Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   Switching Gears with Automatic (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/switching-gears-automatic-12394/)

D4u2s0t 02-05-2006 10:32 AM

Switching Gears with Automatic

ok, so i've been seeing a ton of posts about this lately, and figured i'd give it a try... i noticed a VERY surprising difference when i started in L, switched to I right before redline, and then popped it into D... i was smiling the whole time, since it was so much quicker than keeping it in D... my question... is this safe, or bad for the car? it is not something that would be done all of the time... thanks guys

RaineMan 02-05-2006 10:40 AM

Doing it some won't hurt... but all the time will put more wear on the tranny... do the 2.2's have a tranny cooler?

Also... it kills your gas mileage....

D4u2s0t 02-05-2006 10:49 AM

i don't know about the cooler, but you're right about the gas mileage... if anything, i would do this every now and then... but damn... last night, i did it from a stop light (not racing, just me on the road) on the highway, and the car was QUICK!! but at the same time, that 10 second stretch before i put it into Drive the DIC gas milage went from 30 to like 26...

p7x 02-05-2006 11:08 AM

its not good for the car. but if only do it some of the time it's not too bad.

RedBaseBolt 02-05-2006 11:19 AM

Manual Shifting when accelerating doesn't really hurt anything. But down shifting can cause pre-mature tranny wear.

Roadrunner 02-05-2006 02:43 PM

look into getting a shift controller, then you can have full control of the gears (basically driving a manual without a clutch)
theres an engineer that could probably give you a cheap controller design that hangs around on the gm delta forum.

celicacobalt 02-05-2006 10:57 PM

i think in the automatic 1/4 mile thread in racing we confirmed that to get the best time out of the auto to launch in L it shifts once then on 3rd you throw it into D, but we could be wrong

silverSS 02-05-2006 11:00 PM

i always thought it was bad for the car....wait no thats right....i dropped the tranny in my old maxima from doing this, dont do it, get a stick if you want to race the car ;)

RedBaseBolt 02-05-2006 11:49 PM

I repeat.

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
Manual Shifting when accelerating doesn't really hurt anything. But down shifting can cause pre-mature tranny wear.

PenguinJohn 02-06-2006 04:19 AM

does any1 know of any companys that make shift kits for our tranny/motor? Sorry Im fairly ignorant when it comes to transmissions...

Brian MP5T 02-06-2006 05:36 AM

Unless the car has a semi automaic mode, then you are just fucking around for nothing and are not holping the trannys lifespan. It's called Automatic. If you want to play street racer, get NFSMW or trade in the car for a MTX.

astrocrep 02-06-2006 08:47 AM

I used to manually shift my 3speed auto (no overdrive) '96 Toyota Corolla... I would be the hell out of that thing... I would always downshift into second... you really needed to to take advantage of all 100hp.

-Rich

silverSS 02-06-2006 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
Unless the car has a semi automaic mode, then you are just fucking around for nothing and are not holping the trannys lifespan. It's called Automatic. If you want to play street racer, get NFSMW or trade in the car for a MTX.

haha :twothumbs

celicacobalt 02-06-2006 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by PenguinJohn
does any1 know of any companys that make shift kits for our tranny/motor? Sorry Im fairly ignorant when it comes to transmissions...

talk to ipt transmission i think halfcent used them for his tranny

PenguinJohn 02-06-2006 09:55 PM

quick question is our trans # 4T40E???

RedBaseBolt 02-06-2006 10:39 PM

4t45

Brian MP5T 02-06-2006 10:41 PM

http://www.lalosgarage.com/Tech/X19T...bottomview.jpg

RedBaseBolt 02-06-2006 10:43 PM

What am I looking at here? Mechanical malfunction or stupidity of driver?

PenguinJohn 02-06-2006 10:47 PM

4t45

thanks

RedBaseBolt 02-06-2006 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJohn
thanks

the same tranny is used in the 3500 V6 Malibu's.....hmmm

Halfcent 02-06-2006 11:35 PM

Its a 4T45E (4 speed, transverse, 45 is the like the power handling capacity rating or something, electronic), code MN5. The shifting is done completely via computer control, no shifting solenoids in the unit.

GM's literature about the Hydramatics for 2005

IPT does in fact make a manual shift unit for the car. In fact, is it switchable between normal drive and manual drive. The two things I don't like about it are 1) its kindda ugly, just a plain metal box with some buttons on it, 2) its one of those devices that gives you the power to really break the transmission if you push the wrong gear button at the wrong time.

RedBaseBolt 02-06-2006 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Its a 4T45E (4 speed, transverse, 45 is the like the power handling capacity rating or something, electronic), code MN5. The shifting is done completely via computer control, no shifting solenoids in the unit.

GM's literature about the Hydramatics for 2005

IPT does in fact make a manual shift unit for the car. In fact, is it switchable between normal drive and manual drive. The two things I don't like about it are 1) its kindda ugly, just a plain metal box with some buttons on it, 2) its one of those devices that gives you the power to really break the transmission if you push the wrong gear button at the wrong time.

the malibus that have this tranny have the manual shift option right on the shift, I know, I have one.

Brian MP5T 02-07-2006 07:37 AM

What am I looking at here? Mechanical malfunction or stupidity of driver?

I believe you are looking at a Diff..

Malaclypse 02-07-2006 07:50 AM

That's obviously a manual transmission.

I'd chalk it up to stupidity of driver before I'd claim a problem with power handling.

You can build a bullet proof transmission (auto or manual) but with enough neutral drops/clutch dumps you can kill any diff.

P.S. The 4T45E is a dual axis transmission with an output stack (including diff+housing) that will easily cross the width of many small passenger car sub-frames. Yes its a twitchy piece of engineering as far as power handling is concerned, but the PCM is programmed with specific algorithms to increase transmission life. This includes manual down-shifting to engine brake on downhill grades. Completely expected and normal operation as far as GM designs their automatic transmissions.

I've manually downshifted my T60E for years when the need arose and have had 0 problems. Factory transmission build at 114,000 miles and still as strong as ever.

The 4T45E is derived from the 4T65E which took many of its design cues from the 4T60E... it just employed a larger diff and slightly larger clutch surfaces. Comparing the 4T45E to the 4T60E, the 45 has slightly smaller clutches but an extra plate or two where it counts. The diff casing is essentialy the same as the T60E with a smaller planetary setup.

Brian MP5T 02-07-2006 08:05 AM

I just liked the picture actually..