2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

A Turbo balt tried to race my S/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueSSupercharged
Maybe a 2 door and thats a maybe. But i dont think a 4 door would due to that extra weight.
really depends on what options the car comes with. But either way I'd put it at more of a driver's race

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
its like 200 extra lbs.... just dont speak about 4 doors you dont know anything about them!
I think that's what he's talking about. That extra 200lbs DOES make a difference

Last edited by Novajoe; 10-05-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM

its like 200 extra lbs.... just dont speak about 4 doors you dont know anything about them!
Stop wishin your 4 door could compete with a ss sc.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM

i raced multiple ss/sc's and IRLs. Well a IRL and a ss/sc multiple times(2 of my really good friends). i put 3 car lengths on the IRL by top of third(about 85mph) from a dig. and he can drive. I was on stock tires too. So yes a 4dr should be able to take one easily.

From a dig on the stock tires i would launch from 2500rpms and not dump the clutch, i grabbed fairly well, spun a bit and once i hit 2nd gear i pulled about 1/2 car length, by top of third about 3 cars in front.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
here we go again mr GOD BLESS MY SS/SC over all other cars. its the same damn thing. get over your ego.

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
i raced multiple ss/sc's and IRLs. Well a IRL and a ss/sc multiple times(2 of my really good friends). i put 3 car lengths on the IRL by top of third(about 85mph) from a dig. and he can drive. I was on stock tires too. So yes a 4dr should be able to take one easily.

From a dig on the stock tires i would launch from 2500rpms and not dump the clutch, i grabbed fairly well, spun a bit and once i hit 2nd gear i pulled about 1/2 car length, by top of third about 3 cars in front.
Thank you, because we dont have a 2.0L ECOTEC they think our ECOTEC is horrible!

Last edited by mkulrey13; 10-05-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 PM

lol its like you think that every door you have is minus 15 hp or something lol. well mine has no doors so i should be able to go faster right??
Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 PM

ive talked to a guy who runs ihra and he says 100lbs is like .1 to .15 seconds in a quarter, so 200 could mean up to .3 seconds in a 1/4 and with the high times that is a good distance (2-3 lenghts)

Garrett Turbo Stage 2 – 198HP@5000 RPM – Torque 219 lbf/ft@4000 RPM

those arent peak numbers, very close tho, but those numbers come from garrett and on the stock exhaust 1-7/8" with full spool (8psi) at 3000rpms. now take that to a full 3" exhaust from the turbo back you get full boost at probably 2500rpms maybe a lil lower but also you will increase the power too.

ive seen some stock ss/sc dyno 203whp/199wtq and idk if that was dynojet or mustang dyno so numbers coulda been different
Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Maybe a 2 door and thats a maybe. But i dont think a 4 door would due to that extra weight.
I wouldnt be surprised if my car kept up with yours. I know i could take Stg2 easily but i dunno about a 2.8 pullied yet. In a few weeks no pullied cobalt is gonna keep up anyways =P
Old 10-06-2007, 01:24 AM

yeh Some poeple just talk out their ass Just go and race one and then find out/ And I think srt4s have 4 doors and they run pretty good, imagine the possiblities if you just took off the back doors
Old 10-06-2007, 03:18 AM

just went to the chevy website to see for myself stock curb weights and... if the coupe and sedan have the same options... the sedan will weigh a whopping 66 lbs more!!!

Coupe:2,681lbs Sedan:2,747lbs

so its safe to say that it'll be <.1 seconds different, making it a drivers race every single time....
Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Schultzay
just went to the chevy website to see for myself stock curb weights and... if the coupe and sedan have the same options... the sedan will weigh a whopping 66 lbs more!!!

