Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   transmission cooler (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/transmission-cooler-72344/)

freakta 08-19-2007 03:41 PM

transmission cooler

im looking for a bit of information on a transmission cooler for the 2.2 auto. if there isnt any i can get a universal one from summit and post pictures and a writeup on here for everyone. does anyone know and have pictures of where the oil lines are on the tranny? or how many quarts of oil the tranny takes? thanks for the info

Jackalope 08-19-2007 03:50 PM

Well the trans is sealed, I'm not even sure where you could add fluid to it. That said a cooler depending on the size will hold about a 1/4 to a 1/2 qt. with the new lines too.

The lines on the Balt start off as aluminum and then switch to rubber. I'd say cut them off on the aluminum part, make a small flair and use 2 fuel injection style hose clamps to secure new hi-presure rubber line to the metal. It works just fine as long as you do it right.

RedBaseBolt 08-19-2007 04:57 PM

Our auto's already have a tranny cooler. pop your hood, look down the right hand side of the right fender by the radiator. there is a tranny cooler. a small one but its still there, you could replace that I would guess.

Jackalope 08-19-2007 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt (Post 1349659)
Our auto's already have a tranny cooler. pop your hood, look down the right hand side of the right fender by the radiator. there is a tranny cooler. a small one but its still there, you could replace that I would guess.

Thats actualy the tank of the radiator. He wants a seperate one to keep it cooler still.

ted5986 08-19-2007 05:10 PM

technically the one the auto cobalts have is a trans fluid warmer. its used to get the trans fluid up to operating temperature faster for smoother operation. as far as cooling goes, as long as you dont beat the shit out of your auto and you are not modded out of control. you shouldnt need to cool your trans fluid

HunterKiller89 08-19-2007 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ted5986 (Post 1349705)
technically the one the auto cobalts have is a trans fluid warmer. its used to get the trans fluid up to operating temperature faster for smoother operation. as far as cooling goes, as long as you dont beat the shit out of your auto and you are not modded out of control. you shouldnt need to cool your trans fluid

its actually a trans cooler....it will use the warmth of the radiator to help warm the tranny fluid to X degrees, but then also cools it if it exceeds that temperature

you would want to get a tranny cooler if you climb a lot of steep hills, plan on increasing horsepower significantly, drive hard in hot temperatures, and a number of other reasons. Our auto trannies hold 11qts, but only 9 of it will drain. You'd need a machine to suck out the last 2 qts.

Halfcent 08-19-2007 05:26 PM

You don't have to cut anything. A typical cooler will need lines cut and made to length. Those lines can then replace the one that leads to the OEM cooler in the radiator.

The 4t45E takes about 13 quarts of fluid when it's completely dry.

HunterKiller89 08-19-2007 05:59 PM

hah...halfcent,i would swear you told me 11 qts

Halfcent 08-19-2007 06:16 PM

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...specs.html#mn4

10 quarts for an overhaul. 13 dry. Right out of the GM media.

OrngBalt 08-19-2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89 (Post 1349732)
its actually a trans cooler....it will use the warmth of the radiator to help warm the tranny fluid to X degrees, but then also cools it if it exceeds that temperature

you would want to get a tranny cooler if you climb a lot of steep hills, plan on increasing horsepower significantly, drive hard in hot temperatures, and a number of other reasons. Our auto trannies hold 11qts, but only 9 of it will drain. You'd need a machine to suck out the last 2 qts.

Well, if he wants to bring it to the track and starts doing alot of brake launches it would be a nice thing to have. Plus, a cooler transmission is a happy transmission. They arent that expensive and if it extends the life of our transmission... why not go for it.

Don't many of the kits come with all the necessary hoses and taps needed? Most of the ones I have seen do. There are quite a few guys talking about installing one, but to date, no one has come straight out and said they have. Make the how-to!

Halfcent 08-19-2007 06:32 PM

Most kits do have hoses for hooking it up. But they are generic in nature, and the hoses are often much longer then necessary. It is common for people to cut them to shorter lengths, and in doing so, attach different connection hardware.

tonio5555 08-19-2007 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt (Post 1349928)
Well, if he wants to bring it to the track and starts doing alot of brake launches it would be a nice thing to have. Plus, a cooler transmission is a happy transmission. They arent that expensive and if it extends the life of our transmission... why not go for it.

Don't many of the kits come with all the necessary hoses and taps needed? Most of the ones I have seen do. There are quite a few guys talking about installing one, but to date, no one has come straight out and said they have. Make the how-to!

There is a how to for a trans cooler on www.ecotecforum.com

ORT 08-19-2007 11:44 PM

Also, look up Celica Cobalt. He has one on his Balt. It is a 2.4 though, but I think that it will atleast point you into the right direction!

freakta 08-20-2007 09:05 AM

wow thanks for the input. i was gonna do it for longevity and with just a few mods it doesnt seem necessary. and the writeup on ecotechforums is great

tonio5555 08-20-2007 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by freakta (Post 1351409)
wow thanks for the input. i was gonna do it for longevity and with just a few mods it doesnt seem necessary. and the writeup on ecotechforums is great

I'm thinking about doing it as well. I mean all I'm doing to my car is bolt on's and maybe tuning if its comes out, so I won't need the tranny cooler. I just see it as a cool little project that is easy and I can only help, not hurt my car in the long run.

originaladrian 09-28-2007 09:57 AM

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...mission+cooler

this is a how to with a cobalt