2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Mystery Misfires 2.4l LE5 Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Mystery Misfires 2.4l LE5 Supercharged

Ok so look.... I know there is literally thousands of stuff out there regarding misfires, trust me, I KNOW! If i wasn't absolutely 100% sure that this situation is unique, then wouldnt have even bothered.

So here it is....

The engine before this one had a valve smack the piston, so the one in there now is a "new" one. It only had 43k miles on it when i put it in, and not much more now. Problem after mother f'ing problem!!!! let me tell ya!!!! But the main issue that always keeps rearing its ugly head is, you guessed it, MISFIRES!!!!

It was misfiring before i put the S/C in (just put the S/C in about 3 weeks ago and havent been able to drive it since). So now its come to the point where im idling, its misfiring! When i WOT, it misfires and CEL flashes at me pissed off!!

Ive changed the spark plugs, ive changed the coil packs, ive taken off the intake manifold and put a new gasket on it (2 times!!!!), ive quadruple checked the MAF, the Throttle Body, The vaccuum hoses, ive checked the fuel pressure, it has a new fuel filter, everything anybody can tell me, ive checked checked checked and checked again.... So Im reachin out deep here. This is tearin me apart, financially, and from my kids and wife. WTF is going on!!?!?!?!?!

btw...
ZZP Supercharger Kit
ZZP tune
ZZP 2.5" down pipe
ZZP neutral balance shafts

everytime if checked the plugs, they come out fouled with black soot or carbon build up, not on the electrode but everything around it. but getting a lean misfire!?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
Check the compression?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
it's financially hurting your family because you custom built a fast car. Pay to play.

As said above, compression test is first.

What cylinders is it misfiring on.

If it's doing it at idle you have a major issue.

What plugs you running? How well tuned is the tune?

Narrow it down to a cylinder then check the plug and the coil pack. move the coil packs around and see if the misfire moves.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
what she said^ check compression and leak down
Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
it's financially hurting your family because you custom built a fast car. Pay to play.

As said above, compression test is first.

What cylinders is it misfiring on.

If it's doing it at idle you have a major issue.

What plugs you running? How well tuned is the tune?

Narrow it down to a cylinder then check the plug and the coil pack. move the coil packs around and see if the misfire moves.
I guess it's too much to expect everything to work out when you've spent countless hours to find other issues indirectly related to anythjng I've installed

As stated its a random misfire, it's in all cylinders. Just generic P0300. As far as the plugs go, they're autolites that ZZP had in with the kit. I've had them gapped to .042, .040, .035, .032, and just recently .028 so as to rule out spark blow out.

It was supposed to be compression checked before they sent the engine out, but that's to say they probably didn't do a leakdown.. Which is what I'm starting to put my money on. The only thing is if it's worn valve seals wouldn't it be burning bluish smoke?

Oh and the tune is ZZP

Last edited by Cobalt_noob; 08-15-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Additionally
Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Probably the tune
Old 08-15-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
^what he said, le5 tune is just a basic, like super basic, super super basic, super duper basic tune.... Lol
Tell me from experience lol and this was years ago.... And they still provide poor tune for boosted le5.
I used the autolite, then NGK, and now I'm using LNF OEM plugs lol
I get spark blow out at high rpm, in 3rd gear at wot. Haven't seen if I would get it in other gears, as the quarter of a mile end by then lol
Nothing to gap, just plug and play lol
Old 08-15-2016, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Probably the tune
So with the Flash that they did, would you think if it was taken to a dyno that they should be able to dial it in??

Also, would you think I could still drive it? My old lady is getting ready to start school and I've just been using her car... What do ya think, if I just took it easy?

I just got in from checking all the wires to the coils, apparently there is/was a factory splice that connected all of them together?

Crappy pic. But I cut that all out and spliced. It seemed to be a bit happier about that! Lol.

I don't know if this helps, but when I reverse and start to turn the wheel, the RPM drops and wants to cut out??? Could this be related???
Old 08-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by DFZ24
^what he said, le5 tune is just a basic, like super basic, super super basic, super duper basic tune.... Lol
Tell me from experience lol and this was years ago.... And they still provide poor tune for boosted le5.
I used the autolite, then NGK, and now I'm using LNF OEM plugs lol
I get spark blow out at high rpm, in 3rd gear at wot. Haven't seen if I would get it in other gears, as the quarter of a mile end by then lol
Nothing to gap, just plug and play lol
You mean the tune that ZZP does??
Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt_noob
You mean the tune that ZZP does??
Yes
When I got their tune, the car drove acceptably I would say (is that a word? Lol), and the cluster wouldn't work at all lol
And this was on their ECM. So I ask for the file, send it to my tuner andmy tuner tweaked it and program my factory ECM. And I return their ECM.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

what are your codes?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 AM

what are your codes?
I've got no active codes other than when I'm WOT and the CEL starts flashing which then I get a p0300...
Old 08-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

okay what are the stored or pending codes?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 AM

okay what are the stored or pending codes?
P0300 pending
Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Do you have any logging software like HPTuners or Torque app? At a minimum an OBD2 bluetooth or wifi reader?

