2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

how loud is LOUD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how loud is LOUD?

For all the 2.4 guys & gals, I have a question.

I just installed my GMPP intake on Monday and have noticed a significant amount of intake noise.

Now I have checked and rechecked all the installed parts (and I read the instructions that came with it probably 3X) and everything is high & tight.

I am used to supercharged cars, and when installing an CAI or intake, it usually will quiet down the car to the point of being able to hear S/C whine very easily (it is addictive, isn't it ). I know that N/A cars will have an increase in noise when installing an intake because of the nature of an N/A car's intake tract.

I have talked with Crate Engine Depot (who has talked with GMPP directly) and they told me they have received numerous similar calls from other Cobalt owners. However, they were unable to quantify the magnitude of the "loudness" to me without hearing the car. They did tell me that GMPP said it would be "louder".

Now I have installed CAIs on N/A cars before (mostly V6s & V8s), and never have heard an intake this loud before

So my question is (finally), how loud is the GMPP intake? Is it so loud that, under engine load at WOT, you have to turn the radio up? Is it louder than the stock exhaust at WOT? Does it sound like the engine has a problem and is about to blow up (all other parts being stock-exhaust)?

MINE DOES, is this normal?

Will adding an exhaust quiet it down due to eliminating the backpressure that could be causing the excessive noise (i.e. too much air in, not enough getting out now)?

Please elaborate...

Edit...forgot to mention - no SES light to date (been less than 100 miles though)
Also, all engine cover have been removed (it will add noise just for that I know)
Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cai will make it louder... these engines are pretty noisy as it is... like they said, without hearing it, nobody can really say... but it will be noticably louder with a cai.. adding an exhaust will also make it louder
Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 PM

OK you sound just like Crate Engine Depot

I know that much, but I am looking for a comparison sound level. Does it sound like a Kansas tornado? a freight train? etc... How loud is LOUD?

I even talked to my dealership and they have no clue, they have never installed any GMPP on a Cobalt to date, much less serviced one with GMPP parts on it. They told me their guess is as good as mine!

Mechanically, I am confident that it was installed correctly (i am kinda mechanically inclined...)

You aren't kidding about the ECOtec being a loud clackity motor, especially at idle! My 3.8 S/C motor is smooth as glass compared to this one's idle (and I have 1 5/8" primary headers, 3" dp, and 2 1/2" cat back).
Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 PM

I know with mine if i press the pedal to the floor i can't hear the radio and it feels like my hood is shaking, so ya its loud...
Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 PM

definitely loud. i installed mine and when i went for a drive it really surprised me how loud it was. i know the sound you are hearing and i am almost certain you are hearing the right thing.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:15 PM

It's about as loud in your head as someone turning the door handle to the room your in, pantsless, jerking off to **** on the computer.

but probably without the humiliation
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM

You think ecotec is loud, take a look at the old Quad 4 motors, they where horrible. Gm has made a real improvement with the ecotec.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:45 PM

Another noise issue - does anyone elses 2.4 'whine' a little bit when the overhead cams kick in? If I'm in second and floor it in a parking lot I can hear an audible 'whiiiiiiiiiiiir" from under the hood - is this normal for the Etec?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlwnGP
OK you sound just like Crate Engine Depot

I know that much, but I am looking for a comparison sound level. Does it sound like a Kansas tornado? a freight train? etc... How loud is LOUD?

I even talked to my dealership and they have no clue, they have never installed any GMPP on a Cobalt to date, much less serviced one with GMPP parts on it. They told me their guess is as good as mine!

Mechanically, I am confident that it was installed correctly (i am kinda mechanically inclined...)

You aren't kidding about the ECOtec being a loud clackity motor, especially at idle! My 3.8 S/C motor is smooth as glass compared to this one's idle (and I have 1 5/8" primary headers, 3" dp, and 2 1/2" cat back).
It sounds about like a large-bore 2-stroke dirt bike at full throttle (at least the intake part of the bike's noise, if not the pipe). It had a distinct, deep "honk" to it. Note that if you install a scoop and seal it carefully to the hood (or buy the RK Sport hood and make sure you seal it good to their scoop intake ducting) it get's noticably quieter in the cabin, but certinaly not stock quiet. Mine did. It also adds considerable HP.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
cai will make it louder... these engines are pretty noisy as it is... like they said, without hearing it, nobody can really say... but it will be noticably louder with a cai.. adding an exhaust will also make it louder
x2...
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM

Rk HOOD FTW! I need to talk to them about a small group purchase for us na guys, 2.2 and 2.4
Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 AM

Your really asking a question that can only be answered by you. We all have our own definitions of "loud" but we really can't share them over the 'Net.

Its alot louder then stock but after time you might not notice it so much. Other drivers will, however
Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I thought I was losing my mind for a while there. Sounds like what I am hearing is "normal".
Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlwnGP
For all the 2.4 guys & gals, I have a question.

I just installed my GMPP intake on Monday and have noticed a significant amount of intake noise.
Here's a link to a video of my SS on the dyno:

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=P2180189.flv

See if it sounds anything like your car.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 PM

that sounds tight to me. lol, dont u know there would be a mess if those damn wheels got off the dyno haha
Old 02-22-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant
Another noise issue - does anyone elses 2.4 'whine' a little bit when the overhead cams kick in? If I'm in second and floor it in a parking lot I can hear an audible 'whiiiiiiiiiiiir" from under the hood - is this normal for the Etec?
i have a whine, when i had my injen intake the whine got louder.. infact the gm techs thought my car was supercharged because of it lol.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, my AEM intake is pretty loud, but just wait until you get a full exhaust.........can't even hear my intake anymore. I have an ARK N2 cat-back + CA 4-1 header + XTC 2.5" de-cat downpipe, and I can't even hear to think with that setup. It makes my interior vibrate like crazy........girlfriend isn't really a fan of riding shotgun anymore, haha. But I love it loud. (however Cops don't, which is why I already got an exhaust ticket)
Old 02-23-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher117
that sounds tight to me. lol, dont u know there would be a mess if those damn wheels got off the dyno haha
That's why the door is open in front of the car and no one is allowed to stand there when running. Bear in mind it is cross-strapped to the floor both in front and in back with truck tie-downs. But, yeah, I had a picture in my mind of it shooting out into the street and into the house across the way