Coupe:2,681lbs Sedan:2,747lbs

so its safe to say that it'll be <.1 seconds different, making it a drivers race every single time....
exactly... no big difference. i wasnt stating that the 200lbs was correct, just theory of how weight affects 1/4 time
Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just cause we gotta 2.2 and 2 extra doors don't mean we can't run with a 2.0 or anthing else for that matter.

my buddy with a stock '90 camaro rs v6 swears that he'll beat me on or off the bottle. on the bottle off it's a drivers race with my mods, oh and the tool can't drive either

i wouldn't even waste the gas on him let alone the juice

p.s. i love smilies. do you?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:59 PM

here we go again mr GOD BLESS MY SS/SC over all other cars. its the same damn thing. get over your ego.

Thank you, because we dont have a 2.0L ECOTEC they think our ECOTEC is horrible!
Im just saying you 2.2 and 2.4 guys are always saying when i turbo my car ill blow the doors off of a ss sc. All you guys do is compare your car to the ss sc when you should be on the same side. Also to the irl guy i have yet to see a irl beat my ss sc when i was stock or with my modds.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Im just saying you 2.2 and 2.4 guys are always saying when i turbo my car ill blow the doors off of a ss sc. All you guys do is compare your car to the ss sc when you should be on the same side. Also to the irl guy i have yet to see a irl beat my ss sc when i was stock or with my modds.

exactly... we are all balts and should be supporting each other completely and i want to turbo my **** but with what the hahn kit offers it will no be able to beat a sc if it is staged or a custom setup with a decent bit of boost... i mean i would love to believe it would but its just not gonna happen... yet
Old 10-06-2007, 07:42 PM

I don't think most 2.2 guys are trying to compete with the ss/sc, just using it as a benchmark. They want to be as fast as one. It just seems like most of the ss/sc guys get butthurt thinking of a 2.2 being as fast as them, so they come in here trying to put people down like it's never going to happen...

Originally Posted by o3nisoaso3
exactly... we are all balts and should be supporting each other completely and i want to turbo my **** but with what the hahn kit offers it will no be able to beat a sc if it is staged or a custom setup with a decent bit of boost... i mean i would love to believe it would but its just not gonna happen... yet
turbo kit+aem fi/c=being able to up boost and make changes. It seems like alot of people think that there's no way to build on the reflash of the turbo kits. All it is is a reflash into the stock pcm. It's still completely possible to hook up a piggyback on top of that to make changes to fuel, boost, etc. The only thing I could see holding the 2.2s back is the plastic intake manifold... as it wouldn't take the pressures of high boost.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:57 PM

I dont think a 2.2 turbo 4 door would keep up with a stock ss sc. Maybe a 2.2 turbo 2 door. Isnt there a guy with a 2.4 turbo 2 door that only ran a 14.1? stage 1 ss sc can run faster then that.
correctoin HAHN race craft put it in their 2.4 SS and ran a 13.68 and the only thing done to it was the turbo kit and tuning
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
correctoin HAHN race craft put it in their 2.4 SS and ran a 13.68 and the only thing done to it was the turbo kit and tuning
well in his defense, that's on a 2.4. The hahn kit with the 2.4 puts out more power than the kit with a 2.2
Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
I don't think most 2.2 guys are trying to compete with the ss/sc, just using it as a benchmark. They want to be as fast as one. It just seems like most of the ss/sc guys get butthurt thinking of a 2.2 being as fast as them, so they come in here trying to put people down like it's never going to happen...

turbo kit+aem fi/c=being able to up boost and make changes. It seems like alot of people think that there's no way to build on the reflash of the turbo kits. All it is is a reflash into the stock pcm. It's still completely possible to hook up a piggyback on top of that to make changes to fuel, boost, etc. The only thing I could see holding the 2.2s back is the plastic intake manifold... as it wouldn't take the pressures of high boost.

yes, i kno but if you see the posts... 80+% ppl do not want to go piggyback. i know that i dont want to so thats why the stuff i am selling wasnt on my car 2 years ago when i bought all of the ****.... i didnt wanna deal with what ive seen my friends deal with by tuning their cars with that stuff but yes it is a good thing to do if you want a fast car, i just wish that sct would make an open tune available that everyone could download if they buy the livewire and just about everyone with a 2.2 would buy it lol
Old 10-06-2007, 10:43 PM

