2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

New features in HP Tuners

Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New features in HP Tuners

Has anyone checked out the new features in Hp tuners 2.1.14?

This is where VVT changes the game.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=58524
Old 10-17-2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks Bigworm,Im about to install my new vvtii-f stg2 cams so this just got me even more confused,the tuner is a pro,so he should be able to figure this out,Im doing the dyno/tune in a week and a half
Old 10-17-2006, 05:12 PM

Mike, im not sure anyone has figure this stuff out yet outside of car developers (and chris). I mean this isnt normal speed density tuning with one VE table, this is a matrix of VE tables that all interlock.

good luck with the cams, I've got my money on stand-by for dec 1st =]
Old 10-17-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by bigworm
Mike, im not sure anyone has figure this stuff out yet outside of car developers (and chris). I mean this isnt normal speed density tuning with one VE table, this is a matrix of VE tables that all interlock.

good luck with the cams, I've got my money on stand-by for dec 1st =]
they should be on the car Friday and Ill drive for a week then dyno,if the vvti takes over and does the job,Imight save my noney and get the Dp/header instead, and just pay for a quick pull to get the cams results, any advice in which way to go would be apprciated
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM

some one wanna re-explain whats said on that forum in dummy term?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by UpOnGaMe
some one wanna re-explain whats said on that forum in dummy term?
trust me, theres no "simple" way to explain. I'll try tho...

Normally, most cars have the ablity to remove thier MAF sensor and run the car in open loop (open loop is ignoring your O2 sensor), this is called speed density, or SD for short. To tune in SD, you would normally use your primary VE table combined with your wideband's results in the scanner (or using long term fuel trims, LTFT). this is an extremely simple process. The idea is that your in full control of your car's fueling, very helpful for turbo charging, altho you lose the computer's ablity to tune itself.

Now back to what Chris is explaining, instead of our cars having a "simple" primary VE table, we actually have two "phases" mixed with different maf and rpm zones. this isnt something that can be graphed in a two dimensional table, like everything else is in HP tuners. However if you scroll to the bottom of the thread you'll see that someone has made a 3d graph in excel to simulate what the VE table would look like.

Where to start tuning? I'm stuck at work right now, but im going to see tonight =]
Where i'll begin is exactly how the one guy did on the thread. Start with recreating a 3D VE table to see what im working with...

Has anyone actually started on this track yet?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:20 PM

Bigworm,Im buying my hp credits from a member and using the software from a 2.0,this member was telling me that the tune/dyno shop can do this because the two basically share the same peramiters,but may take a little longer though, can you shed some light on this for me??/
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM

that was pretty good big perm i mean big worm j/k
Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
Bigworm,Im buying my hp credits from a member and using the software from a 2.0,this member was telling me that the tune/dyno shop can do this because the two basically share the same peramiters,but may take a little longer though, can you shed some light on this for me??/
Mike, dont do it man!@#$!

if i understand you correctly they want to take the OS from the 2.0L and put it on your G5?! You'll have a huge paperweight when thier done. Not to mention theres NO reason at all to do this, the 2.4L's OS is more then enough to get high levels of preformance. The OS shouldn't be used, nor should the tables be copied over. They are completely different.

I've not dyno'd yet, i have an exhaust leak that is holding me back, but its safe to assume i've picked up at least 10-12hp from just simple spark and fuel tuning. I highly suggest finding someone else that will tune your car... or pick up hp tuners and a wideband yourself.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:26 AM

update if anyone is interested:
I got carneb to post the link to his spreadsheet. check the bottom post.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:50 PM

am i all alone in my 2.4L haxs0r ways?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Mike, dont do it man!@#$!

if i understand you correctly they want to take the OS from the 2.0L and put it on your G5?! You'll have a huge paperweight when thier done. Not to mention theres NO reason at all to do this, the 2.4L's OS is more then enough to get high levels of preformance. The OS shouldn't be used, nor should the tables be copied over. They are completely different.

I've not dyno'd yet, i have an exhaust leak that is holding me back, but its safe to assume i've picked up at least 10-12hp from just simple spark and fuel tuning. I highly suggest finding someone else that will tune your car... or pick up hp tuners and a wideband yourself.
Mike didn't word it quite right. He meant to say that a 2.0l owner, owns HPTuners Pro and is letting Mike buy the credits needed to tune his 2.4l.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
they should be on the car Friday and Ill drive for a week then dyno,if the vvti takes over and does the job,Imight save my noney and get the Dp/header instead, and just pay for a quick pull to get the cams results, any advice in which way to go would be apprciated

i wouldn't run cams without a tune...you can do it, you would just be alot better off with a tune.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Mike didn't word it quite right. He meant to say that a 2.0l owner, owns HPTuners Pro and is letting Mike buy the credits needed to tune his 2.4l.
Ah, much better. In that case spark, fuel(maf high/low), dfco, and PE enables, thats all you really need... dyno it up and get an easy 10-12hp.

the stuff im refering to in the new update deals with replacing the MAF.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 PM

Ah, much better. In that case spark, fuel(maf high/low), dfco, and PE enables, thats all you really need... dyno it up and get an easy 10-12hp.

the stuff im refering to in the new update deals with replacing the MAF.
Ah! thanks to Bigworm and Rod, for clearing that up for me I feel much more confident doing this now
Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
i wouldn't run cams without a tune...you can do it, you would just be alot better off with a tune.
I agree with the mustang guy.

but it would be nice if he'd dyno with the stock tune, i think that would give a better understanding to the rest of us of how the cams change things from stock. then a second run with it tuned...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:24 PM

I agree with the mustang guy.

but it would be nice if he'd dyno with the stock tune, i think that would give a better understanding to the rest of us of how the cams change things from stock. then a second run with it tuned...
thats how its going down, Ill be doing 2 maybe three pulls
Old 10-18-2006, 08:42 PM

you got me waiting g5mike got me waiting.............
Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM

you got me waiting g5mike got me waiting.............
Have you been updating the guys over at the HHR boards about the cams???
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 PM

ok mike CHECK THIS OUT the HHR guys fight more then anything alot of us stay away from their site because a supporting vendor only comes in talks down about ANY thing we bring up that he does not carry we usually tell people to come here for the real deal. BUT YES i am telling them and YES there are HHR's out there that want in on these up and coming cams but you will start finding more HHR' owners here =)
Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish i understood how to tune period...
Old 10-19-2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
I wish i understood how to tune period...
if you understand how to move advance on your dad's old nova, and know how to fill in an excel spreedsheet, you can tune.

think of hp tuners as the modern day distrubtor and flow valves... thats all it is, except much more powerful and acurate. i might write a 2.4 specific intro, but really more interested in comparing notes with other 2.4 guys before i start posting a how-to... doesnt seem to be many 2.4L guys using hp tuners tho =/
Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 AM

ok mike CHECK THIS OUT the HHR guys fight more then anything alot of us stay away from their site because a supporting vendor only comes in talks down about ANY thing we bring up that he does not carry we usually tell people to come here for the real deal. BUT YES i am telling them and YES there are HHR's out there that want in on these up and coming cams but you will start finding more HHR' owners here =)
I cant wait to see these insome 2.4 HHr goin down the road and smokin some unsuspecting racer
Old 10-19-2006, 12:07 PM

Yes mike that will be me but N/A have them cam's, civic si pulls up i pass he crys can't wait either can't wait either.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:37 PM

doesnt seem to be many 2.4L guys using hp tuners tho =/
i will be

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New features in HP Tuners