With a heavily modified vehicle you need to be logging everything.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM

Do you have any logging software like HPTuners or Torque app? At a minimum an OBD2 bluetooth or wifi reader?

With a heavily modified vehicle you need to be logging everything.
Look bub, if all you're going to do is bust my ***** and not give me any positive input, then please, just stay out. I got enough hastle than to be preached at about what I should and should not do/have. I'm not asking for life advice here!

And to answer your question, no. I have an aero force scan gauge as far as OBD scanning goes. My friend has a scan computer that goes a bit in depth but that's about it. I can see I'm getting misfires, what more do you need? As far as the tune from ZZP goes, I don't know what they do. If I had HP Tuners I would've done it myself...
Old 08-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_noob
Look bub, if all you're going to do is bust my ***** and not give me any positive input, then please, just stay out. I got enough hastle than to be preached at about what I should and should not do/have. I'm not asking for life advice here!

And to answer your question, no. I have an aero force scan gauge as far as OBD scanning goes. My friend has a scan computer that goes a bit in depth but that's about it. I can see I'm getting misfires, what more do you need? As far as the tune from ZZP goes, I don't know what they do. If I had HP Tuners I would've done it myself...
Sorry if I came across as rude. I'm sure I have in this thread.

I really can't think of any other way to help.

Logging with HPTuners or similar would help us a ton. Could also pull the tune from the ECU and post it as well.

As for misfires, I know you are seeing the P0300. Can you setup the aeroforce to see Misfires for each cylinder?

Still need a compression test to see if motor is good.

Also, maybe pull the valve cover and make sure everything looks good under there. Could have a fucked up rocker or something.

I'm still guessing tune.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:52 PM

Sorry if I came across as rude. I'm sure I have in this thread.

I really can't think of any other way to help.

Logging with HPTuners or similar would help us a ton. Could also pull the tune from the ECU and post it as well.

As for misfires, I know you are seeing the P0300. Can you setup the aeroforce to see Misfires for each cylinder?

Still need a compression test to see if motor is good.

Also, maybe pull the valve cover and make sure everything looks good under there. Could have a fucked up rocker or something.

I'm still guessing tune.
No worries!

Yes, taking off the valve cover after work. Is there something specific in the rockers I should look for? I know I was going to check for a broken spring... Are there any clues to look for that might point to leaky valve seals?
This may be a dumb question but I was thinking, if I took the valve cover off, would I be able to start it and look for something wrong? Besides a gust of wind blowing a bunch of dirt at that exact moment, would that be a bad idea??

See I'm leaning towards something with the valves... The thing is this isn't the original engine. My last one the timing went out and piston smacked the valves, got this one from LKQ and they're supposed to compression check it before it ships. In good faith, I'm trusting they did! A compression test wouldn't tell them if the valves were bad though, would it? So I'm thinking that is the next POA(plan of action)
About the best I can get with the aero force gauge is just real time misfire count. And I can see a log of what cylinders misfires with it, but it shows all of them have misfires. My buddy with the scanner can real time watch each cylinder when it misfires. But that's it. And usually when it pops up in his, it shows just one of them misfiring. So I dunno.... Maybe it is the tune. ZZP sure doesn't want to offer any solid advice or admit to maybe a tuning fault.

Lastly, I would love to get HPTuners! Waiting for maybe tax season to come around for that but for now it's all just a bit of old fashioned know how..

Last edited by Cobalt_noob; 08-16-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Additionally
Old 08-16-2016, 04:07 PM

Do not start the car with the valve cover off.

You are looking for any rocker/spring that is not in it's proper place.

A compression test and leakdown test should tell you if piston or valves are bad.

Dry and wet compression test is also helpful.

As for HPTuners, you could try the regional forum on here and see if you can find someone that has HPtuners and see if they can run a log.

Last edited by umrdyldo; 08-16-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:01 PM

Do not start the car with the valve cover off.

You are looking for any rocker/spring that is not in it's proper place.

A compression test and leakdown test should tell you if piston or valves are bad.

Dry and wet compression test is also helpful.

As for HPTuners, you could try the regional forum on here and see if you can find someone that has HPtuners and see if they can run a log.
Will do that and get back to everyone.... hopefully there is someone around willing. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 PM

Run stock lnf plugs.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
Run stock lnf plugs.
this is a dang good point I'm sure the LNF plugs fit just fine and are really good.

Stock LNF plugs, stock gap.

Can get from Amazon.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:37 PM

Ya I've been running them. I've ran 3 sets.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Alright, those are in the bag as far as plugs go. I contacted ZZP about doing a leakdown and verifying if indeed there are bad valves, or hopefully not bad rings. Also, I brought up about possibly retuning the ECM, no dice on that. They seemed to be pretty solid in their response in regards to the tune... Bit of back and forth here.
At any rate, waiting on the leakdown tester here shortly and will update you guys on that. Thanks for your support!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered running a crank re-learn? If I am following correctly you swapped your engine and hence your crank angle sensor. At bare minimum should do that for good book work.

I agree with the members, a log would be nice to see!

Quick Reply: Mystery Misfires 2.4l LE5 Supercharged