I dunno. If sct/hp thought everyone with a 2.2 would buy their setup, they would've released it along time ago. I doubt we'll see any support from them for at least another year or so. Hell the ecotec cavis didn't get support until like a year or two ago... after they were discontinued.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 0redline6
there is probly one of the sickest spec-v's thati have ever seen around here.. its mostly a show carbut has a fully built engine/ transmisson and has a bigg ass turbo lol.. the front bumper hood fenders sideskirts trunk and rear bumper are carbon fiber with a dark dark yellow blackish tint.. and the headlights are almost the same way.. its ****** badd ass... lol /thread jack
continue thread jack... that was the one at the car show? i have pics of it lol wasn't too bad... you sure it was supposed to have that yellow tint and wasn't just nasty CF like 90% of the rest of the cars there... hell the weaves didn't even match lol

a turbo'd 2.2 probably would put down like 200-215 WHP or so at 7-8PSI would definately give an ss/sc a run... especially because even if it's a 4 door if it's an lt or ls with on options the extra doors wont matter since it wont have a bunch of the other options
Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
I dunno. If sct/hp thought everyone with a 2.2 would buy their setup, they would've released it along time ago. I doubt we'll see any support from them for at least another year or so. Hell the ecotec cavis didn't get support until like a year or two ago... after they were discontinued.
yea, i understand what you are saying but didnt really think bout the cavis til u mentioned them. i mean i hear all kinds of 2.2s on here sayin they want something, like 100s of ppl and still that aint enough? that would be like $70,000 if they charge $700 per tuner and from what i saw, the vcm suite was about that price

Originally Posted by elecblue06
continue thread jack... that was the one at the car show? i have pics of it lol wasn't too bad... you sure it was supposed to have that yellow tint and wasn't just nasty CF like 90% of the rest of the cars there... hell the weaves didn't even match lol

a turbo'd 2.2 probably would put down like 200-215 WHP or so at 7-8PSI would definately give an ss/sc a run... especially because even if it's a 4 door if it's an lt or ls with on options the extra doors wont matter since it wont have a bunch of the other options

Garrett Turbo Stage 2 – 198HP@5000 RPM – Torque 219 lbf/ft@4000 RPM---- STOCK GARRETT NUMBERS WITH STOCK EXHAUST. with a 3" dp and cat back you most likely get 10hp more as i stated before. but they got more torque than an ss/sc stock so yes. stock sc vs 2.2 turbo would definately have to go to the 2.2 if the drivers are equally matched in skill. but still even tho weight is the same and the 2.2 wont have as good of tires, you spend 12 grand on a 2.2 (i paid 10 for mine) and 20 grand on an sc. so 12 and $3700 puts you to $15,700 for the 2.2 so say an extra grand for rims and tires so $16,700 for a car that has slightly more hp and slightly more tq but the only problem is that you cant change **** on the tune... unless you go with a piggyback. so if you are going to race (at the track only lol) and with ONLY factory sc's then ya, itd be better for you to get a 2.2 and turbo it but the sc can be quite highly tuned over stock

so there is my input, you take it how you want. if you want to look at it as whats faster for cheaper then i would have to say turbo, but its all what someone is looking for and what ppl can afford and just everyone has a different opinion. i personally love turbos but i kno very very little about sc at all but just the whole use power to gain power is what i dont like even tho it is instant power. but for now i have nothing else to say other than i love all 3 options we have... n/a turbo and sc and would take any of them but i like what i have the most because its mine
Old 10-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
there are stock cobalts running 14.0....what makes you think a S1 cant run 14.1?
maybe on drag radials, downhill in Canada with 15mph winds in the direction of the track and at sea level...
Old 10-07-2007, 02:46 PM

So it seems the lesson here is that 200lbs makes a difference. Take out your seats, spare tire, and other useless items, then you'll be equiv. to a 2dr. I love my little balt but there is no chance in hell it's going to be anywhere as fast as some of the ss/sc coupes out there unless there is heavy mods. Nothing you can't do over a weekend depending on your skill level, but I've done heavy research in the search for a faster/better Cobalt. It's not JUST because I'm broke that mine is still slow, it's because you need to do it right.

