 PM

Well I think I found an independent shop in NJ that's willing to delete the SAI for me. While they do have a GM Tech 2 they're not entirely sure of how to get to the setting where they can adjust tire size/SAI rpo. Halfcent, or anyone else that has done the SAI delete, could you try to post specific instructions of how to find and switch the RPO codes within Tech 2.

Vin 08-13-2007 03:18 PM

A dealer adjusted for tiresize here for free while they were adjusting for air flow differences.

I asked about SAI and I bet I could convince them to delete it. They know my car isn't under warranty =)

OrngBalt 08-13-2007 03:24 PM

Nice find anthony.... is it the shop you just PM's me with. Post it up in my 2.2 Reflash post. we can add them as someone who will do it

Vin, do the same with the dealer you were talking about. if they will do the tire adjustment I'll add that as well. My dealer wouldn't even do that.

Here's the link:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/2-2-reflashes-69645/

Halfcent 08-13-2007 04:57 PM

As we posted above, here is how it works.

The tech2 reads the car into it's memory. Then, you take the tech2 to a GMDealerworld connected computer. GMDW communicates with the tech2 and identifies your car and it's program. Then, from that interface on the computer (not the tech2), you can make the changes. The changes are then uploaded into the tech2, which you then take back to the car and flash.

tonio5555 08-13-2007 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt (Post 1326689)
Nice find anthony.... is it the shop you just PM's me with. Post it up in my 2.2 Reflash post. we can add them as someone who will do it

Vin, do the same with the dealer you were talking about. if they will do the tire adjustment I'll add that as well. My dealer wouldn't even do that.

Here's the link:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69645

I still have to call that place and explain to them exactly what I need done, but since they're not a dealer I don't see what reason they would have not to do it, its money in their pockets.

OrngBalt 08-13-2007 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by tonio5555 (Post 1327068)
I still have to call that place and explain to them exactly what I need done, but since they're not a dealer I don't see what reason they would have not to do it, its money in their pockets.

as long as they have access to GM Dealerworld

tonio5555 08-13-2007 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt (Post 1327328)
as long as they have access to GM Dealerworld

They said they have Tech 2, for their Tech 2 to work wouldn't they have to have access to dealerworld?

OrngBalt 08-13-2007 06:20 PM

maybe... i dont know for sure. Tell me what you find out anthony... i know Dust would go crazy if he found out there was a place that close to him that woulda removed SAI for him