To the SS/SC people. You guys have one hell of a setup, no joke. In fact I want one just so I can have power windows and a damn sunroof. But don't mistake the weaker ones. With the proper setup and different weight bearings between trim levels on these vehicles the LS very easily could come out on top. Between the initial buy and the cost of modification, we pay about the same for a "soup'd up LS" then we would for a new SS.

There is 2 turbo kits for the LS right now. One made by Hahn, and the other by Garrett. The two are identical, with the exclusion of the wastegate and the fuel managment controllers that are availible. But with new rods, new piston heads, new balance shafts, new clutch, lsd, ignition system, stand alone, etc... you can easily put out numbers most thought weren't possible.

Now only if GM would allow me to put all those new parts onto my payment plan with GMAC.

My suggestion, is that there needs to be more LS tuners out there. Step up to the plate and modify one of these cars so we all can see what the true numbers are. I have the rods, bearings, neutral shafts, all arp studs, and most gaskets so far, so my collection is building. But best beleive by the time I get to putting it all in, you will all have a build sheet and results of such a build. That or you'll see me put up new pics of an SS/SC haha.

Good day.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gifted
So it seems the lesson here is that 200lbs makes a difference. Take out your seats, spare tire, and other useless items, then you'll be equiv. to a 2dr. I love my little balt but there is no chance in hell it's going to be anywhere as fast as some of the ss/sc coupes out there unless there is heavy mods. Nothing you can't do over a weekend depending on your skill level, but I've done heavy research in the search for a faster/better Cobalt. It's not JUST because I'm broke that mine is still slow, it's because you need to do it right.

To the SS/SC people. You guys have one hell of a setup, no joke. In fact I want one just so I can have power windows and a damn sunroof. But don't mistake the weaker ones. With the proper setup and different weight bearings between trim levels on these vehicles the LS very easily could come out on top. Between the initial buy and the cost of modification, we pay about the same for a "soup'd up LS" then we would for a new SS.

There is 2 turbo kits for the LS right now. One made by Hahn, and the other by Garrett. The two are identical, with the exclusion of the wastegate and the fuel managment controllers that are availible. But with new rods, new piston heads, new balance shafts, new clutch, lsd, ignition system, stand alone, etc... you can easily put out numbers most thought weren't possible.

Now only if GM would allow me to put all those new parts onto my payment plan with GMAC.

My suggestion, is that there needs to be more LS tuners out there. Step up to the plate and modify one of these cars so we all can see what the true numbers are. I have the rods, bearings, neutral shafts, all arp studs, and most gaskets so far, so my collection is building. But best beleive by the time I get to putting it all in, you will all have a build sheet and results of such a build. That or you'll see me put up new pics of an SS/SC haha.

Good day.
You have a very good statement and i agree with u completely but (the bold part) isnt exactly true. hahn and garrett are the same kit except for maybe the 2.4 if garrett even made the 2.4 kit
Old 10-07-2007, 06:32 PM

LOL ok before this became a 2.0 vs 2.2 thread, If I see the guy again Ill run him. I just didnt know if they really made them turbo'd and since I know they do now Ill try. I raced some pos thing the other day cause it said NOS and had a turbo charged sticker on it. Needless to say it had neither and got beat pretty bad. I only race if I think it will be a good one. So next time I see him, its on!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 PM

yea man itll be a good story to hear

Quick Reply: A Turbo balt tried to race my S/C